Strawberry is one of the most attractive garden berries, while it has a bright aroma and excellent taste. This berry ripens one of the first, and thanks to its antioxidants and microelements, it is a vitamin of salvation for the human body weakened over the winter.
Although for people who are willing to learn, nothing is impossible, but yesterday's newcomer can cope with the most difficult tasks tomorrow, including growing strawberries. We will look at how to plant strawberries in the fall and how to properly care for this crop after planting open ground. Also below you can get acquainted with the features of planting strawberries under the agrofiber.
Timing for landing
Strawberries can be planted in open ground in both spring and autumn. Spring planting takes place from mid-April to early May, and in the fall this crop is planted from late July to early September.
But you should pay attention to the fact that the timing of planting in open ground may be different depending on the region. In most areas, autumn is the best time. Indeed, at this time, gardeners have a lot of time, planting dates are stretched for six weeks, plenty of planting material, and the weather has a positive effect on the rooting of strawberry sockets.
In addition, the strawberries, which were planted in the autumn, may already produce a crop next year, and if you plant a crop in spring, then this year you should not wait for the berries.
When to plant strawberries in different regions of Russia:
- For central Russia and the Far East, autumn planting should take place from the beginning of August to the end of September.
- For the southern regions of Russia, Ukraine and Moldova, the autumn planting should be made in the period until the end of October.
- For Siberia, the landing should end by mid-August.
- On the territory of the Ural, the time of autumn planting lasts from the end of July to the first decade of September.
It should be noted that strawberries also have some drawbacks, which consist in capriciousness and capriciousness, therefore only experienced gardeners can safely grow this crop year after year.
Preparing for landing
First of all, you need to start with the preparation of strawberries for planting. Seedlings can be purchased at the nursery, and planting material in the garden. Good seedlings should have:
- 3-4 healthy leaves, while others are removed.
- Roots whose length is about 10 cm. If the roots are longer, they must be shortened to normal.
Before the process of planting the roots of each seedling should be lowered into a talker of consistency of liquid sour cream from the soil and humus, diluted with water and growth regulator:
If you are going to plant strawberries in the ground for the first time, then you need to choose the right area for this. The site should be well lit by the sun, but protected from the wind. It is best to choose a place located on the southwest side with a slope of 3 degrees.
Besides, a huge role is played by what crops were previously cultivated on the site. The ideal predecessors are the following: green manure, beans, mustard, radish, peas, radishes, celery, carrots, onions, parsley, garlic. It is undesirable to plant strawberries in the area where the following cultures were previously grown: potatoes, tomato, eggplant, cabbage, cucumber, pepper, hard-growing crops, buttercups.
It should be noted that in the same area strawberries are allowed to grow no more than 4 seasons, after which it must be transplanted to another place.
Autumn planting of strawberry seedlings in the open ground gives positive results only if the execution technology is observed, and in order to improve plant survival it is necessary to ensure that the berry has proper and complete care, including watering, prevention and protection.
When to plant strawberries - in the fall, spring or summer, and why
Along with the traditional terms of spring planting strawberries, gardeners also practiced planting strawberries in the fall in open ground. Many gardeners do not recommend waiting for the onset of autumn and argue that planting strawberries in the summer contributes to better planting and normal wintering.
However, among gardeners there are skeptics who assert that during the autumn planting the saplings can freeze in winter, which ultimately will have a negative impact on the overall yield of berries.
In regions with little snow in late autumn, areas of strawberries are covered with a thick layer of mulch. It will save strawberry seedlings from freezing.
Well, now let's decide when to plant strawberries in the fall, in order to achieve good rooting. It has been experimentally established that the planting of a culture should be started after August 15 and should be completed before September.
This period is favorable in the sense that strawberries before leaving for the winter, will not have time to hit harmful insects and pathogens. Having sustained these terms of landing, we will receive the strong plants leaving in winter with well developed roots.
Now consider the month in which to plant strawberries in the fall with a mustache for its better survival. It should be borne in mind that when planting strawberry seedlings grown from whiskers, they need to be given more time to root, having completed all the work on planting 10 days earlier. It turns out that when using strawberry whiskers as planting material, the landing time falls on August-September.
