Before laying eggs in an incubator, it is very important to know whether they are fertilized and how the embryo develops. To control this process will help a special device - an ovoscope. It’s easy to make it with your own hands, you just need to make a little effort. There are several ways to make such a device. In any case, you will spend only a few minutes to manufacture, so choose the most suitable option.
What is an ovoscope and what is its principle of operation?
This device is used in cooking to determine the freshness of the product, but more often in farming to establish fertility. That is, using this device you can check the quality of eggs.
The principle of operation of the ovoskop is quite simple. It is based on the sounding of an egg with an ordinary lamp. Therefore, you can easily make an ovoskop with your own hands in 5 minutes. Eggs are laid in small cavities on the body. And inside the device is just the lamp.
Usually ready-made ovoskopov work from the network and are designed for x-raying about a dozen eggs. Although there are larger specimens, allowing to determine the quality of more than twenty pieces. Also, there are miniature devices that can enlighten just one egg at a time. Depending on the model, the device will differ significantly in weight and dimensions. At home, it is quite possible to make both of them.
The first step is to figure out what kind of lamp is suitable before doing an ovoskop to check the eggs with your own hands.
Halogen light sources are often installed. But such devices should be used with caution, as they heat up very quickly. Continuous operating time ovoskop should be no more than five minutes. If you need to check another batch of eggs, the device is turned off until it is completely cooled.
In more modern devices are LED lamps. They have several advantages over halogen. The device can be continuously used for a longer time. It also eliminates the heating of eggs when they are x-rayed, so their properties remain unchanged.
That is, if you want to do an ovoskop with your own hands, then it is better to take lamps of small power. And remember that the egg does not need to overheat, otherwise just damage the embryo.
The simplest ovoskop
To make the most elementary ovoscope, you will need materials that you most likely already have. This is a light bulb, a sheet of cardboard and scissors:
1. The contents of the egg will be best seen in the lumen, if you use a dark background as a limiter. Therefore, the cardboard is recommended to take black. In the center of the leaf scissors cut oval, which in size will be slightly smaller than the egg.
2. Go to the light source (chandelier, wall lamp or desk lamp). Stand at a distance of about thirty centimeters from it.
3. Hold the prepared sheet of cardboard as a partition, and with your other hand hold the egg to the hole.
The simplest ovoskop (with his own hands making it easy) is ready. Now it can be used for its intended purpose.
For this method of making an ovoscope, you will need a sheet of paper, glue or tape, scissors, and a light source (for example, a desk lamp or a flashlight).
1. Roll a piece of paper into a straw so that one end is about six millimeters smaller than the average egg. The other edge in diameter must correspond to the light part of the lamp. That is, one side of the bag will be applied to the lamp, and an egg should be applied to the other edge.
2. Secure the ends of the tube with tape or glue so that they do not unwind.
3. For more convenient use, cut the cakes so that it is about nine centimeters long.
4. Ovoskop for eggs (easy to make it yourself) is ready! Optionally, you can connect the flashlight and the corresponding tip of the tube with scotch tape.
What to make a more convenient option?
If you want to grow chickens regularly in your home incubator, you will use the ovoscope almost constantly. Then it makes sense to make a more convenient and reliable device for x-raying eggs. You can also make it from scrap materials that are found at home.
So what will you need? The main components of a self-made ovoskop are a powerless bulb up to one hundred watts, an electrical cord (if desired with a switch) and a body made of fire-resistant material. Even a girl can make an ovoskop with such hands from such a minimal set.
1. First, decide what you will make the basis of. For example, it can be a can or a wooden box. The best size is approximately thirty centimeters. But you can make the foundation larger or smaller depending on your needs. The main thing is to fit a light bulb.
2. At the bottom of the box, cut a small hole.
3. Insert the bulb holder into it so that the cord with the plug comes out. Secure with tape or glue if necessary. The light bulb should not fall.
4. In the lid of the box, make an oval hole. It should be less than an egg about half a centimeter, otherwise it will fall down.
