Monarda is among the herbaceous plants, the healing properties of which were known in ancient times. The flower is often used as a medicine, as well as added to food in the form of spices. Monarda emigrated to our country in the XIX century, and for a long time had a decorative purpose. Today, the plant is widely used to treat various ailments, strengthen the immune system, and solve cosmetic problems. Let's get acquainted with a useful plant closer.
Description, history, species
The flower belongs to the family of Lambs, grows in fields and meadows. The wide popularity and name of the plant gave the Swedish naturalist Karl Linna. Monarda was named in honor of Nicholas Monardes, who in the 16th century wrote a work on new flowers and plants of America.
Monarda has the following appearance: straight stems, lanceolate leaves of a light green color, basket-shaped inflorescences, flowers are presented in the form of funnel-shaped tubules, can be painted in various shades of lilac. The plant bears fruit in the form of dry nuts.
Today, there are about 20 plant varieties, among which are presented both perennial and annual flowers. The most popular are the following:
- double pigeon - common in America, Asia, Europe. It is a perennial plant type,
- Monarda Fuddy - has a distinctive citrus aroma. The flower is not only decorative, but also medicinal,
- lemon moss - also has a pronounced citrus aroma, which is reflected in the name of the plant. It blooms well in illuminated places,
- dwarf garlic - in most cases used for the production of spices.
Medicinal properties and contraindications
The plant is a real source of useful substances, it contains healing essential oils, biologically active compounds, groups of vitamins. Thanks to this flower has a wide range of useful properties:
- bactericidal action
- antiviral effects,
- immunomodulatory effects
- antioxidant properties
- anti-sclerotic agent
- antispasmodic effect
- radioprotective effect
- eliminates depressed emotional state, helps to fight depression,
- anticarcinogenic agent.
Depending on the purpose, it can be used in a dry form, as a decoction, as an essential oil. Monarda oil is a tool that can fight radiation sickness and protect the body from radiation effects. Eating a plant also helps people recover their body after chemotherapy.
Flower application areas
In most cases, the plant is used to treat respiratory diseases. Monarda has anti-inflammatory effect, eliminates the symptoms of illness, speeds recovery. In this case, the treatment takes place by inhalation or aromatherapy.
The flower accelerates the processes of regeneration in the body, so that it is used for burns, ulcers and fractures. Wounds should be washed with drops of oil, compresses are applied to the fractures.
Monarda is widely known as an anthelmintic agent. It is necessary to smear the oil on the abdomen and rub it well. This will get rid of worms. Effective plant will be in the fight against fungus legs.
- rinsing the mouth for the treatment of inflammatory processes,
- elimination of eating disorders
- treatment of boils,
- eye wash,
- elimination of inflammation in gynecological ailments,
- eliminating bacterial diseases of the legs,
- with pneumonia,
- for elimination of chronic fatigue syndrome - an excellent tonic, allows you to restore vigor and strength.
The flower may be useful in domestic issues. The solution of plant oil with water can effectively deal with mold - a common problem in residential areas with high humidity.
Flower was widely used in cosmetology. It is scientifically proven that the Monarda inhibits the aging process and rejuvenates the body's cells. In this connection, the flower has become a frequent ingredient in masks, creams and tonics. Oil can be used to care for the whole body. It is often applied during the massage.
Monarda is effective in combating problem skin. Using plants allows you to eliminate acne, acne, narrow pores and normalize the activity of the sebaceous glands.
The flower has a lot of useful properties and is safe. However, as with the use of other types of grass, with the dosage of monarda and how to use it, you must be careful. When taking large doses, side effects may occur. It is not recommended to use women in the position, since the effect of grass on the body of the future mother is not yet fully understood. Do not give grass to small children.
In cooking, grass is most often used in a dry form. It is added as an ingredient for pickles and preservation, used in the form of greens for salads, added to teas. To prepare a hot drink, it is necessary to grind the inflorescences and leaves of the plant, add lemon and mint, pour boiling water and let it brew for about 20 minutes.
