On the gardens and flower gardens you can find just a huge number of different flowering outdoor plants. Many of them are familiar to us in the form of potted indoor flowers, but often these crops can be grown without problems in open ground. Magnificent geranium is a plant with beautiful flowers that grows in groups and reaches a height of up to half a meter. Inflorescences geranium bright purple with the presence of dark veins. Flowering begins around June.
Description and history of occurrence
Magnificent geranium includes about 400 species and grows in numerous regions of Europe, Asia and America. The difference between the species of magnificent geranium is in the shape, size and color of the leaves.
All varieties of this geranium are quite resistant to adverse weather conditions. Geranium leaves are very lush, and when the sun hits them in the autumn, you can see how they shimmer in different colors, from light green to bright green.
In addition, the leaves are five and seven-fingered, can reach ten centimeters in length, there are notches along the edges, and hairy to the touch. Geranium flowers in diameter are up to three centimeters, collected in umbellate inflorescences with sparse ends.
As a rule, they have red, crimson and purple colors, there are several species with white flowers. Blossoms throughout the month. The root system of a magnificent geranium is characterized by a large capacity of length; as a result, the plant in a short time grows over the entire area intended for planting.
Popular varieties and photos
Among the popular varieties of magnificent geraniums, the following are distinguished:
- Alan Mayes. The plant is a bush in the form of a hemisphere. In height the bush can reach 40 centimeters, and in width - 35 centimeters. The flowers are blue with dark blue veins. The diameter of a single flower is about 4.5 centimeters.
- Blue Blood. The plant is presented in the form of a dense bush of a rounded shape, the height and width of geraniums can reach 30 centimeters. The flowers of this variety are characterized by blue color with dark blue, almost black veins. The diameter of a single flower is 4.5 centimeters.
- Mrs. Kendall Clark. Geranium is presented in the form of a lush bush, whose height reaches 60 centimeters. Flowers varieties have a bluish-blue color with a pinkish tint.
- Rosemoor. Geranium is presented in the form of a bush of medium size, height up to 45 centimeters, width up to 35 centimeters. The flowers of the plant have a lilac-blue color with dark blue veins, up to 5 centimeters in diameter.
Rules and tips on planting and care
Since the magnificent geranium is sterile (does not give fruit and seeds), its planting is possible only by dividing the rhizome. When planting the cuttings in the holes prepared in advance, you need to remember to pour a mixture of earth, peat and sand to the bottom, this will contribute to faster rooting.
Geranium is desirable to plant in the form of islands: several bushes nearby, and then several more bushes at a distance of about 40 centimeters. This is necessary so that the plants during the growth of the root system, do not interfere with each other.
The soil for planting a magnificent geranium should be neutral or acidic, the soil should contain peat and sand, since they have a beneficial effect on plant growth (as mentioned above, you can simply add a mixture of these components to the pit during the planting of geranium).
In the autumn period, humus and other mineral fertilizers should be added to the soil.
How to care?
The plant is positive for wateringtherefore, it is necessary to control the condition of the soil in detail and to prevent it from drying out. However, if for some reason the plant has not been irrigated for several weeks, it will still survive, as it is resistant to various temperature changes.
Gorgeous geranium blooms well in summer, but requires special care from autumn to spring. At this time, the plant is preferably introduced into a state of rest, not watering and not fertilizing.
For greater flowering, in the spring should pinch the tops of the plants. After plucking, the tops should be preserved and rooted to reproduce the flowers. During the period after planting the soil should be mulched to reduce the amount of loosening.
This plant loves loose environment and light soil. Therefore, after each watering should loosen the ground around the roots of the plant. Caring for a plant also includes periodic pruning of a flower; in particular, wilted buds should be removed.
Thanks to this pruning, flowering will last much longer. Autumn should remove yellowed leaves. The plant does not like transplantation, and even without it is able to grow in the same place for 10 or even 15 years.
Fight against diseases and pests
Gorgeous geranium, like any plant, is subject to various diseases and pests. Among the most common plant diseases are the following:
- Rot. This kind of illness can occur due to improper care. Manifested in the form of brown spots on the surface of the plant. To combat this disease, the affected areas of the plant should be removed or treated with special preparations.
- Tomato wilting. Manifested in the form of annular spots. To overcome this disease you need to use drugs that contain chemical elements. If the defeat of the bushes is too strong, then the best option is to completely remove the plant with the help of burning, subsequent treatment of the soil, where this plant grew, is mandatory.
Among the most common pests are the following:
- Aphid. To overcome it, you should use special tools to combat these insects.
- Whitefly. A remedy called Spark fights them perfectly.
- Caterpillars The only way to remove them is to do it manually.
As noted above, the plant can not be propagated using seeds, so the only method is the separation of rhizomes, which is carried out in early March or late August.
At the same time, it is possible to divide the rhizome only when the magnificent geranium has reached the age of 5-7 years.
