The authors of a hybrid variety of cucumbers "Boy with a finger F1" were Russian breeders of the seed company "Manul" (Mytishchi, Moscow region). In 2000, the hybrid was introduced into the State Register of the Russian Federation as approved for cultivation in all regions in greenhouses (greenhouses, greenhouses, tunnels, under film shelters) on horticultural gardens, household plots and small farms in the spring-summer turnover.
Hybrid is considered professional, intended for commodity production. When it was bred, varieties of northern genotypes were used, which provided the “Boy with a Toe F1” cucumber with a sufficiently high resistance to cold and shade tolerance. Due to its adaptability, this hybrid shows excellent results in the cultivation and in the open ground of the middle zone, the southern regions of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus. It is also recommended as indoor culture, capable of active fruiting on the windowsill or on the balcony.
To evaluate the benefits of cucumbers in this class, we present its main characteristics:
Superearly (begins to bear fruit after 37-41 days after germination) gherkin "Boy with a finger F1" refers to the category of parthenocarpic. He does not require insect pollination to pour fruit. Ovaries grow without fertilization, and seeds do not ripen in them. Due to this, greenhouses have a very attractive appearance, almost the same size and color.
The plant is indeterminate (unlimited in growth), vigorous and medium-sized. The leaves are small, slightly wrinkled, slightly wavy at the edges. The long period of active fruiting is explained by the fact that the bushes differ:
- intensive branching with a tendency to self-regulation,
- female type of flowering (without barren flowers),
- puchevom laying of ovaries - from 2-3 to 5-6 in the node.
The number of ovaries largely depends on the lighting conditions: the higher it is, the more abundant cucumber bouquets in the leaf axils.
The tendency to self-regulation of branching in this hybrid is manifested in the fact that the massive filling of green leaves on the main stem inhibits the formation and growth of lateral shoots. After the end of the main fruiting wave on the central stem, the lateral ones begin to develop intensively and produce a new crop. Hybrids with active branching, not related to the vegetative type, such as "Boy with a finger F1" and a number of others, developed by the agricultural firm "Manul" ("Powerful force F1", "Buyan F1", "Marina Grove F1", "Chistye Prudy F1 "And others), do not require regular formation with the obligatory removal or pinching of all lateral shoots.
Zelentsy are short (6-10 cm long), weighing on average 50-65 g, oval-shaped without a neck, bright green color, with small faint light stripes. The surface is covered with rare small tubercles and frequent (not thorny) white pubescence. The purpose of Zelentsov is universal, the taste is excellent, the bitterness is absent at the genetic level. Gherkins "Boy with a finger F1" have high commercial quality, the yield per 1 m 2 is about 10-13 kg.
An important condition for mass and long-term return of the crop is considered the need for the daily collection of greenberries. Although they do not tend to overgrow and turn yellow, but lingering on the whips, they inhibit the formation and pouring of new ovaries.
Like all heterotic hybrids, “Little Boy F1” displays all its improved characteristics only in the first generation, therefore it is not suitable for collecting seed material. Seeds must be purchased from manufacturers who are engaged in the author's selection and monitor the quality of products. Manul, for example, conducts a thorough selection, ground control, heat treatment, production and environmental tests of its professional cucumber hybrids, which ensures that their sowing and varietal indicators comply with the requirements of ISTA (International Association for Seed Quality Control).
Laboratory testing of seeds of this variety from agrofirma "Your farm" can be viewed in the following video:
Characteristics of the species
Reviews among garden-lovers about parthenocarpic varieties are often opposite and ambiguous. The main disadvantage of plants that do not need to be pollinated is the lack of taste of the fruits in canned form. But the mass of advantages reduces it to a minimum.
Ripening occurs on the 40th day after the sprout. The scourge of cucumber bushes are of medium size. The number of ovaries can vary from 3 to 7 pieces. The length of small-tuberous and oval fruits reaches 10 cm, and the mass reaches 70 g. The taste is fragrant and has no bitterness, which sometimes occurs when grown in other species in open areas and with a lack of moisture.
Description of the plant characterizes it as a high-yielding hybrid with a long period of vegetative development. An important property of any cultivated vegetable variety is resistance to various diseases.
