Bakuans pigeons are one of the most famous breeds of lively pigeons in the world, famous for their flying qualities. Their flight is unique, Baku pigeons are record-holders by the duration of non-stop hovering in the sky, which lasts up to 12 hours. At the same time the birds show their skills and their battle in the sky just enchants.
Bakuans pigeons are one of the most famous breeds of lively pigeons in the world, famous for their flying qualities.
The breed received its name from the city of Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, where these birds were bred. The magnificent flight and combat qualities of birds is the result of centuries-old enthusiastic and fruitful work of Azerbaijani golubevodov. Once in Baku pigeons were kept on almost every roof and in the skies above the city from morning until late evening you could admire the flight game of these beautiful birds.
For a long time, the pigeons did not pay much attention to the color and texture of the pigeon; the main advantage of the bird was its fight in the sky. Pigeons from Baku can be of a wide variety of colors (black-tailed, marble, white, red and many others), but their flight qualities were and remain out of competition, on this basis they are superior to all the breeds currently known.
Despite the variety of colors and the presence of many subspecies, Baku fight pigeons have a number of distinctive features, among which it is necessary to highlight:
- average value
- strong, slightly elongated body,
- round forehead and slightly oblong head
- long neck and broad back,
- long strong wings
- rather dense plumage.
The breed received its name from the city of Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, where these birds were bred.
In addition, representatives of the Baku breed of flying pigeons are unpretentious in their care, they easily coexist in large flocks, perfectly amenable to training, are very hardy and have good immunity.
Azerbaijani pigeons, both marble and representatives of any other species, reproduce very well. The dove lays eggs, and if the poultry farmer has not prepared a place for posterity in advance, the couple will make a nest from any material at hand, and it will not be possible to move it to another place. These flying pigeons are very attached to the house, they are able to find him hundreds of kilometers away. There is a case when a small flock of birds was acquired in Baku and taken to Astrakhan, after a while the birds, having covered hundreds of kilometers, returned home to their native pigeon house.
Gallery: Baku pigeons (25 photos)
Types of Bakuvians
All pigeons of Azerbaijan have excellent flight qualities, they all work wonders in the sky, so they are divided into species only according to their particular color and additional decorations. They can be with chubchik or without, in "pants" or with bare legs, with a spindle-like physique and a raised chest.
Among the Azerbaijani pigeons are the following species of breed:
- Marble bakintsy - they are distinguished by the presence of small patches on the multicolored plumage, and with each moulting the color of the plumage becomes richer, the age of the bird can be easily determined by this feature. In purebred marble Bakuvians, the spots on the plumage are evenly distributed, there are no single-colored feathers and large spots of the same color.
- Grivunas - have completely white plumage or with a slight frosted tint and a bright, very noticeable spot on the nape. The color of the spot may be gray, yellow, red or black. Also, the pigeon is able to have several brightly colored feathers on the tip of the forelock and in the tail.
- Blacktails - the main distinguishing feature of this species is the presence of a black tail in birds, but sometimes the color may be bright red, while the rest of the plumage remains completely white. Blacktails of Baku have all the flying qualities of the breed and perfectly show themselves in the sky.
- Broad-tailed Baku People - have a wider tail than other representatives of the breed and are distinguished by a long stay in the air. There may be different colors, but mainly in the plumage dominated by ashy, light and milky tones.
- Pigeons of Chile - representatives of this species have completely red or black plumage color (sometimes small specks can sometimes be present) and a motley head. These are incredibly beautiful flying pigeons, they are very strong and enduring, have a wide chest and well feathered legs. This type is capable of making a pillar up to 15 m high, for a long time to hang in the air in a vertical position, while performing 5-7 flips.
- Solid (monochrome) - have a single-colored feathering color from pure white to bronze, bare, non-feathered legs, the ends of the wings of birds lie on the tail.
Azerbaijani pigeons, both marble and representatives of any other species, reproduce very well
Flying pigeons from Baku are famous for their special style of soaring in the sky. They usually fly in bulk, each dove - independently, while demonstrating the best qualities of summer combat. The concept of "battle" means not the ability of birds to fight in the sky, but a feature of their flight, during which they kind of beat their wings with air, making a distinct sound. Black-tailed, marble, monochromatic pigeons of Baku are able to climb to a rather great height. Showing their game in the sky, they are perfectly oriented in the air.