In order to divide the bush it is necessary to chop off the necessary part of the bush along with the rhizome with a rag or a spadeand then dig deep, the root should be at a depth of at least 20 centimeters. At the bottom of the pit, where to dig the bush should be placed manure or compost. The plant is watered.
Agrotechnics growing plants
During the cultivation of a magnificent geranium, only manual work can be used. When planting, you will need various garden accessories such as pruner, shovel, watering can and others.
Gorgeous geranium is a plant that attracts attention not only with bright flowers, but also with unusual foliage. It is not too whimsical in growing and planting.
It can grow on any parts of the terrain, due to resistance to changes in weather conditions. With minimal care and watering, it will quickly grow and please the eye from mid-spring to the end of the summer.
Not particularly prone to disease, but it is easily cured if they occur. When fertilizer does not require much effort, loves peat and river sand.
Garden perennial geranium is a winter-hardy shrub, less often evergreen. The root system may have rhizomes or tubers. It grows well branching bush height from 10 to 75 cm. With all this, the bush holds its shape well. heavily cut leaf plates are colored, depending on the variety, in colors from silver to dark green. Leaf size ranges from small to large.
The buds are located on the stem in several pieces and can be collected in inflorescences. Blossoming simple flowers have five petals, but there are also terry. The overall size of the flower can reach 5 cm in diameter. The rim is painted in different colors. There are white, pink, lilac-pink or blue flowers.
The corollas of geranium varieties can be two-color with darker veins and rich shades.
Flowers of red-brown geranium can be almost black. The disadvantage of the crane is thin and fragile stems, which can be damaged by strong wind or rain. Breeders are addressing this deficiency.
Geranium can grow in one place for a long time, tolerates frost and drought, is resistant to diseases, is not damaged by pests, does not suffer from weeds, retains its attractiveness even without flowers and blooms for a long time. Pass by so many virtues with a minimum of drawbacks can a rare grower - amateur.
What varieties and varieties of geranium can be advised to grow on your site?
Reproduction of perennial garden geraniums
It is very easy to propagate garden geraniums. The most common ways are the division of the bush, cuttings and seeds. Geranium growing on the site multiplies self-sowing. The ubiquitous ants spread the seeds around the site where the seeds germinate safely. It is impossible to control self-seeding, which means that it must be taken in hand.
Seed propagation of garden geraniums
The reproduction of perennial geranium seeds is very long and laborious. The disadvantage of this breeding is the unpredictability of the result - varietal characteristics are not transmitted through the seeds. On the other hand, plants grown from seeds may differ from their parents for the better. So derive new varieties of breeders. So, we will feel like breeders.
- We take fresh geranium seeds. During storage, seeds quickly lose their germination. Collecting seeds is a whole ritual: choose the best flowers on the bush, put gauze bags on them so that the seeds do not scatter.
- Collected seeds can be sown in open ground at the end of summer or towards winter. Purchased seeds are sown in boxes or pots in April.
- Prepared containers filled with a mixture of peat and sand.
- Seeds are laid out on the surface of the moistened planting mixture.
- Capacity covered with a film, creating a greenhouse.
- Before the emergence of seedlings, the care of crops is reduced to the moistening of the substrate and ventilation.
- Emerged shoots gradually accustom to the drier air of the room.
- Plants with 2-3 true leaves are planted in separate pots.
- In the open air seedlings are planted in the spring of next year.
Geranium breeding by dividing the bush
Multiplying the crane by dividing the bush, we simultaneously achieve two goals: we update the old bush and get several new ones.
You can divide the bush in early spring or autumn. Preferably in the fall. At this time, the plant is at rest and easier to transfer this operation. The procedure is as follows:
- Prepare the wells for landing. They should be 15 cm larger in size than the root system of the future bush. Neighboring bushes planted at a distance of at least 30 cm.
- Dig a shrub to be divided.
- Shake excess soil off the roots.
- Find on the roots of the kidney renewal. They must be healthy and dense.
- Divide the rhizome into parts with a sharp cutting tool so that each part has at least one kidney renewal.
- Partially fill the prepared pits with a mixture of peat and sand. Transfer delenki to the pit, straighten the roots and sprinkle with planting mixture.
- Pour the hole, compacting the soil. Top with the rest of the mixture. In final form, the kidneys should be at the same depth as in the same place.
Planting geraniums in a permanent place
Planting material received or purchased and it is necessary to properly put it in a permanent place.
It should be planted in a well-lit place, and the openwork shadow at noon will not hurt. Groundwater at the site should not be very close to the surface. High varieties of geraniums will look beautiful on an average and background flower beds or flower beds, and low-growing varieties will serve as a border for the tracks.
The crane has no special requirements for the soil. You can get plenty of flowering on any fertile soil, if it is moisture and breathable, and the planting pit to have good drainage. Preparing for planting, the soil in the selected area is deep (2 spade shovels) dug up.
In the mixture for filling the landing pit is useful to add peat and compost.
