Tomatoes "King of Kings" is declared by the producer as medium late. This means that the period from the emergence of seedlings to the collection of tomatoes is 110-120 days. The variety is intended for cultivation in greenhouse conditions.
The description of the variety is as follows:
- Shrubs high powerful, grow to 1.8 m.
- Fruits differ in large size (the minimum mass of tomatoes is 250-300 g). Often grow giant tomatoes, whose weight reaches 1.5 kg.
- Tomatoes have sugary pulp and smooth, glossy peels.
- The fruit has a rounded shape, slightly flattened on both sides.
- Tomatoes are painted in rich bright red color.
- The period of fruiting is stretched, the first fruits appear at the end of July and continue to fill until the end of September.
- The “King of Kings” does not have a very high yield, on average about 5 kg of selected tomatoes are harvested from 1 square meter, but this is more than offset by the size and taste of the fruit.
- The variety is resistant to many diseases characteristic of tomatoes, and these tomatoes have excellent transportability.
Growing seedlings: step by step instructions
To get a strong seedling, you should break the work into several stages:
- To obtain seedlings, tomato seeds are planted 60-70 days before planting seedlings in open ground. The optimal landing period is mid-March.
- Seeds should be pre-treated in a light pink solution of potassium permanganate for the prevention of disease.
- After that, they need to germinate, wrapped in a damp cotton cloth and placed in a warm place.
- Capacities for seedlings are filled with a light nutrient substrate composed of 2 parts of garden soil, 1 part of humus and sand (cultivation of seedlings in universal soil gives excellent results).
- Substrate moisturize and make grooves about 1 cm deep.
- They carefully lay out the sprouted tomato seeds and fall asleep with the substrate.
- The container with plantings is placed in a warm and bright place and periodically moisten the soil.
- The first shoots will appear in a week.
- After the appearance of 2-3 true leaves, the seedlings dive, planting them in separate pots.
Planting in the greenhouse is carried out in the middle or at the end of May with the establishment of stable positive temperatures. Tomato variety "King of Kings" is a powerful and tall plant, therefore, between seedlings need to leave plenty of space. Planting scheme - 3 seedlings per 1 sq. M.
Further cultivation of culture is reduced to regular watering with warm water, weeding, loosening the soil. Plants need pasynkovanie, all lateral shoots required to cut, leaving no hemp. The shrub is formed in 1-2 stems, so that larger and fleshy tomato fruits take more nutrients.
Bushes should be regularly spud, making organic or mineral fertilizers for each plant. The King of Kings responds well to foliar fertilizing with a solution of wood ash (200 g per 10 l of water).
Plants must be tied up. Under the weight of the fruit shoots can fall to the ground. Tomatoes are tied to pegs in a week after transplanting to the ground.
To make the fruit more sugary, experienced gardeners recommend watering the tomatoes with salt and ash water. In 10 liters of water add 1 tbsp. l salt and 1 cup ash. Under each bush poured 500 ml of solution. A very effective dressing is watering with the addition of manure or grass mass. The ingredients are drawn in a barrel, then 1 liter of the infusion is added to 10 l of water and poured over 0.5 liter for each plant. As a result, tomatoes become more sugary and become saturated in color.
Harvesting and storage
The fruits of the royal tomato have a rather dense skin, therefore they are well tolerated in transportation, they do not crumple and are not damaged during the journey. Ripened ripe tomatoes can be stored in the refrigerator for several days. For subsequent ripening, they can be removed in the stage of milky ripeness or brown. Each fruit is then recommended to wrap in a newspaper and put in a box in which they will ripen in a few days.
Very tasty fresh tomatoes. Tomatoes of this variety are excellent salads, sauces, they are used in the preparation of lecho and ketchup. But for salting, they are not suitable, because large fruits simply do not fit into the jar.
The collection is recommended in the morning, after drying out the dew. The fruits are cut together with the stem and laid out in a dry container.
Gardeners, who tested the variety on their plots, praise him a lot, considering it one of the most delicious. The reviews are only good, although they are not very many, since the “King of Kings” is not yet very common.
Advantages and disadvantages
Among the obvious "pluses" are the following:
- Large, beautiful fruits,
- Great taste
- The possibility of transportation
- Good preservation of the crop,
- Immunity from phytophtora.
Despite the positive aspects, there are also disadvantages:
- High cost of seed
- Unsuitability for canning or pickling.
However, in this variety they tried to combine all the best qualities of other types of tomatoes.
Application of fruits
This table variety is suitable for processing into juices, mashed potatoes, pasta. Use the "King of Kings" and in salads. But for canning or pickling these tomatoes are best not to use.
Crop varieties of tomatoes:
A sufficiently long ripening period implies not only the correct formation of the bush, but also the cultivation of tomatoes in regions with cool and short summer under film shelters or in greenhouses, because, according to gardeners, from the Northern regions, the crop does not have time to fully ripen when cultivated on the ridges open soil and fruits will need ripening.