Monardo can be used as a dressing for the first courses. For this fit the leaves, stems and even the inflorescences of the plant. You can use the flower in dry form.
The plant will fit well in the recipe for light salads. For example, spring salad: branches of lemon mint with leaves, green onions, sour cream, boiled eggs, leaves of monarda. Ingredients are ground and mixed together. Monarda with green onions sprinkles on top.
In the summer, a cocktail of buttermilk will be a useful and extremely tasty cocktail. To do this, dilute 4 cups of buttermilk with one glass of water, add a tablespoon of chopped herbs, you can add vanilla to taste. Shake the contents and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Tip: you can use the plant in the household. Add monarda inflorescence to the pantry where you store the vegetables. This will help preserve content longer. Dry flower is recommended to set fire and fumigate trees in the garden. This will get rid of aphids. Navar of grass is used as a spraying of the garden and the destruction of parasites.
Use in medicine - simple recipes
- from the fungus legs - apply a plant oil to a cotton swab and make a compress in the affected place. Wash off in an hour
- for wound healing - 100 g of crushed grass pour boiling water, let it brew, strain. Lubricate the areas around the wounds. Boiled gruel should not be thrown away, it can be applied to the bandage and applied to the wound,
- To relieve stress - a tablespoon of grass, pour a glass of boiling water, let it brew, take a spoonful before meals,
- for colds — chopped flowers and leaves of the plant should be filled with boiling water and inhaled,
- from problematic skin - dissolve 15 drops of oil in 500 mg of warm water and wipe your face.
We considered the beneficial properties and contraindications of the Monarda, and finally - interesting facts about the plant:
- monard and bergamot have similar smells, so they are often confused with each other. Although outwardly the flowers do not look like,
- Monarda was often used in Indian tribes. From it boiled teas and added to food. Indians noticed its positive effects on the body and actively used in cooking,
- monarda has a lot of names - lemon mint, fragrant balsam, Indian pen, Oswego tea, American lemon balm,
- the root crop of the plant produces an essential oil that repels underground pests. Therefore, the plant is often planted in their gardens and gardens around other crops.
Medicinal properties of the plant
Useful properties of this fragrant flower can not be overestimated, the most important of them are:
- Strengthening immunity.
- Thanks to the essential oils, duo rods can inhibit the growth and spread of bacteria.
- Removal of various kinds of inflammation.
- It helps in the fight against oncology in the initial stage of the disease.
- It treats cystitis and otitis.
- Can be used for inhalation during the period of illness.
- Improves the gastrointestinal tract.
- It has antioxidant properties.
- Helps in the treatment of tuberculosis and pneumonia.
- Used as an antispasmodic, remedy.
- Acts as a rubbing massage for rheumatism.
- If necessary, used as an antiseptic.
- May act as a laxative.
When using Monarda increases the effect of antibiotics, which reduces the consumption of the drug.
The medicinal properties of Monarda are used as an adjunct in treating a disease, but before using this flower, you should consult with a specialist who will help you find the right dose and calculate the duration of use.
Spheres of application
Due to the high content of beneficial properties, monarda has a wide range of uses, including:
Despite the fact that medicine never stands still, many experts still use natural medicines in their treatment. This allows patients to treat various diseases without harming the body. The use of monarda in medicine most often occurs:
- With the destruction of worms and other parasites.
- For the treatment of fungus in various parts of the body.
- With the elimination of chronic fatigue.
- In the fight against eating disorders.
- For the treatment of gynecological diseases.
- For washing eyes.
- With bacterial disease of the legs.
In the fight against SARS, as this plant has an anti-inflammatory effect and helps a person to quickly recover from the disease. For a quick effect, use inhalations with monarda or aromatherapy.
Using monard as an addition to the treatment of the disease, you ensure a speedy recovery and strong immunity.