There are several types of combat:
- “With access to the pole” - while flying, the bird often flaps its wings sharply and noisily, rushing vertically upwards. At the peak of the ascent, he makes a sharp roll back over his head, accompanied by a loud click of the ends of the wings. Some pigeons, after a roll, continue a whole series of ups and coups, while the pillar reaches a height of 15 m. The “pillar with a screw” looks very fascinating in the sky when the pigeon smoothly rotates in a spiral to the left or to the right with somersaults accompanied by distinct wing clicks.
- “Hanging battle” - with such a flight, pigeons rise up more slowly, make periodic stops with a less sharp turn than when flying “with an exit into a pole”, and again slowly rise to heavenly height.
At the present time, with the development of the popularity of Baku pigeons, breeders began to pay more attention to the appearance of the bird, not forgetting to develop the flying-fighting qualities of their pets.
Today, these birds have an excellent exterior, a variety of attractive colors, are leaders in the duration of their stay in the air and show a wonderful, unrepeatable style of summer combat.
As the name implies, Baku is the birthplace of birdswhere they were bred by amateurs, who at the time primarily paid attention to the fighting qualities of the bird, and not its appearance.
Pigeons with high flying abilities in Azerbaijan have been known since the 18th century, when it was part of Iran. Appearing for the first time as a breed in the 50s of the 20th century, these birds did not have an attractive appearance.
Later, as the breeders worked on the Baku pigeons, birds, in addition to excellent flight abilities, acquired and beautiful appearance, which can not fail to attract the true connoisseur of domestic pigeons.
Today, the birds of this breed are very diverse. They are of various color, mossy-footed, bare-legged, forelock.
Appearance and characteristics of the breed
With all the variety of subspecies, representatives of the breed have common features, which determine its features.
The common characteristics of the Baku Dove breed are:
- average neck length
- the oval shape of the head - its plumage can be smooth or chubaty,
- beak shape slightly curved, straight, thin,
- white small ceres with a smooth surface,
- lively, expressive eyes, yellow with a medium-sized black pupil,
- the back is broad in the shoulder area, somewhat sloping towards the tail,
- tight body spindle shape
- plumage close to the body,
- the average size,
- strong wings, not overlapping, lying flat on the back,
- legs of medium length
- claws white, less flesh-colored.
Cuby pigeons have a two-tone forelock: its front side is white and its back side is color. In the tail, as a rule, there are several colored feathers.
The pigeon breeders say that the plumage of birds is so dense that when you take the pigeon of the Baku battle breed in your hands, you feel as if you are holding a smooth, streamlined stone.
Baku Baku pigeons fly in a scattering. Birds do not stray into a flock, and each individual flies on its own, while demonstrating a quality "game". Reaching maximum flight altitude, they become almost invisible from the ground.
The game (fight) of birds is truly fascinating. Pigeons can spend in the sky from 2 to 12 hours a day. During the flight, the bird makes a “pillar” up to 15 meters high and makes up to 7 somersaults, each of which is accompanied by a loud clicking of the wings.
“Bakuvians” are distinguished by high immunity and almost never suffer from diseases, for which they are also valued by breeders.
These pigeons breed very easily. The female lays eggs even during the molting period.that adversely affects her condition. Therefore, the owner during the time, undesirable for breeding, should remove all building materials for the nest.
Birds are well oriented, and if nothing happens to them on the way, they can return home, even if they are at a distance of 500-600 km. The owners characterize the birds as loyal and loyal.
Varieties of Baku pigeons
Since pigeons of Baku people are very diverse, one should consider separately their main varieties.
Marble Baku pigeons have plumage with speckled patches and colored feathers. Birds look unusual and very attractive.
Because of the different color combinations, each pigeon is individual and cannot be confused. The more saturated the individual possesses, the older he is. Thanks to this feature, the breeder simply determines the age of the pigeon.
Color saturation increases after each molt.
Blacktails and Redtails
Blacktail "Baku" is also a kind of high-flying pigeons. The body color of the birds is white, and the tail feathers are black.. Do pigeons often have a forelock.
The flight qualities of birds are the same as those of other species of the breed. The appearance of pets is very unusual and elegant. Birds breed easily.
Apart from blacktails, there are also red-tailed battle pigeonswhich also have a basic body color of white. Their qualities, like those of the black-tails, coincide with the corresponding indicators of other “Bakunians”.
Baku pigeons broadtail differ from other species by flight duration. These birds have a beautiful appearance and outstanding power. Their tail in the straightened state resembles the tail of peacock pigeons..
