Hungarian breeds are one of the most popular among Russian farmers. These birds are characterized by high body weight and high egg productivity, which makes them so popular. Among the chickens hatched in Hungary, special attention should be paid to the Hungarian Giant.
The Hungarian Giants were obtained by long-term interbreeding of aboriginal breeds with Orpington. The result is fast-growing chickens that easily gain muscle mass. Also during breeding, the ability of chickens to tolerate cold and other adverse weather conditions was taken into account.
Modern breeders continue to cross this breed with other chickens, as they hope to get more unpretentious in feeding birds. Now the Hungarian Giants are quite demanding, so not every newcomer can feed them.
Breed description Hungarian Giant
The Hungarian Giants look quite large from the outside. The body is massive, wide. However, it does not look very angular, as the fluffy plumage well hides the overall shape of the body. The back of the Hungarian Giants is wide, but not very big. It ends quickly, turning into a medium-sized tail. It is located at a small obtuse angle in relation to the back of the Hungarian Giant. On the tail are medium length braids, having light rounded shapes.
The chest of the Hungarian Giants is round and very full. The belly is as wide and large. The wings are well pressed to the body of the bird, located at a slight angle to the back.
The head is small, expressive. Scarlet face, no plumage. The eyes of these chickens are small, painted in orange-red colors. The beak of these Giants is usually painted in light yellow colors. The comb is quite small, even for roosters. On it teeth and cuts are hardly noticeable.
Ear lobes in cocks and hens have a rounded shape, painted in light colors. Earrings of medium length, rounded. The neck of the Hungarian Giants is long, planted exactly with a slight bend at the head. Hips are large, fluffy plumage is present. The legs are of medium length with thin bones. They are completely absent plumage.
Chickens differ from roosters in a deeper chest and a large belly. They have a small tail that stands almost vertically in relation to the ground. The hen's crest is smaller, but stands straight.
Beetles for birds are very dangerous! From this article you can learn how to deal with them.
As for the color, both the hens and roosters of the Hungarian Giants have a red-brown color. Roosters almost always have a black tail, and there is also a darker plumage on the wings and back.
The Hungarian Giants are well suited for upkeeping on the backyard. They are almost immune to the effects of cold and high humidity. Even the young of this breed is well acclimatized on the farm in the most adverse conditions. For this reason, the breed is advised to start even those who have no experience in breeding poultry.
The content of this breed is simplified well maternal instinct in hen. They form the laying of eggs themselves, and then carefully incubate. In addition, the hens take good care of their offspring, so the breeder may not worry about it.
Hungarian chickens grow very quickly. Of course, their growth rate cannot be compared with broilers, but for a breed of this type it can be called fast enough. In short terms, the breeder can get almost 3 kg of quality meat.
Content and cultivation
The Hungarian Giants were originally intended for breeding at home, so any chicken house with a small range would be suitable for them. The yard for walking can be both green and completely earthen. You can also release birds in the garden, where they will look for grains and insects.
It should be noted that this breed not demanding compliance with strict temperature conditions. She feels great in winter and summer. This property is explained by the good condition of the feather cover. For this reason, in the house you can not organize additional heating. It is enough to lay a dense bed of hay.
However, its dryness should be monitored, because pathogens that have a negative impact on the health of the bird can multiply in a wet litter.
The only thing a farmer needs to know is that the chickens of the Hungarian Giants must eat properly in order to gain normal body weight. They are recommended to feed industrial high-protein combination feed. The remaining feed is not suitable for chickens of this breed.
This recipe is the most affordable, since all the components have an acceptable cost and can be easily found on sale. Of course, the percentage of ingredients may vary, but with the help of this recipe is preparing the best and most effective food.
The live weight of the cocks of the Hungarian giants can vary from 2.5 to 3 kg, and the chickens from 2 to 2.5. At the same time, the hens of the Hungarian Giants can produce up to about 200 eggs, and the egg production of individual individuals can fluctuate both in the smaller and in the larger direction. 55 g eggs are perfect for incubation. Usually the eggs of this breed of hens have a light brown color.
Where can I buy in Russia?
- Hungarian giants can be bought in a private farm "Fun ripple". It is located in the city of Kurgan on Omskaya Street in the house 144. You can find out the exact cost of daily chickens, as well as hatching eggs, by calling +7 (919) 575-16-61.
