Among the spices known all over the world, black pepper is the undisputed leader. This seasoning, which today is in every kitchen, in the old days was worth its weight in gold. The history has kept documentary evidence even to the fact that black peppers were once calculated by merchants. By the way, in the Middle Ages, the rich dowry gave this precious spice to their daughters.
The secret to black pepper success
From the same ancient sources, it was possible to establish that this culture first appeared in India. With the development of navigation, this spice first spread in Asia, and only then came to Europe. The popularity of black peas with a specific spicy smell grew at an incredible speed, and soon black pepper was already known on all continents.
Today, the cultivation of this culture are engaged mainly in regions with a tropical climate. This business is well-placed in such countries as Indonesia and Brazil. Also suppliers of black pepper to many countries of the world are small island states in the Pacific and Indian Ocean. The economy of these countries is based precisely on the trade in pepper.
What is a plant
As already noted, favorable habitat for black pepper is the tropics. Shrubs, outwardly similar to curly liana, after violent flowering give a lot of small fruits, peas. To obtain high-quality spices, unripe fruits are taken: they are dried, then crushed on special equipment and packaged in a container that can reliably protect precious powder from moisture and retain the flavor. This is an important condition, otherwise the product that has lost its main qualities is of no value.
But dry peas, unlike ground pepper, are not so demanding and can be stored for many years. In a ground form, the spice loses its amazing flavor in three months.
Depending on the technology used for harvesting, the color of the fruits of a pepper bush can be:
- white - for this variety is characterized by a delicate aroma and it is less pungent in taste,
- red is the sharpest variety that comes from well-ripened fruits,
- green - this is fresh fruit, also often used in culinary practice.
An important point! The acuteness of black pepper and its taste characteristics largely depend not so much on the variety, but on the country that supplied the goods. Especially burning is Indian pepper.
Black pepper composition
- alkaloids (piperine),
- essential oil,
- mineral elements
- a complex of vitamins, including C and E,
In minimal doses, proteins and fats are present in the seasoning. This health-friendly kit can provide a variety of properties that help to cope with diseases.
Pepper - useful and effective
The ability of black pepper to have a therapeutic effect makes it the most useful of all seasonings. Seasoning has the following qualities:
- improves appetite
- stimulates the production of digestive enzymes,
- has a pronounced antibacterial property,
- is a natural antioxidant
- improves blood circulation, which has a positive effect on heart and brain activity,
- prevents the development of malignant tumors,
- possesses analgesic properties
- is an excellent expectorant
- thanks to the ability to thin the blood, prevents the formation of blood clots,
- lowers cholesterol
- stimulates sexual activity.
It activates the production of endorphin (the hormone of "happiness") and serotonin - a hormone responsible for many functions in the body, including immunity and good sleep.
What diseases can pepper be used for?
All the qualities listed here allow us to consider black ground pepper as an effective means of treating such pathologies and conditions:
- digestive disorders,
- thrombosis and thrombophlebitis,
- liver dysfunctions, kidneys.
Suitable ground pepper for solving preventive tasks. For example, it can effectively counter such insidious diseases as a stroke or heart attack. It has a positive effect on the immune system, and its specific aroma does not allow a viral infection to penetrate into the body.
Ways to use
In cooking, black pepper is widely used in any form: as part of mixed seasonings, in the form of peas, and ground. Its bright smell persists long enough. Pepper is especially good when it is added to meat and fish dishes. Improving the taste of food, he quietly provides great benefits to the body. Given the low energy load, which is equal to 250 kcal per 100 grams of pure product, ground pepper can be considered a truly unique spice. After all, in order to "eat" as much as 100 grams of pepper will take years.
For medical purposes, pepper is used primarily in the form of component supplements to vegetable or other formulations.
- The only situation where the use of pure ground pepper is allowed is the treatment of wounds and scratches. The wound is simply sprinkled on top of the powder. This cleans the affected surface from germs and stops the bleeding.