- powdery fungi,
- overgrown mycelium of peronosporosis,
- brown leaves
- tobacco mosaic virus.
Cucumbers Boy-toe f1 can tolerate long-term transportation. Green color of cucumber fruits complement the light stripes with white pubescence. Fruiting hybrid up to 11 kg per 1 m² area. Successfully resist decay in the absence of a source of infection.
When growing cucumber varieties Boy-finger, 2 types of cultivation are applied: seedless and seedling. It is determined by climatic and agrotechnical conditions.
For the first option, the use of seeds is typical, regardless of their moisture level. Even dry grains can be planted. They are laid on open beds throughout May, when the ground is already warm and the probability of night or morning frosts is minimal.
- seeds should be the same size and full-fledged,
- in the presence of a trellis, the landing method should be carried out in a nested manner,
- maintain a distance between the holes of at least 25 cm,
- spacing between rows to keep within 40 cm,
- plant seeds to a depth of at least 2 cm.
Immediately after the formation of the first and second true leaflets, a pick is performed. The optimal distance between the plants after thinning is 25 cm. The completion of the picking should be fertilizing with organic fertilizer in the form of liquid manure or diluted chicken manure in a ratio of 1:10.
For the seedling method of growing finger cucumbers, such a hole arrangement is applied so that no more than 4 bushes are located per m² area.
Excessively dense planting leads to a noticeable decrease in yield and a reduction in the fruiting period.
The seedling method gives a guaranteed increase in the yield of cucumbers. Fingerling finger f1, especially in the northern regions. But for this it is desirable to meet certain conditions:
- the transplanting period of seedlings should not exceed 4 weeks,
- sowing is done in plastic cups with a light primer,
- timely feeding, irrigation and organization of optimal illumination are necessary.
Before transferring the plants to the soil that is not protected from frost, hardening of the seedlings of the un Pollinated variety is performed.
Hybrid Care Guidelines
Little Boy Cucumbers do not require special conditions and time-consuming procedures, but only meeting the standards of agricultural technology:
- watering only with warm water as the ground dries,
- loosening in the upper layer after rains or artificial irrigation,
- performing pinching after the appearance of 5 of this sheet to stimulate lateral shoots,
- soil mulching with peat, straw or pereperemny manure.
Variety of cucumbers. Tom Thumb has medium length whips. Therefore, to avoid the growth of fruits on the ground, the stems are tied to a high transverse trellis. Sulfur powder is used to combat spider mites. Picking cucumbers held every other day. The plant belongs to the hybrid type of the first generation.
In the description on the bag with seeds, which gives the manufacturer, the words "parthenocarpic" and the "F1" icon are found. They represent the features of this particular plant.
Cucumber Boy with a finger - parthenocarpic gherkin
The F1 symbol means that you are buying not just a variety, but an improved hybrid. Unlike conventional breeding varieties, where the process consists in selecting the best of the best for many years, hybrids are obtained by crossing two different varieties with the desired characteristics. This painstaking and difficult work is carried out on special equipment with the involvement of the best experts in the field, but the result justifies itself: the hybrids show a whole set of positive qualities, but, unfortunately, only in the first generation. Therefore, the seeds from them to collect impractical.
Many F1 hybrids are distinguished by yield and early ripeness
In the abbreviation F1, the letter F means "Filli", that is, "children", "offspring", and the number 1 means that we are dealing with the best, the first generation from crossing.
Cucumber Boy with a finger is not only a heterotic hybrid, but also parthenocarpic, that is, having self-fertility. Partenocarpy - the property of the plant to form the ovary without pollination. This is the result of a long and difficult work of breeders, which included the improvement of qualities in several ways. Therefore, they are not cheap. But even in comparison with unparticulate hybrids, self-bearing ones look much more advantageous.
