Pigeons have long been an integral part of our gardens and parks. Beautiful, graceful with a variety of plumage, you can admire them endlessly. Like every bird, a pigeon needs a place where he can spend the night, lay eggs and hatch the nestlings - the nest, in one word. How to make a nest for a dove with your own hands, you will learn by reading this article.
We build nests for pigeons
The exact size of the nests for pigeons is difficult to name: it all depends on the breed, but there are still some average numbers. Here they are:
- box with sides 200-250 mm,
- height of the sides - no more than 80 mm.
The nest in the form of a wooden box is found most often. For example, in Baku our dovecote will live in Baku fighting pigeons, the optimal size of the nest for them:
- width - 250 mm,
- length - 300 mm,
- standard height - 80 mm,
- nests are not placed closely. The free space between them is about 200 millimeters.
- make markup
- sawing the board into blanks of the right size
- we bring down the box
- we attach the bottom of the lattice,
- carefully putty, insulate.
Nests are placed on the shelves. If you have breeding pigeons, then a separate place should be made for them. Nests for them make a bit larger than normal. Above and the size of the boards.
We considered the option of a nest where pigeons lay their eggs, but they also need a place where they will just sit. This is most likely not a nest at all, but a roost. So, we make this element. Would need:
- board of 20 mm. Width 150 mm
- cut blanks. The length of the 1st 200 mm, and the second 180 mm, connect them so that an angle of 90 degrees,
- from a piece of plywood we cut out a detail of a triangular shape,
- we drill a hole in the details for fastening the nest-perch on the wall,
- fasten the triangle, as shown in the photo.
To make such products you need as many pigeons as you: for each his own. Place one above the other, retreating from the ceiling about 0.5 m.
Some lovers use round nests for pigeons photos, see below:
This design is made of wood and plaster. The bottom of this nest is flat outside and concave inside. Gypsum nest has no gaps, and the material itself is very warm. Pigeons in them comfortable. For the manufacture of gypsum nests use this form.
If it is difficult for you to make a gypsum product for you, then you can carve a nest of exactly the same shape out of wood, and then repair the cracks with a putty and paint it. But there is another interesting solution.
The nest of this material is very warm, and make it so:
- from a sheet of foam, rather thick, cut blanks in the form of rectangles,
- heat a deep pan, the bottom of which has a sloping shape and corresponds to the size of the nest,
- parchment is put on the sheet and the pan is well pressed into the foam. It begins to melt and a depression is formed,
- the workpiece is smeared with white glue and glued with a building bandage, otherwise the birds will easily pick their nest.
Racks in dovecote
In the arsenal of some pigeon breeders who breed breeding pigeons, there is such mobile equipment as racks, including nesting compartments and limiters on tap-holes.
They are brought into the room when the birds lay their eggs and hatch chicks. The equipment of racks carries out functions:
- mating box
- where the nest is set, the eggs hatch,
If you have small and medium-sized pigeons, the shelf sizes are as follows:
- width - 300 mm,
- length - 300 mm,
- height - 300 mm.
And when setting up a place for large pigeons, they adhere to the following parameters:
- shelf length - from 700 to 800 mm,
- width - 400 mm, height - 400 mm.
For Kosmachy pigeons, purely tin, Altai shalev, Rostov white-breasted, i.e. rocks, with strongly feathered legs, to the planks delimiting the plots, fasten the slats with dimensions:
- width - 340 mm
- thickness - 25 cm.
Birds use this item as a roost. Here you can not make a capital nest, but use boxes from under imported vegetables that have dimensions of 300x400 mm, with:
- A hole is cut in the center of the box to prevent the eggs from rolling. Underlay paper
- on the one hand the high side is cut off
- the box is installed on the rack in the socket compartment. Ventilation holes are already there,
- after the pigeons get stronger and leave the nest, it is simply thrown away.
And so the pigeon life looks from the inside. Nests are visible here, and one pair already carries feathers there, apparently chicks will be hatched:
A small nuance: if you install the nests on the rack, then each top should hang over the bottom by 50 millimeters so that the pigeons sitting above do not smear droppings of those that sit below. The same rule applies to the roost.