Fruit characteristics and yield
Hybrid "King of Kings" is characterized as a sort of medium late or late ripening. Approximately 120 days should pass from planting seeds for seedlings to harvesting the first crop. With proper shaping, timely watering and dressing, the level of yield can reach 5 kg of tomatoes from one shrub.
- "King of Kings" is rightfully considered a giant variety - the weight of one fruit can vary from 400 to 1000 grams,
- up to 5 vegetables are formed on each flower brush,
- the shape of the tomato is rounded and slightly flat, the surface is ribbed,
- color is bright red
- the pulp is fleshy, dense, not too juicy,
- taste sweet, with unexpressed light sourness,
- each fruit contains from 4 to 8 seed chambers with thick and fleshy partitions.
Selection of seedlings
Seed hybrid material is desirable to buy in proven gardening stores that guarantee the quality of their products. In addition to checking the integrity of the packaging, the consultant should find out whether the seeds were pre-treated with disinfectants or other preparations. In case the seedlings are not cultivated by anything, the gardener will have to prepare it herself.
Soil and fertilizer
Particular attention should be paid to the quality of the soil in which the acquired seeds will be placed, since further correct formation of tomato bushes may depend on this. The best option would be to buy ready-made soil marked “for peppers and tomatoes,” but if you wish, you can prepare the soil mix yourself.
Light, nutrient substrate (pH from 6.2 to 6.8) must consist of two parts of garden soil, 1 part of humus and 1 part of compost. Also, a small amount of wood ash should be added to the soil. Next, the resulting ground composition must be disinfected - put on a slow warming in the oven or pour over the pot with boiling water.
In addition to worries about the soil, an important point in the future of healthy sprouting seedlings are well-maintained conditions of detention:
- The air temperature in the room where the seedlings will develop must be maintained at + 23-25 ° C.
- To maintain good coverage of the seedlings can be placed on the south window sill or glazed balcony. If the windows of the room do not go to the right side, the tanks can be located on the northern part, additionally using fluorescent lamps (40 watts) for lighting. Above the landings, the bulbs are placed at a distance of 10 cm, the duration of additional lighting is 8 hours per day with a total lamp power of 120 watts per square meter. m
- The optimum indicator of air humidity is from 55 to 70%.
Content and location
For future landings, it is necessary to purchase wide and shallow containers (containers or boxes) with drainage holes made.
After two large leaves appear on the plants, the saplings dive into large plastic cups or peat pots, not forgetting to periodically water and loosen the soil substrate. The location of the tanks is a south glazed window sill with good solar lighting.
Care of seedlings
Proper maintenance of varietal tomato shoots is an important intermediate process before planting in open ground. Care involves the following steps:
- Watering. It is necessary to moisturize the seedlings 4 days after their germination, further manipulation is carried out in 3-7 days, depending on the humidity of the air and the soil, which should be slightly dried out. It is desirable to water the seedlings through the stalk, without touching the leaves, previously defended and warmed up to + 22 ° C with water.
- Organic fertilizing plants produce only 1 or 2 times, provided the soil mixture is correctly compiled. You can prepare the fertilizer yourself - insist a mullein (1 l per 10 l of water) or purchase a ready-made mineral balanced top dressing marked “for tomatoes”.
- Approximately 10-15 days before planting in the ground shoots need to be hardened. The procedure is carried out in order to further shrubs hurt less and give the maximum yield. Sprouts of the “King of Kings” variety begin to harden only after the appearance of 4-5 leaflets on them, as well as after setting a certain air temperature on the loggia and the street (during the daytime up to + 12 ° С). Initially, containers are carried out on the glazed balcony for only a few hours, increasing the time interval with each passing day, then the seedlings are left overnight for several days. Hardening on the street is carried out by the initial removal for 2-3 hours for 3 days, with each day, the residence time is increased by an hour until the plants stay on the air for the whole day.
Transplanting seedlings to ground
Approximately in 60-70 days, the friendly shoots of tomatoes can be transplanted to a permanent place, in our case - in open ground. The transplantation process is carried out in early May on a cloudy, but without precipitation day, based on the recommended scheme: for 1 square meter. m placed 3 shrubs at a distance of 40-50 cm from each other.
- Holes are made in the soil with a spade bayonet.
- Pits generously watered with a dark solution of potassium permanganate.
- Lay, and then mixed with humus, 50 g of wood ash, 100 g of superphosphate, 30 g of potash and 1 tsp of magnesium sulfate.
- Tomatoes are deepened two times farther than in the tank.
- After disembarkation, shrubs must be watered abundantly.
The main condition for the maintenance of a hybrid in open areas is the correct choice of place for future plantings - it must be well lit and protected from the north wind.
You should also remember about undesirable neighbors for the “King of Kings” - peppers, eggplants, potatoes or tomatoes of other varieties should not grow near future plantations, while parsley, dill, cucumbers and cabbage will constitute a favorable neighborhood of seeds. Because of the relatively weak resistance to cold, manufacturers recommend growing the variety "King of Kings" in the open ground in Ukraine, Moldova, as well as in the southern regions of Russia. In the northern latitudes, plants can develop and bear fruit only in greenhouses or greenhouses.
