What do they do it for?
When caring for cucumbers, many agronomists recommend picking off or cutting the leaves. This procedure is done for:
- airing improvements
- prevent root rot,
- better illumination of the plant
- increase the yield of vegetable,
- correct formation of the plant,
- removal of diseased, sluggish and old leaves,
- disposing of barren flowers.
How to trim (cut off) leaves
There are several ways to cut cucumbers — these are common and lightening pruning. They are used for different varieties of cucumbers. General pruning recommended to do for self-pollinating varieties. Lightening pruning is needed only for weak plants and plants that are sick. Let's take a look at how to correctly trim the leaves.
General pruning is done for self-pollinating varieties. These varieties are most cucumbers. These varieties grow best in one stem.
In this case, this main stem grows strong and can withstand a large number of fruits. You can not worry about the fact that the harvest will be small. On this main stem, side shoots are also formed. Usually there are a lot of them, and they also produce crops.
Before pruning, the plant is conditionally divided into four parts. The first part is the base of the lash at the ground, the second is the next meter of the lash (approximately 4 nodes of growth), the third is respectively the next 0.5 meters, and the fourth part is the top.
Let's consider whether it is necessary to pick off the lower leaves of cucumbers. In the first part, it is recommended to remove all the inflorescences that are very close to the soil and those shoots that are in the sinuses. It is necessary to remove the leaves that touch the ground and turned yellow. This is done to ensure good ventilation and to prevent root rot of the plant.
On the second part of the plant, it is recommended to trim the growing point and get rid of barren flowers. In this area, leaves few leaves, and as for the fruit - they leave 3-4 pieces.
In the third part of the plant, three nodes are selected, on which 3-4 fruits will grow. At this site leave half the leaves. Other nodes can be left alone.
Such pruning ensures uniform ripening of cucumbers and make them more juicy. After such pruning increases the yield in the nodes of the whip that did not touch. In the fourth part of the plant, the growth point on the fourth leaf is cut from above. This allows the plant to grow and develop faster. Next, the antennae are fixed on the uppermost garter of the wire (or line / string).
This part of the cucumbers is constantly corrected - from time to time the antennae are fixed on the wire, while they need to be moved in a checkerboard pattern. Such actions provide uniform illumination of the plant and allow convenient harvesting.
Let's take a look at this question: is it necessary to cut the leaves on the cucumbers with brightening pruning.
This pruning is done along the entire length of the plant. Also need to remove the excess ovary. As a result, approximately six nodes of the ovary and some foliage should remain on the plant. Such a radical pruning allows to improve the ventilation of the plant, increases the illumination. After pruning, nutrients are used to restore the whip and form a good crop of cucumbers.
Do I need to trim (cut off) the mustache to get more yield
Many agronomists believe that pinching cucumbers, that is, pruning leaves and shoots is an unnecessary procedure. Let's look in more detail, whether it is necessary to cut only the leaves of cucumbers or also the antennae.
Cucumber postpones shoots of male and female. Male shoots grow on the main stem. These shoots are barren flowers. They do not yield crops. To increase the yield should appear female shoots that grow exclusively on the side shoots.
That is why you need to pinch male shoots from the main stem. At the same time it is recommended to leave the leaves, because thanks to them the plant absorbs useful substances. When pinching you need to leave the side shoots with flowers of the female, which give the harvest. If male shoots are not removed, then perhaps cucumbers will cause bitterness because of this.
For a large crop, it is recommended to properly form the lash on the plant. If hybrid varieties of cucumbers are grown, it is recommended to pinch the tops after the sixth leaf. In this case, leave three escapes, and get rid of everything else.
If you grow ordinary varieties of cucumbers, it is recommended to leave one stalk. In this case, the remaining shoots need to get rid of. Through such recommendations can increase the yield of home cucumbers.
Tips and tricks
To increase the yield of cucumbers need to pruning leaves. The following are some expert tips that you need to follow when pruning.
- Cut cucumber lash need not completely, but only to the point of growth. At full pruning, the shoot is injured and dries out.