Dove decided to settle on the balcony
Many are afraid of such a prospect. But they say that the pigeon's nest on the balcony is a good sign: the atmosphere in your house is pleasant, the energy is positive. It is so, but pigeons are not the most accurate bird, so if they have already built a nest, you will have to wait until the chick hatch and they fly away, but then take precautions so that they no longer want to settle on your balcony:
- The most reliable way - glazing,
- if you make the balcony closed is not in your plans, then try to have a cat on it often, and go out there yourself more often,
- remove from the balcony everything that reminds pigeons to roost or from where you can make a nest,
- make sure that there are no leftover food, water,
- if the birds, no matter what, persistently visit your balcony, hang foil strips on its perimeter. Their rustling will scare the pigeons,
- You can also grease the railing, which birds like to sit on, with sunflower oil or use special protivoprisadnymi thorns from birds.
Just look: the pigeons made a nest on the balcony, the video indicates that the owners seemed to have purposely created conditions for this: they put a convenient container.
How and where to find a place for an ever-growing army of toys in the children's room, and especially in the common room, is another headache for parents. Yes and.Wall decoration - one of the most important stages of the repair of an apartment or house. The choice of material, texture, colors - from the correctness of the data.
Each owner of the dacha will say that a hand drill for excavation is a necessary tool in the household. Development and arrangement of any land.
In order for the pigeons and their chicks to feel as comfortable as possible, the poultry farmer must adhere to several simple and at the same time important rules. Consideration of the latter is desirable, since the convenience of living birds is a key condition in their proper breeding. This means that the dovecote alone will not be enough to solve this problem, because such a structure, being empty, is unlikely to please its inhabitants. Of course, a pigeon cannot be called an overly demanding bird, but it is important to bear in mind that its proper maintenance should include the following:
- Each individual needs to equip a separate nest, for example, from a tree, polyfoam or plaster. Only perches here are indispensable, since pigeons need not only places for regular sitting, but also separate “flats” for the period of breeding chicks.
- Determining the optimal size and shape of pigeon nests, one should take into account the peculiarities of the breed of birds for which they are intended.
- Provided that the dovecote has small dimensions, it is more rational to divide it into two zones. In the first, it is reasonable to make roosts, and in the second - breeding “houses”, where both adult birds and their chicks will spend time.
- All dovish “flats” should be well ventilated and positioned so that a person can easily clean them.
- Given the fact that in the wild, the birds in question make their own nests, it is advisable to provide them with such an opportunity in the conditions of the pigeon house. This means that their owner only needs to place only the base of the nest, putting next to him all the necessary "finishing materials": hay, straw and small twigs.
As for the average size of shelves for self-made "houses", it is 80 x 40 x 30 cm, respectively, in length, width and height. In addition, in many cases it makes sense to make separate boxes, placing them wall in the pigeon room. It is also noteworthy that many poultry farmers prefer to use removable structures used in the mating season, both for breeding chicks and after harvesting until the next season. It should be noted that such a step allows to significantly expand the free space of the pigeon house, and therefore it is fully justified.
Arrangement of round nests
Practice shows that many poultry farmers do not consider a rectangular pigeon's nest as the best solution for their pets. The best option they consider round nests, which, by the way, can also be made by hand. To accomplish this task, foam is most often used - a material that equally combines such advantages as:
- minimum thermal conductivity
To make such a nest at home, you will need a fairly modest set of necessary materials and equipment, namely:
- foam sheet, the dimensions of which are enough for the manufacture of pigeon "kvartirok",
- well-sharpened office knife,
- deep pan with a sloping bottom of the same diameter as the nest being created,
- construction bandage,
- adhesive with zero toxicity (one of the best solutions in such situations is considered to be PVA),
As for the process of creating such nests, it involves the following actions:
- Cutting from the foam sheet the blanks to be used in the future nest (their shape should be rectangular).
- Heating the pan and pressing it into the workpiece, on which you must first put the parchment.
- Melting foam designed for use in the nest. The logical result of this action will be the emergence of the necessary deepening.
- Bonding construction bandage to the surface of the workpiece. It is advisable to do this to provide additional strength so that the birds living in the nest do not peck at it.
Many golubevody, primarily living in the city, build homes for their pets with the use of other materials: gypsum, alabaster, etc. Photos and videos of such products abound, the main thing is that in such a nest it is comfortable and safe not only for adult pigeons, but also for each of their chicks.
The real lover of pigeons is the first thing to take care of creating appropriate conditions for their living and breeding. An empty room will not satisfy all needs. It is important with your own hands to properly organize a place where each bird will be able to rest, and to equip the department, where couples will be able to calmly and comfortably bring chicks:
- The room where the pigeons are kept should be spacious and warm. Naturally, there is no need to tamper with heat insulating materials, but it is necessary to fill the gaps so that the wind doesn’t walk around the pigeon house.