Monarda is a popular and often used plant for those who want to look young and attractive, because it can slow down the aging process. Today, masks, tonics and creams are made of odorous flowers for different parts of the body. Also, Monarda oil is used for therapeutic and prophylactic massage.
A miracle plant acts not only as a natural medicine or a good additive to cosmetic preparations, but also as an effective fighter against mold.
For people with problematic skin, monard will become an indispensable assistant, as it can help in the fight against acne and acne, as well as narrow pores and normalize the work of the sebaceous glands.
The taste and aroma of fresh monarda has citrus notes. Greens can be consumed fresh, as well as used as a dry seasoning during the cold season. Seasoning is suitable for meat dishes and hot salads. Also, parts of this plant are used for the manufacture of alcoholic beverages - liqueurs or vermouths.
Fresh green garlic is the original ingredient for summer appetizers and salads. It can also be crushed and used to cook green borscht. Many add it also to fruit and berry cocktails, jams, pastries. In winter, it is useful to prepare tea with dried monadra leaves and lemon - this combination boosts immunity and helps the body in the fight against seasonal immunodeficiencies.
The benefits of essential oil, infusion
Nutrients are found in all parts of the plant, including the stems, leaves and flowers. They are used to make butter in an industrial way. In the process of its receipt, the flowers are processed by the method of steam distillation.
Essential oil of Monarda can be purchased at the pharmacy in finished form.
There are oils made from various plant species on sale:
- Dardchatye Monarda ester - the most common, has healing and antiseptic properties,
- lemon oil — made from a variety with bright colors and a pronounced lemon scent,
- Essential oil of Monarda dotted - it is also called horse mint,
- extract of monarda mint leaf - rarely used, because in high dosage is toxic to humans.
Essential oils do not apply in pure form. To achieve the maximum effect, a few drops of this product for one application are enough. In order to prevent the occurrence of allergies or chemical burns, esters are added to warm water (a couple of drops is enough for 1 liter). As part of cosmetics, they are combined with natural vegetable oils: olive, almond, coconut, jojoba and others.
Infusion frivolous Monarda - another way to extract all the useful substances from this plant. 100 g of dried crushed raw materials are placed in a thermos and pour 1 liter of water.
The mixture should be infused for several hours under the lid, after which it can be added to foot baths, rubbed the face, rinsed the hair or taken orally in small quantities. The infusion will be more concentrated if you leave it overnight, and use it the next morning.
Preparation of raw materials from monarda
The homeland of the plant is South America and the eastern part of North America. In Europe, it is grown in gardens and greenhouses, sometimes it can also be found growing wild. The collection of raw materials occurs in the period of mass flowering plants.
For this, only adult specimens are suitable, which have accumulated a large number of useful elements. The stem is cut at a level of 20-30 cm from the ground. Then the flower is crushed together with shoots, leaves and flowers, dried in the sun and stored together with other spices in a dry dark room.
In what form is best to use?
The plant can and should be consumed in various forms, since its medicinal properties depend on the type of preparation of monarda. Naturally medicine can be used in the form of:
- Tea, which helps to cure or prevent colds.
- Tinctures, which contains vitamin C, B1 and B2. It is used in the fight against problem skin and to raise the immunity.
- Essential oil. In this form, the plant can be used both for aromatherapy and for inhalation during a cold.
- Juice. Just squeezed juice of Monarda can help in the healing of wounds and abrasions.
In whatever form you use a medicinal plant, it will have a positive effect both on certain parts of the body and on the organism as a whole.
How to plant a monarda seed in the ground
Sowing monarda in spring
If the monard is cultivated in the southern regions, then its seeds are sown immediately in the ground. Do it in February, choosing a sunny warm day. A couple of months that are still cool will contribute to the natural stratification of the seeds. And only in April-month, we can expect the emergence of strong and friendly shoots, which after a while should be thinned.
If at the time of sowing on the ground is snow cover, you should clear a piece of land and cover it with a film. The ground under the film warms up well and will be ready for loosening. Before laying the seeds in it, the top layer of soil is mixed with sand. Seeds are sown to a depth not exceeding 2.5 cm. It is better to sprinkle the seeds on top with sand rather than soil.