5. Put the finished device on the table and turn it on. If everything is done correctly, the light will come on.
This is a pretty good way to make a reliable donoscope with your own hands in 5 minutes.
Tips for using Ovoskop
The ovoskop allows to find not only external, but also internal defects. However, it should be borne in mind that the tested eggs must be sufficiently clean. This will facilitate the identification of damage.
Depending on the incubation time, you can see different contents with the ovoscope. In the early stages it will be the yolk and the air chamber, after - the blood vessels, and at the very end - the already formed chick. If they are damaged, then the device will show it when scanning.
The air chamber looks like a dark round spot and has a fixed position, so when turning the egg it should not move. The yolk can move, but should not touch the walls of the shell. Cracks on the egg during translucency look like dark stripes or spots.
Now you know how to do a hands-on handstock in just a few minutes. It is very easy and simple, and most importantly, it helps to save the budget.
Manufacturing of an ovoskop
How to make an ovoskop? For self-manufacturing, you can use items that are in each house: from a tin can to a flashlight. There are a lot of variants of self-made devices, we will consider how to build the best and easiest to make an aeroscope with your own hands.
Prepare in advance:
- Cardboard box from under prings or something similar of the same diameter.
- Energy saving lamp (voltage not exceeding 20W). Incandescent bulbs are prohibited to use, they become very hot during operation, thereby harming the egg and melting the body of the structure.
- Cut the wire with a switch and plug.
- Plastic jar out of sour cream. Important! The diameter of this jar should be a few millimeters smaller than a carton from chips to fit the first one into the second.
Instructions for the manufacture of the device:
- Take a plastic jar and cut it to the top of a millimeter by 2 around the perimeter.
- Turn the jar upside down, attach the cartridge, circle it with a marker and make a hole using scissors.
- Insert the bottom of the cartridge into the cut hole.
- Take a jar of chips, in its lower part (not in the bottom, but a few millimeters above) with an awl pierce one more small hole for the wire with your skillful hands.
- Put the wire into the jar through the hole made by the awl, so that it goes through the whole package of chips, then goes into a jar of sour cream and connects to the contacts on the cartridge.
- Twist the cartridge.
- After screwing in the light bulb, insert a jar of sour cream into the box of chips so that the light looks up.
- With the help of foil or other scrap materials, add opacity to the lid of the chips.
- Take a marker, draw on the lid an oval in shape resembling an egg, but slightly smaller in size. Cut the corresponding hole.
- Put the lid on the box of chips.
Homemade device ovoskop ready, you can plug the cord into the outlet and check whether the device correctly determines the state of the egg. How to use the overscope?
To do this, place it over the hole in the lid and inspect the embryo for several minutes from all sides. Egg tester works great.
Cost of a factory ovoskop
Of course, compared with the factory ones, for example, such as an ovoscope, the device made has simpler characteristics and you can only check one egg at a time, not a dozen, but the home-made device performs 100%. In addition, the cost of our device is only a few hundred rubles to check the incubation of domestic eggs, while the factory store costs about 2,000 - 3,000 rubles, but the principle of operation and the view do not affect the final result.
If you do not want to make the device yourself for checking the embryo during incubation, but you do not need an ovoscope for 10 or more eggs, pay attention to the model ОВ1-60-Д (Belarusian manufacturer). This device costs several times less than the previous one, it has only one technical mode of operation and you can test at most one egg on it at a time. But the price absolutely does not affect the quality of the check.
Buy a desktop ovoskop or do it at home - this is half the battle, it is important to understand the principle of its work and to know the instructions for use and on what day to inspect the embryo.
How to use the device
Daily disturbing fertilized embryos with translucency is undesirable; by doing so, you can destroy the embryo. The best option is to examine the eggs on the lumen 2 times a week, in the early stages of incubation it is possible less than one day. Before the procedure, you must wash your hands and wear sterile latex gloves, so as not to put on the egg deadly bacteria and microorganisms and not to hurt incubation.