- When a large number of barren flowers are formed on a plant, it is necessary to dry the soil. After remove points of growth. Pustous flowers tear off. After such actions, the nutrients go into cucumbers.
- If the leaves are trimmed for a long time, the lashes become thin and entangled.
- Every 10 days it is recommended to remove the yellowed leaves, as well as the leaves that are below the fruit. At the level of the crop, only a couple of leaves should be left on the shoot. The top of the plant does not touch.
- It is not recommended to direct the antennae of cucumbers, which are at the top of the shoot, along the hedge. As it begins to trudge along the hedge, and the harvest will be shaded.
- When growing cucumbers of not self-pollinating varieties, it is important to give the bees free access to flowers.
- When harvesting it is forbidden to touch knotted antennae and whip. Since it drastically reduces the subsequent ovary.
One of the main points when courting cucumbers is such a recommendation: be sure to provide good coverage of the top of the growing shoot.
After the upper lash reaches the upper support, it categorically cannot be directed in a horizontal plane along the trellis.
Such an action leads to the formation of a "tent" of cucumbers. This reduces the amount of light for the plant and reduces the yield.
Therefore, if you trim the leaves from time to time, you can increase the yield several times, and pruning facilitates the care of plants.
Why break off the foliage
Leaves on cucumber lashes are not only possible, but also need to be removed. The fact is that not all leaf blades and shoots are involved in the formation of the crop.
- Abundant greens inhibits the development of cucumbers, which adversely affects the formation of ovaries.
- Plant leaves are an important part for photosynthesis, but the green itself draws nutrients to itself, thereby weakening the bush.
- The abundant green mass creates a shadow in the greenhouse, the plants do not receive enough light, the photosynthesis process is reduced, cucumbers do not receive enough nutrition.
What gives greenhouse cucumbers pruning procedure:
- by increasing the space between the cucumbers, air circulation is improved,
- sunlight hits every bush
- increases the yield
- whips are formed correctly, due to this the number of female ovaries increases,
- reduced risk of plant diseases, including root rot.
Not all leaves in a row are subject to pruning, but only those that:
- do not give a cucumber grow normally
- infected with diseases.
Patient leaf plates need special attention. They are removed in the first place, so as not to infect the rest of cucumbers. If the disease cannot be managed, special preparations do not help, cucumbers are uprooted and burned.
When to carry out the procedure
Cucumber lashes easily rot, especially in wet greenhouse conditions. Therefore, pruning work is usually done in the early morning. The day is chosen sunny. Such conditions will help plants heal faster. After pruning the leaves, the cut sites are covered with wood ash.
Begin pruning at an early stage of cucumber growth. The leaves should be cut with sharp scissors at the base, leaving a stump of 2-3 cm.
No need to pick off the leaves of cucumbers with your hands, so as not to injure the plant.
How to do it
Pruning cucumbers is of two types:
The choice depends on the variety of cucumbers. General pruning is recommended for self-pollinating plants, and lightening is intended for weak and sick specimens, as well as for varieties with large leaves.
Regardless of the way, cut the leaf blades need to properly, so as not to lose the fruit harvest.
In parthenocarpic varieties, the main crop is formed on the main stem. Before pruning, the following parts should be mentally noted on the main shoot:
- At the very beginning of the stem, the lower inflorescences and the leaves lying on the ground are removed. Remove leaf blades with signs of yellowing and side shoots in the sinuses. This procedure ensures good air circulation.
- At the second growth point in the region of 3-4 nodes, 1-2 leaves and 1-2 cucumbers are left.
- The next pruning is carried out at a height of 50 cm. Extra leaf blades and side shoots are removed, but the leaves must remain above the cucumbers and immediately below them to nourish the growing vegetable.
- When the plant reaches the top of the greenhouse, you need to pinch the top of the head and cut off the top leaves. There should be at least 3 sheets.
Cutting leaf blades increases yields, but not everyone can do it right. Therefore, you need to follow the advice of experts:
- Scourge can not be cut completely, so as not to injure the plant.