Sowing Monarda before winter
Many people practice autumn sowing of the Monarda after the seeds have been collected. We need to wait for a cold snap, with night frosts up to 5 ° С. Each region has its own climate, but about the winter you can sow in late October, when there is no risk of seed germination in warm weather.
The beds are prepared in advance, so that the land is settled and grooves are made at a distance of 20-25 cm. Sow as rarely as possible and not deep, up to 2.5 cm.
With the arrival of spring, the grown seedlings dive in order to get beautiful and strong bushes. It should be noted that the flower rises slowly.
Delicious flower: application and medicinal properties of Monarda
Monarda is common in the garden areas of the country as an ornamental plant, but it deserves special attention due to its taste and medicinal properties. It is more than just decorating your garden. Monarda is a universal herb, which has found various uses for health and in cooking. For a long time it is used as medicine, spice or tea. Here you will learn more about it.
What is monarda?
Monarda is a very pretty plant with a beautiful fruity, mint flavor, on the stems of which, 90-100 cm long, in the middle and late summer, magnificent flowers appear in the form of crowns of various colors, including red, pink and purple. In addition to the decorative qualities, the monard is valued for its culinary and healing properties.
Healing properties of Monarda
The healing properties of Monarda are provided by its chemical composition. The most valuable product obtained from this plant is essential oil, having bactericidal action of a wide spectrum. Also essential oil of Monarda has antioxidant, reproductive, antianemic, immunomodulatory, radioprotective properties.Well known antistress properties of monarda. With constant fatigue, the use of this plant affects the central nervous system, its tone rises, vivacity appears, and strength is restored.
The properties of the monarda plant are used to speed up the healing process for eczema, burns, bronchial asthma, and salmonellosis. Fights viruses, fungi, mycoplasmas.
Монарда имеет лечебные свойства, позволяющие бороться с гельминтами. Тимол, содержащийся в растении, обладает глистогонным действием. But apply the plant in conjunction with other means to combat this problem. Monarda also activates the action of antibiotics, which allows to reduce the number of their use.
Application in cosmetology
Monarda in cosmetology is used in the form of an essential oil, decoctions. The problem of teenage acne, acne and other skin diseases, including foot fungus, is also solved by the external use of decoctions, tinctures containing monardo in the composition. Effectively used to eliminate the problems of oily scalp, treatment of seborrhea.From the decoction of the plant masks are prepared with the addition of blue or white clay. To prepare decoction, You will need 2 tablespoons of raw materials and 200 ml of boiling water. Mixture insist 10 hours in a thermos. This decoction is suitable for washing, to stop the inflammatory processes in the pores of the skin.
Butter oil also used to postpone old age. Regular massages using this oil renew the cells and slow down the aging process.
Monardo is added to creams, to skin care products after being under the sun, in anti-aging lines. The use of products with this component tones the skin.
How to use bergamot in cooking
Not only in folk medicine and cosmetology application of monarda thrives. In cooking, this herb is also often used, but more often it is called bergamot.
The leaves, flowers and shoots of the Monarda have a tart pleasant aroma. In recipes it is used in fresh and dried form.
Examples of use of monardy-bergamot in cooking:
- making tea
- as a seasoning in soups, meat and fish dishes, side dishes, salads,
- in the preservation of tomatoes and cucumbers,
- for flavoring jam, fruit drinks,
- component of sauces, add to pizza.
Monarda in alternative medicine
In folk medicine, the use of such a plant as monard or lemon balm is very wide. The plant has a bactericidal property and therefore it is widely used in the treatment of:
- sore throats
- bronchial asthma,
- prolonged pneumonia,
Attention! Monarda has anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, immunomodulatory, adaptogenic and anthelmintic, anti-sclerotic, anti-anemic, anti-stress, radioprotective and anti-carcinogenic properties.
