Indo-duck, musk duck, mute duck is a large breed of ducks, which in nature is common in the territory of South America and Mexico.
She was domesticated by man, it happened a few centuries ago. In those days, the musk duck was kept by the ancient Aztecs. Today she is bred all over the world.
Wild Indo outings have a dark color with a few white feathers. Domestic breeds may have different colors.
- Black Indoorces are completely black in color, the back and wings are green and the rest of the body is purple. The down is dark gray, the beak and the paws are black, and the eyes are brown.
- Indo-tan has a plumage of chocolate-brown color. At the same time, there may be separate white spots on the body, the wings and neck may have a dark, almost black shade.
- The independent color of the nut color differs from the previous variety by the feathering of a lighter shade. It can be white spots and darker feathers on the tips of the wings and on the neck.
- Blue indoutki have a pronounced blue color throughout the body, but the individual feathers stand out for their dark edging. Black beak and paws
- White Indoouts have a plumage of snow-white color, without a shade of yellowness. The beak is pale pink, the paws are yellow. The eyes are gray with blue tint.
- White with a black spot on the head - differ from the previous variety only in the presence of a spot.
A distinctive feature of the appearance of musk duck - fleshy growths on the head, which are also called corals and warts. They are located above the beak and in the eye area.
Because of these outgrowths, some people believe that the tails were made as a result of crossing ducks with turkeys, but this is not true - these two species of birds cannot produce offspring.
Muscovy duck brings from 8 to 14 eggs, which she incubates for 35 days. Ducklings of this breed can have different colors - they are yellow, yellow with black spots, black with yellow spots. Coloring the beak of small Indo-stock - from pink to dark, almost black.
This is a breed of meat orientation, that is, one of the broiler breeds. Homemade indoouts are much larger than wild ones: males reach 6 kg, females 3 kg.
Muscovy ducks are rarely kept in large poultry farms. However, many farmers bred them in their private farmsteads. The advantages of this breed include:
- very valuable dietary meat with a minimum percentage of fat, reminiscent in taste of broiler meat,
- Muscovy ducks are very quiet and clean, so they bring a minimum of inconvenience,
- the females of this breed have a greater tendency to brooding, so they themselves are able to hatch ducks without the help of humans and special incubation equipment,
- Muscovy ducks have good egg production and can produce offspring twice a season.
Of all the other breeds, the mulard are the closest in these qualities to the indoot. These two types of poultry are often confused, but in reality they are different species.
Crossbreed with other breeds
Indo-ducks can be crossed with other breeds. For this use drakes. Mulard is a hybrid breed, which is obtained by crossing male indouka with female Peking white duck, Rouen duck, orgpington breed duck and white aly.
Mulardy far superior to indoutok in many qualities - they grow faster, reach puberty earlier, are less demanding to heat and have a large mass.
However, in some moments, this breed is inferior to the indoot. Moulard meat is considered less valuable because of the greater percentage of fat. Also they are more noisy and unclean, and the instinct of incubating them is less developed.
Thus, the mulard in their combination of qualities is an intermediate option, a kind of middle ground between the indout and ordinary domestic ducks, descended from mallards.
Indo-ducks are often confused with representatives of other breeds. But in fact, to distinguish them is not a big deal.
The main difference between musk duck and mulard is presence of fleshy growths on the head. The latter has a growth on its beak, resembling a growth on the beak of a musk duck, but it is much smaller in size. Tails of both breeds are long.
From the Peking Musk Duck can also be distinguished by presence of growths over the beak and around the eyes.
In addition, the difference in the orientation of the body is well noticeable - for the indoutok it is located horizontally, parallel to the ground, while the body of the Peking duck is raised at an angle of about 30 degrees.
In addition, the Indo-ducks have longer wings and a tail.
Crossing with birds of other species
Contrary to popular belief Ducks can not be crossed with birds of other species. Just as some consider the Indutuka a mixture of duck and turkey because of fleshy growths located on the head, others think that the mulardy are obtained by crossing it with a goose. But it is not.
Ducks and geese can not give offspring. Even if the samochka breaks an egg, it will be unfertilized.
In the markets, you can sometimes find scammers offering chicks with assurances that they are a hybrid breed that will grow into a duck weighing more than 6 kilograms, but you should not believe them.
Muscovy duck is a breed that is well suited for keeping in conditions of a small farmstead. It is distinguished by its cleanliness and is kept very quiet, therefore creates a minimum of inconvenience. Its meat is much less fatty than that of ordinary ducks, which are descended from mallards. But you need to be prepared for the fact that it is gaining weight more slowly and does not reach the size that is characteristic of ducks of other breeds.