Beans are one of those nourishing, nutritious and healthy products that can completely replace meat dishes in the diet.
Beans rich in protein and fiber are chosen by both active people and those who are struggling with overweight.
Today we learn how to cook beans.
How to cook beans: cooking methods
The cooking time of beans depends on its type. To cook white and red beans in the traditional way, it will take at least one to two hours. Fresh green beans cooked for about 5 minutes, frozen - no more than 10 minutes.
Cooking green beans
1. First you need to clear the beans from the twigs and rinse it well.
2. Pour water into a saucepan and salt to taste.
3. Put the beans in a container and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Check the readiness of the product to taste. It is very important not to digest the beans, so that it does not lose its taste.
5. Finished beans throws in a colander.
Cooking Dry Beans
Cooks recommend that beans before cooking soak for a long time in water. This will not only accelerate the cooking process, but also have a positive effect on the product itself.
Cook beans on the stove
1. Enumerate the beans, remove the damaged. Its surface should be perfectly smooth, even, color - uniform. Good beans are always firm to the touch.
2. Place the beans in any container and fill with water. On one glass of beans we take 2 times more water. We leave it a maximum of 10 hours. During this time, the product becomes soft and cleaned of harmful substances. When soaking the water needs to be changed every 3 hours.
3. We drain the water before cooking. Put the beans in a saucepan and refill with cold water. Now for a glass of beans we take three times more water.
4. Put the pan on the stove, without covering with a lid.
5. Beans do not need to stir. But periodically pour water worth.
6. Also at the beginning of cooking, you can pour a few tablespoons of sunflower oil into the beans. Then she will be incredibly delicate in taste.
7. After an hour and a half, try the product to taste. If the beans are not soft enough, then continue to cook them until ready. Salt beans need 10 minutes before the end of cooking. For 1 cup of the product take 1 teaspoon of salt.
Cooking beans in the microwave
1. Soak the beans, as in the previous recipe. For one cup of beans we take 2 cups of raw water.
2. Drain the water and place the beans in a glass bowl.
3. Fill with cold water and turn on the stove at maximum power. For white beans, 10 minutes is enough, for red beans - 10 minutes.
4. Get the beans out of the microwave, stir and throw in a colander. Salt and pepper product to taste.
Beans in a multivariate
1. Put the pre-soaked beans in a bowl and pour water.
2. For white beans, set the timer for one hour, for red beans - for 1.5 hours.
3. At the end of time, try the beans to taste. They should be soft.
If boiled beans without soaking, their cooking time will increase by at least one hour. You can boil up to 0.5 kg of dry beans in a slow cooker with a five-liter bowl.
How to cook beans: professional tips
1. For soaking beans you need to take a large dish. The beans in the water swell.
2. Boiled beans are soft and easily crushed when pressed with a fork. Raw beans contain toxic substances that are dangerous to the body.
3. It is impossible to soak the beans for more than 12 hours, as the fermentation process can begin. In the hot season, it should be removed in the refrigerator. This will prevent the sprouting of the beans.
4. A neutral environment is preferred for beans, so water should be periodically changed while soaking. If this is not possible, then a special soda solution can be prepared for soaking the beans. 600 ml of water take ¼ tsp soda. Upon completion of soaking the beans, rinse and dip again in a fresh solution for a few minutes. At this time in 600 ml of water, we take ½ tsp of baking soda. Now wash the beans again.
Soaking the beans shortens the cooking time and washes away the starch that is found in excess on its surface. Beans absorb moisture, but do not boil soft and taste very tender.
5. The water dissolves carbohydrates, which are contained in beans. Therefore, in order to avoid strong gas formation, it is recommended to drain the water in which the beans were before cooking. The beans themselves should be thoroughly rinsed.
Also, to combat flatulence experienced cooks advised to add mint and thyme to the pan with beans. The intestines will not suffer from gases, the beans will get a fragrant aroma.