In addition, when determining the time when planting strawberries in the summer or autumn, you need to consider the weather conditions. Optimal conditions are those under which during the day the air temperature will be from 10 to 20 degrees above zero, and at night the thermometer will stay at the level of +5 degrees.
Summer and early autumn strawberry planting has its advantages and disadvantages, which require detailed consideration. There are more advantages to these planting dates than minuses, so the majority of gardeners are committed to the autumn planting.
The advantages of summer and autumn disembarkation
Planting strawberries in summer and autumn has advantages over spring planting, which are as follows:
- In the fall, the saplings are represented by a large assortment offered by various nurseries, which causes a large selection of planting material in relation to the conditions of your region.
- When planting in the fall, there is an opportunity to harvest the berries for the next year, since the strawberry bushes by the spring acquire a powerful branched root system capable of ensuring normal flowering and the formation of berries.
As with any method, the autumn planting culture has not only positive aspects, but also some disadvantages.
The disadvantages of autumn planting
The disadvantages of this method of landing a bit:
- Requires preliminary preparation of beds before planting. The soil should be dug and fertilized with chemical and organic fertilizers.
- Planting strawberries at these times is always fraught with the risk of freezing of seedlings. This is aggravated by the fact that it is almost impossible to predict in advance when there will be a steady cooling. In this regard, with a sharp change in temperature with a transition to minus, especially when late planting, the bushes do not have time to take root and can freeze out.
As you can see, the disadvantages of this method are significantly less than the positive aspects. That is why this method is becoming more and more adherents.
Depending on the region
In the Urals, the time for planting strawberries comes from the last days of July until September 10, since frosts are observed there in early autumn.
In the Far East, weather conditions make it possible to stretch the planting period until the end of the first autumn month.
South of Russia, Moldova and Ukraine can confidently use for planting the whole of October. And in Siberia, it is necessary to have time to finish the planting work before August 16 or, at best, before the end of summer, because there are early frosts that can destroy unrooted seedlings.
The timing of planting strawberries in the middle of Russia and in the Moscow region is quite blurry: from the beginning of August to the end of September.
Approximately the same landing time as in the Moscow region, adhere to in Belarus and the Leningrad region.
According to the lunar calendar 2018
If you tend to do all the work in the garden according to the lunar calendar, then information about the days when planting strawberries in autumn and summer will be useful. It is known that the moon has a great influence on all plants. In the full moon, for example, there is a strong growth and movement of juices. At this time, it is better to abandon all gardening works, except for harvesting. The fruits will be more juicy.
Favorable days for summer and autumn planting of strawberries in 2018 according to the lunar calendar are the following numbers:
- June - 11-14,
- July - 8-10
- August - 5-7,
- September - 10-12,
- October - 7-10.
And for trimming mustache strawberries best suited for the lunar calendar the following days:
- May - 31,
- June 3-5, 8, 9, 12, 30,
- July - 1, 2, 5-7, 10, 11, 29-31,
- August - 1-3, 6-9, 29, 30,
- September - 2-4, 7, 8, 30,
- October - 1, 4-7.
As you can see, the deadlines for work related to the summer and autumn planting of strawberries on the lunar calendar are rather stretched. In any year, you can easily pick up a favorable day and land at the optimum time for the growing moon.
With the early planting of early ripening varieties, you can count on the harvest next spring. However, the normal harvest of berries, characteristic of the cultivated variety, will be removed only in the second year of cultivation.
How to plant strawberries in the autumn and summer correctly
Even before purchasing, you need to learn how to choose viable seedlings of the crop, correctly prepare the soil on the site, study the culture requirements, planting technology, in order to figure out how to plant strawberries in the fall.
By doing this preliminary work, you will greatly shorten the adaptation period for seedlings and ensure yourself the planned result.
The right choice of planting material
The proper formation of strawberry bushes mainly affects the selection of strong and viable seedlings.
For the landing, you can use this material:
- buy quality varietal material,
- apply for planting, personally grown bushes of whiskers.
In the fall, sellers offer a large selection of seedlings, and there is an opportunity to choose the best ones for the following indicators:
- root cervix should have a diameter of 6-7 mm
- seedling roots must be branched, have a fibrous shape and a length of 6 cm or more,
- Excellent strawberry seedlings should have from 3 to 5 healthy leaves and a growing point in the center of the bush.
