Garden pruner - an appointment
Correctly pruning branches and other growths from trees, bushes, flowers and garden plants growing in a garden is impossible without a good garden shears (maybe not more than one). In this case, correctness means the exact correspondence of the operations performed to the goals for the achievement of which they are carried out. In other words, in order to understand how to choose the right pruner, you need to determine in advance exactly the consequences that are expected from its use. If you briefly describe these consequences, you get the following picture:
- Regulation of plant growth for their most comfortable development.
- Increase the yield and comfort of harvesting ripened fruits due to the optimum shape and density of the crown.
- Disposal of old and sick shoots that hinder the development of the plant.
- Promoting the emergence and optimal development of young shoots.
- Formation of the most aesthetically perfect type of plant in terms of its individual characteristics and combination with other elements of the garden.
- Cutting the roots and cutting the cuttings for plant reproduction.
Types of garden pruners
The huge range of garden pruners provided today to some extent complicates the answer to the question of how to choose the only option that is needed. On the way to acquiring the best for your garden pruner should carefully consider the proposals of manufacturers. These are:
- standard (classic) prunerhaving two blades, one of which is cutting and one stubborn (not sharpened). The crescent shape is designed to prevent the branches from slipping during the pruning procedure. The result is a clean, even cut and a non-deformed left part of the shoot. This pruner works well with young branches, the thickness of which does not exceed 13-20 mm, without using it for massive and dried shoots that have already managed to harden enough,
- garden shears with longAs a rule, handles are a type of double-edged pruner. They, in turn, are divided into two subspecies. Scissors for trimming trees are used if the thickness of the branches exceeds two centimeters. Such pruners can be equipped with mechanical compression amplifiers. Scissors, as a pruner for bushes, used at a thickness of shoots from 1.5 to 2 cm, not trying to cut off their dry or thicker branches. Especially for coniferous and climbing ornamental plants, scissors blades are made wavy or serrated. If significant production volumes are assumed, then electric, cordless, or gasoline shears may be the best shears. There are also multifunctional scissors that can be used not only in the garden, because they cut cardboard, ropes, wire and plastic well,
- gardeners interested in pruning vines, thick branches, dry and hard shoots on trees and bushes are offered single-pruned pruners with a small iron or plastic anvil with a corrugated surface. The corrugation does not allow the branches to crawl when pruning,
- garden pruner on a very long handle, you can simply call the delimber, although this is not the only option for pruning for cutting very long branches, say, on tall trees. A professional lopper is controlled by two hands, with a working arm length of up to 0.9 m, this can not be otherwise. The purity of the cut is guaranteed, and additional convenience is that when forming bushes there is no need to work in the slope. In addition to hand loppers, there are electrically operated (mains and battery powered) and gasoline,
- Special secateurs for shrub vegetation processing have been developed and sold massively. Which of these secateurs is better to choose, you need to decide on the basis of real needs. As a rule, they have lengthened handles and reinforced blades. True, there are tools with both bilateral and single-sided blade. With the help of the latter, it is possible to remove unwanted branches already up to 5 cm thick
- ratchet pruner it is reliable for ensuring gradual cutting of any types of branches. With a few successive clicks, an ever greater recess of the cutting blade is achieved with the minimum necessary physical effort,
- cutoffas the shackle pruner from the category of loppers is simplified, it is specially designed for trimming tall shrubs and trees. The effect is provided by a rod (or telescopic device). At the same time, the required length of the handle is adjusted by folding parts or is achieved with the help of an additional rod. Such pruners are also made with the possibility of using gasoline or electricity,
- especially clean cuts on the stock or graft, made by a special figured knife that fits on the graft pruning shear, are also connected with particular precision. Given the love of gardeners to achieve plant diversity on their plots, we can safely recommend this very good pruner, significantly reducing the time of work, for regular use.
What to look for when choosing a pruner for the garden: highlights
How, studying the variety of tools offered by the trade, precisely choose the garden shears you need? To do this, without haste, pay close attention to a number of significant circumstances.
- To determine the type (s) of work for which the secateurs will be used.
- Make sure that the spring for the pruner matches your power capabilities in order to use it comfortably. To do this, before buying it is necessary to ponder on the handles, at the same time checking whether they fit the size of your palms and fingers and whether the tool itself is too heavy for you (or your family members).
- It is advisable to find a secateur that can be used with both the right and left hand.
- Check pruning blades for special treatment in order to prevent sticking of vegetable juice during pruning.
- To provide, keeping in mind the safe use and storage of the secateurs, that it has a lock for coupling the blades.
- Blades secateurs not last forever. Make sure that the model you choose has the option of replacing them - otherwise, over time (short, if there is a lot of work), you will either have to look for hard options for sharpening the blades, or throw away the whole tool altogether.
- Safety when working pruners assumes that he had a strong grip with the hands of the gardener and did not slip, creating discomfort and trauma. Buy a secateur with either rubberized handles or with ones that are coated with silicone.
- Do not limit yourself to the instructions for the product and do not rely on the high price - it is not a reliable guarantee of the same high quality. Do not neglect the opinions of professionals and knowledgeable people - they will help you to optimally compare the price offered with the technical level of the item being purchased and with your financial capabilities.
How to maintain the suitability of a secateur: proper care
Not everyone can afford to purchase a universal pruner with a full set of excellent qualities with the possibility of their use in the production of any work. Yes and no, this tool is necessary in most cases. Not to mention the fact that having a pruner for branches on the farm does not mean that a pruner is also needed for flowers. Therefore, using a standard or highly specialized pruner, you need to take care of its reliability and durability for as long as possible. There are not very many rules, and they are:
- pruning blades made of material subject to corrosive effects should be wiped dry after application,
- removal of vegetable juice from the surface of the blades is made with white spirit, kerosene or other solvents of organic origin,
- upon completion of cleaning the surface of the blades, the knot of rotation and the pruning springs, they are covered with a thin layer of engine oil (a few drops are enough for this) or are lubricated with a special compound for garden tools (litol, graphite grease),
- collapsible pruners need to be cleaned when disassembled,
- non-replaceable blades can be re-sharpened (if really blunt), using an abrasive triangular bar or a flat diamond file. The following procedure is applied: from the side of the cutting edge, sharpening starts to make reciprocating movements, after which, pressing the bar against the back side of the blade, they remove the resulting burrs.