6. If you cover the beans with a lid during cooking, it can lose its rich color.
7. In order to preserve the white color of the beans and remove bitterness from it, it is recommended an hour after cooking to change the water in the pan and put it on fire again.
8. Cooking beans need to simmer. Care should be taken to ensure that the water in the tank is not completely evaporated. The bottom layer of beans can burn or become mashed.
9. If the beans are cooked for soups, then it should be cooked until half cooked. In the broth, the beans will be fully cooked.
10. Salt beans must be at the end of cooking. If this is done at the beginning, it will become very tough.
How to cook beans: the use of beans and the best recipes
The beans contain only about 1% of fat, but this does not prevent it from providing our body with vital vitamins and trace elements. Beans are rich in magnesium, calcium, vitamins K and group B, iron, fiber.
This valuable product is not completely digested by the intestines, thereby eliminating it from all unnecessary. Regular consumption of beans prevents premature aging, strengthens the heart and blood vessels, improves immunity. The amino acid tryptophan contained in the beans promotes the production of serotonin. Including beans in the daily diet, you will forget about bad temper, sleepless nights and depressions.
Now you know how to cook beans. Now is the time to consider the recipes for cooking the most delicious, satisfying and healthy dishes with boiled beans.
To prepare this delicious dish you will need:
Dice onion and fry in butter. Add the melted carrot into the pan and fry for 2 minutes with the onion. Cut the tomatoes in half and grate. Tomato mass is poured into the pan. The sauce is prepared for 10 minutes. Now perelazhivaem in a pan of beans, salt, add garlic and simmer for 10 minutes. Before serving, decorate the dish with parsley.
Beans with vegetables
For this dish you need the following ingredients:
• tomato paste - 100 g,
• black pepper, bay leaf.
Pre-chopped onion fried in a frying pan. Grate carrots and add to the onions. Fill vegetables with water and simmer for 15 minutes.
Beans combine with steamed vegetables and continue to cook for 20 minutes. Add tomato paste, bay leaf, pinch of sugar, salt, pepper. Before serving, decorate with greens.
To make two servings of salad, you need the following ingredients:
• red beans - 1 cup,
• lettuce leaves - 100 g,
• canned tuna - 80 g (small jar),
• canned corn - 3 tbsp. spoons
• apple cider vinegar - 15 g,
• small onion - 1 pc.,
• chilli pepper - 1 pc.,
• olive oil - 45 ml,
Rinse the lettuce leaves and leave in cold water for 1 hour. They will be crispy. Onions should chop half rings, pepper - straws. Add chopped beans and corn to chopped vegetables. Lettuce leaves dry, tear into a large plate. Cut the tomatoes into rings and spread over the greens. Cover the tomatoes with bean mix. Put a piece of tuna on top.
Cooking dressing of vinegar and olive oil. Beat the ingredients with a whisk until the state of the emulsion and pour the salad.
Spicy beans with eggs
Ingredients for cooking:
• white beans - 150 g,
• red beans - 150 g,
• sour cream - 2 tbsp. spoons
• canned tomatoes - 3 pcs.,
• olive oil - 15 ml,
• adjika - 2 tsp.
• garlic - 3 cloves,
• black pepper, cilantro, salt.
Finely chop the onion and garlic. Fry them in butter over medium heat. Remove the skin from the tomato and send them to the pan. Add adjika, sugar. Salt to taste. Stir well.
We send the beans to the vegetables and continue to fry until the excess tomato juice is evaporated from the mixture. Now we make four hollows in mass and break chicken eggs into them. Salt and pepper them. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serving ready meal with sour cream.
Diet bean soup
To make soup, you will need:
• beans - 2 glasses,
• salt, black pepper,
Finely chop the onion and garlic. Grate carrots. Fried ingredients are fried in butter and put them in the pan. Cut the tomatoes into cubes and add them to the pan along with the beans. How to cook beans, you already know. Vegetable mass is diluted with water to the desired consistency. Bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes. At the end of cooking add chopped greens. Salt and pepper bean soup to taste.
