The causes of turkey poults include:
- Diarrhea can occur due to the ingestion of poultry by harmful agents: viruses, intracellular parasites, bacteria or intestinal cavities.
- With improper feeding of young livestock in turkey poults occurs fodder stress, which also leads to diarrhea. Stress arises due to dietary problems, food damaged or poorly digestible foods. Often it occurs due to a change in diet.
- Under inadequate housing conditions, high or low temperature or humidity, dirty rooms and untimely change of bedding, or with too small aviary for poultry, young fish also often begin to vilify.
- Poults can be carried due to excessive use of antibacterial drugs. Antibiotics are characterized by a killing effect not only on pathological microorganisms, but also on the beneficial microflora of the gastrointestinal tract of an animal, which leads to dysbiosis, one of the symptoms of which is diarrhea. If you try to cure this disease with antibiotics, poults may die.
Characteristic external signs of health problems in young birds are lethargy, inactivity, ruffled and dull feather cover, refusal to eat. It is worth more detail to examine the products of the act of defecation in poults and, if possible, call a veterinary specialist.
Diarrhea in poults
Types of diarrhea
In the normal state of the body, the litter in healthy young animals differs in brown or greenish color and has a granular form. When you try to clean them from the floor, they are easily separated without deformation and strong smell. If young litter is liquid, has a fetid odor, includes blood or feed particles, you should start to panic.
The stool may vary significantly in color, based on which it is possible to diagnose the cause of diarrhea. Color diarrhea in poults:
- In turkey poults, brown diarrhea is indicative of nutritional problems. Practically not fatal, but significantly weakens the immune system, which can lead to many other diseases. The color of feces can be from light to dark brown. It occurs most often due to the use of boiled eggs. When reducing their number in the diet or the transition to a balanced feed usually passes itself. For treatment, turkeys can also be added to the chopped nettle or wormwood feed.
- Mustard shade most often indicates the presence of histomoniasis or Newcastle disease. The green color of the fecal masses gives the putrefactive microflora of the gastrointestinal tract. The histomonads that cause this disease are intracellular parasites that live in the intestines and liver. The bird will refuse to feed and fluids, lose weight, the plumage will become dull, disheveled. Treatment is carried out with antibiotics designed to destroy such parasites, for example, metronidazole. In the case of a long course among turkeys, high mortality is possible. The histomoniasis quickly spreads throughout the house, therefore, when such a pathology is found in healthy birds, it is better to separate them from patients in another aviary. If the cause of the mustard stool is Newcastle disease, you should immediately contact a veterinarian. This is a very dangerous disease that can lead to the death of the entire population, so it will be necessary to vaccinate the birds.
- With white diarrhea with a large number of blisters in turkeys less than 20 days old, it means salmonellosis, or pullorosis. This is an infectious disease that occurs in young stock in an acute form, and in adults in a chronic form. It is characterized by high mortality and rate of spread throughout the herd. With frothy diarrhea, the young will constantly squeak, they will have difficulty breathing and will clump up and cuddle. With just white liquid diarrhea, avitaminosis of birds is most often the cause, and with fecal mass similar to chalk, having a monotonous texture, this can be the result of many viral or bacterial diseases. You can try to feed the chicks with a weak solution of potassium permanganate or a decoction of chamomile. If this does not help, you should seek specialized help.
- To a yellow shade of diarrhea leads the change of feed additives. If the poultry farmer has noticed yellow diarrhea in turkeys, he does not know what to treat, you should not despair. You can feed the young population of birds with a solution of potassium permanganate and return to the old diet, or try to replace nutritional supplements with some other. Another cause of yellowish diarrhea is Newcastle disease, described above. It affects the nervous system, lungs and respiratory tracts and many other internal organs. The poults for Newcastle disease and yellow feces most often take away the limbs, and the bird remains stationary. Prescribing how to treat yellow diarrhea in turkey poults in this case can only be a veterinary specialist after conducting additional diagnostics of the virus that led to such symptoms.