The process of planting seeds in the ground
The timing of sowing seeds in open soil is mostly dependent on the weather conditions of a particular region. If we talk about the southern countries and the central part of Russia, the landing may well take place already by the May holidays. Previously, sowing tomatoes does not make sense - the sprouts still will not sprout, waiting for the onset of warm days. Landing in the ground should be carried out step by step, with the preliminary preparation of land and seeds:
- about a day, the seeds should be placed in cheesecloth, which is then dipped in warm water (temperature up to + 29 ° C) for 3 hours. Next, the seeds are wrapped in dry gauze and laid out on the window sill overlooking the south side (for 1 day),
- It is advisable to prepare the soil one month before planting the tomatoes - for this, the earth is well digged onto a full bayonet of a shovel and fertilized (3 kg of humus per 1 sq. m and 1 teaspoon of nitroammofoski). Next, the area is loosened, leveled and covered for warming up with plastic film,
- the seeds are laid in heated holes no larger than 1 cm in size, sprinkled with a 2-centimeter layer of soil on top. In this case, the material can be poured with a small margin (3-4 pieces) - so, in the future, you can determine and select the strongest sprout, and remove the weak one,
- After sowing, the soil should be slightly compacted with hands, and then watered with warm water (1/2 cup per well).
Watering seeds planted in an open area should be as needed. Subject to the presence of fine days, moisture is made every 3-4 days, always with warm water under the roots of the plants. It is important to prevent the ingress of moisture on the trunks and leaves to prevent the development of fungal diseases.
Video: watering tomatoes and its features
Soil loosening and weeding
Loosening the soil in the tomato rows is carried out after each watering, together with weeding. In the first 2-3 weeks after planting, the loosening depth should reach 12 cm, then, in order not to accidentally damage the roots - about 5-7 cm. After the growth of shrubs procedure must be combined with hilling or bedding humus soil.
Grazing on shrubs of this variety is one of the main conditions for good development and rich yield.
The process itself consists of pinching the tops of the stems (starting with the lower stepsons) until the formation of 1 or 2 stems. It is recommended to carry out the manipulation regularly, about 2-3 times over the entire growth period.
The need for tying tomatoes is characterized in several points:
- fruits on tied-up plants get more sunlight and are much better ventilated,
- when ripening large tomatoes, the bushes may not sustain their weight and break,
- fruits in contact with the ground are subject to frequent pest attacks.
There are 5 most common ways of garter among gardeners:
- wire frame,
- horizontal trellis,
- vertical trellis,
- wire mesh and wire fence.
Every 2 weeks from the moment of germination of shoots, it is necessary to make complex balanced fertilizers (for example, nitroammofosku) under shrubs. In addition to the purchased product, fertilizing is produced by tincture of nettle, which maximally vitamins the soil and strengthens the immune system of the plants.
Also, to increase the number of ovaries on the bushes and better ripening of fruits, gardeners often make nitrogen, potash and superphosphate fertilizers.
Pests, diseases and prevention
One of the nice features of the King of Kings variety is its minimal susceptibility to late blight, but this does not give any guarantee of resistance to other diseases and attacks of pests.
Possible grade diseases:
- macroporiosis - a fungal disease that appears on the leaves of the plant in the form of rounded brown spots (1 cm in diameter) with pronounced concentric circles. Spots gradually merge into one and provoke a complete desiccation of foliage,
- tomato strick - viral infection, which is accompanied by the appearance of brown necrotic strips on the stems, and on the petioles and leaves brown spots of irregular shape,
- gray rot - A fungal infection characterized by watery spots on green or ripening fruits. Further, the tomatoes rot and become covered with white mold,
- physiological disease - twisting leaves. It develops in plants with a weakened root system, mainly from the lack of phosphate nutrition and the late removal of the stepsons. In addition to the strong twisting of foliage, the yield of affected shrubs significantly decreases.
- preliminary disinfection of soil and seed before planting,
- maintaining proper irrigation and fertilizing;
- periodic spraying of garlic tincture with potassium permanganate, iodine and milk solution (15 drops of iodine per half liter of milk), wood ash decoction, as well as professional preparations: Zaslon, Mancozeb, Brexil Sa, Glyocladinol, Flendazol ".
Possible problems and recommendations
In addition to the problems associated with various diseases and pests, the gardener can face such an unpleasant phenomenon as the sudden fall of the ovaries with fruits and flowers from the tomato bush. The reasons for what is happening can be unfavorable conditions of detention:
- watering with cold water
- too high air humidity (over 80%),
- lack of nutrients (poor quality plant nutrition).
Growing tomatoes "King of Kings" in the open ground is not an easy task, but absolutely any gardener who invests the necessary resources, strength and soul into his planting can cope with it.