White bean pie is a popular vegetarian dish.
For its preparation will need:
• white beans - 300 g,
• baking powder for dough - 5 g,
• oatmeal - 200 g,
• salt, cinnamon, vanilla.
Apple rubbed on a coarse grater. Beans grind in a blender. Mix cereal, apple and beans. How to cook beans, we discussed earlier. Add baking powder, pinch of salt, a little cinnamon and vanilla. Heat the oven to 180 ° C. Cover the baking tray with food paper and spread the dough evenly. We bake a cake for half an hour.
Soup with beans and mushrooms
To prepare the soup will need the following ingredients:
• white beans - 150 g,
• tomato paste - 40 g,
• chicken broth - 1 l.,
• any vegetable oil, fine salt, black or allspice.
Chop onions, carrots and garlic finely. Put the pot on the stove over medium heat. Pour the oil and fry the mushrooms. Salt, pepper to taste. Add chopped vegetables to mushrooms. Now cut the sausage into small strips and put it in a saucepan. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Cook soup for 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and white beans. Again, give the dish to boil. Before serving, put parsley in the soup.
When you know how to cook beans, any dish of beans will be under your power. Delicious salads, appetizers and soups are made from this nutritious product. Dishes are very delicate and soft to the taste.
How to soak red beans
Before direct boiling the beans, it should be soaked in water for a sufficiently long time. Skipping this step is not recommended! Of course, soaking accelerates the preparation of beans, but, in addition, it contributes to a better assimilation of carbohydrates of beans, and therefore helps prevent digestive problems.
Soak the beans in cold water (!) At a ratio of 2 parts of water to one part of the beans.
It is advisable to soak the red beans for no less than 8 hours, but no more than 12 hours, to avoid possible water fermentation. For the same reason, whenever possible, it is worth changing the water every 3 hours.
Keep in mind that "fast" ways of soaking beans, for example, with soda lead to the destruction of nutrients.
How to cook red beans
Drain the water in which the beans have been soaked, rinse the beans thoroughly and fill with fresh water so that the beans are covered with about the phalanx of the finger. Cook the beans over low heat, avoiding excessive boiling of water and not closing the pot with a lid. Carefully monitor the water level in the pan, gently pour water as needed. The total duration of cooking beans is about 1-2 hours. It depends on how long the beans are stored. The “older” your beans, the longer it will boil.
There are several subtleties that must be considered when cooking red beans:
If you cover the pan, in which the beans are cooked, with a lid, the beans will acquire a brown-brown color.
Salt water at the very beginning of cooking beans, if you want to keep the shape of beans, and at the end of cooking, if you need boiled beans.
By stirring the beans, you make it boil. Do this only if you are preparing a puree soup, pâté, or other dishes that do not matter the shape of the beans.
How to determine the readiness of beans
To understand whether the beans are ready, you can use the method that is often used by chefs of classic European restaurants. Pulling three beans from the pot, try each one; if everyone is soft, you can drain the beans. If at least one of them is undercooked to your taste, continue cooking and use the same test method in 10-12 minutes.
Take advantage of the rich collection of red bean recipes collected on our website to fully appreciate the taste and benefits of this beautiful bean.
How to prepare beans
The first thing to do is check the expiration date. Beans that have lain for more than a year are likely to have dried out. Such beans will not become soft and tender, no matter how much you boil them.
Go through the beans (don't worry, it's quick) and discard all the shriveled and suspicious beans, as well as the stalks and other garbage.
Then thoroughly rinse the beans in a colander under running cold water.
The next step is soaking, and for good reason. Firstly, pre-soaked beans cooked faster. This, by the way, is not the main reason: without soaking the beans will cook for only 15–20 minutes longer.
Secondly, during soaking, oligosaccharides partially dissolve, which cause increased gas formation in the intestine.