- Pepper can be cured with the help of pepper, if you mix a little seasoning with soy flour and olive oil. All ingredients are taken in equal parts, mixed, and the resulting ointment is subsequently processed problem areas.
- This spice copes with catastrophic hair loss. Alopecia, namely the so-called pathology, from which many men suffer, can be cured by preparing such a composition: salt, black pepper, onion juice. All components must be mixed, then applied to the scalp and leave for 30 minutes. After that, the healing mask is washed off.
Slimming with pepper
According to experts on diets and experimenters in this area, it is easy to lose weight if you drink a glass of kefir on an empty stomach every morning with a pinch of pepper dissolved in the drink. It is said that in such a simple way it is possible to lose up to 2 kg in a week. But this recipe can be used only by those who have no problems with the stomach.
All the listed properties make ground pepper indispensable if it is used in moderation.
When pepper is contraindicated
Of course, a product with such special qualities as pepper has a number of limitations. It is better to refuse it to people who have:
- stomach ulcer,
- acute cystitis and other inflammatory processes in the kidneys,
- abdominal surgery (due to the threat of bleeding).
Although pregnant women and lactating mothers are not strictly limited to the use of pepper, but the presence of this hot spice in their menu should be reduced to a minimum, but it is better to refuse at all.
What is it and how is it growing?
Pepper tree is a vine, something resembling grapes, trees that are covered with a long, flexible stem can be up to 15 meters long. Leaves are leathery, greyish-green, egg-shaped up to 10 cm. Small white flowers are collected in hanging ears. Fruits are green peas. Depending on the ripening stage and processing technology, black, white or pink pepper is obtained.
The most popular in cooking is black pepper. Although recently quite often on sale you can find a mixture of other peppers: black, white, red and green. This is the same pepper. They differ from each other only in fruit processing technology.
- The black - This is an unripe green fruit of pepper tree. In the process of drying, it acquires a black color and a rough surface.
- White - harvested a little later, when it is ripe and processed, peeling the top layer.
- Red (pink) - it is quite ripe fruit of the pepper tree.
- Green - it is not reached technical ripeness false pepper pods that are treated with sulfur dioxide, so that the fruits are not moldy.
In cooking, black pepper is more commonly used, it can be peas or ground, the beneficial properties are not lost.
Black pepper in the Middle Ages paid for any product or service. The darker, harder and heavier the black pepper, the more valuable it was. So, the measure of quality then was: 1000 peas were supposed to weigh 460 grams. For fake, they were threatened with imprisonment and even death.
Europeans learned about seasoning 6 centuries ago and appreciated it very highly. He was valued on par with gold. Thanks to black pepper, the most significant geographical discoveries that Vasco da Gama and Magellan made.
Composition and calorie
The beneficial properties of black pepper are due to its rich composition.
- Vitamins - A (beta-carotene), E (tocopherol), groups B - B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B4 (choline), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), B12 (cyanocobalamin), C (ascorbic acid), PP (niacin), K (phylloquinone),
- Minerals - sodium, potassium, sodium, calcium, phosphorus,
- Trace elements - manganese, stranded, zinc, selenium, fluorine, iron.
The most valuable substance that is in the composition of pepper is piperine. This is a unique substance related to alkaloids. This is what we feel the sharpness and burning sensation in the mouth.
The caloric value of 100 g of the product is 255 kcal. Given that the seasoning we add to food in small quantities, the caloric content of the product is literally close to zero.
Useful and healing properties
The main active ingredient is piperine. It is thanks to him that the blood circulation and blood supply are improved in the body, the secretory function of the gastrointestinal tract is enhanced and the metabolism is accelerated. It has a bactericidal, analgesic and anticonvulsant action.
More specifically, the beneficial properties of piperine are expressed in the following.
