There are several dozen varieties of geyher with the most varied leaf color. Green, yellow, red, gray, silver, purple, cream, monophonic and with contrasting veins. I want to tell you about the most interesting of its representatives.
- Geicher Lime Marmalade. The original variety with carved, wavy on the edge of the leaves. They are bright, lemon-green. The flowers are small, white, clustered in paniculate inflorescences. Height 25 cm, diameter 50 cm.
- Sort Electric Lime. The leaves are large, soft, fleecy, light green. Closer to the autumn, the color changes to yellow-green, thin red streaks appear.
- Geicher Champagne. Several times during the season changes the color of its leaves. In the spring, they are pink and peach in color, in summer they turn yellow, and in autumn, the colors of golden champagne. The flower is small white.
- Green Spice. The leaves of this variety during the season change color from light green to dark green with silver spots.
- Sort Georgia Peach. The leaves are rounded-toothed, pink in spring, bright in summer, peach-orange with white lining. The flowers are creamy white.
- Geicher Bell Note. Variety with maroon leaves. Height 18-20 cm. Light pink flowers on tall stalks.
- Velvet Knight. The leaves are large, slightly corrugated, almost black with a metallic tinge. One of the best varieties of geykhery.
- Geicher Little Quit. The leaves are purple-purple with a silver veil and dark veins. Light pink flowers on dark stems look great on their background.
- Grade Sinnabar Silver. A beautiful variety with silver-violet foliage and dark purple veins. The flowers are dark red.
- Geicher Gold Zebra. It has very spectacular yellow embossed feathery leaves with wide central bands of dark red color. Flowers inconspicuous white and pink.
This is only a small part of the varieties of great geyhery. You can get acquainted with the full range on our website. A review of planting material and recommendations on planting and care, see the following video.
Ideally, you should try to plant geyheru in semi-shaded areas, where there is a moderate amount of sunlight and mostly in the morning. Otherwise, you need to strictly follow the regularity of watering.
Geicher grows well in the soil of almost any type (it is desirable only that it was not acidic). It should be remembered that the plant can not tolerate the accumulation of moisture at the roots. Geyher planted either by seed or seedlings.
Preferred rassadny method. It increases the likelihood of rich and beautiful flowering.
Pre-seedlings are grown in a special container-greenhouse. After that they are transplanted into the open ground, 3 cm depth is enough, the distance from each other is at least 20-30 cm.
It is desirable that the soil was loose, it will ensure the roots of the air supply. It grows in about 20-30 days.
In the first year of growth it is undesirable to feed the geyher. Recommended regularly, but at the same time moderately watered, not more than three times a week. You need to water the area directly under the bush.
On particularly hot days it is allowed to water several times, mostly in the morning and in the evening.
Problems the gardener may face
The main cause of diseases such as spotting, rust and powdery mildew is a glut of fertilizers. Also, sometimes the cause of problems is the accumulation of water at the roots.
Powdery mildew can be eliminated with a fungicide. At occurrence of spotting it is necessary to make pollination by Bordeaux liquid no more than 2-3 times a month.
For geyhery, both caterpillars and various types of snails are extremely scary, fortunately there is now a large selection of powerful insecticides that are effective in combating these pests.
Geicher belongs to the genus of perennial herbaceous plants belonging to the family of Kamenelomkovy.Geicher has a good resistance to cold. The formation of a compact bush contribute basal dense toothed leaves on long petioles. The plant is represented by a huge variety of shapes and colors of leaves, which depict all sorts of patterns, dots and streaks. In the vegetative period, a large number of flower stalks appear on the plant. They are located above the leaves and close the beautiful decorative composition. Flowers have small sizes and unsightly look. By color can be white, red, pink.
Popular varieties: color classification
Geykher varieties differ in different bright colors of leaves, the catalog includes about 70 species of this beautiful plant. Consider what varieties of colors most often found in nature, and give a brief description.
The second name of this species is "coral bell". This plant belongs to perennial shrubs, whose height reaches up to 60 cm and width up to 30 cm.
- Geicher's "Purple Castle". The species is obliged by its name to large purple leaves.
- Geicher "Cherry Cola". A beautiful flower with red-brown foliage and lush pink inflorescences.