Thirdly, it is believed that during soaking the beans lose the so-called antinutrients - compounds that interfere with the absorption of nutrients. In particular, legumes contain phytic acid, which interferes with the absorption of zinc, calcium, magnesium and iron.
1. Slow, or cold, way
Proponents of this method of soaking claim that it allows you to get rid of the unpleasant side effects for which legumes are famous. However, please note that it takes time. Put the beans in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
For 1 cup of beans you will need 5 glasses of water.
2. Fast, or hot, way
If there is no time for a long soak, then simply pour the dry beans into the pan and cover with water in the same proportion as in the previous method. Bring the water to a boil and boil the beans for 2–3 minutes. Then remove the pan from the stove, cover and allow to stand for at least 1 hour.
Please note that the volume of beans after soaking and boiling will increase by 2-3 times, so choose a larger pot.
By the way, some housewives say that with this method of soaking the dish turns out to be tastier.
How to cook beans
After soaking, drain the water and rinse the swollen beans in running water. Then put it in a large saucepan and cover with water so that it completely covers the beans. Bring the water to a boil and add a tablespoon of sunflower or olive oil to make less foam.
Cook the beans on low heat. Perhaps in the process of cooking you need from time to time to pour water into the pot. Depending on the type of beans, shelf life and water hardness, cooking time can be from 0.5 to 2.5 hours.
While cooking the beans do not need to interfere, and the pan does not need to cover the lid.
To find out if the beans are ready, mash one thing with a fork or fingers. Ideally, the beans should be soft, but not boiled soft to the state of porridge. If the beans are still crunching, then leave it to cook further and check for readiness every 10 minutes.
There is a fairly common myth that salt gives the beans the density and hardness, so you need to add it at the end. In fact, salt does not affect the consistency of the beans, if you, of course, are not going to pour it into the pan in handfuls. Herbs and spices can also be added at any time.
If you need to add acidic foods like lemon juice, wine, vinegar, or tomatoes with a recipe, do this after the beans are ready. Otherwise, the beans may not turn out as tender as we would like.
Finished beans can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. It is recommended to use for this flat shallow containers.
Do you have any secrets of cooking beans? Share them in the comments.
The benefits of beans
Red beans - a unique source of a number of useful trace elements and vitamins. And the protein contained in it is not inferior in its value to fish and meat. No wonder many vegetarians prefer legumes as a source of protein. They are a real source of amino acids:
- Histidine is an important part of hemoglobin. It also contributes to the normal functioning of the joints and the auditory nerve,
- тирозин улучшает работу надпочечников и эндокринных желез, является антиоксидантом и выраженным антидепрессантом, способствует снижению аллергических реакций,
- лизин помогает избавиться от кишечных инфекций и болезнетворных вирусов,
- аргинин положительно влияет на женские репродуктивные органы, а также способствует упругости кожи, поскольку входит в состав коллагена,
- Tryptophan has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, relieves tension, calms and normalizes sleep.
Did you know?Some historians believe that Cleopatra owed its unforgettable beauty to whitewash, made from crushed beans. Having added a small amount of water, they were applied with a thin layer on the face. As a result, the face looked almost snow-white and absolutely smooth, which corresponded to the ideas of that time about ideal beauty.
Regularly eating red beans, you can feel its positive effect on the body:
- due to the high fiber content helps to normalize digestion, which is especially useful for people suffering from constipation,
- helps to maintain a healthy level of acidity in the body, fight flatulence and excess weight, reduce the content of harmful bacteria,
- is a great source of energy, it is recommended to use it to athletes and those who are engaged in heavy physical labor,
- the product regulates blood cholesterol and helps in the prevention of atherosclerosis,
- due to the high concentration of potassium, calcium, magnesium and folic acid helps the heart and blood vessels, helps normalize blood pressure,
- iron is involved in the supply of oxygen to all organs and tissues, which prevents the development of anemia,
- has a diuretic effect, is useful in a number of diseases of the urinary system,
- regular consumption of the product improves the condition of the skin and hair,
- thanks to the easy digestion of vegetable protein is recommended for dieters. Gives a feeling of satiety and does not lead to a sharp jump in blood sugar.