- Regulates the production of a number of enzymes that are necessary for proper metabolism,
- Stimulates the production of digestive enzymes,
- Improves the digestibility of food when it passes through the digestive tract, enhances the absorption of amino acids from food through the intestinal wall into the blood,
- Cleans the digestive tract from toxins and putrid microflora, prevents the development of flatulence,
- Stimulates the production of endorphin and serotonin - the hormones of happiness and pleasure, which increase resistance to stress,
- Contributes to the dilution of blood, enhances its circulation, cleans the blood vessels and brain vessels,
- Strengthens the bone and endocrine system, lungs, uterus, nervous system, improves memory and concentration,
- It promotes enhanced production of melatonin, thereby preventing premature graying of hair and the appearance of vitiligo,
- Reduces the symptoms of bronchial asthma due to the expansion of the bronchi,
- Possesses diaphoretic, diuretic and immunostimulating properties, increases efficiency,
- It is an excellent antioxidant, prevents the development of cancer, liver disease and cardiovascular diseases,
- In folk medicine and cosmetology, it increases the bioavailability of many formulations.
Black pepper has an irritating effect on mucous membranes, so you should completely abandon it or use it in very moderate amounts for individuals who have
- inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract (gastritis, ulcerative lesions in the period of exacerbation),
- mild excitability of the bronchial system, expressed by smelling the smell of a cough or runny nose,
- diseases of the cardiovascular system with a tendency to increase blood pressure.
But, on the contrary, in the presence of low pressure or a state of general fatigue, black pepper will help to shake things up and increase vitality, of course, just not in its pure form.
What is useful black pepper?
- B vitamins - B1, B2, B6, B9,
- beta carotene and vitamin A,
- choline, vitamins C, K and PP,
- mineral salts of zinc, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, fluorine, manganese and copper.
Not to mention such properties of black pepper as the ability to increase body temperature, bactericidal, diaphoretic, diuretic and cleansing effects on the body. Drinking black pepper in moderation helps:
- fight infections
- stimulate the digestive tract,
- helps to cleanse the body of toxins
- reduce increased gas formation in the intestines.
Scientists have proven the ability of black pepper to stop bleeding and prevent the formation of cancer cells.
Black Pepper Slimming
The condiment contains the substance piperine, which prevents the formation of fat cells. In order to lose weight, black pepper can be used not only inside, but outside. By adding it to massage creams and oils, you can quickly get rid of cellulite.
Copying of information is allowed only with a direct and indexed link to the source
Nutritional value and calorie
100 g of black ground pepper contains:
- 10.39 g of proteins
- 3.26 g fat,
- 63.95 g of carbohydrates.
The composition of black pepper includes:
- essential oil,
- fatty oil
- vitamins of groups A, B, C, E and K,
- mineral substances: F (fluorine), Se (selenium), Mn (manganese), Cu (copper), Zn (zinc), Fe (iron), P (phosphorus), K (potassium), Na (sodium), Mg ( magnesium), Ca (calcium).
The constituent elements of the product confirm that it has beneficial properties. But why is black pepper so useful?
Spice is very popular. It is used during the preparation of various dishes for weight loss and treatment.
Spice has often been used as an anti-inflammatory and cleaning agent. Part of the piperine helps to get more nutrients from the consumed food. In addition, with its help, the hormones serotonin and endorphin are produced more actively.
Seasoning is recommended to use for the preparation of medicines for colds. In its composition, in addition to 1 tsp. spices, includes milk (1 tbsp.) and turmeric (1 tsp.). From this seasoning also prepare rubbing for the treatment of disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
With the help of black pepper, urogenital diseases are cured, as well as impotence (at the initial stage). It is also effective in the fight against hair loss.
It is known that this spice increases appetite and immunity, strengthening health.
The use of such spices stimulates appetite and prevents overeating. The best way to get rid of excess weight - to reduce the amount of consumption of fats and carbohydrates, as well as increase physical activity.
Seasoning in the form of a hammer is also used in cooking, in particular, for the preparation of fish and meat dishes. Peas are often used for marinade or soups. It is more stinging than ground, so putting it in a dish is necessary long before it is ready. Spice improves the taste of any dish, and using it to prepare various blanks contributes to the extension of their shelf life. Sometimes it is added to desserts (for example, Russian gingerbread, Baltic cookies) and drinks (various cocktails, tea and coffee).