- If there are many barren flowers, then abundant watering stops so that the soil dries out. Male flowers are removed so that they do not delay food.
- It is impossible to postpone the removal of the leaves and wait until the whips are thinned and intertwined.
- Leaf blades are cut after 10 days, no more than 2-3 leaves are removed from one plant at a time. At the same time, yellowing leaf blades are also cut off.
- If bee-pollinated varieties of cucumbers grow in the greenhouse, care must be taken to ensure that insects have access to flowers.
- On hybrids, the upper part is removed from 9 knots.
- If the leaves on the plants are too wide, partial removal of a piece of cucumber leaf helps.
Pruning leaves and side shoots on cucumber bushes is a simple procedure, but without proper skills you can lose the harvest. Therefore, beginners need to try pruning on 1-2 plants in order to understand the principle - and only then show the class on the entire plot.
Do I need to remove foliage?
As a rule, people who plant cucumbers, roughly understand how to do it, and at what time. What causes problems - it is with care. One of the measures for the care of cucumbers is the removal of excess leaves.
Answering the question: is it necessary to cut the leaves of cucumbers, we can definitely say that it is simply critically necessary. However, this should be done carefully and competently.
Many of those who have heard somewhere that cucumbers should cut off the leaves, try to tear the bush completely. This is completely wrong. It is through healthy leaves that the plant receives the necessary oxygen for growth and ultraviolet light, that is, sunlight. Therefore, if you delete everything, then the bush will quickly die, and, accordingly, will not give any fruit.
What leaves should be removed?
Now that we have learned that we still need to pick the leaves of cucumbers, we can begin to consider the question: which of them should be removed. Here you can answer briefly: those that interfere with the normal life of the plant. Among them:
- dead foliage
- affected by disease.
The above leaves take away some of the nutrients, but do not give anything in return. Also, for example, in the case when some of them are affected by some disease, if you do not carry out the cleaning procedure, then it can spread to the entire seedling, which will later die.
How to determine which leaves to tear off?
It is very easy to identify the leaves that should be removed. To do this, just look at their appearance, and then you can easily conclude about which of them need to take action. Especially for those who are just starting to work in the garden, you need, of course, to give specific examples:
- yellowed or blackened leaves,
- leaves that have holes or other damage,
- foliage on which insect larvae are present,
- foliage with strange spots.
As you can see, recognizing problems in plants is very simple. After you have completed all the relevant procedures, you will be able to count on getting the highest quality harvest.
Do you pick the leaves?
One of the important stages in the care of cucumbers is pruning, which helps not only to increase the number of fruits taken from the bush, but also to significantly improve their quality. The fact is that cucumber often forms male shoots on the main stem, which later turn into so-called “barren flowers”, which do not give fruit. They need to pinch, which will contribute to the formation of female shoots, which are formed on the side parts of the stem.
Even if the harvest is good, you should not shake over the precious leaves, which consume a large amount of nutrients and moisture necessary for the development and ripening of fruits. It is especially important to remove dry and diseased elements so that infections and pests do not spread further down the bush and do not lead to complete loss of the plant.
Rip off the bush completely is also not necessary. It is correct to leave part of the leaves, since a healthy topper gives the plant the necessary oxygen and ultraviolet, without which the culture can die.
Why and why
If you cut the leaves that are not involved in the process of photosynthesis and nutrition of the seedling, then it will give more strength to the development of the bush and extend the fruiting period. As a rule, they cut off the excess tops, which obscures the plant and interferes with the growth of the shoots.
As a result, nutrients are not wasted and contribute to the accelerated ripening of cucumbers. Many gardeners say that uncircumcised male shoots often result in bitter fruits.
What leaves to remove
Cut the greens must be properly, given the variety of cucumbers, especially the cultivation, method of pollination and harvest time.
It is mandatory to remove the leaves, which:
- mechanically damaged
- are infected with diseases or pests,
- covered with unknown stains, rot and dry.