It is widely used to restore psycho-emotional health, with nervous disorders, fatigue syndrome, which is important in the age of a mad pace of life. Taking melissa will help to normalize your nerves, improve your emotional perception of life.
Take a look! How huge is the area of application of this plant in medicine, and the results from the use of derivatives of the plant Melissa American, so effective that it is difficult to believe in them.
Application of monarda oil
An oil extract is prepared from Monarda, which has a wide range of uses. Treat such diseases as:
Note! It is impossible to imagine the treatment of these diseases without monarda oil.
Oil has a huge arsenal of bactericidal effects. As you have noticed, it is successfully used for genital and urinary infections, which is difficult to treat. It is necessary to treat such infections quickly, because they cause so much inconvenience to the patient.
It is treated with oil extract and lipid metabolism disorder, this is a serious disease and any help is valuable. High levels of lipids direct path lead to strokes and heart attacks. Mortality in these diseases is incredibly high.
By taking the oil, you reduce cholesterol levels to normal, increase the presence of triglecerides in the blood and, as a result, the level of alpha proteins decreases. Decreases in beta-lipoprotein and atherogenic index.
By acting, the monarda is able to clear the vessels of atherosclerotic plaques and for that, she needs to sing the praises. Helping to inhibit oxidizing lipid enzymes, monarda gives impetus to anti-sclerotic effects.
Incredible! Lemon balm oil is able to resist radiation sickness and protect the human body from radiation.
Chronic body fatigue is also treated by it. Taking oil balm, the tone of the nervous system increases, vigor appears, and the forces of life return to normal.
When skin grafts or cosmetic surgeries can not do without monarda, as its derivatives are used to engraft other people's skin. She is also an excellent blood preservative.
For better healing of bones in fractures, especially in old age, bones grow together very difficult, doctors strongly recommend drinking tea with American balm. Here are some recipes:
Tea from dried or fresh grass of Monarda. Grind the plant in a mortar, take two spoons of table raw materials, pour into a quart jar and pour boiling water, wrap and let it brew for half an hour, strain the drink and take 1/4 cup 3 times a day.
Lemon wound gruel
Crush dry raw materials, pour boiling water with a glass of tea, insist under the lid for 20 minutes, strain the solution, put gruel on the wound, and it is recommended to rinse or wipe the liquid.
Monarda in cosmetics Faberlik
Monarda is not the last place in the production of cosmetic products. Oil, extracts and decoctions from it are part of creams, masks and balms used for the face, body, hair.
Concern "Faberlik" works with plant material. All cosmetics and all hygiene products are manufactured by this company using natural raw materials. Melissa essential oil is used to make a popular anti-mold remedy.
Since American Melissa contains a whole clip of antifungal, bactericidal and antiviral components, its oil is invaluable in the fight against mold. Destroys the fungus and its disputes completely. Cleanse the environment from pathogenic bacteria and viruses. If you do not destroy the mold, then in the end, you will encounter such problems as:
- Headache and irritability.
- Fatigue and depression.
- Allergy and chronic diseases.
Caution! After all, mold spores can be found on the ceiling in the bathroom, on the carpet, in the ventilation ducts and on the clothes, it is everywhere where moisture is even slightly present.
And cosmetology can not do without such a unique plant. After all, only the fact that applying oil from it significantly slows down not only the aging of the skin, but also the entire body, American balm must be installed on a pedestal by American balm. This plant can make odes, how useful and unique in its healing properties it is.
You know, there is such an attack, as a burr on the periungual bed, it is difficult to get rid of them, and the painful sensations have to be strong. There is a good way to deal with them, apply 2 times a day to these places American balm oil, and you will forget about this problem forever.
Gel of monarda
Gel-spray "Monarda" is widely used in preschool institutions for prevention during rampant viral and infectious epidemics.
Launched at the company Faberlik and medical varnish with a monad for nails. Healthy well-groomed nails, business card of any woman and that is why they so carefully monitor their health. Melissa oil not only heals nails, but also moisturizes and nourishes them.