- However, ventilation is required, the bird needs fresh air, especially when it is hot outside.
- The sun rays should penetrate into the dovecote without hindrance, therefore a large window is necessary, preferably from the east or south, because the pigeons wake up with the first rays of the sun.
Dovecote should be lit by direct sunlight.
For small-sized pigeon houses, the room is divided into 2 zones. One half is intended for roosting; there the bird is resting. Usually, these are horizontal bars, 50 cm from the ceiling. Their thickness is about 2 cm, 4 cm is allowed. Then the breeds with furry legs, or lowered wings, will not damage the plumage and preserve the beauty of an unusual appearance. The other part is allocated under the nest, where the couple breeds and feeds offspring during the breeding season.
- Choosing the shape and size of nesting, it is necessary to take into account the breed and the size of the pigeon, too close - a threat to the chicks. Adult birds due to lack of space can simply crush them.
- Nests can be arranged by placing them in the form of shelves near the wall, and divided by partitions. Standard compartment sizes: height and width 25 cm.
- To prevent bedding from spilling out, and the chicks do not fall out, it is recommended to provide in the front part small sides 8 cm high.
- The availability of nesting sites for disinfection and cleaning is one of the main conditions of arrangement.
- Those who are engaged in pigeons for a long time and have accumulated a certain experience prefer to make removable nests with their own hands. Their design resembles ordinary drawers placed on shelves or attached to a wall. At the end of the season, they are easily removed and removed until next spring. This will give you the opportunity to expand the space and allow the bird to move more.
- All gaps in the nest-boxes are eliminated to avoid drafts.
Many recommend laying the litter immediately directly into the dwelling, but to strengthen the breeding instinct, it is better to allow the pigeons to build their nest themselves. To do this, the building material should be laid out on the floor: thin twigs, dry grass or straw, and conifer needles can be planted. The bird itself will choose what she likes more.
The pigeon will select the necessary materials for the nest arrangement.
Types of nests
To date, there are several options for nests for pigeons:
- ordinary rectangular wooden structures
- plastic, plaster or ceramic, these are mostly round.
The choice of material for the construction of the nest remains for the pigeon breeder, it is necessary to proceed from the acceptability of its sanitary and environmental parameters.
Nest made of wood
A common material for nests is wood, as it is the most affordable, eco-friendly, and making it your own hands is very simple.
Before you start, you need to prepare:
- tape measure or ruler
- wooden bars or board 2 cm thick
- fine metal mesh.
Simple wooden nest for pigeon
- when the board is poorly oiled, with burrs and roughness, it must be further treated with emery cloth to make it smooth,
- further, the markup is made taking into account the size,
- cutting boards is made, taking into account three sides, the bottom is not yet necessary,
- the design is going,
- Attached to the bottom of the metal mesh.
If the nest is simply placed on the shelf, the bottom can be made of wood.
Some pigeon breeders believe that round nests for birds are the most convenient. Now the store has a wide selection, so it’s enough just to buy plastic forms, place nests in the compartment and wait for replenishment in the bird family. But if you do not want to spend money or have a desire to make them with your own hands, then they are easy to make from foam plastic. It does not affect the temperature drops, will last more than one year, and the nest will turn out warm and comfortable.
The appearance and size of the round dove pigeons
This will require:
- foam sheet, only preferable to take a higher density, it is much stronger,
- metal pan, with a diameter of the circle equal to the size of the nest,
- polyfoam cutting knife,
- PVA glue,
- construction bandage,
How to do? For this you need:
- on a large sheet of foam measure the dimensions of the future nests,
- then, blanks in the form of rectangles are cut out with a knife:
- the surface of the foam is covered with parchment,
- the pan is heated and put on parchment, pressing down hard, under the paper, the foam will melt from the pressure of the hot metal, and the necessary notch is formed,
- To prevent the destruction of the material, each blank must be carefully smeared with glue and glued with a construction bandage.
Get a great and comfortable haven for the pigeon family.
In principle, it does not matter which nests are put in the dovecote, plastic shop or made by hand.
The main thing is that the bird in them felt organic, could perform the functions given to it by nature. Then she will be able to please with her grace and beauty of the owner, will give him real joy and pleasure.