Virtues of the variety
The positive qualities of the variety include:
- excellent yield. On average, bushes are able to produce up to 14 kg of fruits from 1 m 2, but there have been cases when with careful care and abundant watering, the yield increased by almost a third,
- early ripeness The first fruits can be collected 39 days after the first shoots,
- prolonged fruiting - more than 2 months,
- the taste of cucumbers, contrary to the conventional wisdom that parthenocarpics are inferior in this indicator to bee-pollinated varieties, professional tasters rate it as “excellent”. These cucumbers are excellent both in fresh and marinated. Their skin is not hard, but it does not soften when canning, which allows you to maintain a pleasant crunchy glass. In addition, the fruits are not prone to accumulating bitterness,
- appearance. Since this is a gherkin type of cucumber, then their size is small, up to 10 cm maximum, and if they “pelezhat” on the garden, then they will start growing more in width than in length. Weight is about 50–65 g. The Gherkins are very cute looking: green, with barely noticeable white stripes, have rare tubercles and white pubescence,
- ability to tolerate short periods of drought. If you do not have the opportunity to come to the dacha and pour cucumbers, they will not die, but still it is better to provide them with at least the simplest drip irrigation device from a plastic bottle,
- immunity to ailments. The hybrid is not afraid of diseases such as cucumber mosaic, cladosporia and powdery mildew. But from downy mildew it is worth taking care of it, it is sensitive to it,
- versatility of the growing place: open ground, greenhouse, balcony and window sill. Of course, the yield in different places will be different, but it is quite possible to pamper yourself and surprise guests with room-grown green stuff,
- Does not need frequent pinching of lashes. One of the valuable properties of parthenocarpic varieties is growth self-regulation. The little boy with the finger also does not need pinching the lashes over the third or fourth ovary, they limit the lashes only by the length of growth, if they have too “gone” abroad of the plot allotted to them or have significantly outgrown the trellis.
Cucumber hybrid The little boy with a finger has an attractive appearance and excellent taste
All the positive characteristics of the hybrid fully manifest themselves in compliance with basic agricultural practices.
Presowing seed preparation
Activities before sowing:
- Warming up for a month near the battery at a temperature of about 28-30 o C increases the rate of germination, affects the yield and resistance to diseases. On warming lay dry seeds.
- Germination. It is applied only to seeds that are not coated. They lay seeds for germination 3-4 days before sowing in the ground. They are not immersed in water, and laid out on a damp gauze or cloth, covering the same material and on top. To prevent water from evaporating, the container is covered with a plastic bag or lid. The germination of seeds involves their swelling and “pecking”. Long shoots are not good for the seeds, they break off when sown and give a weakened plant.
Cucumber seeds can be germinated on cotton pads, but not on cotton: they will get entangled in it and there will be a risk of breaking off the sprouts
What you should not do with the seeds before sowing:
- Check for germination. From seeds purchased in specialized stores, germination is 95-100%.
- Check the seeds for full weight in saline. Varietal hybrids are of high quality and should not have "dummies".
- Decontaminate. This has already been done by the manufacturer. But to fight with pathogenic bacteria and fungi in the soil will not be superfluous, for this it is worth shedding the grooves or holes with a bright pink solution of potassium permanganate before planting.
- Germinate seeds, coated. If you bought inlaid or granulated seeds, do not break their shell, sow dry. But pay special attention to watering the soil in which they will be sown. It must always be wet, otherwise the seeds will not "wake up."
Sowing and care of plants in the open field
Cucumbers in open ground are sown in three ways: in a normal or warm bed, rows and holes:
- when dividing the beds, make a distance of 60–70 cm between them. On each bed, make two furrows at a distance of 30 cm, where seeds are sown at a distance of 25–35 cm,
A warm bed can be made on straw, deciduous foliage or compost.
- sowing in rows is carried out in well-watered single furrows with a 70 cm width between rows,
- The wells are arranged according to a 50 x 50 cm scheme, in each add rotten manure, on which 2–3 seeds are placed.
For favorable growth and development of plants follow the simple rules:
- Sow the seeds should be in the heated soil, the night temperature should be at least 15 o C, day - about 20 o C.
- With any method of sowing should be aware of good soil moisture.
- You need to fill up the seeds with a layer of earth no more than 2 cm, and it is loose, shallow, you can even have a thin layer of sand.
- It will not be superfluous to make 2–3 tsp. complex fertilizer on 1 m furrow.