Independent grinding of peas helps to obtain a more fragrant product (as opposed to the store) with a rich taste.
Harm and contraindications
In addition to the benefits of black pepper, both in the form of peas and in the hammer, there are facts that prove his harm. It is extremely undesirable to use spice during exacerbations of diseases of the urogenital system.
Taking such drugs as "Teovillin", "Propanol" and the like, require the restriction of this spice in your diet, as there is a risk of an allergic reaction.
a lot of biological and geological errors: for example, they wrote that the clay is usually acidified, however.
Great article, lots of great tips! I am now in Thailand and I have a broken head.
Hello! My name is Andrey. I want to learn how to grow watermelons and melons for sale at hectare norms. .
The article has a lot of errors.
The author of this article is clearly not avian animals. The first- Horizontal tab allows you to place in the incubator.
- 2018 Agronomu.com
The editors of the portal can not share the opinion of the author and is not responsible for the copyrighted material, for the accuracy and content of advertising
Black peas familiar to all are the immature fruits of the pepper-type tree lianas that grow in warm latitudes. The usual dark color of the berries is acquired during the period of drying, and it is in this form that the product becomes suitable as a spice - even if whole, even if it is ground. By the way, the white pepper found on sale seems to be the complete opposite of black fruit with the same liana, only having undergone several intermediate processing steps in the form of a two-week soaking in a special solution.
Fragrant seasoning may lose its properties if stored improperly.Since fresh air trapped in a container with spice, also refers to adverse conditions, buying a lot of pepper for the future is not recommended, and if you do small stocks, then in the form of whole grains that are less susceptible to external factors. Grind the pea is best just before use, while there is a rule - the larger and coarser the grinding, the fragrant and hotter the seasoning. Many culinary specialists or people practicing the use of pepper for medicinal purposes do not use the mill at all, but grind or crush the spice in a mortar.
By the way, the weight of the crushed seasoning is easy to determine using a simple teaspoon - exactly 5 g of a sharp granular substance can be placed in one spoon.
Black pepper composition
Black ground pepper, the harm and benefit of which we consider in this material, is a product that stands at a high level of nutritional and energy value. However, due to the small amount of seasoning that enters the human body with food, it is not necessary to speak about the serious value of the substance in the life-support processes.
The calorie content of black ground pepper (100 grams) is 250 kcal. Expanding this figure on the ratio of BZHU, we obtain the following table:
Energy value per 100g
In addition, per 100 g of product accounts for: 12.7 g of water, 25.5 g of fiber, 4.7 g of ash. The vitamin composition of black ground pepper includes at least six types of vitamins of group B, carotenoids (A), ascorbic acid (C), phylloquinone (K), tocopherols and tocotrienols (E). The list of trace elements contained in the product: sodium, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, fluorine, iron, copper, selenium.
Comparative characteristics of the pepper vine fruit
According to the research it turned out that the fruits of pepper liana have the same culinary characteristics, regardless of their appearance, so the default benefit and harm of black pepper in the diet can serve as a description of white grains, and pink and green. However, when using pepper for medicinal purposes, a slight difference in the quantitative content of resins and essential oils can be decisive, so you should not look for an alternative to the specified type of grains or deviate from prescription proportions.
Alkaloid piperine is responsible for the special, specific taste properties of black ground pepper, which also provides the hotness of a long paprika product and is included in the composition of all, without exception, fruits of the “pepper” class plants.
What is Piperine?
Alkaloid piperine is located in the outer shell of pepper grains, that is, the black pea, which is familiar to everyone, devoid of skin, will not have the expected sharpness and healing properties. It is the substance piperine secreted in the form of crystalline granules that forms the harm and benefit of ground black pepper. The characteristic features of this element affect the digestive system, irritating and stimulating it.