- Why do turkeys have black liquid feces? It arises due to difficulties in the work of the gastrointestinal tract. Due to inflammations, the intestinal mucosa is damaged and a small amount of blood enters the litter, which gives the feces a black color. It can also occur due to pathological microorganisms that have settled in the intestines of birds, most often coccidia. Patients should be separated from the breeding herd and fed with potassium permanganate.
Diagnosis of diarrhea in turkeys
Yellow diarrhea in turkey poults
The color of fecal masses in a sick bird can give a veterinarian a sufficient amount of information to establish a preliminary diagnosis. To determine the health status of the bird, the doctor may examine its feather cover and behavior. If protozoa is suspected, additional studies or the opening of the carcass of a dead bird from diarrhea will be required. Upon detection of breakdowns in the gastrointestinal mucosa, the diagnosis is most often made on the spot. If necessary, a specialist will examine the internal organs, especially the liver, stomach and lungs, based on the condition of which they will make the final diagnosis and prescribe treatment.
Diarrhea in poults: how to treat at home
In order to cure turkeys from the disease, you can try to use folk remedies. They are used with an eye on the duration and severity of the disorder of the gastrointestinal tract. In the early stages of inflammation, it is quite possible to treat some types of diarrhea on your own, without the help of a specialist. However, this applies only to diseases caused by improper feeding or maintenance conditions. If the problem is caused by the spread of infectious diseases caused by viruses or bacteria, or excessive activity of the intestinal cavity in the body of the bird, you should contact your veterinarian. Since it is possible to get rid of these parasites in the body of a bird, only using specialized means, with a dosage of which a layman can have problems. In addition, excessive use of antibiotics most often leads to a weakening of the bird, a decrease in its productivity and a decrease in the quality of meat.
If you still decide to carry out the treatment yourself, you should take the following measures:
- in case of a single or insignificant spread of infection among the population, select and send sick birds to quarantine,
- clean the area for keeping birds, replace litter, disinfect the room,
- change feed in livestock,
- isolated chicks, to cure diarrhea, prescribe a course of sorbents - activated carbon or its analogues,
- turkey poults can be drunk with chamomile or nettle solutions and start feeding with an increase in the amount of liquid,
- lock a flock of birds in quarantine for up to 1 month.
Before starting treatment, poults should be kept without food for a day, while providing plenty of liquid. As a drink, it is worth pouring something that has an anti-inflammatory effect, for example, a decoction of nettle or chamomile or a solution of potassium permanganate. If it is not available, you can use furatsilinom. Antibiotics should be used only with white or mustard diarrhea.
Note! In the treatment of feed, it is worth removing the additives, poor-quality grain, eggs and, if it helps, in the future to switch to specialized feed for birds of this age.
With a significant defeat of birds with diarrhea, it will be necessary to get rid of the root cause of the disease, since diarrhea is only a symptom of a disease that causes diarrhea.
Getting rid of the disease will require an accurate diagnosis, for which it is necessary to contact a veterinarian and conduct drug treatment, which should be prescribed by a specialist. Medicines against bacteria and viruses for treatment are mixed with food or dissolved in water. The list of drugs for diarrhea include:
- Fluoroquinol antibiotics (ofloxacin, ciprofloxacin). The volume of the drug is calculated from the proportion of 1 ml of solution per 1 liter of pure water. With the tablet form of the drug, 10 mg of the drug is consumed per 1 kg of bird weight.
- Antibiotics of the tetracycline group (tetracycline, biomitsin) give young animals 5-10 mg each, adult turkeys twice as much.
- Antibacterial agents (levometsitin, floron) are added to the water in a ratio of 3-4 ml of agent per liter of water.
- Furazodolin is given to young animals of 10 mg, breeding stock - 15-20 mg.
Important! To cure a bird from the disease, it is possible to use complex drugs: avidox, quinocolle, trisulfone.
Probiotics, for example, monosporin, acylact, lactobacterin, are given to restore the damaged microflora to chicks during the course of treatment. In order not to spend money on pharmacological agents, fermented milk products can be added to birds during the course of treatment.
At the final stages of treatment, turkey poults will be required with vitamin and mineral complexes mixed with food or water. Vitamin therapy is terminated after the complete recovery of the sick bird. For these purposes, suitable aminovital, vitamin, chiktonik. It should not give the chicks sugar-containing solutions, to prevent an increase in the number of pathogenic organisms in the intestine.