- The sale of adult birds and day-old chickens of this breed is engaged in farming "Komov Dvor". It is located near St. Petersburg. To find out the exact cost of the bird, please call +7 (921) 365-41-96.
The only breed, similar to the Hungarian Giants, are the chickens Hercules. These birds have impressive body weight and good egg productivity. Roosters of Hercules breed can reach a mass of more than 4 kg. As for laying hens, they can produce almost 300 eggs per year. However, this breed should be properly maintained and fed, otherwise it will not be able to reach record sizes.
The Hungarian Giants are an unpretentious breed of chickens that is well suited for home gardening. These birds are well tolerated by the cold, so they will feel great in the Russian farm. But you need to remember that chickens will grow poorly if they do not get enough protein along with the feed.
How did this breed appear?
The Hungarian giant is the fruit of many years of work by breeders who crossed a very productive and famous breed of Orlington with various Hungarian hens. In the process, specimens with the best rates of early maturity, faster weight gain, and good egg production were selected. As a result, the hens were bred - giants, which, after the name of the country in which they appeared, became known as Hungarian.
Another name for the breed is Foxy Chick. Breeders and now continue to cross the best specimens of the species with other known breeds, they want to achieve improved performance at the same time with an unpretentious attitude to nutrition. These works are carried out because this breed is still distinguished by its exactingness to the quantity and quality of feed, therefore not every host owner is able to grow the Hungarian giant.
Unfortunately, in other countries it is not possible to breed this breed by breeding chickens, therefore, hatching eggs are exported, from which purebred Hungarian giants are derived.
These chickens are distinguished by large body size, massive bones, and a wide, deep chest. Plumage volumetric, lush, which gives more volume to these birds.
The back is rather short, straight, wide. The tail plumage is medium in size, in females it is located at a right angle to the back, and in males it is slightly inclined.
The belly is rounded, bulging forward. The wings are pressed to the body, but their ends are slightly sticking out in different directions.
The head is of medium size, has no plumage, the Crest is leaf-shaped, medium, upright. The color of the scalp, comb and lobes is red, the beak is powerful enough, yellow. Long legs and an elongated neck complement the general appearance of these large birds. Hips are voluminous, covered with plumage, legs are yellow, naked.
The color of the body in these individuals is motley: bright red, brown with a scarlet shade. Moreover, in the foxy chick plumage there can be found various shades of brown and scarlet. It is for this coloring these chickens and nicknamed "Fox Chicks." In males, the plumage of the back is darker than in the hens, and their tail is predominantly colored in black tones.
Giants have the usual appearance, if you do not take into account their dimensions. Consider in detail the characteristics that are inherent in this species.
- The main feature of pugilist birds is their color. Fiery-red feathers. That is why they are called “Foxy Chick”, which literally means “fox chicken”. Thus, the color of the “coat” of the hens is very similar to the color of the “clothes” of their worst enemy - the foxes.
- The torso of feathered beauties is powerful, has a rounded shape, due to which the birds look like barrels. A well-developed skeleton and muscles are emphasized by protruding tummy and breast. Red broilers are not tall, which makes them seem even bigger.
- The heads of the birds are small, round in shape with a neat comb and earrings, saturated red. Ears are small, usually white. The bill is rounded, painted in bright yellow color, like the paws.
- Plumage harsh, but fluffy, with developed braids in the tail. In warm "fur coats" winged beauties do not freeze in cold seasons.
- In addition, consider the weight indicators. So, Hungarians roosters feed up to 4.5-5 kg. Klushi-heavyweights - about 4 kg.
The dominant character traits of giants are love of life, irrepressible activity, curiosity. But, at first glance, this may seem problematic, although in creating good and safe conditions, the winged herd does not cause any problems with its optimistic, lively disposition.
Giant leaders do not differ in excessive aggression, but if necessary, they can bravely defend the interests of their family. Of course, if the poultry farmer is able to create the safest possible conditions for life, such a side of character will not appear often.
Puberty and egg production
One of the most attractive qualities of chickens is their precocity. This is profitable, because the cost of feed will pay off in the form of testicles, and from an early age. Laying giants make a splash with their appearance - farmers were surprised by their speed of ripening. Such a wedge starts laying already at four months of age, and has not experienced problems in this business even from the first days!