- in winter, when the tool is not used, it should be stored, firstly, in a room where there are no sharp temperature differences leading to the formation of condensate followed by rust, and secondly, in the open, so that the spring is not used to be compressed and could then completely unclench (it is generally better to remove the removable spring for a while).
Garden tools: how to replace a pruner
Modern industrial production of any types and types of secateurs is so developed that the question of replacing them with other devices, as a rule, does not arise at all. Another thing is if the volume of trimming work is too small to spend on its acquisition in the absence of a secateur. In this case, you can use other cutting tools. For example, the graft pruner will be successfully replaced by a special graft knife. Different types of knives, depending on the sharpness, severity and strength of the material, can be used for cutting branches and plant shoots. In some cases, it is possible to use sufficiently strong and sharp scissors for the same purpose (both ordinary household and special scissors, for example, for cutting metal). Roots and cuttings can be cut off with an ax or a sharply sharpened bayonet spade. To remove some vegetative growths, ordinary wire cutters will fit perfectly. You can use a thin saw, but you need to consider that the resulting cut will not be as clean as we would like.
Garden work over time is increasingly mechanized. Increasingly, special devices appear that allow garden and garden crops to be processed more quickly and with higher quality, which leads to their early ripening and higher yields. Secateurs constituted an impressive segment in a wide range of garden tools, and this segment should not be neglected.
These professional secateurs are classified into three types:
The tool on the electric and pneumatic drive for giving is definitely not suitable, these are models for the gardener's profession. Mechanical secateurs have several types and characteristics. This is not a whim, because for a certain type of work on the garden you need a suitable tool.
Which pruner is better to choose
Simple pruners are also called:
- Garden shears. This is a garden pruner for pruning tall trees and shrubs. Tool type sewing scissors with two blades or plates. The tool is convenient in operation, but there are dents on the edges of the branches, which is not always appropriate. The maximum thickness of the stem for processing up to 2 centimeters.
- Bypass scissors. Models of bypass scissors or secateurs are equipped with only one blade, the second part is an emphasis displaced to the axis of the cut. Due to this design, only the trimming of a plant can be deformed. Upgraded bypass pruners can cut off both the dry and live parts of the plant due to the ratchet mechanism. Working with bypass secateurs is easier than with garden ones.
- Tool with resistant cutting surfaces. The design is similar to the bypass pruner. Also one blade and an emphasis, but in this device the cutting part rests against a plastic or iron stopper. The stop system (stopper) has a ribbed surface or recess.
Tips for choosing a secateur
Each gardener has his own requirements for tools, but there is one thing in common - ease of use. Based on this, experienced gardeners share their experience in choosing a tool:
- First of all, by taking the tool in hand, the sharpness of the knives or the cutting surface is checked. If the pruner is not ground, then it will not be cut exactly, but only to crush the branch. Poor sharpening tools will lead to diseases in trees and shrubs.
- Refine the steel grade of the tool. Ideally, it is hardened steel, similar to a forged knife. Blade necessarily with the desired level of rigidity, moisture-resistant. Teflon coated samples are also gaining popularity. To it does not stick resin, dirt. Another Teflon reduces friction. Also important is the thickness of the metal surface. A good blade of 3 millimeters or more.
- Secateurs handle. Specifically, the material of its manufacture. Handles are wooden, polypropylene, fiberglass, steel and aluminum.
- Total tool weight and ergonomics. Lighter weight will ease the load. Performance also depends on individual comfort. In this case, it’s not worthwhile to focus on the price of a garden pruner, as each person’s palm has an individual size.
Manufacturers are trying to create more comfort in their work and are refining the tool, for example, before turning the knob.
Evaluating the convenience of the tool, choose a model with a ribbon return spring. Of course, the metal for the spring must be high grade.
How to choose a beginner pruner
A novice gardener is better to purchase a secateur with a closed handle or with a carbon fiber overlay. A less experienced gardener will keep his hands from calluses, cuts. Plastic handles are not suitable for long-term processing of plants, it is a budget tool.
Before buying it is better to try a secateur in your hands. It is more correct to compare several convenient models. This will help choose the most ergonomic copy. It is better for a man and a woman to buy this garden tool “by itself”.
It is permissible to bring branches with you and test, a good seller will only be happy, because you will definitely buy something.
It is worth thinking about the potential sharpening of blades or blades. If the pruner is not disassembled for maintenance, then this is a big minus.
Imagine how the tool will be stored in the winter, if there is no lock for the closed position, it is better to abandon this model, because the spring should be in the clamped state in storage. Yes, and the accidental exposure of the blade can seriously hurt.
When evaluating each model, one should pay attention to the gap between the blades, and there should be no backlash on the central fixing bolt (the blades are tightly pulled together).
Overview of pruners from different manufacturers
To compare manufacturers and models of tools, practical tests are often used on branches of the same diameter.
For the correct evaluation, we chose samples of the following companies, and summed up the results:
- Pruner from RACO. Came in first place thanks to the easy operation of the device, high-quality cut. On the tested branches there was less damage. The minimum load on the joints of the hand.
- Gardena Comfort pruner. The most comfortable tool also handles branches with high quality, but there was no retainer on the model under test, and without this element the speed of work is not the same.
- Compact pruner Fiskars. Of the tested samples is the easiest tool. Due to this characteristic, it is pleasant to work as shears for a long time. Cut quality is inferior to RACO, but not essential for general use.
- Secateurs Centroinstrument. Convenient and reliable pruner, boldly cutting through branches with a diameter of more than 2 cm. The defect is only in construction, but this does not affect the overall work.
- Brigadier pruner model. Convenient and easy tool, but the quality of cutting thick branches is not at the highest level, it requires the efforts of two hands.
- Lux. Secateurs of this company - a classic consumer goods. For branches larger than 1 cm in diameter, two hands are also required.
- Grinda pruner. Not bad handles simple twigs, but sometimes "chews" material.
- Instrument since the USSR. Obvious unfinished tool, suitable only for a few minutes of work, then a substantial load on the brush.
The price of a garden pruner from this list is from 110 to 1300 rubles. The first place for testing is taken by a model worth only 380 rubles. It should be noted that it is not correct to focus on the purchase strictly on the price, the test data confirms this.