Choosing a place
No less important factor when planting strawberries in the fall is the choice of location for the site. The crop and the size of the berries will depend on this in the future. The site should be well lit, located away from large trees.
The greatest yield of berries provide chernozem soil, sandy or loamy texture. On other soils, the yield and size of the fruit will be worse. And wetlands are generally not suitable for strawberry cultivation.
More information on how and when to transplant strawberries to a new place.
No less important for the future harvest of berries are crops that used to grow in a plot designated for strawberries. There are cultures that are recognized as good predecessors for strawberries. And there are those types of plants, after which it can not be planted.
Here is a list of crops that are recognized by strawberry as good predecessors:
And the predecessors that are inadmissible for strawberry include:
These crops are not suitable, because they have the same pests and diseases with strawberries, the larvae and spores of which are localized in the soil. Planting strawberries there, you will contribute to the development of disease and the spread of pests.
Every gardener who thinks about how to plant strawberries in the fall and summer should not be limited to digging the soil. The site, even for planting, should be fertilized with mineral fertilizer and organic matter when digging up the soil.
To ensure a decent harvest of berries, for each m 2 you need to make such fertilizers:
- 10 kg of humus,
- 20 g of potassium chloride,
- 50 g of double superphosphate.
Attention! When planting strawberries in the fall, the application of nitrogen fertilizers is not expected. They cause strong growth that does not allow the plant to properly prepare for winter.
Before fertilization, the soil is additionally loosened with a rake, to ensure oxygen access to the roots.
Depth of planting seedlings
After the soil has been prepared on the plot, it is necessary to proceed directly to the planting, armed with the knowledge of how to prepare the bed and planting holes for strawberries.
The depth of the holes should be such that the roots of the seedling are freely placed in them, without curling, at the same time.
Gardeners in practice mainly use 3 strawberry planting schemes in autumn and summer:
- Gnezdovaya. In the center of an imaginary design, one strawberry plant is planted and from it, at a distance of 30 cm, 6 more bushes are placed with an interval between them - 45 cm. Such a scheme is good if subsequent reproduction with whiskers is planned, since there is where to root them.
- Carpet. According to this scheme, the bushes are placed on the site in a continuous way at a distance of 25 cm from each other. This arrangement is great for small beds.
- Private. Strawberries are planted in rows at a distance of 50 cm from each other, and the spacing in the row between the bushes should be 25 cm. According to this scheme, strawberries are usually planted using covering material.
Important! When planting, choosing the distance between bushes, it is necessary to take into account varietal features. Powerful and spreading varieties will need more space, and compact - less.
Stages of planting strawberries in open ground
If you plan the procedure correctly, the work on planting strawberries will pass without problems and with high quality.
We offer you the steps of action during landing:
- The soil on the plot should be loosened and leveled. Mark the places where the rows and holes will be combined with the adopted scheme.
- Dig holes to a depth of 15 cm. Water them before planting.
- Make the soil mounds in the middle of the holes. Set the seedling on a hill above it and spread its roots along the slopes of the hill.
- Holding the bush with your left hand, with your right hand, cover the roots with soil, so that the root collar is flush with the ground.
- A little tamp and well moistened. Top soil zamulchirovat peat crumb or humus.
The main methods of breeding strawberries
For breeding strawberries are used in several ways:
- bush division (well suited for varieties that do not have a mustache),
- seeds (used for spring sowing),
- purchase ready seedlings.
Next we look at all of these methods in detail.
This method of obtaining material for planting is convenient and fairly common. To do this, use a mustache, formed during the current season. During the summer, gardeners grow strawberry bushes on a high agrotechnical background in order to get a mustache from them. Appeared young mustache also require increased attention.
To obtain this method of good seedlings in the fall, you need the first mustache, growing from the bush, during the summer prikopat for its subsequent rooting. And the remaining mustache, which will appear from the bush, must be torn off in order to redirect all the power to the formation of a new outlet from the left mustache. By the time of the autumn planting, good planting material is obtained from such whiskers.
Planting the division of the bush
When we need to propagate bezusye varieties of strawberries, or with a lack of young bushes, we resort to the division of uterine bush. For this pick up saplings at the age of 2-3 years.