For hybrid plants, it is necessary to remove the entire upper part from the sixth leaf, leaving only three shoots. For ordinary cucumber varieties, they are formed into one stem, and the rest of the leaves and weaker shoots break off.
Self-pollinating plants contain most of the fruits on the main stem (1/3), so they leave the whip, and side shoots can be removed. The same applies to varieties that are pollinated by bees. Insects need to provide access to flowers, cutting off the excess tops.
Yellowed leaves that are below the fruiting area should be removed, leaving a few at the level of the fruit, and everything that is located above - do not touch.
If the bush in the greenhouse is covered with shoots, the gardeners are advised to cut the growing point, reduce fertilizing with nitrogen and dry the soil. This procedure will send nutrients to the fruit.
How to prune
All manipulations must be carried out correctly, otherwise the cucumbers will die. In any case, trimming is not worth it, as the whips start to get tangled and become thin.
Let's look at what leaves need to be cut and how to do it correctly:
- Pruning is done with sharp sharpened scissors, because after the broken shoots there are long healing wounds, and the injured shoots begin to dry out
- Yellowed leaves break every 10 days,
- Pigeon completely removed.
- When the main stem grows to the wire - it can be wrapped around its base several times and attached with string. The growth point after the 4th leaf is removed, just like the first shoot in the sinus of the first leaf. The next 3 shoots do not break, and evenly distributed over the wire.
- Scourge pinch at an interval of half a meter as it grows, leaving new processes for weaving the bush.
- Shoots that go beyond the line of the row during the fruiting period are pruned.
- The top leaves during harvesting do not touch, otherwise the stem will change its location, which will lead to slow growth and yellowing of cucumbers.
Growing cucumbers in the greenhouse has its own characteristics. The lash can be divided into four zones:
- In the lower part, all ovaries and lateral shoots from the second to the fourth leaf are removed, and the tops are left,
- In the next zone of four nodes, the growing point is removed, 1 fruit and 2 leaves are left,
- At the height of the bush in a meter and a half leave 2 leaves and 2 fruits in each of the three nodes,
- Three leaves and three cucumbers are left in the last upper zone.
Чтобы рост кустов не замедлялся, можно проводить осветляющую обрезку, когда ликвидируются нижняя ботва. При этом нужно оставить по две завязи плодов.
By following simple guidelines for the care of cucumbers, both in the greenhouse and in the open field, you can achieve a better and richer harvest. It is necessary to remember that the extra leaves and stems have a negative effect on the growth of plants and the taste of fruits, so they must be cut off in time. As a result, the plants will be strong and strong, and the cucumbers will be juicy and crispy.
Video “And we have a harvest! It's time to pick cucumbers! ”
The author of the video briefly talks about his method of growing cucumbers, and also shows how to properly remove the leaves and stalks of cucumbers.
Why is it necessary to cut off (cut) the leaves of cucumbers?
Often those gardeners who grow cucumbers specifically in greenhouses are perplexed - why cut the foliage if they have this vegetable and bear fruit so well?
However, experts still advise to regularly conduct a similar procedure. The fact is that when some of the excess foliage is removed from the lash of this vegetable crop, the nutrients are used to grow the fruit, rather than being spent on maintaining the leaves.
How to properly pruning cucumbers in a greenhouse
In order not to destroy the lash of cucumbers, it is necessary to properly engage in trimming the foliage. Otherwise, you can be left without a crop at all.
- It is necessary to remove lateral whips in time, removing exactly the growth point, and not to touch the whip itself. Cutting produce or sharp garden shears, or shears, so as not to damage the whip. The wounds that remain from the broken sheets do not heal for a long time and affect the growth of the fruit.
- If on the bush a lot of shoots, then you should not engage in pruning. It is enough to pinch the growth points and stop feeding cucumbers with nitrogen fertilizers. With watering it is also worth the wait - let the land in the greenhouse become drier. In this case, not the tops, but the fruits will grow.
- Once every 48 hours it is worth removing all the yellowed foliage below those places where the fruits are located. Until the ovary and fruit while leaving a couple of leaves.