Tip 1. Try different mechanisms before buying.
If possible, try different options. pruners in, to appreciate the convenience of everyone in the work. Say, fashionable now with a ratchet secateurs personally do not suit me: the need to squeeze the handles with one slice slows down the case several times and tires, and even the cuts are uneven. Поэтому я рекомендую попробовать разные виды секаторов заранее. Можно попросить знакомых садоводов воспользоваться их инструментом: достаточно срезать пару веточек, и уже станет понятно «ваш» это секатор или «не ваш».
Секатор с храповым механизмом оказался для меня неудобным
Есть у меня и другие требования, но они уже из разряда личных предпочтений. Люблю обычные пружинные секаторы: ленточные I somehow fail faster, and made on the principle of clothespins or pins cling to everything. And I used to wield curved blades, one of which cuts, and the other does not. But your opinion may not be the same as mine, so again I urge you to try out the secateurs personally - before buying.
Secateurs can be with a usual spring, tape or with a pin
Tip 2. The size of the pruner should fit you personally.
I noticed that not too experienced gardeners are more suitable for medium or small secateurs. Indeed, the easiest way to get comfortable with them. But all people's hands are different. Therefore, it is necessary to “feel” the tool before the purchase and give preference to the one that seems more convenient subjectively. Keep in mind that the first impression of whether a shear or not is usually correct. A couple of years ago, I forgot about it and purchased a model that from the very beginning seemed to me a bit small. But the seller could only offer even more miniature secateurs, and I hoped to get used to it. But that never happened.
By the way, my hands are far from the largest - therefore I consider the common idea of the “big palm - big shears” to be a myth. Some models are equipped handle opening control. It can be convenient when one person uses different shears: one person has graceful hands, and the other has immense ones.
Tip 3. Do not chase the maximum diameter of the slice
In the description of the tool, be sure to pay attention to such a characteristic as the maximum diameter of the slice. But keep in mind that for trimming thicker branches need a certain skill. Until it is developed, it is better not to chase after power, but to take a secateur, which is “tough” for a branch up to 18-20 mm in diameter.
Beginners fit medium-sized pruners
Tip 4. Test the tool in motion
Take your time and do not fuss in the store, open and close the tool several times, shake them open and closed to make sure that the blades do not move without your desire. Spontaneous opening leads to injury, and too tight a latch will slow down the work. Flip handles, holding the brush in different positions - no obstacles should be felt. And do not fall for the assurances of the seller that the pruner "is developed." It should be convenient immediately, without any reservations.
Tip 5. The pruner should be sharp
Wood is a hard and viscous substance that lends itself only to a well-ground blade. At the same time, the quality of the cut is very important for your plants - if the secateurs will “nibble” and “chew” the branches, the unpleasant consequences will not take long to wait. To assess the sharpness of the blade, take a regular piece of paper (writing or office), fix it to the edge and try to cut it at the right angle from the end with an open pruning blade, acting like a knife. If the paper is cut, the pruner is sharp enough to work. Refuse to buy a blunt instrument. Do not rely on the fact that you yourself sharpen it properly. At a minimum, you will need some knowledge and skill, as much as possible. sharpening device.
Proper sharpening secateurs - a difficult matter that requires special skills. Therefore, pay attention to the sharpness of the blades already in the store.
Tip 6. Smooth blades better
Any grooves, scratches or bumps on cutting parts increase friction, make cutting difficult and make wounds worse. Cutting parts should be well ground. Some models have a Teflon coating on the blades, which improves gliding and protects the metal from corrosion.
The blades of the new pruner should be completely smooth, without any defects.
Tip 7. Evaluate the strength of the blades.
It directly affects durability. It is good if the cutting parts are made of strong and hard (hardened) steel: soft can wrap up even after the first use and quickly become dull. It must be remembered that the constituent elements are less durable than solid ones, because during operation, the secateurs experience large mechanical loads. For myself, I have excluded secateurs with cutting steel plates, since they do not endure intensive work for long. But amateur gardeners, whose annual pruning volume is small, may be suitable.
Tip 8. Take a secateur with sturdy and comfortable handles.
They should look powerful, not flimsy, since they play the role of levers and must withstand considerable effort. When choosing a pruner, with force remember the handles and evaluate their thickness by eye. Frankly thin and frail is not worth taking. Secateurs with a protective arc on the bottom handle are also sold, but these are the most powerful tools for cutting large diameter branches. As a rule, protective arcs are equipped with all ratchet pruners.
Convenient handles do not rub calluses
It is better to avoid too convex stamped patterns - they can rub your hand, but quite smooth surfaces tend to slip out. Look for options with pleasant to the touch, not slippery and not too hilly lining. In my experience, rubberized pads for pens are most convenient to use.
Tip 9. The brighter the better
This is a very simple tip, one might say, lying on the surface. How often do you lose a tool in the garden? Yes, constantly! The acidic color of your “tear out eyes” pruner reduces the chances of it being accidentally lost. In general, this advice applies to any small holiday inventory.
A bright tool will be easier to find if you accidentally lose it in the garden.
Tip 10. Secateurs should be more than one.
After you have taken advantage of all the previous tips and have chosen a tool for pruning, remember that you or your family members will surely be tempted to use it for other summer work.
Do not use the pruner for any purpose other than trimming branches. If you need a tool to work in the flower garden, get a separate garden shears
I constantly meet people who cut everything with a trimmer: they cut twine, wire, plastic, cut brooms, use them to work in a flower garden, and so on. As a result, the blades quickly become blunt and scratched, corrosion appears on the metal, and the screw fastening the halves loosens. Secateurs lose their properties, and they are difficult to recover, and often impossible. Trim trees with this tool is no longer possible! Therefore, it makes sense to have not one tool for all occasions, but several - for different tasks.
Ideally, in the arsenal of each gardener should be more than one secateurs. Each of them has its own purpose.
Three types of pruners that should be in the arsenal of each gardener
1. First in my ranking pruner with anvil and curved blades which is useful for trimming dry branches with a diameter of up to 18-20 mm. The nakavalenka will allow to cope with quite massive branches. It is better to use for anti-aging and sanitary pruning.