Piperine is often used behind the scenes in dietary supplements designed to restore the normal functioning of the intestinal tract, strengthen the immune system, and cleanse the body in a complex of anti-parasitic drugs. In proportions from 10 to 20 mg per day, piperine is taken in combination with the main anti-stress therapy.
It is necessary to understand that this substance cannot be opposed to diseases in its independent form, and in addition, it has a number of contraindications for various injuries of the gastric mucosa, pregnancy and lactation.
Black pepper in cooking
The use of spices in the process of cooking has its own rules, adhering to which it is easy to achieve the maximum disclosure of the taste of spices. So, when cooking first courses, as well as sauces and vegetable stews, a pinch of black ground pepper is laid in the dish at the last stage of its preparation. Using breading when roasting meat or fish fillets in portions, spice is added directly to the flour or rusks. When cooking any minced pepper, it is better to introduce it into the crushed mass simultaneously with the salt - at the initial stage of mixing the ingredients.
Black ground pepper is indispensable in the preparation of meat dishes, but few know that some classic pastries - for example, ordinary gingerbread - also provide for a small amount of hot seasoning in the recipe. As already mentioned, it is advisable to chop the peas to obtain a fragrant loose spice immediately before use, and during storage provide containers with air and moisture impermeability.
The benefits of pepper in medicine
During heat treatment, some useful properties that stipulate the use of black pepper are lost or reduce their effectiveness. Therefore, speaking of decisive therapeutic measures, they do not mean the usual use of spices in the form of seasoning to boiling broths, but the addition of powder to warm or cold water, milk or alcohol solutions. If we are talking about prevention (for example, colds or stomach disorders in the current satisfactory condition of the body), then the preparation of individual funds is not necessary - just sprinkle with a pepper a ready-made and slightly cooled dish.
So specifically, how is black pepper useful? Here is an incomplete list of problems that can be eliminated by regularly adding spice to the diet:
- indigestion associated with the obstruction of the production of gastric juice,
- the accumulation of toxins and the deterioration of the liver, not coping with their conclusion,
- obesity occurring against the background of metabolic disorders,
- dermatitis and other skin lesions (including skin cancer),
- nervous disorders, frequent stress, depressive states.
Particular attention was paid to the properties of black pepper in the study of menopausal syndrome in women over 45 years of age. It turns out that seasoning successfully stabilizes hormones during a sharp decline in estrogen production, which leads to the formation of a more stable state of the nervous system.
Black Pepper Damage
The so-called idiosyncrasy or allergy to black ground pepper is often a simple accumulation of a substance in the body, which happens with excessive predilection for spicy dishes. Such oversaturation with the product of heartburn, constipation, cutting in the epigastric region of the stomach is expressed. If such manifestations occur for the first time, you should temporarily abandon the use of pepper in food and observe the reaction of the body.
Absolute contraindications to the use of spices are:
- inflammatory condition of the genitourinary system,
- acute abdomen syndrome,
- mental disorder, psychosis, excessive mental arousal,
- the presence of stones in the bile ducts,
- postponed nasopharyngeal surgery for the last month.
A relative contraindication is considered the period of pregnancy and lactation, when the pepper is allowed to be received in small quantities in the composition of ready meals. To prevent irritation of gastric tissues with existing problems with the digestive organs, this product should be used together with fatty foods or undergo heat treatment.
Recipes of traditional medicine
Using the spice for treatment, it must be borne in mind that when using black pepper, the harm caused by the product may significantly outweigh the expected benefits. Therefore, it is forbidden to introduce a hot seasoning into the scheme of the main therapeutic treatment without the doctor’s consent when it comes to elderly patients, children, pregnant women, or people at risk for absolute contraindications.
Practical recipes from traditional medicine using black spices:
- From cough. In the water heated to 30 ° C (200 ml), 1/5 tsp of black pepper powder is added, stirred and allowed to drink to the patient before eating. You need to take the medicine 3-5 days twice a day.