- When collecting fruits, the upper branches should be left alone so that their location does not change. Otherwise, the growth of the fruit may slow down or completely stop, and the fruits themselves will begin to turn yellow.
General tips for pruning leaves
Crop is made depending on what varieties have to deal with. Such works are influenced by the fact whether these vegetables are self-pollinated or not.
- Self-pollinating plants usually grow in one stem. It is there that the third part of the whole crop will grow. The rest of the crop is harvested from lateral processes.
- Scourge are divided into several zones. In the lower part of the plant, all flowers and even ovaries are removed. Also, between the 2 and 4 main leaves, the side shoots are removed, but the leaves are not cut.
- In the next zone (in which the next 4 leaves are located) leave one fruit and two leaves. But the points of growth need to pinch.
- The next zone is the main stem about 1.5 meters high. Here on 3 nodes only 2 leaves and 2 cucumbers are left.
- In the last zone (this is the upper part of the shoot), 3 leaves and 3 cucumbers are left.
- When the main stem has grown to the first row of wire, it is usually wrapped around it a couple of times. Then pinch the growth point at the level of 4 leaflets. Then, the escape is attached to the trellis. Twine is best for this - it does not hurt the delicate stalks of cucumbers. The escape from the first leaf is pinched, and the lateral shoots grown from the other three leaves are distributed along the wire so that they grow further.
- As shoots grow, they are usually pinched every 50 cm. And new shoots are left to continue the whip. All shoots extending beyond the row are removed.
Why break off
So why prune cucumber leaves? If you do not perform this process, then the development of the seedling will be very weak, it simply will not have the strength for photosynthesis and nutrition. In addition, the fruiting period will be reduced. Professional gardeners strongly recommend carrying out such a procedure for:
- increasing free space
- disposing of barren flowers
- proper plant formation,
- prevent rot roots.
When to pick off
It is better to do this early in the morning so that the fresh wounds can dry out and be delayed in the evening. Once every five days, get rid of dried, brown leaves on old bushes, because they trap moisture and air, which can cause decay. Periodically pay attention to the direction of the lashes, which always tend upwards.
What are the leaves
In order to get a high yield, you need to leave only healthy leaves, you need to get rid of the rest. Two types of trimming are applied to different grades.
General pruning is carried out for self-pollinating plants, since it is on the main stem that the lateral shoots are formed new, and a third of the future fruits are located. It should be visually divided into four parts:
- Begin the whip - remove the inflorescences located in this zone of the stem to avoid root rot. You can also pick off the yellowed and lying on the ground cucumber leaves, but only to the level of fruiting, and not more than three times a month.
- The second point of growth should be removed, leaving 3-4 pieces. It is slightly taller, at about 4 knots in height.
- In the next zone - at a height of 0.5 m - you need to select 3-4 nodes, leaving a minimum of leaves. The rest is not necessary to touch. Thus, the fruits will become more juicy and will ripen equally from all sides.
- The last part is the top. It is located at a height of 1–1.5 m. On the fourth sheet, the growth point is removed. Antennae should be fixed at the end on a wire or fishing line. Periodically cross them. Thus, it will be more convenient for you to harvest, and the lighting will be even.
Now consider the second method. Weakened or in the disease stage of the plant can be saved lightening pruning. Throughout the bush is to get rid of the side shoots. It is recommended to remove the ovary, leaving up to six nodes. Then all the nutrients will go to recovery.
Pros and cons of the procedure
You can pick off the leaves of cucumbers both at the top and at the bottom, but only those that do not bring use and can harm. Yellowness and spots appear to indicate the onset of various diseases. It should immediately get rid of them for the speedy recovery of all metabolic processes. No need to touch the plant for no reason, because it can damage the scourge and the expected result will not.
Today we found out whether it is possible to pick leaves from cucumbers and, most importantly, why. Thanks to new knowledge and following the rules, cucumbers will fully ripen, will get the right shape, will be useful and tasty.