Anvil pruner Comfort PALISAD
2. In second place I would put straight cut pruner. This is the basic tool of any gardener. It is ideal for live branches with a diameter up to 18 mm. They can cut the branches of trees and shrubs, hard stems of flowers, twigs for bath brooms. And thanks to a different form, you will not confuse it with the first shears.
Secateurs straight cut Comfort PALISAD
3. Garden clippers have never been redundant, so they were in my top three. They are always with me, in the background. With a declared cutting diameter of up to 10 mm, the scissors will cope with thin young shoots and flower stems. It is they who need to cut the twine, film, garter wire, cardboard and other garden trivia, which will turn up under the arm.
Garden shears Comfort PALISAD
These are the three main types of cutting tools that are very helpful in our gardening business. But there is another type of pruner, though, until I tried it, - this graft pruner. I have been staring at it for a long time, but have not bought it yet. However, the hands are already itching, especially on the eve of spring. They say it is a loyal assistant to all vaccine lovers. The cut makes an even, without flaws, so the graft and the stock exactly match, which is very important for good grafting. I hope to test it soon.
Grafting secateurs PALISAD
Tip 11. Take care of your hands
And one more bonus tip: never neglect safety precautions for any manipulation with a secateur. Always wear gloves and hold the tool properly, because getting hurt is easy. You can not only scratch your hands on the branches, but also rub such corns (with a large amount of pruning) that you cannot take anything into the hand for a week. So think about your safety in advance and take care of yourself.
A mystery photo: what does a gardener do wrong?
And at the end of the test of attentiveness. I suggest you look at this photo and discuss in the comments what is wrong here. I found three errors. And you?
Requirements for pruners
In fact - this is a scissors, because of the specifics of garden work with a special configuration of the blades. The problem is that live shoots of plants secrete juice, because of which relatively hard branches slip out of the working area. Therefore, pruning shears are crescent-shaped, equipped with teeth, reduce the opening angle, in a word, do everything so that they do not slide during the cut.
For many years of practical use, certain requirements have been developed for the construction of garden pruners:
- in terms of quality, it should make even sections of branches without a jammed torn edge, which reduces the likelihood of plant diseases,
- ergonomics - a minimum of effort at work,
- reliability and durability.
They can be with straight or sickle-shaped, curved sharp blades, sometimes with serrations that prevent the branches from slipping. They give an exact even cut, but are unsuitable for dense, stiff stalks, since they are squeezed on either side of the cutting line. Good for trimming grass crops, flowers, as well as young green shoots with a stem thickness of up to 20 mm.
Straight blade shears for trimming grass crops
Bypass (bypass) - plane
The blades are also located on opposite sides of the cutting line - a thick lower one serves as a stop for the sharp upper that slides along it. The construction of the secateurs is tougher, but during cutting, the stem is crushed with a blunt blade, so when working it needs to be oriented in the direction of the cut part. Basically, this type of tool is used as a pruner for pruning trees, perfectly working on dry and green branches.
With anvil (support platform) - contact
Of all types, the most powerful, capable of cutting off branches of up to 30 mm thick. The principle of operation is that the hard, sharp upper part cuts the branch, pressing it to the flat lining of a soft but durable material, say, polymer. This is necessary so that the working part is not particularly blunt on the lower platform. It is often used for sanitary pruning of old trees, where there are a lot of thick dry branches.
In addition to manual pruners, there are also mechanized, electric and pneumatic.
With ratchet. This mechanism allows you to increase the force on the knives, reducing the load on the hands. Makes one cut for a few clicks, with each of which the blade closes more and more.
Electric drive. Battery powered pruners are more often used for large amounts of work. They significantly increase labor productivity, however, relatively cheap models of batteries do not have enough charge for a long time.
Electrically driven battery powered pruner
Pneumatic drive. Quite powerful, as a rule, professional products for very large amounts of work. The disadvantage - you need a compressor with high pressure hoses. For example, inexpensive pneumatic pruners of classic configurations are produced by FELCO. Air consumption - up to 50 l / min. Some models have a sprinkler for cauterizing a live cut of a plant against diseases.
Pneumatic driven pruner
Creative work on the design of floral bouquets requires a rather miniature tool, so that not only grassy stems, but also various decorative packaging materials can be cut. Therefore, the designer's scissors in the field of floristics are the most elegant of all secateurs, having thin elongated double-edged blades. A good choice of such a tool offers a Japanese company ARS.
Care for thorny shrubs
Such a pruner has elongated handles or protection against thorns, sometimes it is equipped with a special grip, which allows, holding the cut branch with a flower, to pull it out of the bush without the risk of a hole in it. Examples include the elegant Berger 1560 for a woman’s hand, as well as an elongated model (length 617 mm) from the Japanese company ARS. Both of them are designed for cutting roses, but Berger's handles are short, but the working and supporting blades have special lining, allowing you to grab the cut flower without touching the stalk with your second hand.
Secateurs are required here, with elongated, straight knives, convenient when mowing uneven surfaces or trimming hard-to-reach lawn places that cannot be reached with a trimmer. Often they are equipped with a telescopic bar perpendicular to the cutting plane, so that work can be done without leaning. The distance from the knives to the ground is determined by their wheel. Such a model is, for example, among the tools from the company RACO.
Grass shears on RACO handle
Designed for easy inoculation of fruit crops. Able to make a cut that allows you to accurately combine the stock and the graft as accurately as possible. Included are usually standard knives, nozzles in the shape of the letters U, V and Omega. When choosing pruners of this type, you should not chase the advertised opportunity to graft cuttings of more than 10 mm. Well known brands: Arti Tec, Due Buoi.
ArtiTec Grafting Secateurs with 3 knives
The main purpose of pruning ornamental shrubs, landscape design, landscape works, as well as the creation of topirovye masterpieces. It resembles large scissors with cylindrical, often telescopic handles and knives, up to 20–25 cm long. However, the market now offers a large assortment of brush cutters powered by batteries, a household electrical network, or a gasoline engine. The cutting part of them is very similar to the knives of a hairdresser's typewriter. Electric brush cutters are offered by Bosh, Makita, Skil, Metabo, gasoline - Husqvarna, Huter, Ryobi.