Be careful! Taking a shower after working in a common shower, visiting a sauna or a bath, no one is immune from infection with a fungus, and this disease is unpleasant, it not only spoils the appearance of the nails, but also is accompanied by itching, which is extremely irritating.
To cope with this problem will help the varnish with the monard, it will not only cure, but also significantly strengthen your nails.
It is recommended when taking in nature or when working at the cottage to take the “Monardo” product with you, it helps very well from insect bites, it will help with sunburn. Relieves the symptoms of sunstroke, useful for the treatment of abrasions and cuts.
It is hard to believe, but lemon balm oil can be considered a panacea for all ills. Only one gel spray is applicable from the control of mold to adding to food. Reviews of Faberlik cosmetic products and monarda oil:
- Gel spray probably scored the largest number of reviews. This is not surprising. The hero of the first channel broadcasting to the whole country. You want, you do not want, but made you pay attention even for a moment to the products in the form of a miracle of gels, of the Faberlik concern.
- Gel-spray "Monarda" and "Monarda +" have a high rating and a lot of letters of thanks from consumers. Especially they are popular with moms with young children. After all, many children go to kindergarten, and so often someone is sick. The child got a little puffed up or even coughs, it does not matter, there is no temperature, which means that the visit to the kindergarten is not canceled. And the workers of the children's institutions began to use the Monarda + air freshener and the children became much less susceptible to infection.
Tip! Pay attention to this tool. Melissa essential oil has a huge potential of antiviral, bactericidal and even a bunch of disinfecting properties. It successfully treats gastrointestinal diseases, protects against radiation, and does a lot more. Enumeration of its merits will take a whole page, and maybe more.
Buy monarda oil
Fragrant lemongrass essential oil of lemon balm, usually packaged in small containers of 50 ml. or 250 ml. This is done for the convenience of buyers. Someone has not tried to use oil.
In order not to waste money, take for testing a small bottle of oil. Helped? Here is a blackcock, go to the pharmacy for a big vial. It is necessary to be treated thoroughly, but not half. Until victory over the disease. Take good advice, always keep the oil of Monarda in your home medicine chest.
In the ranks of varieties of the genus Monarda there are annuals and perennials.
Here is a list of the main external characteristics inherent in the whole botanical genus:
- Stems are straight and branched. Reach up to 15 cm - 150 cm.
- The leaves are lanceolate and light green in color. The location is opposite. The length reaches from 6 to 15 cm, and the width from 3 to 8 cm. The ends of the leaves are pointed.
- Basket-shaped inflorescences. Consist of several floral verticils with a diameter of 6-7 cm.
- The flowers are small funnel-shaped tubes. Painted mainly in lilac, purple, mauve and red. It blooms from June to September.
- Fruits - double dry nuts.
Underground stems are long and horizontal.
Botanical genus Monarda includes about 20 species of plants. Many of them are often used in gardening.
The most popular are:
The origin of this plant belongs to the countries of North America. Spanish mariners brought this flower to Europe after Columbus discovered the New World. Due to its decorative effect and flavor, it spread throughout the mainland, including in our country.
A method of making spices
The use of spices from monarda is one of the many uses of this herb.
For the manufacture of spices from this plant you need:
- Collect monard during flowering. It was at this time in its composition the maximum content of essential oil.
- Cut the stems no shorter than 25 cm from the soil.
- Dry and grind.
- It is necessary to store it, like other spices, in a tight-fitting dry container.
The most characteristic properties of all types of monards are:
- Mint-lemon aroma, inherent mainly to the trunks and flowers of the plant.
- Honey-bearing property, thanks to which butterflies, bees and even hummingbirds (in the places where they are found) always circle above the flower.
- The third important quality of Monarda, characteristic of the whole family is that all the flowers contain a huge stock of essential oil. The most informative flower in this regard is Monarda Twin (Monarda didyma).