Lose those extra pounds will help: watercress, litchi, beans, squash, fruit of the suite, broccoli, spinach, cardamom, cabbage, goji berries, barberry, cilantro, lovage.
How long does it take?
On average, red beans are cooked for 1.5-2 hours until fully cooked, and after pre-steeping, for about an hour. Salt it better at the end of cooking, since the presence of salt increases the duration of cooking.
To determine the readiness of the product, you need to remove the three beans and try them. If at least one of them is not soft, it is necessary to continue cooking. You can start checking readiness 40-45 minutes after boiling and repeat every few minutes. This will prevent the bean from being digested. If you need to add water, then use only hot.
Learn more about the composition and benefits of beans for the body: white, black, red, asparagus.
How many soaked beans
So that the beans cooked faster and at the same time remained whole, it must first be soaked in room water for 6-8 hours. In addition, such legumes are easier to digest. In the heat soaked beans can be kept in the refrigerator so that it does not ferment.
To soak for one glass of legumes, take three glasses of water. After some time, the water can be changed, but it is not necessary. Rinse under running water before cooking.
Important!During soaking, the volume of the beans increases about two times, and when boiling another 10-20%. One glass of 300 ml contains about 250 g of the product, from this amount about 500 g of boiled legumes are obtained.
Cooking dry beans without soaking
- dry red beans - 1 cup,
- clean water - 3-4 glasses
- salt - 1 tsp,
- oil - to taste.
- wooden spoon,
- tea spoon,
- Rinse legumes well, pour into a saucepan and add water: 3-4 cups of water for one cup of product.
Bring to the boil, drain the water, pour the same volume of cold water and bring to the boil again over medium heat.
Learn beans recipes in tomato sauce and how to close beans for the winter.
How to cook green beans
- raw green beans - 1 cup,
- clear water - 2-3 glasses,
- salt - 1 tsp,
- oil - to taste.
- wooden spoon,
- tea spoon,
- Rinse pods well under running water, remove all stems.
- Place the legumes in boiling water, salt and boil on low heat for 6-8 minutes.
- To try, they should be soft, but not fall apart. If not ready, then boil a few more minutes.
- Ready beans with a colander rinse under running water.
- Add butter or any dressing to taste.
We recommend to find out what types of green beans exist and what useful properties it has.
Cooking in a multivariate
- Pre-soaked beans to pour into the bowl of the multicooker. At one time in a 4-liter bowl, you can boil 400 g of the product.
Add clean water to the 1.5 liter bowl.
Select the mode of "Quenching" or "Soup" and set the time 1.5-2 hours.
Ten minutes before the end of cooking, add salt to taste.
Video: How to cook red beans in a slow cooker
- Pre-soaked legumes pour in a glass container for the microwave and pour water.
- Turn on the microwave for 10 minutes at full power.
- Salt to taste, switch to medium power and cook another 20 minutes.
- Try legumes, if they are not ready yet, then set extra time.
Red beans are a great helper for any hostess, because it goes well with many products and is suitable for cooking side dishes, soups, salads and other dishes.
Check out the recipes for cooking tomato paste, Korean salad from zucchini, green tomato and salted cabbage in Georgian, assorted vegetables, horseradish with beets, adzhika, caviar from patissons, carrots, eggplant.
Pita with beans
- raw red beans - 200 g,
- onions - 1-2 pcs.,
- carrots - 1-2 pcs.,
- vegetable oil - 2 tbsp. l.,
- Armenian lavash - 2 sheets.