Bosch electrically driven brush cutter
Reaches, at times, length more than two meters. The bar can be telescopic or solid, even homemade. Often used in urban landscape design for the care of green spaces. Some models are equipped in the working part with a hacksaw for cutting extra thick branches. Currently, electric and gasoline models are very popular. By design - it is a miniature chainsaw on the long rod. Practically all companies engaged in power tools produce them.
Gardena telescopic electric high-cutter
Powerful tool, with elongated handles, sometimes equipped with a lever amplifier, capable of cutting branches up to 4–5 cm thick. Indispensable for a garden or a park where there are a lot of old trees.
Professional secateurs from amateur differ not only high quality and price. Some companies, in order not to buy in exchange for a worn out old tool, produce repair kits, spare parts, and sometimes even kits for modification. Many simply don’t think about these pleasant things.
How to sharpen the cutting edge depends on the quality of the cut, and durability - on the properties of the metal. However, a good blade is not only high carbon or alloyed tool steel, protected from corrosion. It must have a Teflon or chrome alloy anti-adhesive coating that prevents the formation of sticky plaque from the sap of the plants.
Hand tools imply the presence of handles, on the convenience of which productivity of labor largely depends. Plastic is typical for cheap products, but it is very uncomfortable and slippery. Rubber inserts on plastic handles - this is better. And although reinforced fiberglass with polyamide is also not bad, but aluminum handles with rubber pads are recognized as the most comfortable, durable and ergonomic. In addition, they must be provided with rings, like a scissors or an emphasis so that the hand does not slip to the blades during operation, and for safe transportation they must have a lock (lock), which allows to securely close the blades.
The design of the handles should exclude injuries during operation, so it is desirable that the distance between them be large enough. Model pruners with turning handles are very convenient - sometimes this greatly facilitates the work and prevents the appearance of corns.
Spring is a rather important element. It depends on how easily knives unfold, and, accordingly, productivity. There are two types of springs classic spiral and ribbon. The second are more reliable and safe in work.
К приятным мелочам относится и то, что многие серьёзные компании выпускают секаторы для левшей и с различными размерами ручек, дабы покупатель мог подобрать себе инструмент по руке.
Остро заточенное лезвие из хорошей стали даёт красивый ровный срез, но рано или поздно, оно всё равно затупится. Иногда эффект тупого лезвия появляется тогда, когда на нём засохло много сока – его нужно просто смыть тёплым дезинфицирующим раствором. Если это не помогло, значит, требуется заточка.
In the simplest version, you can sharpen the pruner with a file, but for a quality tool, it is advisable to stock up with diamond bars. In order to prevent metal filings from clogging the abrasive, it is slightly moistened with water during operation.
Begin with the roughest bar, holding it along the blade from the handle to the sharp end, trying not to change its sharpening angle, which is usually 10–20 °. Sharpen from the side opposite to the plane of contact of the blades, without touching it. The middle bar is adjusted to the necessary sharpness, and the smallest ones are removed burrs, including from the contact of the blades.
Secateurs Market Overview
The Russian market of garden tools offers a very extensive selection, however, there are few leaders here. The following brands were tested on the order of the magazine “Demand”: Fiskars, Grinda, Raco, Brigadier, Gardena, Lux, Centroinstrument, Instrum-Agro.
For testing, we chose bypass pruners of approximately the same class. The preliminary rating for the price is as follows, starting with the most expensive. Relative prices:
Scope of pruners
For the first time such a tool began to be used in France in 1815, and from there the name came from it. It has become an indispensable inventory, both for amateur gardeners and in the field of professional plant care. Since then, there have been a number of improvements to the models in the direction of convenience, practicality, and also in accordance with the goals of its use.
The scope of the pruner is wide enough:
- pruning shrubs and trees to form a crown and improve plant yields,
- removal of damaged, diseased branches,
- preparation of cuttings for subsequent planting or grafting,
- flower care, flower arrangement and flower arrangement,
- cutting grass in certain areas
- processing seedlings before planting.
The main differences of pruners are the mechanisms of their work. There are two groups here:
With bypass mechanismwhen working blades move parallel to each other. They are of two types:
- Both blades are equally sharpened, according to the type of scissors. But in this case, the pruner is designed for cutting flowers, grass, young shoots. Thicker stems will not overpower such a pruner, or there will be a poor-quality cut line.
- Classic - when the upper blade has a one-sided sharpening, the most acute. The lower one is more powerful; it also has a cutting surface, but it plays the role of an emphasis more and is slightly shifted from the cutting line. This type is mainly used for cutting “live” branches, because the quality of the cut contributes to a better healing of the wounds of the plant. Secateurs with such a mechanism are most often used as universal ones.
Tip # 1: To achieve a more even cut, it is necessary, when working, to turn the tool with the upper blade to the part of the plant that remains to grow.
Anvil principle. In this kind of secateurs, the upper blade has a sharp wedge-shaped sharpening. The lower part is not a blade, but has a wide base - the anvil, which is a stop for the upper tip when compressing the tool. It is usually made of metal or durable plastic with an uneven surface to prevent the branches from slipping. Thus, this type of pruner can cut thicker branches, but the cut will be deformed due to the effect of squeezing. Therefore, it is recommended to use for dry branches.
Differentiation of models according to their purpose
The differences can also be attributed to the separation of this tool into amateur and professional. The difference between them will be not only in cost, but also in its performance: material, design, additional functions.
Additional features to facilitate the work
In order to reduce labor costs with large amounts of work or the need to trim thicker branches, you can pay attention to the following models:
- Cordless pruners whose blades are driven by pushing one lever. They are equipped with small batteries that can be recharged.
- Ratchet pruners that allow cutting thicker branches with less effort. The action is in the degree of work: during the cutting of the selected branch thickness, the tool stops three times, fixing the depth of the cut at each step by the upper blade.
What characteristics to pay attention to when choosing a secateur
First of all, it is worth knowing what the pruner consists of:
- working and supporting blade,
- a bolt and a nut that connect both parts of the secateurs to each other,
- the mechanism that opens the tool when working in the form of a spring or lever design,
- the latch, due to which the pruner is held in the closed state during off-hours.
What should be the blade
First of all, it should have a smooth and sharp sharpening, but at the same time the edge should not be fragile.
The second thing you need to pay attention to is the connection of the component parts, namely, the twisting force of the bolt and nut. They should not be twisted so that the blades have a tight turn. But at the same time clearance between them should be minimal.
The third and very important parameter is what the blades are made of. This information can be found in the instructions or description of the tool.
Pruner, garden shears or pruner?
Think it is synonymous? By no means. There is a difference between these three types of tools, both in purpose and in design. As for all devices designed for cutting branches, they can be allocated as many as seven types!
Bypass pruner. It has one knife and a plate that plays the role of an emphasis and is slightly offset from the cutting line. It damages only the cut part of the plant, because it is intended for cutting live branches of roses, a vineyard, trees and shrubs. Can also be used to remove thin dry branches.
Gardening scissors. In form and device is no different from other types of scissors, but have long handles. They injure the branches, because they are designed to cut flowers and shorten young and tender shoots.
Anvil pruner. By design it is similar to a bypass pruner, but instead of a plate it has a kind of anvil. This is a flat stop with a relief surface located on the cutting line. Designed to remove old, dry and relatively thick (up to 30 mm) branches.
Lopper It resembles a bypass pruner in the form of blades, but has longer handles. Most often up to 90 cm long, but can be equipped with telescopic handles, and then their length can be adjusted to two meters. Designed for cutting branches up to 5 cm thick and pruning tall trees. If the lopper is equipped with a ratchet mechanism - they can be cut and thicker branches.
Shrub pruner. Something like a lopper, but has longer blades. Designed for cutting live and dry branches and shrub bushes.
Graft pruner It has a figured knife, with the help of which an experienced gardener can make mirror cuts on the graft and rootstock. Trimming dry branches with such a tool is the same as nailing a microscope. It is possible, but ineffective.
Scissors for topiary. A theoretical gardener who is very far from the village can only confuse with a garden pruner. Designed for topiary shrubs, because most often has a straight and sharp blade.
General rules for the selection of pruners
In the store you can find a tool not only from different manufacturers, but also of different quality. Some Russian enterprises make secateurs made of metal and plastic of poor quality, what then to speak about the Chinese instrument? Moreover, in the “Celestial” they contrived to “forge” the garden tools of Italian, Finnish and Japanese brands. It is for this reason that in one gardener the GARDENA pruner serves years without complaints, and in the other it breaks down on the third branch.
How to understand that before you a quality pruner, and not useless trinket?
The best material for blades is hardened steel. Such a tool will regularly cut the branches without sharpening. Alternatively, stainless steel can be considered. But it is better to refuse various alloys - the blades quickly become blunt, and it’s impossible to grind them.
Ratchet mechanism for some reason became the measure of a good pruner. This is not true. Its presence in the design will be useful when removing old and thick branches, and when working with young shoots such a tool will in vain to load the hand.
Smooth plastic pens - not the best solution, I write from my own experience. With prolonged operation, corns are inevitable. It is better if they are made of aluminum and covered with rubber overlays on top. To facilitate the work of the gardener can turn the lower handle, reducing the load on the fingers, but it must adapt to it.
The sliding spring used for automatic dilution of the arms also matters. It is believed that the tape type spring is more durable than the spiral one. But in practice, it quickly becomes clogged and begins to jam.
Pay attention to the locking lock, securing secateurs in the closed position. It is better to choose a design in which the retainer is made in the form of a loop and is located on the lower part of the handle. But the clamps, having the form of "dog" and located near the blade, I was constantly let down.
At the most inopportune moment, when you balance on the steps of a ladder and with one hand hold the tree, the secateurs were fixed in the closed or half-open position.
I had to balance with double force, because on my secateur it was not so easy to remove the latch with one hand.
And the last thing I would like to say is about the method of attaching the handle to the blades. Some models have fully plastic handles that are attached to the knives by soldering. Such a pruner can cut only cardboard or young twigs up to 1 cm thick. Therefore, it is better if the whole structure is solid and the pads are on the handle.
Review of pruner models
If you are not a professional gardener, you need a pruner for different purposes - pruning grapes and roses, removing unnecessary branches of trees and shrubs - buy a bypass pruner. He will cope with most tasks.
Unfortunately, I can not make a complete review of all the main models of this tool. In the Russian market, I counted eight of them, and their cost varies from 100 to 1500 rubles. But I found a study by the Russian Institute of Consumer Testing, in which all the main models of the instrument were tested in detail. I want to share the results of the work of the institute with you.
Raco RT53 / 143S pruner
Produced in Germany, on the official website of the representative indicated the cost of 672 rubles. The length of the tool is 21 cm, the maximum thickness of the branch being cut, according to the specifications, is 20 mm.
- Hardened carbon fabric blades coated with Raco-Hitekflon-R anti-corrosion coating.
- Aluminum handles coated with vinyl.
- The lower handle is swivel, rotates 90 ° when pressed, but only in one direction. When breeding handles returns to its original position.
- The blades are fixed with a metal latch, the design is reliable - the pruner does not open when dropped and hit.
- Return spring tape type.
The institute experts made 30 slices with each shears and, in their opinion, it is best to work with this model. At the same time, the cut is even, the rest of the wood is not injured.
Summary: convenient and safe secateurs of an average price category. Best suited for pruning grapes, caring for roses and forming the crown of young garden trees. But it will be inconvenient for women to work with this model because of the serious load on the fingers and hand - the weight of the instrument is almost 300 g.
Gardena Comfort Secateurs (8788)
Another model from the German manufacturer, the average cost of which is 1,300 rubles. For the price of Gardena Comfort, you can safely call the flagship review - it is the most expensive tool. But is it worth the money? This is what the institute experts found out when testing.
- The length of the tool is 19.4 cm, weight - 225 g, the maximum thickness of the cutting branches, according to the instructions, 2 cm.
- The blades are made of durable hardened steel and treated with a special coating that does not allow the blades to stick together from the sap of the plants.
- Handles from an alloy of aluminum, are covered with enamel, have the rubberized slips.
- The latch in the form of a plastic latch, is located uncomfortable.
- Return spring tape type.
When testing, it turned out that working with this tool is convenient. The cut quality is about the same as that of the Raco RT53 / 143S. The handles themselves are equipped with a width adjustment device, that is, the pruner can be adjusted to almost any hand. The design, in which the blades are angled to the handles, enhances productivity and, at the same time, reduces the applied forces.
Summary. Excellent pruner that can be used for long work. It could well be called a professional tool if it were still possible to regulate the degree of pressing of the blades. Suitable for working with flowers, young shrubs and trees. Among the shortcomings can be noted uncomfortably located retainer - you can pinch your fingers.
Secateurs Fiskars 111340
The model of the Finnish manufacturer, the cost of which on the website of the Fiskars distributor is 1,580 rubles. Tool for skillful and gentle hands. Judging by the weight (130 g), then they can work even a child, but under the condition of careful attitude.
- The length is 17.2 cm, the maximum allowable thickness of the branch being cut is 2 cm.
- The blades are thin, made of stainless steel, have a Teflon coating (not contaminated).
- The handles are made of synthetic plastic, reinforced with fiberglass reinforcement.
- The fixer, as in the previous model, is plastic.
- Lever type return mechanism.
Immediately upon inspection, it turned out that the handles did not move apart at an acute angle, like other types of secateurs, but parallel to each other. This feature, which became possible due to the use of a lever-type return mechanism, makes it possible to somewhat reduce the load on the hands without losing the cutting force.
During the tests, it turned out that thin blades, giving an acceptable cut, are not strong enough. One of the samples they broke on a dry branch, while its thickness did not exceed the maximum allowable. It is possible that this situation is an exception to the rule, at least in the forums I did not notice a particular negative towards “fiscars”.
Summary. A good option for use in the country. Due to the low weight it is convenient to work with pruners, hands do not get tired, the cuts are even. Among the shortcomings - not enough durable blades. In addition, the pruner occasionally stripped off the bark. This tool is suitable for trimming thin branches of roses, grapes, some shrubs. It is undesirable to use for the formation of the scion and rootstock.
Centroinstrument TsI 0235
Secateurs Russian company, but produced in Asia and Europe. Probably for this reason, the reviews about the "Centroinstrument" are quite contradictory. Some gardeners complain about the mediocre build quality, others, on the contrary, admire the acquisition. The cost is 600 p.
Characteristics, according to official documentation.
- Weight 250 g, length 20.4 cm, diameter of branches up to 2.3 cm.
- Blades of Japanese tool steel, no protective coating.
- Handle material is not specified by the manufacturer. It is known that the coating is rubberized.
- Clamp type plastic heck.
- Spring-type return mechanism.
Already at the stage of inspection it turned out that the retainer is unreliable - it does not hold the blades in the closed position with a slight impact. It is easy to work with the tool, the branches are cut off without effort, but the blades cling a little to the healthy bark.
Summary. A sort of middling. In my opinion, the price is unreasonably high. True deficiencies, in addition to the above, could not be identified. Suitable for garden work in the country, it can be used by a man and a woman.
I have reviewed in this small review those models that are heard by gardeners. Various nameless and little-known models practically do not differ from each other in build quality and characteristics.
Let's sum up
If you are interested in other tools - subscribe to my group in contact. I publish in it announcements of new articles, and you do not miss the latest materials. Or add the site to your bookmarks, I try to update the material every week.
I hope that now you have an idea how to choose a garden pruner. I will add only one tip. Do not buy such a tool in the online store, except for those models that you had. The handles should lie comfortably in your hand, only then will you be comfortable working.
What is a garden pruner for a landscape designer and gardener?
Spring gardening requires a number of tools and some skills.
A pruner is a tool specifically designed to work in the garden for pruning plants. With it, you can cut them completely (perennials) or partially (branches and shoots of trees and shrubs, flowering buds in annual and perennial flowers).
Having thought about buying this garden assistant, you need to determine why you need it at the site in the first place, what kind of work you plan to do with a secateur and whether it can be replaced with something.
В связи с тем, что секатор необходим прежде всего для вмешательства в скелетные ветви растения, рассмотрим виды самого вмешательства — стрижку и обрезку.
Как выбор зависит от цели использования
Какие виды обрезки и стрижки существуют:
- формовочная стрижка и обрезка: проводится с целью создания и сохранения искусственной формы кроны или равномерного расположения скелетных ветвей, в случаях загущения кроны для её прореживания, для усиления цветения или плодоношения.
Формовочная стрижка предназначена для эстетических нужд ландшафтного дизайнера
Sanitary pruning is done as needed.
Pruning activities are usually carried out in the spring before the start of sap flow or in the fall after leaf fall. There are weak, medium and strong pruning (shortening to 1/4, 1/3 and 1/2 of the length of the shoot, respectively).
These are the criteria put forward in the selection of pruners for working with fruit trees: https://diz-cafe.com/tech/sekator-dlya-obrezki-derevev.html
As a rule, having arrived in the spring after the snow has descended on the site, you proceed to a thorough examination of the trees and shrubs for the sick, dead, burnt in the sun specimens. If in the fall you did not have time to cut the faded perennials in flower beds and flower beds, it's time to do it in early spring - remove what is left of them. Here we just need a pruner. The lignified stems of perennial herbaceous plants, protruding from the ground after the snow melted, they are perfectly cut off. Do not do without a pruner and with a sanitary pruning of roses - opening a winter shelter, see how well your frost and cold roses survived. If frozen out or sprung shoots are revealed, cut them with shears to a healthy tissue. It is better to do this after bud break, when the extent of damage is already clearly visible. In hydrangea paniculata and tree cut dry inflorescences, if not done so before the arrival of winter. Such activities are just related to sanitary pruning.
The tool must be kept clean and sharp.
In the course of further inspection of the site, you may see that it would be nice to return some decorative shrubs to some bushes. This can be done by applying anti-aging pruning, by shortening all the shoots to a level of 5 cm from the soil. When pruning “on a stump”, a pruner may also be useful to you, but only if the diameter of the branches is no more than two centimeters, and the bush is small and not very old. The decorative effect can be prolonged in such a way as to the white and seamy bearing. The varieties of white derena have beautiful bright reddish shoots in the winter, while the shoots have greenish-green. But such an interesting accent in the garden can be observed only in young shoots of deren, so rejuvenating pruning is often applied to it. For an old bush, whose branches are more than 2 cm in diameter, it is better to use a garden saw or a lopper, the secateurs here will be weak.
Garden files and other accessories are used to remove thick branches.