The game of wide-tailed pigeons is particularly interesting due to their endurance. The color of the plumage may be the most diverse, but always light shades prevail.
In most cases, the individuals have a white, cream, milky or ashen color.
Chile - the most spectacular of all types of Baku. The color of these birds is black or red with a motley, light head. The paws of the brush are often painted to match the body. Chile has a slightly elongated body, wide chest and intense plumage on the legs.
Chile can easily hover in the air, performing complex and spectacular flip-flops. For this property breeders highly appreciate this species of birds.
Direct flight from Chile is also very attractive. Chile’s “Bakuans” are not uncommonly chubaty. In this case, the front part of the forelock is variegated, and the back corresponds to the color of the body.
The pigeons of the neck are also called manes. The plumage of birds is different in that on the neck, on the outside they have a strip of contrasting black feathers. It is not uncommon for pigeons to have tail feathers also in dark color.
The main color of the birds is usually white, milky or cream. The dark collar has a pronounced bluish or reddish ebb, which is why birds shimmer even in the absence of bright sun.
Many breeders consider these birds to be no less attractive in their color than Chile.
Development of flight qualities
In order for the birds to be distinguished by the special beauty of flight, breeders need to develop their flying qualities. Without this, good results will have to wait very long. Pigeons will fly beautifully only if they spend time on their workouts and provide them with a high-quality balanced diet.
It is necessary to begin to accustom young individuals to flight from one month of age.The deadline is 40 days. In the event that the weather conditions are bad, or the physical condition of the bird is not good enough, you can postpone the start of training until the age of 60 days. Do it quite rarely.
When birds start the game from 15-20 days of summer, after the first year their style often changes.
The best results are obtained from pigeons, which began the battle in 5-7 months.
At the beginning of training, pigeons make heavy tumbling, often rolling over on their side or tail, and at the same time significantly lose their height. A good flight with quality coups birds master in 1-2 months of training.
Finally, the style of the game is formed by “Bakuvians” at the age of 2, less often 3 years. Until this age, the owner can not be sure that after the molt there will be no change in the style of the fight. Because of this particularity of birds, only sufficiently mature, fully-formed couples are allowed to breed, as this allows a more accurate picture of the quality of the young.
Young individuals that have not yet begun to play can be released in large groups of 20 pieces, but for maximum flight results, experienced breeders recommend letting 7-8 birds at a time.
In winter, pigeons should be kept closed, as during this period they will stop the easy prey of hawks.
Baku pigeons deservedly became the most popular among flight breeds in Russia.
Beautiful and strong birds will bring joy to both novice pigeon breeders and experienced breeders.
A bit of history
The birthplace of pigeons of Bakunians, as well as of some warrior species, is ancient Persia. After all, earlier the northern part of the Republic of Azerbaijan belonged to Iran, but in 1818 it became the territory of the Russian Empire. There was the formation of the appearance and flight abilities of birds on the basis of ancient Iranian pigeons.
But the modern achievements and the final appearance of the pigeons reached on the territory of Soviet Azerbaijan. Baku was the most enthusiastic bird enthusiast. Each golubovodcheskaya family dynasty for generations tried to develop the best breed qualities, rigidly selecting the most capable producers and hard training young. As a result, the breed acquired valuable features:
- disease resistance
- high adaptive abilities
- quick adaptability to feed,
- duration and altitude, high-quality combat and skillful game.
Thanks to amateur Bakuans, the breed achieved high performance in sporting achievements, because it focused on the development and improvement of these features. The pigeons of Azerbaijan have spread widely in the Caucasus, the Krasnodar Territory and central Russia.
Amateur pigeons gave their hearts to Baku pigeons not only for their beauty and unpretentiousness. Most of all, they are attracted by a fascinatingly beautiful fight. If you devote a sufficient amount of time to training, enthusiastically engage in selection, this quality will develop more and more. To teach some pigeons how to fly that way sometimes it takes a year. There are also especially capable individuals who master science in a month. Everything will depend on the hereditary qualities of the bird.
Connoisseurs rate flight breeds according to several criteria:
- how long can a bird stay in the air
- how masterfully the pigeon "plays",
- how is oriented during the summer,
- on the latitude of the color spectrum of plumage.
If it is more accurate to talk about their vitality and endurance, then they are not inferior even to sports breeds.
The breed breeds well in the climate of the middle zone, and the parents of Baku people are also excellent. The dove is able to carry eggs even during the molting period. The breeder should know this and not allow the exhaustion of the female's body: everything that the pigeons need to build their nest should be removed from the cage.
What do they look like
The first specimens of the breed appeared in the 50s in the last century. Compared with modern pigeons, their appearance was not impressive. The color was inconspicuous, the bird humped, and the short legs did not add grace and grace to the gait. But in the air you could watch them for hours. And now experienced golubevody argue that the best fight and years at the head of a bird, no different beauty.
By crossing excellent birds by color within the breed, the bluebird breeders brought out its various species. Bakunians amaze with a variety of colors. Можно встретить чисто белые вариации цвета, крапчатые, чубатые, черные, с янтарными и вишневыми глазами. Среди них много лохмоногих голубей, есть и голоногие особи. Однако в любом случае их основное предназначение – умение летать долго и высоко, показать себя в бое.
But decades have passed, and the breed has changed, lovers of Baku pigeons have worked on their appearance and color, but the pigeons have not lost their flying qualities. Despite the variety of colors, Baku residents are united by common characteristics of the breed.
- Magnitude. Varies in the range of 34-37 cm.
- Head The correct oval shape, covered with smooth feathers, some species have a tuft. The transition to the beak is smooth, the nape is rounded, and the crown is rectangular.
- Beak Straight and thin, slightly curved downwards, up to 2.5 cm long.
- Neck Not too short, gracefully bent.
- Body. Proportional and dense, spindle-shaped, muscular and sturdy.
- Back. In the area of the shoulders wide, elongated to the tail.
- Wings. They are tightly pressed to the body, the long ends are in contact, but not crossed, the tail is horizontal.
- Feathers . Smooth, adjacent to the body.
- Eyes Lively and shiny, eyelids thin, narrow.
Krasnodar pigeon breeders contributed to the improvement of the appearance and exterior of pigeons of Bakunians. From the seventies to the nineties of the last century, they worked hard to improve the aesthetic qualities of the breed. New variants of color and exterior have appeared, the body has lengthened, it has become more proportional, the head is drier and more elegant, the chest has risen. The beak also became longer, white eyelids appeared.
But Krasnodar breeders are too carried away with beauty, not paying due attention to the fighting qualities of the bird, and their colorful beauties were inferior to their predecessors Baku residents.
As with all breeds, offspring do not always meet the standards. If some flaws are allowed, then a separate part of them causes breeders to mercilessly reject livestock. What disadvantages are considered minor?
- If crown has a slight roundness.
- Flesh colored eyelids.
- There is no bend on the neck.
The pigeon will not be included in the pedigree group and will not be taken to continue offspring if he has:
- hunched back,
- shortened body or beak,
- raised forehead or nape,
- not long or wide neck,
- there are feathers on the fingers,
- big and uneven cemetery,
- too bulging chest
- short wings, tail,
- too long tail feathers are not welcome,
- the feathers of the wings are not closed.
Lowered wings or loose plumage indicate the pain of the bird, lack of nutrients, so this appearance is also considered a defect.
Years and game
Baku pigeons in flight can not be confused with any other breeds, they have many drawings of flight. Fly not crowded, and in bulk, each bird, showing the game, kept separately. Above the ground they rise very high, turning into barely noticeable points, sometimes becoming completely invisible. But if you deal with pigeons, they are perfectly oriented and always return home. Sometimes they find their nest even hundreds of kilometers away.
In flight, the pigeon is able to stay for a very long time: from 2 to 12 hours, they even say about them: “He defended the day in grief”.
In the game of pigeons, the main indicator is purity and correctness when entering the pole; at least 2 or 3 tumblers with claps are required.
Pigeon fight is of several types.
- "With access to the pillar." This is the name of a game when a bird flaps its wings quickly with noise in the air. The pigeon rises vertically, then instantly tilts its head back and tumbles. The moment also accompanies the loud clap of the wings, hence the name of the trick. For many pigeons, the first exit is accompanied by a cascade of rises and flips. When taking off at 15 m, there are sometimes up to 10 rises and coups.
- "A pillar with a screw." In this case, the pigeon goes by the shuttle, with a flip, there is also a click.
- "Hanging fight". The peculiarity of this game is characterized by unhurried flight, the bird, hovering in the air, turns over and rises again. The flips in this case are not so fast, but they are also illustrated by the clicking of the wings.
Sometimes the pigeon plays, flying horizontally, or in a “gliding on boats” method, but for the Baku breed this is considered a disadvantage. The main thing is that the pigeon does not fly behind the others, for a truly beautiful game, individual flight is important.
For those who want to achieve success in the breeding of Baku citizens, the most capable individuals are pruned so that they do not disappear, flying long distances in bad weather. The real weather in Baku is not a hindrance, a cool pigeon does not know tiredness and loves to fly very much.
Variety of colors
The range of color variations in Baku pigeons is quite wide, ranging from pure white colors to black and bronze. We describe several types of color breed.
- Agbash. The view has a different suit, but the head is necessarily white. Among them there are representatives with bare legs, and there are also lochmonogie birds, you can see smooth-headed and long-nosed individuals.
- Black-tailed pigeons. Usually birds are monochromatic of different colors, but in any case, the tail plumage is colored black or red.
- White Baku pigeons. This is a whole detachment of representatives of the breed, united by white coloring. It is believed that they are superior to other colors in flight-fighting qualities.
- Mirrored pigeons. Another subspecies of the Baku citizens, it is characterized by a symmetrical pattern of feathers, there are among them with colored sides and tails.
- Baku pigeons chili. There are black and red colors with only a motley head, brushes on the legs can also be pockmarked, usually the feathers are black with white patches. There are among them chubatye species. The plumage of this species is dense and thick, on the neck and chest casts purple.
- Marble pigeons. Externally, they resemble chili, but the color is speckled, that is, feathers of different colors alternate. Thanks to this feature, pigeons look very unusual. In young individuals, rare patches are lighter, but after shedding they darken, the colors become richer, which indicates the maturity of the bird. The darker the paint, the older the pigeon.
Marble pigeons have a peculiarity: their coloring is related to the floor.
For example, a marble dove from a one-color partner will receive offspring of its coloring only in males. When the male has homozygous genes, and his girlfriend is of a different color, the chicks will still be all marble. If he is not homozygous, the color of the chicks will alternate, regardless of gender.
- Pigeons neck. The color of doves is usually white, the eyes are cherry, they have no eyelids. Neck without a characteristic bend, on it behind there is a bright spot. Color options can be reddish, gray-blue, black, yellow, there are also several multicolored feathers in the tail. Spiky necks are rare.
- Hryvnia The species was bred at the beginning of the 20th century by the lover of the breed Schmidt. The creator tried to preserve all the advantages of the Baku residents, but brought out a completely new type of pigeons with a monochromatic light plumage and bright color on the nape. Front saved a typical ebb on the neck. A hub for the hryvnia is a frequent phenomenon, it is necessarily painted at the back, but it remains white in the front.
The yellow pigeon is rarely found, the coloring is not typical of the native Bakuites, it is a product of Krasnodar breeders. Usually, it is the name for grivunas or necks with yellow spots on the neck.
Bakuites of these colors are popular in Russia, as they are beautiful, unusual, valued for their simplicity and adaptability to different climatic conditions.
The pigeons of Azerbaijan gained their popularity precisely for their flying qualities and beautiful and long battle. But how to succeed, what is needed for this?
- For valuable property to develop fully, it is important to pay special attention to training and quality nutrition. After all, the young bird requires a lot of effort for hard work.
- Golubevody believe that it is not necessary to delay with the start of training: the sooner to send a young pigeon in years, the better. Already in 30 - 40 days they begin to accustom young flight. Sometimes they start training later, at the end of two months, it depends on the conditions of keeping and the physical condition of the bird. If you delay learning, it will be more difficult to achieve results. And not the fact that attempts at all will be crowned with success.
- If the Baku warriors start beating too early, about 15 days after takeoff, then after a molt in a year they can change the style of the game. The best results for those individuals who started the game in 5 or 7 months.
- At first, the young fighter doesn’t have a right turn, he collapses on his tail and loses height, in about two months he will begin to roll over, assimilate the correct elements of the battle.
- The style of play at the Baku pigeon will finally be formed by 2 or 3 years, before any breeder is not sure that the style of the game will not change after molting. Therefore, on the tribe to maintain the valuable qualities take only proven birds. In this case, the ability of the parents will go to the offspring.
- Young people who are not yet beaten out are launched immediately in large batches of 20 birds, but experts recommend producing no more than 7 or 8 birds together. When they have one style of play, you can drive twice as much.
In order for young pigeons to learn to return home on the first call, breeders in Baku before summer feed them little.
In winter, birds are kept locked up, because the changeable weather can destroy a valuable bird, so it is easier for them to fall into the paws of a hawk. It is also not recommended to do this during the rearing period, as pigeons leave the nest for a long time.
Appearance and physique
As a result of perennial crosses and attempts to maximally “improve” the species and character of birds in the modern world, the Baku pigeon looks like this:
- Magnitude. The average bird size is 34–38 cm.
- Head. Oval-shaped with neat feathers, some species wear a “crest”. The transition over the beak is smooth, the crown resembles a rectangle.
- Beak. Smooth, quite thin. It has a rounded end, the length is not more than 2.5 cm.
- Neck. Rather long, with a neat curve.
- Body. Has perfect proportions relative to the head, toned, rather muscular.
- Back. The shoulders are wide enough, narrowed to the tail.
- Wings. Fit tightly to the body, the ends lie close to each other, but do not form a "cross." The tail is parallel to the ground.
- Feathers. Smooth, adjacent to the body.
- Eyes. Have a characteristic shine.
Find out what features are typical for Turkish, Turkmen, Nikolaev, Uzbek pigeons, peacocks.
During the flight, this breed of birds cannot be confused with any other pigeons, because in the air they show various figures characteristic only for them.
Unlike many other species of urban birds, Baku pigeons fly not in flocks, but loose, and each bird shows its individual “game” during the flight. Usually this species rises high enough in the sky, sometimes even becomes invisible to the naked eye, but with proper upbringing, these pigeons always find their way home, as they are very attached to the place.
Pigeon air stunts can be observed endlessly: the bird rises vertically high into the sky, then, throwing its head back, begins to tumble toward the ground, flapping its wings loudly, and so several times.
Bakuvians fly individually for the sake of their show, because synchronous falls will not look so fascinating.
Did you know?This breed of pigeons can be in the air for more than 12 hours in a row.
This species appeared in the early twentieth century. Brought him a lover of this breed Schmidt. The peculiarity of this species is that the body is a monochromatic white color, and the “tuft” on the head has a bright, highlighting color in the back. Front "chubchik" is also white.
Learn how to keep pigeons.
This species differs exclusively white color, without any blotches. It is believed that this particular type has the best flight qualities.
Learn how to contain ostriches, peacocks, partridges, quails, guinea fowls, pheasants, geese, ducks at home.
Many breeders attribute this species to the most beautiful: the bird has a brass color, often with red or black splashes.
Learn how to catch a partridge, pheasant with your own hands.
This pigeon has a predominantly white color (more rarely, with various inclusions). A characteristic feature is a reduced head and short beak. These birds love to soar high into the sky, much higher than other species.
The name speaks for itself: the bird has a white coating with marble splashes of different colors. This color is transmitted exclusively through the maternal line, that is, if the female is marble, the chicks will be exactly the same as the mother. Very beautiful and unusual type of pigeons.
Requirements for the room
Pigeon - a representative of the winged, who live long enough. The lifespan of some representatives passes for 30 years, and this is a third of the life of a long-lived person. However, the birds can set such a record only if they are properly maintained, because if you don’t provide your pet with a decent house, life expectancy can decrease by 2 or even 3 times.
Learn how to build a dovecote.
The dimensions of dovecote are very important: birds should move freely in it and even make small flights from side to side, because the wings of birds should always be able to move. So, the size of the bird house should be:
- height is 150–200 cm
- area - a dozen pigeons should be at least 15 square meters. m
The sizes are designated minimum, if there is an opportunity to make the area more - it will be only better.
Heat and ventilation
The pigeon room should be warm enough. The temperature should be 21–25 ° С in summer and about 5 ° С in winter. It is advisable to avoid sudden changes in temperature.
As in any dwelling for a living creature, in a bird house you cannot do without ventilation. The air for the birds must flow continuously, otherwise the pets may suffocate.
Nests and nests
It is desirable that each bird has an individual place - a perch on which the winged ones will spend their time and rest from the long flights. Baku breed needs smooth perches (wooden beams). If places are constructed in the form of shelves - they can be paired for 2 or 3 birds.
In addition to roosting, flyers necessarily need nests in which they will hatch their offspring. Nests are usually small square “boxes” without top, where the female can lay eggs and freely sit on them.
Important!In the nest there must be a natural litter (for example, from straw). Human access to nests also plays an important role, since birds cannot change the flooring themselves.Video: pigeon house device
Feeding trough, drinking bowl, kupalka
Breeders with years of experience strongly recommend making separate feeders for adults and young stock so that everyone is full and there are no conflicts and fights. Familiarize yourself with the species of pigeons and their breeding rules. Requirements for proper feeding:
- natural materials from which it is made,
- direct access to food
- protection against ingress of external objects into it (garbage, moisture, excreta),
- easy access for humans (for cleaning).
Any feeder needs a removable pan, onto which grain is poured directly, and in the "roof" to protect it from debris.
Video: the pros and cons of different feeders for pigeonsDrinking bowl
The drinker can be purchased at a specialty store, or you can do it yourself using a large bottle with a bowl. However, it is important that the amount of water corresponds to the number of individuals. Birds should not suffer from thirst.
Important!In the cold season it must be remembered that the water tends to freeze, so you should think of heating for the drinker if it is outside.
Bathing is necessary for feathered animals to maintain a good state of their feathers and overall health. This process allows birds to get rid of dead feathers, dust and insects, which can be got in the organic coating of pigeons.
As a cup you can use ordinary deep water containers, in which the pets will be happy to climb and wash themselves. You can also use large basins with special flooring (dry wormwood, ordinary fine sand, etc.).
In case a large amount of dirt or pests is detected in an individual, the breeder must independently bathe the bird in special medical devices or take a pigeon for bathing to a veterinary clinic (but not every veterinary hospital provides such a service).
Bathing doves: video
Litter and cleanliness
For ease of cleaning and more comfortable living pigeons in each dovecote, you must make the flooring, the height of which should be at least 50 mm. As the "carpet" you can use straw, sawdust, small wooden shavings and other harmless materials.
It is necessary to replace litter depending on the number of “beaks”, because more individuals - more dirt. The minimum number of cleanings - once a week. And once a month it is necessary to carry out disinfection with the help of special gentle means that will be harmless for both pets and humans.
In the manufacture of mounted pigeons in their design must necessarily enter the entrance area - the "ceremonial corridor", in which the pigeon comes before you get into the "house". Usually it is a square about 15 × 15 cm in size, and 1 such a cage is calculated for a pair of pigeons.
Поскольку навесные конструкции обычно рассчитаны на несколько пар, то, соответственно, нужно сделать несколько коридоров для того, чтобы голуби могли свободно входить и выходить независимо друг от друга.
Feed and water
Food for the beloved feathered family must necessarily include such trace elements as proteins, fats, carbohydrates and various vitamins to ensure that the health and plumage of pigeons is impeccable.
The main feeding element of birds is cereals - barley, millet, corn, rice, etc. But for birds alone, cereals will not be enough. In the diet should definitely include beans (peas, lentils), oilseeds (sunflower, rapeseed, flax), carrots. It is also worth adding berries, leaves and grass (lettuce, germinated grain). Learn how to feed pigeons and chicks. Such a complex will be sufficiently rich in all the trace elements necessary for the birds, will allow pigeons to fully recover after long flights and save energy for new feats.
Often, breeders use fodder as feed, which is sold in specialized stores and contains all the necessary substances.
Important!Feathered pets should have 2 meals: breakfast and dinner.
With water for pets, everything is simpler: it must be clean and must be changed frequently in order to avoid contamination and stagnation. Birds need regular fresh drinking.
Neighborhood with other pigeons
Many pigeon owners choose the Baku breed of birds as their pets. This is explained by the fact that this is a very beautiful pigeon, which has excellent flight qualities, and is also relatively unpretentious and fairly resistant to diseases.
Mostly pigeons live in families of the same breed, but if you want to have several different types of pigeons, it’s worth it from the very beginning. Birds from a young age can get used to each other. Also, as mentioned earlier, it is important to provide separate feeding troughs for adults and young animals in order to avoid drak. Find out all about pigeon diseases, is it safe to use pigeons?
Birds learn to fly, looking at their parents: adults fly and “play” in the sky, and young animals try to imitate them. In order for the chicks to learn how to fly and “play,” you need to regularly literally train your feathered wards. To do this, you need to have patience, because the bird will not get everything right away. For proper training there is a certain number of rules:
- Starting the first training is not earlier than the 40th day of the chick's life.
- The first time the chick will get poorly (laying down on the tail, etc.), but over time the bird will "fill the wing" and learn everything.
- The final fighting style will be formed by the pet by 2 years, so it’s worth choosing proven, experienced individuals as parents.
- For 1 time it is worth releasing no more than 8 individuals of inexperienced young. When their style is close to synchronous, you can increase the number of "beaks".
- The most beautiful is considered the simultaneous fight of 15 individuals.
Did you know?In order for the young to become accustomed to returning home, breeders in Baku feed little birds before flight.How to train pigeons: video
Advantages and disadvantages
The main advantages of Baku pigeons are:
- relative simplicity in food, care and dovecot,
- good topographic memory (easy to find the way home),
- endurance, the ability to make long flights,
- excellent flight qualities (with proper training - amazing "game" in the sky),
- resistance to many dangerous diseases.
The disadvantages of the breed include:
- genetic defects are possible (round body, neck does not have a bend, etc.),
- young animals without additional training does not immediately return home,
- for a beautiful "game" you need long workouts, without which the breed loses its zest,
- long-distance birds require large amounts of food rich in trace elements and vitamins.
Chili pigeons are different from other unusual plumage. There are both black and red birds. But everyone has an unusual head - motley. They stand out for their flight. Distinctive features of pigeons chili:
- physique is different fortress
- medium in size
- head slightly stretched, maybe forelock,
- yellow eyes, white eyelids,
- physique elongated, croup massive,
- on legs (2-3 cm) feathers.
Variety of Chile distinguishes motley head
Marble Baku pigeons come in different colors: black, yellow, red, chocolate, etc. The correct color is where the spots are evenly distributed, without monochromatic feathers and large spots of the same color. Appearance is similar to chili, but these pigeons are beautiful. By the color of plumage determine the age of the bird. In chicks, the marble color is lighter, with each molt they darken.
If you create a pair of marble females and ordinary pigeons, the chicks will also turn out to be marble.
Beauty and grace affects another variety - the neck. The structure of the body is spindle-shaped, elongated; height is 35 cm. The colors are most often white, but there is a pattern on the back, on the neck. It is colored black, red, gray, or yellow. There are 2 types of pigeons:
- the neck is small but powerful
- eyes are black, no eyelids.
- White necks
- elongated body
- there is a forelock on the head, but rarely
- cherry eyes.
Baku pigeon Sheika has spots on the neck
Appearance and characteristics
The Baku pigeon is distinguished by good health, disease resistance, the ability to easily adapt and beautifully fight. For other features they do not stand out.
In appearance, individuals have many similarities:
- The motley head of the correct form. The crown of the head is smooth and cubic depending on the shape.
- The flattened temechko transition to the rounded nape.
- The straight, pointed beak has a slightly curved shape. In length reaches 22-23 mm.
- Small neck with a graceful bend.
- The body has a spindle shape. It is strong, muscular. In the hands of the bird seems to be a smooth pebble due to plumage.
- The wings are long, tight to the body, reduced at the base of the tail.
- There is an extension in the shoulder portion of the back.
- Chub from the back is motley, from the front - white.
The best of all birds breed in central Russia. The female lays eggs throughout the year. To prevent breeding, remove all that birds can use to build a nest.
Beautiful pigeons are not seen in the flock - each bird flies separately, showing its own style. White live pigeons have the ability to climb high into the sky. They even return home when they are hundreds of kilometers from home.
Fighting Baku pigeons need a phased development. Training Baku pigeons begins with exercises on owning their own wings. Then the birds are taught to sit down and flap their wings.
The later classes begin, the more difficult it is for a feathered person to master them. Gifted flight abilities of birds, begin to learn from 15 days. In this case, after molting, they change the style of battle. Finally, it is formed by 2-3 years. In general, the bird takes 1 year to master the skill, the most capable mastering everything in a month.
Features of the birds are that they are fed little before the summer, so that they return to the owner on the first call. It is better not to let them out in winter, as due to bad weather conditions birds can get lost on the way home. Females and males are released separately. 3-4 days before the competition, they arrange a diet. An hour before the battle, they are copied abundantly.
They are very popular for possession of high flying skills - they are able to spend half a day in flight, but the exact duration depends on the breed.
The secret of great achievement lies in regular workouts and balanced nutrition. Paying attention to the conditions of detention, you can achieve a faster result. In such an environment, the skill is well absorbed by the bird. There are enough qualities of Baku birds for which they should be bred and developed. Their flights are truly impressive.