One of the representatives of the plant is a silver color grade "glitter". The flower has a compact size - up to 25 cm in height. Originality leaves gives an unusual silver color, which stand out black streaks. During flowering (and he usually falls in June-September), small pink inflorescences appear on the bush.
Also the most popular among silver-leafed geyher gained such varieties:
- "Mint Frost". American hybrid with green foliage and light streaks.
- "Stormy Seas". The bush of this variety has a very beautiful shape and resembles a storm sea in its appearance. The leaves are painted in an unusual lilac-purple color and covered with silver patina.
With yellow leaves
Yellow-leaved varieties are sunny and at the same time "autumn bushes", posing as a bright color. The following types are popular among them:
- Geicher "Marmalade". The shrub has a yellow-orange foliage, the inside of which is colored red. This variety is called fun and positive.
- "Lime Pie". Thanks to lemon coloring, from such a bush always blows freshness. Planted in a shadow flower garden, this variety will acquire a special look.
- "Citronelle". The shrub has large yellowish leaves, looks good among the rich bright green.
One of the brightest representatives of green shrubs is geykhera "Sasha". It looks like a small bush, whose height is about 20 cm. The leaves are painted olive-green, have a shiny top and a contrasting purple lining. The plant looks very elegant, like lace.
These varieties are distinguished by their original spotted color. Such flowers are visible from afar. Among their varieties are very popular following:
- "Midnight Rose". On the leaves of the shrub stand out pink blotches, located on a purple background. Such an ensemble of colors gives the plant a beautiful look.
- "Color Dream". The shrub is represented by unusual leaves decorated with purple-silver-green spots.
- "Hercules". This variety is well adapted to growth in sunny areas, has succulent leaves, which are coated with marble-white "spray".
Basic rules for growing
Geicher does not apply to plants that require careful and constant care. To grow a beautiful flower, You must follow simple rules:
- It is necessary to spud bushes. This is due to the fact that often the rhizome protrudes from the surface of the earth, if left uncovered, it begins to dry quickly.
- You should not worry how the plant will transfer the winter period. It is resistant to frost, in the end of the autumn you should not cut it.
- With the arrival of spring, it is necessary to remove dead leaves.
- In the fall and spring, plants are fertilized on an obligatory basis — you need to cover the base of the bush with a small layer of peat and humus.
- About once every four years it is necessary to carry out shrubs seating. If this is not done, the center of the plant will become bare and he will not be able to bear the winter cold.
How is geykher used in landscape design
Intensive selection work has led to the fact that geicher’s landscape designers begin to occupy leading positions in choosing applicants for the role of curbing or even accent-attracting plants. In this role, only the host, perhaps, can compete with it.
Thanks to the many juicy colors, shades, shapes of geyher leaves, Its use in landscape design is very multifaceted:
- in various mixborders, not only floral, but also woody-shrub,
- as companions for roses, host, daylilies, irises,
- in combination with early-flowering bulbous (due to the fact that the plant comes out of wintering with preserved rosette of leaves),
- in rock gardens and rockeries,
- as a cut plant (for varieties with beautiful buds),
- in the form of a border, decorative for a year,
- as a container plant,
- for framing ponds.
Landing and care for geyhery. What is important to know
When growing geykhery need to remember that this plant comes from the rocky shores, so it does not tolerate stagnant moisture at the roots. In addition, in the mountains, as a rule, the soil is neutral or slightly alkaline, and the preparation of the pit for planting geyhery should provide the presence of a drainage layer of 3-5 cm and deoxidized soil (with the addition of dolomite flour or ash).
Watering perennial should be very moderate, the bush is quite able to withstand a short dry season. In hot weather, it is advisable to intensively saturate the soil under the plant with moisture once a week.
In addition, geykhera will feel great if her meaty sprinkle the rhizome soil mixed with fine expanded clay or coarse sand. Thanks to such a reception, the florist will certainly avoid root rotting and subsequent loss of the specimen.
Again, when picking up fertilizer for a plant, it is useful to remember that geyher’s stony soil in the homeland is very poor and therefore top dressing either they are not produced at all, or they are added very sparingly and only occasionally.
Three reasons can destroy geykheru: stagnation of water, organic matter in large doses and acidic soil - all these factors will quickly provoke root rot. If such an attack happened to the plant, do not hesitate to cut live shoots-rosettes and use them as cuttings.