Egg production and its performance is also impressive. Annual rates of egg production can exceed 280 pieces per year. But, not all layers give such indicators. Basically, the annual egg production ranges between 200 and 300 pieces. Testicular weight - the largest about 70 grams. The color of the shell is pinkish or cream.
And in matters of motherhood, the feathered giantess is as good as anyone else! Hungarian chickens giants love their offspring, happily incubate testicles and with full responsibility approach the issues of "education" of the young generation.
This is an advantage, which is especially appreciated by novice farmers, or owners of small poultry farms, which do not yet have an incubator.
Hungarian chickens giants look powerful and majestic. But, their babies do not even approximately resemble their parents. The crumbs are born very tiny - about 45 grams in weight. Small, with a short reddish fluff - in this appearance it is difficult to guess the future warriors.
But, such chicks will be very short. Growth rates of babies are truly impressive. They have a fast muscular mass and a skeleton, and closer to the age of two months, the gigantic appearance is guessed.
At the age of 3 weeks, pups weigh more than 500 grams. By the 2nd month, they can weigh about 2-2.1 kg.
Care for chicks should be very carefully. The main caring procedures are discussed below.
- Daily change of the litter to dry and clean. As a rule, the first days of chicks are kept on a cloth that needs to be disinfected - it can be ironed with a hot iron. When the chicks get a little stronger, you can stop so carefully monitor sterility.
- For 3 days from birth, let the chickens live with the lights on. In the future, it is necessary to alternate between dark and light periods of time. This contributes to the normal development, proper rest and good appetite.
- While the crumbs are not strong, they can be sensitive to temperature changes. Therefore, it should be stable heat. Humidity also matters. It is necessary to maintain humidity at the level of 55-60%. Closer to 3-4 weeks of life, the chicks can live together with the adult family, and are not afraid of the cold.
- As for walking - up to ten days of age they have nothing. Then you can gradually accustom the younger generation to fresh air.
Feeding chicks is carried out according to the traditional scheme. But, the peculiarity of feeding is that chicks have an increased need for proteins for muscle growth, and for minerals, for the development of the skeleton and internal organs.
The use of combined grain mixtures for broilers, or conventional, but with a high protein content is recommended. Supplementing the diet with proteins is also possible with the help of sour-milk products, “live” feed and cuts of meat.
In addition, the chickens menu should be greens and vegetables to fill the need for vitamins.
What to feed an adult herd?
Despite the fact that the birds are of considerable weight, their appetite is still moderate. Their content will not be too expensive. But, proper nutrition is the key to good health and maximum productivity.
If you feed the winged family correctly, there will be no need to solve the problems of diseases or add mixtures to improve egg-laying.
Consider the main secrets of successful feeding an adult herd.
- Proteins, fats and carbohydrates - the main components for the normal functioning of the body. Most of these substances are poultry obtained from the combined grain mixtures, which you can buy or prepare yourself. You can use a variety of cereals, but wheat should be the most. Of the other grains, the following are useful: oats, barley, rye, millet, corn, peas.
- Vitamins, amino acids, minerals - no less important, because they are involved in micro processes that occur at the cellular level. In order for chickens to never experience a shortage of these components, they should be given chalk, grass, vegetables, and, if possible, vitamin supplements.
- At home, the farmers love to pamper the feathered bogatyrs with nutritious nutmeal porridges, based on salmon or broth. Such warm porridge will help the herd to warm up in the winter, and will become a wonderful source of energy.
- And of course, do not forget about drinking for a winged family. Clean, cool water in the summer season, and warmed up - in the winter. Make sure that the drinkers are not dirty, and in the winter so that the water does not freeze in them.
To be frank, there are practically no flaws in this variety. Yes, they have a short productive period - no more than a year, but by this time they grow huge and their carcasses have good taste.
This is all that could be said about giant chickens from Hungary. Tell your friends on social networks about this incredible living creatures by sharing a link - they will probably be interested to read this material.
Subscribe to updates and you will be the first to access the latest articles!
Successes to you and well-being!
In the comments you can add your photos of laying hens, rooster and chickens!
Like this article? Share with friends in social networks: