Exotic fragile beauty, countless aromas, colors, shapes and types - this is about an orchid. The passion for orchids is a very pleasant hobby, a real “hobby of kings”.
Incidentally, this name appeared long ago, when it was incredibly difficult and expensive to get orchid saplings. Therefore, only kings could really afford such a pleasure.
In this article we will tell you what the difference between the Miltonia orchid and other orchids is and give useful tips on caring for this beauty.
Miltonia is an epiphytic orchid of the sympodial type, that is, it has pseudobulbs (oval) about 8 cm long and 5 cm wide, as well as aerial roots, due to which it extracts the necessary for itself life substances from the environment,
The leaves grow to 40 cm in length, their color is light green or with a grayish tinge. Peduncles develop in the leaf axils, which are then covered with beautiful velvety flowers (10-12 cm in diameter).
Predominant colors coloring colors:
The shape of the flowers resembles the well-known garden violets PansiesThat is why sometimes Milton is called “Pansy” orchid. Its aroma is so interesting that it is difficult to describe it exactly as it is - as if the sweet smell of a rose plus a citrus note.
Below you can see the photos of the plant:
This unusual and rare flower found in the rainforests of Brazil, Colombia and Central America. So, this marvelous orchid was born there. The name "Miltonia" appeared in the orchid thanks to an English collector and a major patron of the arts, Viscount Edlydzien Milton.
What's the Difference?
The forms of some flowers in Miltonia are also found unique, such other types of orchids do not have, for example, huge flat flowers with petals that look like butterfly wings.
Of course, this type of orchid has its own gradations, there are about 20 different subsorts of Miltonia, of which the most popular are:
- Brilliant - this species is the most unpretentious, it adapts to both heat and cold, the leaves have a yellowish tint, the flowers are large - white or pink.
- Snow white - this variety is distinguished by a very pleasant aroma, on each peduncle (there are 2 of them on the pseudobulb) five large flowers bloom.
- Yellowish - originally appeared in Argentina, this beauty has a whole bunch on one flower stalk - 15 large flowers of delicate yellow color with different patterns. It blooms for a very long time - almost half a year - from the beginning of spring until the end of summer.
- Ragneelli - this variety has beautiful glossy thin leaves, huge white flowers with a pronounced aroma. On one peduncle they are 5-6 pieces.
When and how is it going?
This orchid can bloom at any time of the year, much depends on the conditions of detention, if these conditions are comfortable, that is, humidity, temperature, watering, fertilizing, and lighting are right, then it will bloom almost the whole year (with a short rest period) .
Miltonia blooms just fabulously - on the thin peduncles bloom large graceful flowers, and even with a pleasant smell. With her presence, she fills the house with fabulous beauty.
Recommendations on the content before flowering
Very carefully, you need to follow all recommendations on the conditions of the orchid:
- water 2 times a week
- feed regularly
- maintain the necessary temperature and humidity
- provide diffused light.
Naturally, after flowering, the plant takes a period to recover its strength, you need to rest before laying the next flower buds. This is a period of biological rest:
- Miltonia needs to be transferred to a room with a temperature of about 16 to 18 degrees and normal humidity,
- stop all feeding,
- gradually reduce watering (up to 1 time in 3-4 weeks).
This period can last up to 2 months.
- Choosing a place - The best place on the window (west or east).
- Soil preparation and pot - a special soil for orchids (store) or prepared independently from pieces of pine bark (small), from sphagnum, dried fern roots, perlite and charcoal will do; it is important not to forget to put a drain on the bottom of the pot, we will need a transparent pot, as the roots also need light.
- Temperature - the necessary daily temperature in the room: 20 - 23 degrees, and at night - 16 - 18 degrees, it is very important to avoid sudden drops.
- Humidity “Miltonia is rather capricious in relation to humidity, it needs at least 70% humidity, so it would be great to put it, for example, in an aquarium or a greenhouse, where it is easier to create the desired microclimate, it is still very easy to maintain the desired humidity with a home air humidifier.
- Lighting - a bright but diffused light is required, a good option is a western or eastern window, if it is possible to use only the southern window, you will need to tint, and in the winter you will need to additionally equip the backlight (better than the fitolamp).
- Watering - The plant, of course, loves water, but it is very important not to harm, not to pour too much, on average, Miltonia requires watering once every 5 days by immersion (the pot with the plant is put in a vessel with water for 20 minutes), water must be clean and warm.
- Top dressing - it will be enough once a month (during the growth period) to apply liquid complex fertilizers (for orchids), but only after watering, because the roots should not be dry.
- Transfer - it is required with a frequency of about 1 time every three years, when the plant slows down growth and the roots begin to crawl out of the pot, the new pot should not be too large, it will be enough to increase the volume by about 2–3 cm, do not forget to put a drain in the new pot, in the process of transplanting, you need to act very carefully, do not damage the sensitive and fragile roots and leaves, you should not overly deepen the flower, otherwise it will not survive, after transplantation it is impossible to water the whole week.
How to multiply?
The best time for breeding Miltonia - spring, you can combine transplant with breeding. Basically, There are 2 ways of breeding Miltonia, but mainly one is used - by dividing the bush:
- when we have already pulled the plant out of the pot (very carefully), take a sharp knife and divide it into pieces so that each has 3 or 5 pseudobulbs,
- then we plant each new part in our pot,
- a week does not need to be watered, let the plants adapt.
The second way is division by roots.:
- also when transplanting browse the roots,
- we separate the pseudobulbs that were formed as low as possible on the roots (3 pieces each) and preferably with sprouts,
- after that, we transplant small bushes into separate pots.
Diseases and pests
Dry air in our apartments and high temperatures are the main reasons for the appearance of such unpleasant things for the plant as diseases and the attack of small insect pests: scale insects, thrips and whiteflies.
- If you notice yellow spots on your plant that gradually fade - this indicates the presence of the whitefly.
- If suddenly the leaves began to become covered with brown sticky plaques, it is harmless.
- If the color of the leaves on the orchid changes and becomes as if silver (a lot of gray dots appear), then there are thrips.
- The tips of the leaves of the plant turn yellow, and then the leaf completely - this is a matter of bad water, soil salinization occurs.
Orchid as soon as possible is required to be treated with insecticide.
Prevention of various problems
You can try to avoid all these problems.:
- in summer, the plant should not be overheated, the temperature is above 25 degrees and below 12 is excluded,
- closely monitor the condition of the roots - they can be clearly seen through the transparent pot,
- the room where the orchid lives must be periodically ventilated but only not drained,
- lack of light is sure to compensate.
What conclusion can be made here? Of course, the Miltonia Orchid is not so simple, it may even play around, it may not bloom right away, but the fact that it is unique does not argue. And when finally, having spent a certain amount of effort, we enjoy her amazing beauty, then we simply forget about all the worries and worries and forgive all the whims.
Description, interesting features
Perennial Orchid family. In the wild, it grows predominantly in southern and central Brazil. Named in honor of Viscount Edlajden Milton, who gathered a large collection of orchids.
Sympodial orchid, epiphyte. In nature, it settles on large trees in the recesses of the bark. It has well developed roots. Aerial, surface roots provide the plant with moisture and nutrients.
Miltonia orchid forms a pear-shaped or oval pseudobulb. Pseudobulb contains a supply of moisture and nutrition. Leaves are belt-like, rigid up to 40 cm. Growth is predominantly vertical, sometimes bend back. Leaf length - up to 40 cm.
Peduncle erect, appears from the leaf axils. On each peduncle 6-8 large flowers. Blooming time - from July to October. Flowers are round, star-shaped up to 10 cm in diameter. The colors are usually violet, white, terracotta. The lip is enlarged, painted in a contrasting color. The flowers on the plant live up to 6 weeks. In cutting do not stand - wilt immediately.
- Miltonia white. Peduncles erect up to 40 cm. Brushes loose, include up to 5 flowers with a diameter of up to 9 cm. The lip is of pure white color, the petals are lanceolate, covered with red-brown spots and specks. The shape of the flower vaguely resembles a star.
- Miltonia Ragnielli. Peduncle erect, stretching upwards. Flowers with white sepals and petals. Lip light pink with stripes of purple hue and white border. The leaves are thin, glossy.
- Miltonia Honolulu. Rare variety, not yet widespread. The flowers are medium in size, very fragrant. The peculiarity of the variety is the yellowish color of the bulb.
- Miltonia yellowish. The flowers are large, bright, very fragrant. They are assembled into brushes in several pieces. Petals with a point. The middle part of the flower is white with stripes, the edges are wavy.
- Miltonia Sunset Hybrid variety from two miltonias. Flowers are large, bright yellow, characterized by unusual, pronounced color transitions. Pleasant aroma - fruity with pine notes.
Features of flowering and dormancy
Compliance with the rules of care achieve flowering twice a year. An adult plant during flowering produces 2-3 flower stalks on several flowers each. The colors of flowers are different. There are very interesting hybrids with blue, red and yellow flowers. Each hybrid differs in individual, unique coloring.
Favorable microclimate and rules of care
It is recommended even before buying a flower to figure out how to care for miltonia at home. Like all orchids, miltonia requires increased attention.
- Lighting. A slightly shaded or well-lit area with protection from direct sun will do. A sign of a properly selected light intensity and length of daylight is a pinkish shade of leaves.
- Temperature. The optimum temperature range in the summer is 20-22 ° C. A further increase in temperature leads to a slowdown in growth, contraction, and a decrease in leaf size. In hot weather, it is recommended to air the room more often, but to avoid drafts. In winter, in the rest phase, 15 ° C is enough.
- Watering. In the phases of active growth and flowering, there is abundant watering. Shrinking bulb speaks of a lack of moisture. The recommended method of watering - immersion of a flower pot in a container of water. Surplus water is allowed to drain and only then return the flower to its original place. Pseudobulb, rhizome, water ingress into the leaf sinuses is avoided. Occasionally, you can bathe an orchid under a warm shower, followed by wiping the leaves dry.
- Humidity. Not less than 70%. Dry air leads to yellowing and drying of the tips of the leaves. To increase the humidity, a pallet with expanded clay is used, the cups are placed next to water, and the plant and the air around it are occasionally sprayed. Leaves are periodically recommended to clean the dust with a damp cloth.
- Fertilizers. Feed up from April until the end of flowering. Combine root and foliar feeding. Use only special tools for orchids. Periodicity - once in 2 weeks.
- The soil. The ideal soil for miltonia is a ready-mixed soil for orchids. The composition includes the crushed bark of coniferous trees, coal and peat.
- Transfer. At intervals of 1-2 years to replace the substrate. Transplanted immediately after flowering, simultaneously with the onset of the dormant period. The neck of the plant is not buried. Use small pots with drainage holes and a layer of expanded clay at least 2-3 cm. Operate carefully, try not to damage the root system.
The pot should be taken transparent, plastic, with large drainage holes. During transplantation, the old soil is completely cleaned from the roots and soaked in water. This prevents the development of root rot and excessive acidification of the soil. Soil for miltonia consist of the following components:
- crushed fern roots,
- sphagnum moss,
- sod land
- leaf earth
- pieces of charcoal.
You should not deepen too much pseudobulb, part of the rhizome should be located on the soil surface.
Ready bouquet for a gift. In life, it happens. Of course bright flowers.
First thing stop your gaze:
- Tightly spaced pseudobulbs:
- Light green color
- Oval and slightly flattened,
- The average size:
- Length - 7-8 cm,
- 4-5 cm wide
Who how put the line:
- With a pot, or without it,
- With flowers, of course. 50-60 cm is not uncommon. There are higher. Not only on a particular variety. More from the right care. And very suitable conditions.
But not tall they attract. A composition.
Number of leaves
You can't count them all at once.:
- Several grows from each pseudobulb. Same color with her
- Only about a dozen (7-12 pieces),
- Narrow, like a strap. And long
- And by the end pointy,
- Even more than 40 cm
- And there are short - about 10 cm.
Diameter, flower shape
- Velvety flowers,
- For gardeners, they are comparable to oursPansies"Below you can see it in the photo. But only larger ones. From 4 to 10 cm. There are specimens up to 12 cm.
Miltonia its appearance resembles the flower "Pansies".
There is. And what. In many species.
Is it possible to repeat?
- This question is asked by those who gave a blooming bouquet. They so want. To enjoy such beauty again. And can their bloom remind of beautiful moments or events preceding the present,
- Miltonia bloom not only repeatedly. BUT with a certain frequency,
- In the created favorable conditions of the apartment or house. Not only in nature. And why still grow them,
- How successful cultivation experts say bloom 2 times a year. And again - even after a couple of months.
The market can do anything. Remember the phrase "there would be money!". Or "Any whim for your money!". Getting to list colors? Or we will not? Let us do it yourself.
And more about colors. These are just some of the representatives. There are combinations that delight even connoisseurs and experienced florist. But the blue flowers did not have to notice. Maybe they are not in nature.
But Phalaenopsis are already grown and sell with blue (Royal Blue). At least in a year he will be with white flowers.
Conditions of detention
Try well study your plant:
Before leaving, be sure to study your flower.
- What loves! What is afraid of?
- It is not difficult in our time,
- It is not necessary to go to Brazil or Colombia.
The optimal ratio of soil components
- Soil easier to purchase in specialized stores,
- Pick up specifically for such an orchid,
- You will find several guidelines for soil composition:
- Equal parts:
- Light sod land (riding peat),
- Fern roots (finely chopped),
- Finely chopped moss,
- Or peat land and small pine bark.
How optimal are these components and their proportions, you can trace as the plant.
Temperature conditions in flowering and resting states
- In winter, during the daytime - 20-22 degrees,
When flowering must observe temperature.
Remind recommendations by the temperature in the rest period:
- Day - 16-19 degrees,
- Night - 13-16 degrees.
- As in nature. They like to be seen. Well lit,
- If the western and eastern sides - so that the street trees are not shaded! But they do not need to cut. Shade curtains and curtains
- On the south side you have to take care of the other. Do not allow hit on the plant direct sunlight. Especially at lunchtime
- Winter will come - install additional lighting.
They write that Miltonia - naughty beauty. And right:
- Give a little light - they may not bloom,
- After direct sunlight burns may occur.
- A good neighbor means a lot. By myself I know. We have wonderful neighbors,
- This is not only confidence that your tomatoes and cucumbers he will not collect,
- This is a great emotional background and mood,
- Who does the orchid love? All my relatives. To such climate is suitable.
Planting and transplanting
- Pick up the primer. What could he be? This is for you to determine. We have mentioned some variations,
- If you cook yourself, remember component ratio. And good preparation of components (digestion, drying, grinding),
- And you can also find such a composition. Bark of coniferous trees. Peat and fern roots.
As one friend of gardeners says correctly: “Do not boil in your own juice. You are not on a desert island! ” Chat with amateurs and connoisseurs.
Especially with those who have experience in growing such plants. Including negative. And they will tell:
- Large pot sizes do not fit. The roots are not so big. For growth is not necessary to provide
- Very good fit transparent plastic,
- Choose a tank with good holes at the bottom for drainage. To ensure the smooth running of water,
- Beautiful pot good. And better - suitable for plant.
Transfer. Technology. Nuances
Miltonia Orchid confirms the reputation of capricious and during transplants. Well, not very much she likes this process. So spend it neatly. With respect rules and recommendations:
- Plants purchased from stores must be transplanted. If it blooms, give it a chance to bloom
- Replant the orchid no more than 2 years later. 3-4 years as an ideal
- But after all, circumstances must take into account. Maybe more:
- What is the condition of the soil,
- How do plants feel,
- Possible diseases and pests themselves indicate the need to change the soil,
- Choose the right time: immediately after flowering. Leaves are not big yet.
How to transplant:
- Inspect carefully roots and leaves:
- Remove dried leaves
- Rate the state of large. Maybe they already served their. For more free growth of fresh leaves,
- Control the depth of landing
- Do not dig in new shoots,
- Pick the best pot size. When transplanting it may be 2-4 cm more than before,
- Prepare good drainage:
- This may be foam, expanded clay,
- And even large pieces of prepared soil,
- Moisten the soil before putting it in the pot,
- Water in 2 days.