When dividing the uterine bushes into 2 parts, it is necessary to separate both parts so that each has a well-formed growth point and several good roots. Planting strawberry bushes in the fall in the open ground should be conducted in cloudy weather or in the evening.
In order to avoid diseases and attacks of pests, seedlings with roots are immersed for 60 minutes in a solution consisting of the following components:
- water - 8 liters
- insecticide "Aktara" - 1.4 g,
- fungicide "Previkur" - 6 ml.
This event will protect strawberry bushes from pests and diseases in the year of planting.
Landing on agrofibre
Nowadays, a new method of planting strawberries on the agrofiber, which in another way is called spunbond, is gaining popularity. This material is an ecological fabric with sufficient moisture and air permeability.
By planting strawberry bushes under a black film, a significant reduction in labor and money spent on plant care activities, as well as an increase in berry yield, is achieved.
Planting strawberries on covering material has the following advantages:
- the soil is kept wet and loose;
- bushes are protected from frost, drought, rainfall and other negative natural phenomena,
- under the covering material do not grow weeds,
- материал не даёт укореняться лишним усам,
- защищает растение от вредных насекомых и загнивания,
- ягода будет всегда чистой.
Такой материал служит в течение 4 лет, то есть до пересадки клубники, что даёт дополнительные удобства.
Soil preparation, when planting on covering material, is not much different from the usual planting on a garden bed and occurs as described below.
- After performing all the preliminary work, the site is covered with covering material. Its edges should be fixed with iron brackets, boards or stones.
- When tightening the covering material, you need to strive to make it closer to the ground. Otherwise, all its advantages are smoothed over the traditional strawberry planting.
- After laying and securing the covering material, incisions are made with the knife above the landing holes.
- At the final stage, strawberry bushes are planted in the prepared cuts.
Below you can find useful videos about planting strawberries in the fall on covering material.
Departure after landing
Above, we looked at how to plant autumn strawberries. However, planted strawberry bushes for proper rooting and adaptation in the year of planting require appropriate care.
Before the onset of winter, the care of seedlings consists of activities that contribute to ensuring the conditions for strengthening young bushes and preparing them for winter.
To achieve these goals, a set of measures should be performed, including the following actions:
- Watering and loosening the soil. Immediately after planting and during the first 10 days, strawberries should be watered daily. Pour water should be a little, from the watering can, avoiding moisture on the leaves. Watering is carried out in the morning. After the rooting of bushes, the frequency of watering is reduced by half, but the waters in the wells are poured more.
- Removal of antennae and weeds. In the autumn there is still enough heat. Weed plants can grow on strawberry beds, and antennae appear from planted bushes. Both those, and others take away moisture and food, interfering with strengthening and adaptation to the landed material. Therefore, they should be removed.
- Protection against pests and diseases. To achieve these goals, spraying of leaves and soil is carried out with “Karbofos” and “Bordeaux liquid”.
- Additional mulching. For better overwintering, it is recommended to additionally mulch with straw, sawdust or peat. The thickness of the mulch is 5 cm or more.
It happens that even gardeners with experience make mistakes when planting strawberries in the fall in open ground. The price of these mistakes is very high, in the end it will result in the loss of part of the crop or the death of plants.
In order to avoid mistakes yourself, you need to get acquainted with the most common mistakes of gardeners, which are listed below.
- Deepening the root collar into the soil. If it is below ground level, the plant may stop growing or die.
- Roots too long. If the roots of the planting material are too long, they will become curved during planting and will not be able to adequately provide the plant with nutrition. Long roots should be shortened to 7 cm.
- Shredding berries and weak crop. This happens when strawberries are kept in one place for a long time. Every 4 years strawberries need to be transplanted to a new place.
- Lack of mulching. Soil not covered with mulch can overheat in summertime, which leads to an increased outflow of moisture from the root zone. As a result, the drying of the roots and plant diseases.
- Many leaves have seedlings. If the seedling has too many leaves, after planting the roots are depleted, which can lead to the death of strawberry bushes. The optimal seedling is the one that has 3 sheets.
Subject to all the rules and conditions for planting strawberries in the fall in open ground and under the agrofibre outlined in this article, it is possible to achieve good rooting of strawberry seedlings. Strong and viable bushes next year will thank you with a good harvest. When planting in autumn, the gardener has enough time to carry out all the necessary work.