Why does diarrhea occur in turkeys
Digestive upset can occur in poultry not only because of poor-quality food or the consumption of dangerous food, therefore, this problem should be approached comprehensively, considering all possible causes.
Viral diseases.Viruses often cause diarrhea, as in the process of life they emit toxic substances that poison the body of young. The more viral bodies, the brighter the symptoms of intoxication.
Sharp feed change.The digestive tract of turkey poults reacts extremely negatively to the change of the menu, therefore, experienced owners recommend gradually transferring the young to new feeds. Similarly, the human body, especially children, reacts to new foods. Wrong diet. The reason can be both overfeeding of a bird, and feeding of products before going to bed. In the first case, an overload of the gastrointestinal tract occurs, which is why food cannot digest properly. In the second case, the food is not digested due to the fact that the poults fall asleep, which means that the digestive organs cannot perform their function in a comprehensive manner.
Parasites. If the young catches the worms, then there is a dysfunction of the organ within which they parasitize. Most often this occurs in the intestines. The integrity of the tissues is disturbed and the production of substances necessary for the digestion of food, small ulcers appear. As a result, the feed is not digested, and the bird loses mass.
Inadequate conditions of detention Hypothermia, increased humidity, increased concentration of hazardous substances in the air can also cause diarrhea. The disorder can occur as a result of a negative impact on the digestive tract, and because of emotional discomfort.
Consider the types of diarrhea, based on which you can determine the cause of the disease.
White diarrhea occurs in a bird infected with pullorosis (bird fever). Pullorosis is an infectious disease, the causative agent of which is the salmonella group. The disease affects all types of poultry from the order of chickens, but it is most common in chickens and turkeys.
A sick individual has a serious bowel dysfunction. The wand also enters the liver, kidneys, spleen and ovaries, causing an inflammatory process. If the pathogen enters the respiratory tract, then symptoms of a cold or flu appear. The main symptoms.
- Excretion of mucous stool that clogs the cloaca.
- Violation of coordination of movements.
- Delayed development.
Note that there are three forms of the disease: acute, subacute and chronic. In the chronic form, the symptoms may be mildly noticeable, however, such a course of the disease causes necrosis of important organs (hearts, liver, muscles), which results in the death of the bird.
Mustard-colored diarrhea occurs in histopathomy. Gastomonosis is a parasitic infectious disease, the causative agent of which is the simplest microorganisms. The disease affects not only domestic but also wild birds, so the latter can be carriers of infection. Initially, unicellular enter the stomach, and then penetrates the intestine and liver. It is in these organs that it begins to multiply rapidly, causing serious problems with digestion.
Foci of inflammation appear, after which the destruction of tissues begins. In the process of vital activity, microorganisms secrete a large amount of toxic substances that poison the body.
- The feces have a mustard-greenish or mustard-brown color, as well as a sharp unpleasant odor.
- Body temperature decreases by 1-2 °.
- The skin on the head becomes dark gray or black.
Yellow-colored diarrhea can occur with abrupt feed changes. However, if at the same time the poults become lethargic, and paralysis of the extremities is observed, this may indicate Newcastle disease (the Asian plague of birds).
Newcastle disease is a viral disease that is caused by the RNA virus. It affects the internal organs, causing bleeding, swelling, and tissue death.
This disease is extremely dangerous, as it leads to the destruction of the entire livestock, after which from 60% to 90% of the birds die. Death occurs due to simultaneous damage to the respiratory system, central nervous system and gastrointestinal tract. Carriers are both domestic and wild birds. Maximum mortality is observed in young animals.
- Temperature increase up to 44 ° С.
- The cornea of the eye becomes dull and conjunctivitis appears.
- Poults refuse to feed.
- Liquid feces are yellow with small blood clots.
- Cold symptoms appear.
With the fulminant course of the disease, death occurs suddenly, and no symptoms precede it. The bird simply dies a few hours after infection.