- Tonic elixir. One third teaspoon ground seasoning, 1 tbsp. spoon: dried Hypericum, dry wormwood, linden honey and 0.5 tsp of tea leaves mix and pour 500 ml of vodka. Infuse the liquid, stirring occasionally for three months in a dark, cool place. Then drink 0.5 tbsp. spoon three times a day after meals, for 10-15 days.
To use black ground pepper as a medical raw material, bought in the shop packaging and having a shelf life of more than six months, is a useless waste of time and health. This product is able to slightly improve the taste of food, but for medicinal purposes it has no benefit.
This seasoning helps to improve digestion and blood circulation, cleansing the digestive tract from toxins, and also normalizes metabolism. In addition, the spice can increase consumption and burning calories. Its regular use provokes a decrease in the likelihood of developing diseases of the heart and blood vessels, prevents the formation of blood clots. During grinding, most of the oils evaporate, so black pepper in peas is more useful than ground pepper.
Harvesting and storage
Note that in the form of spices, pepper on the market is presented in black, white and green. We are interested in black. It is obtained from not fully ripe fruit of the plant. To clean and prepare them for drying, fruits quickly scald in boiling water. Heat treatment of the plant destroys the cellular wall of pepper, speeding up the work of enzymes that are responsible for "browning". After that, the fruit is dried under the sun or with the help of dryers for several days. During this time, the shell of the fruit is well dried and darkens, thus forming a thin wrinkled layer of black color. In the final form, these fruits are called black peppercorns.
Composition and medicinal properties
The therapeutic benefits of black pepper are quite diverse.
- Benefits for the stomach. Black pepper is able to enhance the secretion of hydrochloric acid, which improves digestion. Good digestion helps to avoid diarrhea, constipation. It prevents the formation of intestinal gases. Also contributes to perspiration and urination.
- The product is effective for weight loss. The outer layer of the grain of this fruit perfectly destroys fat cells. Thus, the use of spices in food helps a person lose those extra pounds.
- Black pepper is good for the skin. Spice can be included in the diet with the disease, when some parts of the skin lose their normal pigmentation. Piperine, which is found in pepper grains, acts as a skin stimulator for the reproduction of pigment. Note that treatment with piperine together with ultraviolet treatments is much more effective than other types of treatment for this disease. Also, black pepper is a good prevention of skin cancer.
Recipe fortifying infusion
The tool is prepared in this way. It is necessary to take 8 peas of black pepper, 1-2 sprigs of wormwood (dried), 2 tsp. St. John's wort flower, 1 leaf of pelargonium, 10 pieces of raisins, 1 tea bag, 1 tbsp. l honey (or, as an alternative to 2 tablespoons of sugar), all this pour 0.5 liters of vodka. Close the bottle, moisten a rag in hot water, wrap the bottle and put it in a bowl with boiling water until the water has completely cooled. Then get a bottle, shake and put in a dark place at room temperature for 3-4 months. In the end, use 50 ml 2 times for 1 meal: 1 glass before meals, the second after meals. Continue 2 times a week.
Ointment for pneumonia
First you need to mix 40 g of black pepper powder, then 40 g of coriander seed powder and 30 g of salt powder. All components are well grind, add boiled warm water and stir until an ointment (gruel) is formed. Lubricate painful spots in the back area with black pepper ointment for the night. On top of this ointment, put a thick cloth to strengthen. The procedure must be repeated every day until recovery.
Infusion for the treatment of sinusitis
A rather unusual use of black pepper in traditional medicine. Pour 0.5 kg of coarse salt into the pan, heat it to 40 degrees, then pour it into a cloth bag and hold about 30 minutes on the forehead (between the eyes). When the bag of salt has cooled, repeat the procedure, after which you can not go out into the fresh air. Next you need to prepare the infusion. 2 tbsp. l dry herb centaury and 1 tbsp. l herbs of yarrow, all this pour 0.5 liters of boiling water, insist about 2 hours and strain. This infusion to gargle for 3 days, sucking in liquid nose. On the third day, you need to put black pepper powder into your nostrils in order to have a good rest. Drops of pus on the handkerchief - evidence of the effectiveness of treatment.