Choosing a landing site: in the shade or in the sun?
Geicher is an amazingly plastic plant, it grows well both in the sun and in openwork penumbra (for example, under the canopy of a medium-sized tree). However, when deciding on the placement issue, it is necessary to take into account the species or varietal characteristic of this plant. So light colored leaves (silver and yellow) will suffer during shadow plantings, and crimson and green leaves will feel good even with significant shading.
If there is a desire to plant geyher in a flower garden in the open sun, then it is better to place a copy so that at noon it will shade with a tall plant next to it.
Agricultural techniques for growing geyhery
In essence, being the "daughter of the mountains", geykhera is an unpretentious plant that practically does not require care. The only technique that should not be neglected is the hilling of bushes., as the core of the bush gradually bulges out of the ground and, if it is not covered, the sockets may freeze or dry out.
The plant belongs to the evergreen, its leaves are quite hardy and absolutely do not need pre-winter pruning. Moreover, the cold autumn days brighten the sockets in rich and elegant colors, forcing them to stop their gaze on amazing curtains.
Old dead leaves are removed in the spring after wintering.
In the autumn under the winter and in the spring after pruning old leaves, a layer of mulch is put under the bushes (peat with humus).
Besides, Every 3-5 years the bushes need to be divided and plantedotherwise the perennial center becomes bare, the winter resistance drops sharply.
Very often there is a desire to increase the number of specimens of the geyher in the garden, adding to the rhythm of the composition, or planting its spectacular curtains in new flower gardens. Sometimes friends and relatives are asked to share their favorite plant. Is it possible to propagate the geyher, to divide it? The answer is of course possible.
Moreover, the division of the bush is often a prerequisite for the preservation of geykhera, since over time its ground part grows significantly, and without rejuvenation, you can completely lose the valuable variety.
It is best to divide the bush in early May or August. The optimal age of the instance intended for division 3-4 years.
Bush gently dig up without damaging the root system, washed in water so that you can easily see all the existing buds and roots.
With a sharp knife, the plant is divided into 3-4 parts, so that each delink has 2-3 sockets. Sections sprinkled with powdered charcoal (can be ground cinnamon) in order to avoid infection.
Secateurs remove rotten or dry roots, dried leaves. It is advisable to reduce the number of leaves on the outlet to reduce moisture loss.
Prepared delenki can be planted in separate pots, but it is best to have in the garden a special shaded bed for plant reproduction. The soil in this shkolke should be loose, with the addition of sand or vermiculite. A little ash can be added to the landing hole for geyher to neutralize soil acidity.
The distance between plants when planted at a small 7-8 cm.
Freshly planted bush sprinkled with earth so as not to deepen the central bud and must be watered. In irrigation water it is good to add the drug Kornevin, which stimulates the growth of suction roots.
As a rule, the survival rate of geyhery is very good, almost all delenki easily take root and grow. Transplantation of young specimens from a small school to a permanent place is performed as a full-fledged bush grows with all varietal characteristics (the required shape and color of the leaf plate)
It is better to exclude autumn transplants of young geyher, transferring this event to spring.
Reproduction by cuttings
If there is no desire to disturb the bush, then a rosette without a root is cut off from the main specimen, part of the leaves is removed from it to reduce transpiration (evaporation) and planted in a school by analogy with the method described above.
The best time for this is before flowering, i.e. May and June, young rosettes are cut off on the cuttings.
Due to the lack of roots, it is more difficult for the plant to adapt to life, therefore, over the cuttings, geyheris install a mini-greenhouse from arcs or an ordinary plastic canister. Shading in this case is mandatory.
3-4 weeks after planting, young leaves begin to appear, indicating a successful rooting.
Growing geykher from seed
If you need to get a lot of planting material, use geyher seed sowing. Their germination drops sharply after a year of storage, so you need to choose only fresh seeds.
Since geyhery seedlings are tiny, it is difficult to care for them in the garden, even on a separate garden bed. It is best to grow seedlings on the windowsill or in the greenhouse in small containers.
Geyher seeds germinate in the light, so sowing is superficial. The soil is loose, with the addition of vermiculite and drainage arrangement. As a rule, young shoots are shown 2-4 weeks after seeding. Their picking into separate pots is made after the appearance of 2-3 true leaves.