Brown diarrhea can occur due to the addition of boiled chicken eggs or foods that should not be given to poults. If no other symptoms are observed in the young, then it is enough to change the day menu.
However, if the feces are frothy and have a sharp unpleasant odor, then it is worth remembering about the aforementioned illness of histomoniasis. In case of usual diarrhea due to improper selection of products, poults are treated by adding nettle or wormwood to the feed. This is enough to normalize the digestive tract.
Black diarrhea occurs in birds with poisoning. The stomach or intestines become inflamed, and the integrity of the tissues is disturbed, causing blood clots to enter the feces. It is they who paint the stool black. First of all, it is necessary to find out the cause of the occurrence of poisoning, after which the diseased individuals are deposited. Further treatment is carried out with the use of various drugs or folk remedies. Also, sick turkeys provide quality food that does not overload the digestive tract.
General treatment rules
- All diseased individuals must be transplanted from healthy ones in order to rule out an epidemic.
- The room in which there were sick turkey poults, you need to disinfect, after removing all the birds. It is necessary to use chemistry, and not any infusions or decoctions.
- The diet of sick birds should be saturated with vitamins and minerals. If the cause of the disease is poor-quality food, then it must be replaced.
- Give turkey poults only the medications prescribed by the vet. Do not self-medicate.
- Ежедневно дезинфицировать поилки и кормушки, чтобы исключить повторное заражение.
- Карантин должен длиться не менее месяца.
- Вся погибшая птица должна утилизироваться за пределами фермы/хозяйства. Если заболевание инфекционного характера, тогда тушки лучше сжигать.
Consider the main drugs for the treatment of turkey poults, as well as talk about the dosages and methods of use.
"Baytril" - an antibacterial drug that inhibits the growth and development of gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms.
- Necrotic enetrit.
For the treatment of turkeys use 10% solution for oral administration. 50 ml of the drug are diluted with 100 liters of water, followed by sealing. For salmonellosis or diseases in the chronic form, use an increased dose (100 ml per 100 liters of water).
In order for the preparation to have a negative effect on the causative agent of the disease, each sick individual must receive 10 mg of active ingredient per 1 kg of body weight (1 ml of solution contains 100 mg of active ingredient).
The treatment is carried out until the symptoms of a specific disease disappear. If the disease progresses, then you need to see a specialist.
After the end of the drug intake, the bird should not be slaughtered for the next 11 days. If slaughter is done earlier, then meat should be disposed of or fed to animals that will not go to slaughter in the future.
Antiseptic broad-spectrum drug based on molecular iodine. It is used for treating people, poultry and other animals.
- Wound infection
- Diseases of the digestive tract.
When treating diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, 1-1.5 ml of the substance is injected per patient for each kilogram of body weight with a syringe. Note that the dosage indicated is a pure substance, but when administered it must be diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 2. For small turkey poults, you can use a different dosage: 0.2-0.3 ml of the drug, diluted in water per individual.
The course of treatment is 1.5 weeks. A veterinarian can regulate the period of treatment depending on the specific disease and the age of the young.
Cautions The drug does not accumulate in organs or tissues, so the bird can be killed and eaten immediately after the end of treatment. "Iodinol" does not conflict with other drugs.
Video: the use of the drug "Iodinol" for birds
Anthelmintic agent that is used both for the treatment of humans and pets.
The drug causes paralysis in worms, after which they are separated from the intestinal walls and excreted during defecation. This avoids severe intoxication. The preparation is fed to the poults along with the feed, so the medicine must be in powder form.
In some cases, you can take the liquid option, but it is worth remembering that 1 g is not equal to 1 ml of the substance. The liquid is diluted in a large amount of water, and clean water is temporarily removed. The treatment is carried out for two days. On 1 kg of live weight give 0.5 g of piperazine sulfate. You can use the scheme "day after day" to reduce the load on the liver. Cautions
In case of overdose, the drug can cause paralysis, which will lead to death. The slaughter of birds is allowed only two days after the end of the course of treatment.
A broad-spectrum antibiotic drug that has low toxicity. It is used to treat any poultry.
- Respiratory infections.