- After sowing the seeds need to provide high humidity (especially inlaid) and protection from return frost. For this, crops are covered with foil, but temporary shelters can be made from plastic bottles. You can shoot them when the threat of frost is over.
- When the cucumbers are fully sprouting, weeding and loosening between the rows and watering are carried out. Watering plants is better in the early morning hours or in the evening, with warm settled water. Irrigation can be combined with ash top dressings (1 tbsp per bucket of water) or other fertilizers, for example, a mixture of superphosphate and potassium magnesia (30 g per pail of water). 250 g of this solution for one plant will be enough.
- After watering, loose, fertilized soil is poured to the plant stems to form additional roots.
- The soil around the plants can be mulched straw, sawdust, hay, compost. This prevents overdrying of the earth, slows the growth of weeds, does not allow the fruit to come into contact with the ground, which reduces pollution and morbidity.
Mulching brings great benefits to cucumbers, and also saves gardeners from too much weeding and watering.
Thinning crops do not need. Seeds are quite expensive, their germination is high. Therefore, it is better to locate the plants at once in such a way as not to remove the extra.
Since this hybrid does not have immunity against powdery mildew, it should be protected from illness - means Kuproksat, Ridomil, Oksikh will do.
The solution of whey (2 l per bucket of water) with the addition of 1 tsp will help. copper sulphate.
Features of growing in greenhouses and apartments
Planting in greenhouses is not much different from planting in open ground, but for greenhouses, seedlings are often used in the stage of 3-4 basic leaves to speed up the production of fresh produce. However, the following points should be considered:
- obligatory soil disinfection is required (with a solution of manganese in spring, copper sulfate - in the fall),
- remove plant residues after the end of the period of growth and harvesting of fruits, pathogens can overwinter in uncleared stalks and leaves,
- no more than 3 plants should be located on 1 m 2,
- the sprouted seedlings are laid slightly on one side and covered with earth almost to the semicolon knee,
- need watering 3-4 liters under the plant every other day, the water temperature is at least 24 o C,
- the humidity in the greenhouse should be about 80%,
- не забывайте о своевременном формировании растений и расположите их на шпалерах таким образом, чтобы всем хватало света.
Мальчик с пальчик превосходно чувствует себя под плёночными укрытиями и в теплицах
При выращивании в комнате на подоконнике или на балконе стоит помнить о некоторых нюансах:
- Загущение посадок приведёт к отсутствию урожая или даже к гибели растения. На один стебель нужно не менее 5 л плодородной лёгкой почвы. Best of all is peat-mixed peat or a soil mixture purchased from a specialized store.
- If the cucumbers began to be tied up early, in February-March, and the weather is overcast, it is necessary to conduct additional lighting with fluorescent lamps so that the total duration of the light period is at least 12 hours.
- In any method of growing fruits should be collected regularly, at least once every 3 days, to prevent their growth. The collection is carried out carefully, without turning and not raising the whip.
Hybrid Boy with a finger can be grown on the windowsill
Reviews of a hybrid boy with a finger
Last year, she planted a little boy with a finger, got a lot of cucumbers, very tasty, completely without bitterness, so this year she bought the seeds of this variety again.
I am the first cucumbers soaked around April 5, they begin to bear fruit in the last days of May. Last year, the boy with the finger very pleased. Before the first street cucumbers gobbled up for a sweet soul.
But cucumbers Little boy with a finger (planted unknowingly) - terrible!
Cucumbers have excellent taste and crispy qualities, they are also superearly. But there is one condition, when planting you need to use agrofabric, or cover them with plastic bottles at night. They are too afraid of spring cold nights!
Get a rich harvest of delicious, crunchy, aromatic cucumbers - the dream of any gardener. Hybrid Boy with a finger will be a real help in achieving this. Harvest can be obtained not only in summer in the open field, but also in the spring in the greenhouse, and even in winter on the balcony of the apartment.
cucumber "little boy with a finger F1" growing experience
This great variety has greatly pleased me last season. The harvest from 8 roots was almost 60 kilograms of cucumbers, which is more than enough for our family.
And this is despite the problems with irrigation (the water had to be brought to the site almost until mid-June) and hot weather during the first two months (in July, 35 degrees in the afternoon was almost constant, with no rains).