Description of Ovoskop
The literal translation of the word "ovoskop" in Latin means "examine the egg." This device allows you to enlighten the egg with a powerful lamp to identify inside the embryo, and suitability for laying in the incubator. With it, it is very convenient to establish hidden defects that affect the development of the embryo. These include:
- Shell heterogeneity,
- Air chamber offset,
- The reddish color of the interior,
- Free movement of the yolk,
- The immobility of the yolk,
- Blood clots
- Presence of foreign blotches.
All of overscopes consist of a housing, a lamp, a tray, a switch. Self-made or purchased, they work on a single principle: the egg is placed in the holder, the light is turned on.
The lamp is located below. In the wall of the housing there is a hole for eggs. Plus horizontal models: less heating of the shell. Cons: fire hazard, the ability to simultaneously check only one egg.
The form resembles a hammer. Manual ovoskop, shines through one egg. Powered by batteries or battery. The models use LED lamps that do not overheat the shell. Plus: there is no need to get an egg out of the tray.
How to use an ovoscope
The device is equally suitable for all types of eggs. The main requirement - the shell must be dry, clean, without visible cracks, seals and chips. The first time the inspection is carried out before laying to identify unfertilized or defective eggs. The second viewing do:
- For chicken eggs - after 7 days,
- For turkey eggs and ducks - after 9 days,
- For geese eggs - in 10 days.
In embryos, by this time, the circulatory system is already forming and a heartbeat is observed. The second scanning is necessary to identify frozen nuclei. The third time checked with an ovoscope for 12-14 days.
More frequent scans can lead to pathologies in the development and death of embryos.
Ovoskop do it yourself
You can make the device in several ways, but regardless of the option - the home device can work with only one egg. This disadvantage is compensated by compactness and simplicity, as well as by the fact that the device can be stored even in a disassembled state.
From the can
This model is the easiest to make, and what is important - no special skills or materials are required. It is necessary to take an empty and clean metal tin can with a shiny inner surface and an incandescent lamp with a capacity of up to 100 watts. At the bottom of the cut hole for the cap, and the light bulb is placed inside. In the lid the jars are cut to the size of the egg. The finished device is installed on any flat surface.
More robust and durable variation of the homemade ovoskop. It is made of sheet metal, 0.5 mm thick. The metal is given a cylindrical shape, with a height of 30 cm and a cross section of 13 cm. The edges are joined with rivets. Next, take a sheet of plywood 1 cm thick, and cut out a circle with a diameter of 13 cm. A hole is drilled in the center, which is necessary to fix the cartridge with the lamp. Plywood base is inserted into the cylinder. At the height of the bulb, a window is cut in the wall, about 6 * 6 cm in size. A square shape is cut out of the remaining tin for this window, and from pieces of plywood - frames of different sizes for eggs.
From the can of chips
To make an ovoscope, you will need:
- A plastic cup or a small can of sour cream,
- Pot of chips,
- The bulb is energy saving,
- Electrical wire,
The top of the plastic can is cut by 1.5 mm. In the bottom of the hole is cut, equal to the diameter of the cartridge. With the help of an awl or thin nail, a small hole is made in the lower part of the main can. An electrical wire is put inside. The light bulb is screwed into the holder, and everything is attached to the wire. The resulting lamp is inserted into the container from under the chips. Next, a homemade ovoskop is placed on a flat surface, and the lid from the can on both sides is sealed with foil. A small hole is carved in it, on which an egg is laid for radiography. Detailed photos of the assembly can be found on various thematic forums.
For manufacturing you will need a cartridge from a color laser printer, LEDs and a selenium drum. 9-10 cm are sawed off from the cartridge, LEDs are inserted inside, which are connected to the power supply unit of 10-12 V. You can use either a strip of LEDs or one of 10 watts. This model is most often used for scanning quail eggs. Pros: the shell does not heat up.