Did you know?The British first heard about the beans from the Dutch, which is why in Great Britain it is called Dutch beans. And in Bulgaria there is Bean Day, which is celebrated on the last Sunday of November. The ceremony on this occasion includes a variety of dishes from legumes, and even a shot from a bean gun.
- Boil the pre-soaked beans to readiness, strain and knead in mashed potatoes, you can leave small pieces.
- To rub a carrot on a coarse grater, finely chop the onion, fry everything in vegetable oil.
- Spread the pita bread, smear it with mashed potatoes, put vegetables on top.
- Fold the pita bread with rolls and cut into 4-5 pieces.
- Before serving, you can fry a little until golden.
- Serve with sour cream or sour cream-mayonnaise sauce with greens.
Video: Recipe for a burrito with meat, beans and corn
- canned red beans - 400 g,
- red onion - 1 pc.,
- Bulgarian pepper - 1 pc.,
- hard cheese - 100 g,
- 2-3 leaves of Chinese cabbage,
- garlic clove,
- a few drops of lemon juice
- salad bowl,
- cutting board.
Find out what healthy beans are for and how to grow them in open field.
- Drain the canned beans.
- Grate the grated cheese, chop the peppers and cabbage into strips.
- Cut the onion into half rings, chop the garlic and greens finely.
- Mix all the ingredients, add mayonnaise and sprinkle the salad with lemon juice.
Video: How to make red bean salad
- raw red beans - 200 g,
- onion - 1 pc.,
- carrots - 1 pc.,
- tomato - 2 pieces,
- vegetable broth - 1.5 liters,
- vegetable oil - 2 tbsp. l.,
- tomato paste - 1-2 tbsp. l.,
- 1-2 celery stalks,
- 1-2 cloves of garlic,
- bay leaf, thyme, parsley.
Other representatives of legumes are also beneficial for the body: peanuts, peas, mouse peas.
- Pre-soaked beans to boil almost to readiness.
- Finely chop the onion, carrot, garlic and celery.
- Scald tomatoes with boiling water, peel, cut into slices.
- Fry onion, carrot and celery in vegetable oil for five minutes.
- Put everything in broth, add garlic, bay leaf, thyme and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes until beans are ready.
- Add salt, remove bay leaf, pour into plates and garnish with finely chopped parsley.
Video: Red Bean Soup
Georgian Lobio Recipe
- raw red beans - 600 g,
- onions or red onions - 400 g,
- Fresh coriander - 50-60 g,
- 2 cloves of garlic,
- 3 bay leaves
- savory, coriander, hops-suneli - 0.5-1 tsp.,
- spicy red and black pepper to taste
- tkemali, vegetable oil, salt.
Important!Red beans are quite a heavy product, so it should be used with caution in small children and pregnant women. People with exacerbation of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract is better to avoid this product.
- Pour the washed legumes into the water, put the bay leaf and cook on low heat for about two hours.
- 10-15 minutes before the end, drain the water, knead half the beans, mix with the rest. If it is too dry, add water in which they are boiled. Continue to simmer on low heat.
- Fry chopped onion in vegetable oil, add chopped cilantro. At the end of frying add dry seasonings.
- Crush hops-suneli, savory, pepper, garlic and a pinch of salt in a mortar.
- In the finished dish, add the roast, tkemali and the contents of the mortar, cook for another five minutes. Salt to taste.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and half-rings of onion.
Video: Lobio in Georgian
How to quickly cook red beans
- Cook the beans in a pressure cooker, cooking time after boiling is about 40 minutes.
- Dry legumes will be prepared in half the time if after five minutes of boiling, water is replaced with ice. And so repeat a few more times.
- Regular sugar helps to soften the beans: after boiling add 25 g of granulated sugar per 200 g of product.
- Use a microwave or a slow cooker.
So, regularly eating red beans, you get a supply of almost all the necessary minerals and vitamins. In addition, you will certainly feel its positive effect on your body - increased vigor, endurance and calmness. Try all the recipes, choose your favorite and enjoy your meal!