- Runny nose
The drug can be administered orally or under the skin. In the first case, the dose is calculated by a veterinarian, in the second case, you can use the instruction. Each individual per day should be given 2-3 g of the drug, diluted in water. To the antibiotic has not lost its properties, it is pre-diluted in 200-300 ml of water, and then metered.
Next, an aqueous solution of the drug is poured into drinking water. Add "Tylosin" in feed can not be. The course of treatment should last no more than 1 week, after which recovery occurs, or the drug is replaced by another drug.
It is possible to carry out slaughter of a bird only 8 days after the end of the course The drug should not be given together with other bactericidal agents.
Antihelminthic agent of a broad spectrum.
- Cooperative disease
It is used for single or group treatment. Per 1 kg of weight give 0.3-1 g of the drug (for young animals it is better to choose a lower dosage). The drug is mixed with food in a ratio of 1: 100, then fed for one day. The course of treatment is 2 days.
Do not use in infectious diseases. Allowed to carry out the slaughter of birds not earlier than a week after the end of the course.
Complex antibacterial drug of a wide spectrum of action. Based on the antibiotic Tilozin.
- Diseases of the excretory system.
The course of treatment is 3-5 days. You can mix the drug with water or feed. In the first case, 100 g is diluted in 100 liters of water, in the second case - 150 g per 100 kg of feed. Note that the drug in a mixture with food retains its activity for 8 weeks, and diluted in water for two days.
"Eriprim" is an antibiotic, so the slaughter of birds can be carried out only 8 days after the end of the course. It should not be given together with drugs that contain sulfur or para-aminobenzoic acid.
- Sow young birds from adult birds as early as possible.
- Regularly disinfect the room, drinkers and feeders. To clean the room, which contains turkey poults.
- Feed should not lie for hours in the trough. Residues should be disposed of immediately after feeding.
- In the cold season, the feed must be saturated with vitamins and minerals. Food should be warm.
- In the event of the appearance of symptoms in at least one individual, the entire population must receive a medicine in order to rule out an epidemic.
- Vaccination against the most common diseases.
Video: disease prevention in turkey poults
Symptoms of diarrhea
Pay attention to the behavior of turkeys. Sick individuals move a little and try to hide in the far corner of the cage. They begin to stagger when walking, because birds lose their strength due to diarrhea. Wings of sick turkeys are constantly omitted. In the future, the state of turkeys deteriorates, the birds can not stand up.
Digestive disorders can begin due to nutritional errors. The digestive system of turkey poults is especially sensitive to new components. Pay attention to the quality of the feed. The reason for the spread of infection are trough. Infected food enters the intestines of healthy birds and causes diarrhea.
A white shade is formed after Salmonella infection. Turkeys begin pullorosis. Poults under the age of 20 days are virtually defenseless against the causative agent of the disease.
Pollurose spreads quite rapidly among livestock and leads to the death of the bird. Adult Salmonella are in the ovary. This aggravates the situation, since the pathogen infects the offspring already at the stage of laying eggs.
Yellow diarrhea indicates that the farmer abruptly led the new feed. The digestive system of the bird does not have time to adapt to the change in diet. The change of food leads to the development of diarrhea not only in poults, but also in adult birds.
Drug therapy depends on the nature of the disease. First of all, the poultry breeder needs to think about their drinking regime. A bird suffering from diarrhea loses a lot of fluids. A sick turkey should not be out of moisture. Clean water should be constantly added to the drinker.
In the enclosures it is necessary to carry out general cleaning. Parasites can spread to all livestock. The owner of the farm must disinfect the premises where the bird lives.
Diarrhea in turkeys may occur when switching to a new feed. It is necessary to remove all the additives that were introduced immediately before the indigestion. Be sure to take measures for complete isolation of diseased individuals.
If indigestion occurs due to nutritional errors, then wormwood or nettle can be added to sick bird food. The leaves of these plants contain substances with antimicrobial action.
They help to cope with the manifestations of diarrhea. With regular use of medicinal plants, the digestive system normalizes. In the course of treatment, it may be necessary to diagnose a sick bird.