Why do we need construction
Ovoskop is a device designed to trace eggs during incubation. The design is not considered difficult. In the household, it is easily constructed with their own hands. The main thing is the flow of bright light and the place for insertion of the studied material.
On the device eggs are checked several times:
- before laying,
- in the initial and average terms of incubation,
- at the end of the action.
On translucency before incubation, defects are visible, due to which the material is unsuitable for the production of chickens.
Attention! Identification of these shortcomings will not allow the incubator to be loaded with low-quality material, which will provide a large percentage of brood.
View during incubation
Once laid in the incubator, the eggs continue to be scanned, using the ovoscope, at regular intervals.
The first inspection is in a week. Identifies unfertilized material. If everything is in order, the ovoscope will show the mesh of blood vessels and a slightly noticeable movement of the embryo. When fertilization did not occur, the yolk is still visible instead of the vessels. Such a unit should be removed from the incubator.
On the 11th day they look through the film (allantois) surrounding the contents of the egg. Normally, it closes at the sharp end.
On days 17–18, frozen embryos are detected through the ovoscope. If the lamp shows that there is practically no lumen at the pointed end, the chick develops normally and prepares to hatch. The appearance of one large or several small bright spots indicate the death of the embryo.
How to quickly build a device
Buy ovoskop manufactured in production, is not always possible. In the household, the device can be quickly, literally in 5 minutes, built with your own hands. To make the simplest scope, you will need:
Work does not require any specific skills. Everything is quite simple. To get at the exit elementary ovoskop do the following:
- In the center of the sheet of cardboard cut out an oval hole. It should be a little smaller in size than an egg.
- Approach to a usual house light source, for example, a desk lamp, a sconce.
- Hold the cardboard at a distance of about 30 cm from the lamp.
- Apply the object of study to the hole.
- It remains only to carefully consider the opened picture.
Attention! The principle of operation of any ovoskop is to see through the lamp fixed in special cavities of eggs.
Простейший овоскоп можно быстро сконструировать в несколько иной вариации. It is also easy to make, as the previous version. In order to make the device, you need to take:
- thick paper sheet
- glue (scotch tape will do),
- lamp or flashlight.
The paper is folded so that the diameter of the hole formed on one side is 6 mm smaller than the average egg. The other edge corresponds to the lamp. The length of the elementary catheter should be about 9 cm.
The ends are firmly fixed with glue or tape. One edge is put on the light source, the object is placed on the other and carefully viewed.
Similar ovoskop construct for several units. At the same time use a cardboard box in which from above make holes which are suitable on diameter. An electric lamp is placed inside.
More robust design
That owner, who decided to constantly engage in breeding chickens, will need a more reliable ovoskop. For the construction will require:
- light bulb (weak, up to 100 W),
- cord with switch (last part optional),
- a small container of fire-resistant material, suitable in shape and size for the body of the device.
For the latter, a tin can from under the oil paint is perfect.
Assemble the structure according to the following scheme:
- The cartridge is attached to the bottom of the case (with tape, glue or other means). Screw the light bulb.
- A circular hole is cut out on the lid, a few mm smaller than the diameter of the average egg.
- Ready ovoskop set on the table, include the cord in the outlet and get to work.
Ovoskop is a necessary device in the household that any owner can build with his own hands. If done correctly, the design will work just as well as done in production.
And how do you control the quality of eggs for hatching?
How does an ovoscope work?
The device of the ovoskop is very simple: a light source and a darkened chamber with an opening for an egg. The light source is an ordinary LED lamp. It is mounted in a hermetic shaded body on the one hand, and on the other a hole is made that is equal in size to an egg. The body and the hole should be such that if you put an egg in the hole and turn on the lamp, no light will be visible from anywhere. In principle, if the light makes its way out of any gap, then you can view the egg, but this will adversely affect the viewer's eye.
Ovoscope can be calculated on one egg and on several. Of course, that ovoskop several eggs has a large body and several holes. Farms usually use large stock tips to reach the maximum number of eggs at a time. The ovoscope can be vertical when the egg lies on top and the light source is below, and horizontal, similar to a flashlight. Large overshoes are only horizontal. If you wish, you can make an ovoskop with your own hands, there is nothing complicated about it.
