Novice poultry farmers often wonder if it is necessary to install an additional heater for the winter in the hen house? Our answer: do not do it! Chickens do not need it. To keep warm, they are tightly pressed against each other. It is important to simply arrange the chicken coop correctly, to maintain a normal microclimate in it, so that there is not too wet or too stuffy. And do not seal the room tightly. Adequate ventilation is a key factor in preventing the accumulation of excess moisture.
2 Use deep bedding
Starting from the warm season (summer, autumn), do not clean the chicken coop completely from the remnants of chicken feed and from the material that you use as bedding. It may be hay or sawdust. Over time, this litter will overwhelm into compost, and you should make sure that you accumulate about 25-30 cm on the floor by winter. This compost from the feed and bedding material will release its own heat in the winter, naturally heating the chicken coop.
five . Hang cabbage in the hen house
This advice will seem strange to you, but keep in mind that, like people, chickens can get bored during the long winter evenings while sitting in a cold coop. A head of cabbage will be for them a kind of entertainment, a toy, diversifying their monotonous life. Chickens will peck at it with pleasure, swinging from side to side. They will move more, and therefore warm up, which in the end will make them healthier and more active.
6. Make your chickens a winter tanning bed
If you are worried that your chickens do not have enough space in the hen house, you can attach a kind of cold range to the type of greenhouse to the room. Enclose a small space, covering it with a transparent plastic. Put hay in there, and the birds will be able to walk there on good days, with much more space than in the room. And you can rest easy, knowing that they will not wander and get fresh air.
9. No need to drive chickens in the coop in bad weather
Check that chickens know what to do. If they don’t want to be outside, they go to the hen-house themselves. Let them do what they want. They are tougher than you might think, and do not suffer from the cold as people often think. Do not waste your time and energy trying to drive them indoors from rain or snow..
10. Roots is the main thing.
Chickens rest together, closely nestling to each other and fluffing their feathers. This allows them to keep warm. It saves them from the cold. Therefore, make sure that you have enough room for all your birds on their perches, that they can comfortably settle there. Check them in the evening with a flashlight - if someone is on the ground, then there is not enough space, and the roost must be increased. The roosts should be at least 60-70 cm from the ground.
How to feed chickens in the winter?
- Strengthened, at least 3 times a day. When it is cold outside and in the barn, the chicken must spend energy to heat the body. If food enters gradually during the day, the bird's organism processes it and receives the energy needed for heating. In the morning and at lunchtime animals give mash with greens. In the evening, give dry food. This food is coarse and lingers longer in the stomach, gradually being digested. It provides the body with more energy at night than cereals.
- Give the birds mash from different grains, vegetables, watermelons, pumpkins. Optimally, when the host products are combined.
- Add fresh herbs and dried nettle. Hay is thrown on the floor, used for roosting. Better when it comes from leafy plants. They are dried by hanging. More chickens willingly peck the branches of spruce, pine.
- Additionally, germinate oats and wheat for pets. Give cake sunflower seeds.
- Add in the mash bone or fish meal. In winter, chickens willingly peck various vitamin-mineral complexes. They are useful fish oil and feed with coarse fibers, solid (wheat).
- Giving cottage cheese with whey, skimming. These proteins help increase egg production.
- Add foods containing calcium. It is a small shell rock, sand. They put a bowl near the feeders and put in one of the listed items or mix the ingredients. You can give chalk or crushed eggshell. This is the correct content of laying hens. Whole egg shells are not offered; chickens can beat eggs.
- Wash the drinkers thoroughly and clean them daily. To keep pets from catching a cold, they give it warm. In ordinary bowls, chickens are filled with hot water in winter. You can make a special drinker, suitable for the winter period.
Overeating at any time of the year will have a bad effect on egg production. Feed pets need a balanced, satisfying, but moderately. When chickens in the country and freely walk around the site, they are eaten off by bugs, worms, grow fat, because of what they become slow-moving, the number of eggs decreases.
On an individual per day requires 150 g of food. An experienced owner knows how much food the whole coop needs. A good indicator when feeding is suitable, and in bowls is almost empty.
What to feed the chickens in the winter, in what mode, the owner of each farm decides independently. Pets will get used to such a schedule, which is convenient to man, they will wait for a new portion. Most often, the owner comes in 6-8 hours.
Optimally when fed 3 times a day. First they give food at 6-8 o'clock, then at 13 o'clock, and the last time at 17-18 o'clock. In the morning and at lunch the birds willingly eat mash, and in the evening it is better to treat them to dry grain.
Daily care in winter is that the owner pours warm fresh water to the hens. Hay is laid on the floor for heat. After eating the leftovers are removed and discarded, give a fresh batch. It is possible to feed the chickens in winter "from the table", but exclude sweet pastries, meat, bread. Beets rubbed on a large grater and give moderately. Cooked potatoes.
How to warm
If the owner wants the chicken production of eggs in the winter to continue, he must properly feed the pets, provide them with warmth, the right level of lighting. The first thing to do - to find and seal all the cracks.
Litter on the floor: straw, sawdust, peat, coconut fibers. The layer is trampled down and one more is laid. Trample it and throw on top of it. The litter is ready. This will help keep the room from +12 to +18 ° C, then the birds will feel great. In this mode, they willingly give eggs.
When there is a lot of cold in the winter and the temperature falls below what is required, experienced owners put heaters in the hen house. It is also important that everyone has enough fresh air in the room. Need ventilation. Optimally, when the poles are from the floor at a height of 60 cm.
Providing the right lighting
During the time when the day lasts from 14 to 18 hours the birds rush better. In cold weather this is ensured by installing fluorescent lamps with white daylight, others are not suitable. The luminaires are suspended so that the birds do not get to them, do not damage or injure themselves.
In the chicken coop, it is enough to turn on the lamps in the morning at 6–9 h., In the evening at 17–20 h. 30 min. If the light suddenly disappears, the birds will experience stress. To prevent this from happening, experienced farmers install a power plant that can be connected in the event of a power outage.
- It is important that the litter does not become dense due to litter. To do this, throw grain on the floor and birds search for it and loosen the flooring. Chickens are fed with B or B6 vitamins and they become more active. Littered litter should be independently loosened with a rake.
- If there is no big frost outside, then the birds are let out for a walk. Protect the site with natural brushwood, straw, reeds. They make such a fence, build a shed on top, and throw litter on the floor.
- For dry bathing put pots with sand, ash.
- From autumn to winter, the daylight in the chicken coop is gradually increased, and gradually reduced to spring.
- Eggs are harvested daily so that the hens do not start eating them.
- In the evening, birds are offered dry grain. It is high in calories and gives energy at night, so that they are not frozen.
- It is necessary to clean the house in the winter regularly so as not to dilute unhygienic conditions.
How to keep chickens in the winter? It is important that the owner fed the birds in a balanced way, provided the necessary air temperature, humidity, warmed the floor, repaired the gaps, set up a yard for walking, fenced it. Chickens in the greenhouse in the winter can walk.
Watch an interesting video of how to do a warm up of a chicken coop for the winter with your own hands.