The cause of the disease are often dangerous pathogens. In any case, with diarrhea, you need to provide abundant drinking regime. This will ease the state of turkeys. Sick birds need to be sealed with chamomile extract or a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
Treatment of diarrhea in poults suffering from histomoniasis
Digestive upset occurs in birds infected with histomoniasis pathogens. In such cases, the veterinarian prescribes Furazolidone, which can be given even to poults. However, doctors severely limit the duration of antibiotic therapy. Treatment with Furazolidone cannot last more than 10 days.
You can get rid of unpleasant symptoms if you use Uracil. This antibiotic will help to cope with histomoniasis and restore the functioning of the digestive organs. Uracil should not be taken for more than 7 days.
When identifying parasites in the feces of birds, it is necessary to de-worming. To this end, the vet recommends giving Fenothiazine to turkeys for 3 days.
What is dangerous coccidosis?
Adult coccidosis can occur with almost no symptoms. Their body can fight parasites. For young poults, the disease poses a threat to life.
Infection of chicks in most cases occurs in the summer. The source of infection can be warm water that the chicks drink from the same drinker. Coccidosis pathogens can get into the feed.
Coccidia are the simplest microorganisms that cause damage to the digestive system of poults. A sick bird loses its appetite, becomes sedentary, their appearance changes.
The plumage of patients with coccidosis turkeys becomes untidy. Recognize the disease can be a strong thirst experienced by sick chicks. In the feces of turkey poults you can see traces of blood.
Features of diarrhea with enteritis
The disease is accompanied by an inflammatory process that affects the intestinal mucosa. Enteritis occurs due to the use of poor-quality feed. The cause of the disease can be dirty water. Not fully digested food enters the turkey intestine. Sick individuals lose their appetite, they have fluff in the area of the cloaca. A breeder needs to transplant a sick bird into a separate room. Monitor the condition of water and feed. In order for turkeys not to suffer from enteritis, vaccination is necessary.
Mortality from paratyphoid in young animals reaches 80%. In the absence of timely treatment, the farmer risks losing almost all herds. The disease is detected in poults between 3 and 30 days of age. The main signs of the disease include diarrhea, loss of appetite and lacrimation. Sick individuals move little, they constantly want to drink.
A veterinarian prescribes antibacterial poults for turkeys (Lautecin, Trimerazine). On day 10, furazolidone or biomitsin is used to prevent paratyphoid fever. To reduce the risk of disease, you need to monitor the cleanliness in the room where turkey poults live.
Causes of diarrhea in adults
Turkeys diarrhea is a wake-up call, because it can speak of serious viral or infectious pathologies. These diseases spread very quickly and can lead to mass death of livestock. The normal reaction of the body is considered to be diarrhea in turkeys after taking drugs or vaccination. In all other situations, diarrhea requires immediate treatment. It is possible to determine what exactly caused the pathological condition of the bird by the color of the feces.
Yellow diarrhea in turkeys
If a turkey has a yellow color of feces, it is very important to pay attention to the associated symptoms. If not, then intestinal dysfunction could trigger stress or feed changes. A farmer must remember what exactly he gave in food and continue to exclude this feed from the diet. To treat diarrhea in turkeys, caused by stress or improperly chosen food - is not required. It is enough to give the sick individual a light solution of potassium permanganate for three days.
In turkeys, yellow diarrhea can cause Newcastle disease. This is the most serious disease of birds, it is also called psevdokumy. It is characterized by lesions of the respiratory and nervous system. The pseudochuma is very contagious, it is rapidly moving from a sick individual to a healthy one, one infected one can infect a hundred healthy ones.
It will be interesting to know that the carrier of pseudo-pills can be rats and even the man himself. The virus that causes yellow diarrhea in turkeys, spreads through the air. If you do not provide assistance during the first day, the turkey will die within 3 days. You can learn Newcastle disease by impaired coordination, hoarseness when breathing, refusal of food and mucus from the beak.
If the turkeys have yellow diarrhea caused by Newcastle disease, nothing good can be expected, as there is no cure for pseudochima for today. The disease can be prevented by timely vaccination of birds.