It is very important not to overflow young outlets, since stagnant moisture is destructive for them.
When growing geyher from seeds, it is necessary to remember that most of the outlets that appear will not resemble the mother plant, and only some of the seedlings will retain varietal properties.
The most popular varieties of geyhery
Basically, all modern varieties of geyher are obtained by hybridizing several species forms:
- American geyhera (spectacular sockets with brown-purple inside and little interesting inflorescences),
- hairy geyhera with velvet leaves and pubescent peduncles,
- blood-red geykher (in the homeland her name is “purple bell” because of the pretty high bell-shaped inflorescences of bright carmine color, the foliage is carved, very beautiful, dense, well wintering in conditions of central Russia).
Thanks to the interbreeding of these and other original forms, breeders obtained amazing masterpieces with magnificent foliage and inflorescences. Be sure to mention following varieties.
Silver leaf - varieties, the foliage of which has a silver plaque, white and bluish shades, giving the compositions refinement and refinement:
- "Mint Frost" - a plant of the group of American hybrids, which has greenish foliage with light streaks,
«Stormy Seas»- гейхера с кустом красивой формы, на самом деле напоминающем штормовое море, и великолепными лилов-фиолетовыми листьями с серебристым налетом и темно-графитовыми жилками,
«Can Can» - миниатюрный сорт с очень красивыми гофрированными кирпичного цвета листьями с серебристыми пятнами и изнанкой свекольного цвета,
Regina is a showy shrub with silver-gray foliage.
Red list :
- "Purple Palace" ("Purple Castle") - an old, long-known, but because not lost its popularity variety with large purple leaves,
"Black Bird" strikes with maroon, almost black, shades of large leaves and perfectly plays the role of an accent in the composition,
"Cherry Cola" - a beautiful variety with red-brown foliage and pink lush inflorescences.
Yellow Leaf Varieties:
- “Marmelade” is a plant with yellow-orange foliage and red backing, very cheerful and positive,
"Key Lime Pie" ("Lime Pie") - the embodiment of lemon freshness in the garden, looks particularly impressive in the shadow flower beds,
"Citronelle" - a variety with large yellowish leaves remarkably emphasizes the green shades of the garden.
- “Midnight Rose” (“Midnight Rose”) is an amazingly beautiful plant with pink specks across a purple field,
"Color Dream" - it is difficult to describe the modifications of shades of various colors in this beauty during the season, a real kaleidoscope of purple-silver-green spots,
Hercules grows remarkably in the sun, quickly building up its succulent green leaves with a marble-white splash.
Besides the original foliage, geyher might surprise excellent flowers, suitable for cutting. Florists would highly appreciate varieties such as the geyhera creeper-like Ply de Feu with tall cowberry-colored inflorescences, Splendens with a huge cloud of red bell-shaped flowers, or the Salberregen variety with white inflorescences.
In the end, some more interesting information about geyhera
Its name is Heuchera, - the plant received in the eighteenth century in honor of the German botanist Geicher, who was engaged in its description. The birthplace of this perennial of the Kamenelomkov family is the mountains of North America, where its original species have long been called “purple bells” and “spotted geraniums” and are even used in traditional medicine. Geyheru can be found all over the world, it has many varieties, from tiny geyher snow sockets to a giant geyher, maximum (up to 1 meter high!).
European flower growers in the early twentieth century began to gradually cultivate this plant in the gardens, but the bushes looked, it is worth noting, rather inconspicuous. The French breeders Lemoine brothers, who received many hybrids from crossing different types and forms, changed the appearance of the geyher.
Based on this base, English breeder Alan Blum for several decades, brought new varieties, striking originality and diversity. In many ways, thanks to him, we can now admire a truly endless series of various shapes and colors, so attractive to us in this perennial plant.
Well, based on the foregoing, it can be concluded that geyher can be easily attributed to the category of plants "beauty without hassle." This spectacular beauty in its original outfits can completely transform the garden, giving a unique charm to any flower garden, liven up a boring mixborder or act as a bright container plant.
The author of the article is Kocheva Lyudmila Alekseevna, a gardener, a phytodesigner. Experience over 15 years