Purpose and types of device
Ovoskop used with the following goals:
- in farms to check the state of the embryo,
- in cooking to determine the freshness of eggs and their suitability for use,
- in trade to determine the quality and subsequent sale.
Ovoskopov are miniature, designed for x-raying at one time one egg, and more solid - for a dozen or more. They differ in size and weight.
Ovoskop design There are three types:
- Hammer. Got its name because of the appearance resembling a hammer. Powered by mains or battery. It should be brought to the object and enlighten it. The light source must be sufficiently powerful, while not heating the shell, so you should prefer the LED lamp. Such a device is convenient because when working with it you do not need to remove the egg from the tray.
Horizontal. The stream of light is directed upwards from the source located below. The hole is in the side wall. The shell does not overheat, but the egg must be removed, you can shine through one by one.
From the box
A cardboard box is a very good piece for an ovoscope. It is convenient because with a suitable size you can make several holes for simultaneous x-raying.
To make it, you will need a cardboard shoe box, a piece of foil, a cartridge with a cord, an energy-saving light bulb (not heated), a knife or scissors. Procedure for the manufacture of the device:
- In the lid of the box, make an oval hole for the egg, one or more, of such a size that it does not fall inward.
- Provide a smaller side wall of the box with a slot into which the wire will pass.
- Cover the bottom of the box with foil for light reflection.
- Insert the cartridge with a light bulb in the box so that the light bulb is located in the middle of the box, place the wire in the slot made for it.
- Cover the structure with a lid, turn on the light bulb, put an egg on the hole.
From tin sheet
Ovoskop easy to build, if you have a half-mm sheet of tin, 10-mm plywood, a cartridge with a cord, a light bulb. For this need to:
- Make a cylinder with a height of 300 millimeters and a diameter of 130 mm. Fix the edges with welding, “lock” or rivet.
- Cut a plywood circle corresponding to the diameter of the manufactured cylinder.
- Fasten a cartridge with a wire on it, screw in a light bulb.
- At the level of the bulb in the side wall, cut a square with a side of 60 millimeters.
- To produce another tube of tin, square in cross section, with a side of 60 millimeters, a height of 160 millimeters, fasten its edges.
- Insert the square tube into the hole made in front of the bulb, fix it.
- Cut out a square with a side of 60 millimeters from the remnants of plywood, make a hole in it to match the size of the egg. Such squares-frames may be several for eggs of different sizes. Insert the resulting frame into the square side tube.
- Turn on the device, bring the egg to the frame.
Tips and recommendations for using the device
With the help of an ovoskop it is possible to consider both external and internal defects and defects. But in working with the ovoskop should be considered:
- The shell must be clean so that the examination process is not hampered and the result is truthful.
- The cracked ovoscope shows how dark spots and stripes are, the air chamber should be static, and the yolk can move, but not touch the walls from the inside.
- It is advisable to avoid using halogen bulbs because of their ability to heat. Overheating of the shell is not allowed. It can lead to undesirable consequences. If it was not possible to pick up another source of light, the halogen lamp should be used for no more than five minutes, after which it should be turned off and allowed to cool completely.
- The light bulb is recommended to use a power of at least 100 watts.
- The result will be more effective if you use additional reflective material.
How to enlighten an egg without an ovoscope
If you need to enlighten the egg, but there is no ovoscope or something happens to it, you can completely do without it. True, this method is not well suited for use in large enterprises, but it is convenient if there are doubts about the quality.
In the sheet black cardboard you need to cut an oval slightly smaller than the size of an egg. Approximate this cardboard to any burning light at a distance of 30 centimeters and, using it as a partition, bring the object to be examined to the opening.
Ovoskop is a useful thing that is needed from time to time in any household and which is easy to build with your own hands in five minutes. Or spend a little more time and make a more stationary device if you need it all the time.