Diarrhea in black turkeys indicates a serious damage to the internal organs. Black feces are a sign of internal bleeding or rupture of one of the organs. Due to the strong inflammatory processes in the intestine and stomach, the mucous membrane of the organs can not withstand and burst, staining the feces in black. It’s impossible to save a bird at home if it has internal bleeding. Surgical intervention is necessary, although modern farmers are unlikely to send a turkey operation to the operation, it is much easier and more economical to put it in broth.
In the case of infectious and inflammatory diseases, diarrhea can be cured with tetracycline (25 mg. Per 1 kg of body weight once a day). It is important to note that inflammation in the intestines can provoke foul food that irritates the walls of the organ, as well as poisonous cereals, which could have been mistakenly eaten by a turkey. That is why, in combination with an antibiotic, activated charcoal must be given to remove toxins from the body.
In most cases, green diarrhea in turkeys cause fermentation processes in the body. They can occur on the background of overeating, poisoning or infection with parasites. In the first two cases, the stomach can not normally digest food masses and, stagnant, begin to emit poisons. These poisons enter the intestines with blood and irritate its walls, increase peristalsis. Outwardly, this is manifested by a liquid, watery stool. Normalize the health of a turkey can be, giving him ash or activated charcoal. Let the bird drink a lot, also dilute the bag of Smecta in 50 g of water and add to the drinker.
If diarrhea in turkey poults is caused by parasites, the situation is different. The products of parasites are toxic, and if they live in the body of a turkey for a long time, it develops weakness, apathy, fever, vomiting and diarrhea. Eliminate this clinical picture can only be a doctor, choosing antiparasitic medication. It is important to disinfect the turkey when infected with worms so that the rest of the birds do not become infected.
The drug is an anthelmintic agent. It is used for ascariasis and amidostomosis. The drug neutralizes worms. It is given a couple of days, mixed with food. At 1 kilo of bird weight, you need to count 0, 5 grams of piperazine.
It is a complex antibacterial agent for: bronchitis and pneumonia, mycoplasmosis, chlamydia and diseases of the excretory system. Birds are treated for 3 to 5 days. 100 grams of Eriprim is dissolved in 100 ml. water. You can mix 150 grams of the product in 100 grams of food.
Tip: If you mix the medicine with food, it will be active for 2 months, and if with water, then just a couple of days.
How and what to treat
Diarrhea in poults is only a symptom of some factor provoking it. Therefore, to normalize the stool in birds, it is necessary to treat the root cause, which causes diarrhea. As a rule, antibiotics and probiotics are used for these purposes. For the general strengthening of the body, the bird is drunk with vitamins.
When diarrhea occurs in individual individuals, they should be transplanted into another cage, and the house should be disinfected, after thoroughly clearing it from litter.
Antibacterial agents are mixed in food or diluted in water and given to a bird according to the scheme drawn up by a veterinarian. Drugs used to treat diarrhea:
- Enrofloxacin, Ciprofloxacin, Ofloxacin. Dosage is calculated based on the live weight of the bird. You need 10 mg per 1 kg of body weight. Or 1 ml of 10% solution for one liter of water,
- Tetracycline, Oxytetracycline, Biomitsin and others. Chicks 5–10 mg, adults 10–20 mg per individual,
- Levomycetinum, Floron. 2–4 ml of the drug per liter of water,
- Furazolidone. Chicks 7–10 mg, adults 15–20 mg.
Also used for the treatment of complex drugs. Akvaprim, Avidoks, Quinocol, Trisulfon, etc.
Antibacterial drugs should be prescribed only by a qualified specialist. Overdose can lead to the death of the bird.
Most antibacterial drugs have a negative effect on the beneficial intestinal microflora.To restore it use probiotics:
- Lactobacterin and others.
Also in the role of probiotics can be fermented milk products (yogurt, whey), added to the feed for poultry.
Antibiotics and probiotics should preferably be drunk for at least 5-7 days.After treatment, the final stage is the drinking of birds with vitamins. Therapy is carried out by mixing vitamin complexes with food, or dissolving in water. As a rule, the duration of this rehabilitation is one to two weeks. After the poults become alert and active again, they have a good appetite, they stop vitamin therapy. To maintain the overall condition, improve metabolism as an anti-stress drugs use the following medications:
Experts do not advise giving birds sweet solutions (glucose, sugar). They provoke the reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms in the intestine.