The next item is a molding haircut or trim. This is a fairly large field for creativity associated with the implementation of the gardener's ideas when creating topirovanyh forms or hedges in the garden, the annual pruning of flowering shrubs and roses. In addition to the aesthetic effect, molding pruning is also used for fruit plantations, when central conductor and skeletal branches of the tree are formed. Proper molding fruit is necessary for their abundant flowering and fruiting. It allows you to avoid some of the diseases arising from the thickening of the crown, creates certain amenities during harvesting.
When creating large garden forms of one pruner there will be obviously not enough.
A gardener uses a whole arsenal of helper tools to perform mold cutting and pruning operations: garden saws, hedge trimmers, delimbers and, of course, shears. The choice of instrument depends on the specific case. For example, when you need to form a young bush, shorten the annual growth on the shoots of a hydrangea tree or paniculata, remove the extra twigs growing inside the crown, remove the tops or root growth, cut off the translation - all this can be done with a secateur.
One or two tools are enough for some jobs.
For other labor-intensive work, such as the formation of hedges or topiary, maintaining the crown shape of an adult plant, the pruner can serve only as a finishing touch after the use of heavy artillery - all kinds of brush cutters or trellis scissors.
Shpalerny scissors will be useful for work with more powerful shoots
How to choose a good pruner for garden work
Whatever work on trimming or cutting in the country house you performed, always try to make it a high-quality professional tool. It should reduce the pressure on the hand, make a clear neat cut, while remaining sharp for a long time and in no case chew branches.
Send pruning pruner send in the trash without pity
Now the market of garden equipment is represented by many companies engaged in, among other things, the manufacture and sale of pruners. In large chain stores such as OBI or LEROY MERLIN, “Your Home”, you can find secateurs that are not professional but can be suitable for a gardener for simple and infrequent pruning operations, usually sanitary: remove faded buds, cut a bouquet , remove the broken branch, trim the annual growth, etc. This category includes the majority of secateurs sold on the market. Products from Gardena, Fiskars, Geolia, LUX, Folf-Garten are widely represented at a price of 50 rubles. (the most unpretentious) to 5000 rubles. (premium). If you do not plan to work as a professional topiary and you haven’t planted kilometers of hedges on the plot, not allocated a hectare of land for a fruit garden, you can safely look at them and pick up a decent copy for “taste, color and afford”.
It is not necessary to purchase expensive tools for spring pruning of fruit bushes, but it will last you longer.
Another thing is if your profession is a gardener or a master of topiarny art, which implies frequent and lengthy operations on forming and cutting plants, as well as on sanitary pruning throughout the season in different areas of customers. In this case, without a professional tool you just can not do. The professional category includes pruners and other garden tools from the following manufacturers:
- ARS Corporation,
- Saboten (Japan),
- FELCO (Switzerland),
- BAHCO (SNA Europe, Sweden).
Why do I suggest you consider buying these companies' secateurs? These are companies with years of experience, specializing in the manufacture and maintenance of garden tools, the history of the production of some of them begins over 100 years. A large number of plants around the world, streamlined production process, the introduction of new technologies and knowledge of the specifics of the use of equipment - their distinguishing feature. Innovative design solutions, high-quality steel, ergonomics, reliability and a low percentage of defects in production - all this should undoubtedly please the buyer.
The model from ARS is convenient for the gardener and the summer resident
Pay attention to the model of the pruner VS-7Z at a cost of about 4,000 rubles., Weighing 212 grams and the locking system with one hand. Suitable for use in nurseries and in private gardens, as well as in fruit farms. Made of forged steel with chrome-plated coating, rubberized grip.
Model SILKY Okatsune 103 from the famous Japanese manufacturer
Okatsune 103 (200 mm). Model from one of the market leaders in Japanese garden tools. Suitable for seasonal garden work as well as bonsai. Weight 230 grams, cost in the same price range - about 4,000 rubles. The red and white pen is easily noticeable in the grass when lost. Ease and at the same time high reliability due to the use of high carbon steel Izumo Yasugi.
FELCO 7 secateur made of hardened steel
Felco 7. Sekator of a well-known Swiss brand worth a little more than its Japanese counterparts (about 4,600 rubles). Provides increased ergonomics and ease of use thanks to the rotating handle, the inclined cutting head and the shock absorber with a buffer. Weight 290 grams, hardened steel.
You can look at other manufacturers and their models on websites selling garden tools on the Internet, and choose for themselves suitable for their needs.
Rules for working with garden cutting tools
Whichever pruner you would choose for yourself, there are a few rules that must be followed in order for the plant to more easily survive the process of cutting or trimming:
- Never clip unnecessarily.
- Observe the prescribed pruning time for each plant, sanitary pruning is allowed during the whole season.
- Look at the materials on the methods of trimming and do it correctly (shortening the kidney, cutting "on the ring").
- Do not cut in windy or frosty weather (not lower than –5 ° С).
- Shear less than you want.
- Never use a blunt instrument.
- When forming a hedge, take into account the height of its height over the season from last year (make new cuts at a distance from the old within 5–10 cm), to maintain the shape of plants, prune regularly from year to year.
- Immediately after planting, sanitary pruning of specimens older than 1 year is allowed; other types of pruning are allowed only one year later.
- In one year, remove no more than 1/3 of the branches from the length of the shoot, leaving at least 2/3 of the leaves, especially on the lower tiers.
- Do not cut coniferous plants at temperatures above 25–30 ° C.
- Heal wounds even from the smallest cuts with garden pitch, Rannet garden paste or lacquer-Etisso balsam.
Etisso Balsam Lacquer is intended for the rehabilitation of plants that have succumbed to shearing and shaping
In conclusion, I would like to add that the secateurs for garden work should be safe, well-sharpened, durable and comfortable. Do not forget to care for them using special lubricants. Regularly clean and follow the sharpness of the blades, observe safety precautions when working with any garden tools. The more closely you follow him, the longer he will serve you. In turn, the cleanliness of the blades is necessary to prevent the spread of fungal and viral diseases from one plant to another.
Also do not forget to properly store the tool. Here are some storage tips: https://diz-cafe.com/tech/kak-xranit-instrumenty.html
I hope my advice will help you determine the choice of a secateur. I wish you early spring and the long-awaited opening of the summer season!