It is possible to treat the poults as prescribed by a veterinary doctor drugs, and folk remedies. Both methods give a good result. It is important to pay attention to the cause and severity of the disease. The initial disease is associated with any inflammation, folk remedies will cope with the disease.
Most often, liquid stool in turkey poults appears from the wrong diet and poor-quality food. In this case, the treatment consists of the following actions:
- Insulation sick bird
- Cleaning and disinfection maintenance rooms
- Feed change
- Feeding the chick with drugs. It can be decoctions of medicinal herbs (chamomile, nettle, and others). Also, for the normalization of stools in chicks, activated charcoal, brewed green tea, a weak solution of potassium permanganate,
- At least 20 days of quarantine.
Many experienced breeders recommend periodically soldering poultry with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
Timely vaccination is the only effective way to protect poultry from viral and bacterial diseases. Most viral diseases are deadly for turkey poults, so if even one individual gets infected, the entire herd may die. Adhering to the preventive immunization scheme established by the veterinarian, it is possible to grow healthy offspring and get high-quality dietary meat. You can vaccinate chicks yourself at home, but if there is no experience, you can invite a specialist to perform this procedure. Vaccination is the creation of a kind of artificial immunity in a bird against a certain infection.
To protect against some diseases, poults are vaccinated once, in other pathologies, this procedure should be carried out every year.
Depending on the drug used, vaccination is carried out:
- By spraying the whole herd.
- Buried in drug through the nose, eyes.
- By method watering.
For intramuscular or instillation vaccination, it is better to enlist the help of an assistant so that he can reliably fix the bird.
DietMost often, problems in the house are due to acquired low-quality feed. In the case when its shelf life has expired or storage conditions have been grossly violated. With excess moisture and storage temperatures, harmful microorganisms can develop in feed. By visual inspection microscopic pathogenic bacteria is difficult to notice, so they often enter the body of the bird and cause various diseases.
In addition to diarrhea, poults may experience vomiting, convulsions, and weak activity.
Unbalanced diet leads to indigestion of the digestive system. Foods that are too high in protein, carbohydrates and fats in excess of the norm cause fermentation in the intestines, excretion of uric acid and appear as light-colored, fetid liquid fetid. To prevent this pathology in birds, it is necessary to balance the diet.
In the diet of poults should be flour from corn and wheat, bran, boiled eggs, mixed with cottage cheese, various trace elements, vitamins.
In order to grow healthy turkeys and get a lot of good dietary meat, you must adhere to the rules of hygiene content of turkey poults, starting with hatching:
- Chicks must be kept separate. from adults.
- Before settling young stock disinfection must be carried out in the house.
- To the barn there must be fresh air and be kept clean.
- From the 20th day of life turkey poults establish special perches at a height of 10-15 cm from the floor. It is necessary to correctly calculate the place for all birds so that they are not crowded. Gradually the roost is raised higher from the floor, and the length of the poles is increased.
- Sure to observance of temperature and lighting. This is especially important for chicks up to five days old. It is at this time that they are most defenseless and there is a risk of their death.
Video about histomoniasis in turkey poults.
Diarrhea is a common occurrence in turkey poults. Digestive disorders can occur for various reasons:
- Change feed.
- Power failure.
- Diseases of the digestive tract.
The most common cause of liquid stool in poultry is poor-quality food or unbalanced nutrition. To exclude the poisoning of turkey poults with poor-quality food, the feed should be out of date, the diet is balanced, and the water in the troughs is fresh and clean.
- If diarrhea is a symptom of a viral or bacterial infection, antibiotics and probiotics are used to treat birds. The last stage is vitamin therapy. It is necessary to carry it out for the full recovery of the young after an illness.
- If the cause of diarrhea is not viral or any other serious disease of the poults can be treated with folk remedies. To do this, they are evaporated with decoctions of herbs, a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
And yet, in order to accurately determine the diagnosis and treatment, you should seek help from a veterinarian.
Read about quail diseases and their treatment in this article.