By planting perennial geraniums in a flower garden in central Russia is better to start from mid-May. Soil begin to prepare a few days before planting. The plot is dug up, make peat, compost and, if necessary, sand.
The landing pit is dug deeper than the length of the roots of the seedling for 15 centimeters or more. At the bottom lay a layer of drainage. Suitable claydite, broken brick, crushed stone or small stones. On the drainage pour a layer of planting mixture in the form of a slide. The roots of the plant gently spread on the surface of the nutrient mixture and instilled. Planting watered, slightly shaking the seedling - so the soil evenly penetrates between the roots. The soil around the plant is mulched with peat or sawdust. When planting several geraniums, the distance between them is kept at least 25 cm.
Even a careless plant such as a geranium is more lush and more abundant when it is given at least minimal attention.
Watering. Watering this plant should be moderate, but regularly. Most often this should be done immediately after landing and in the first months in a new place. Will thank geranium flowers and moisture during dry periods. Leaves drooping in the heat will recover quickly. Spray the plant is not necessary.
Top dressing. Geranium does not have a special need for regular fertilization. It will be enough, made during the planting of peat and compost. On fertilizing with mineral fertilizers during active growth, it will respond with abundant and long flowering.
Crop. Perennial geranium bushes can be periodically cut by removing faded buds and shaping the bush and removing yellowed leaves. Evergreen species of plants can winter without pruning.
Transfer. Frequent transplants of geraniums are not needed. At one place it can grow up to 10 years, after this period the bush can be transplanted to another place. At a new place, a sapling will take root faster if transplanted into a period of rest.
Diseases and pests
Diseases on geraniums found a little. Bacterial rot and tomato wilt may occur. Brown spots or rings appear on the affected bushes. Small foci of disease are treated with copper-containing agents, and with a large spread of infection, the bushes are cut, the tops are burned, and the soil at the growth site is disinfected with copper sulphate or equivalent.
They spoil the appearance of planting geraniums aphid, whitefly and caterpillars. They are found on the Crane rarely. You can destroy them with any insecticide or decoction of herbs.
Use of geraniums in landscape design, flower garden, partners
Perennial geranium in the flower garden is indispensable. Numerous species and varieties of this plant allow you to choose the ideal plant for each case.
- For creating curbs around flower beds and garden paths, geranium is perfect. Attractive spots will create small-tailed geranium. Outskirts of shrub plantings will be decorated with bushes of blood-red geranium. This species organically looks in natural gardens.
- Malay and large root geraniums are excellent ground cover plants.
- Stony hills will decorate ashen and Dalmatian geraniums.
- Perennial garden geranium feels great anywhere and is combined with many ornamental plants.
- In flower beds, geranium perfectly complements the milky peony and soft cuff. Varieties of plants with blue flowers create a harmonious composition with white, yellow and pink roses.
- The harmonious combination is obtained from the neighborhood of geraniums and anhuzy of azure or flax for many years.
- Under shrubs with openwork crown, geranium will create an attractive composition with astilba, peach bells, host, ferns and ornamental grasses.
Plant a geranium in your garden and you will get an unpretentious, flowering plant that is beautiful not only in itself, but also in combination with other inhabitants of flower beds.
The difference between garden geranium from room (pelargonium)
There are many differences between pelargonium (room geranium) and true geranium, despite their belonging to the same family. South Africa is considered the birthplace of pelargonium. Geranium is home to countries with a temperate climate - the Mediterranean coast, forests of Belarus, mountainous regions of the Caucasus, Central Asia, some areas of Siberia and the Far East.
Geranium can tolerate frosts, grows well in the open field without digging for the winter. Pelargonium is an indoor flower, if it is planted in the ground, it is only in summer, and in winter it must be dug out and transferred to winter quarters in the room.
The seeds of the geranium look similar to the nose of a crane, which is probably why the plant was called a word, which translated from Greek means “crane” (geranios). А вот пеларгония в переводе с того же греческого означает «аист» (Pelargonium). Как аист и журавль принадлежат к одному семейству, так и герань с пеларгонией представляют род гераниевых.
Объединил в одну группу эти два растения Карл Линней. Until 1738, these plants were not united into one genus, but it was during these years that Pelargonium (and everyone knew it as geranium) gained crazy popularity among the English. It was actively used in landscape design, the creation of famous gardens in the English style, and the famous naturalist decided to combine these two species in one genus.
Despite the fact that geranium and pelargonium are representatives of one genus, along with the similarity between them there are many differences. The most important confirmation that these are different plants is that they do not interbreed.
They have different flowers and leaves. Geranium flowers are most often single inflorescences, consisting of 1-5 flowers. Pelargonium has large umbellate inflorescences of flowers of irregular geometric shape.
Geranium is beautiful not only for its flowers, but also for its leaves. Large in size, unusual shape of the leaves (palchatobrazdelnye or palchatolopostrostnie) perfectly combined with beautiful flowers.
Geranium has no red flowers, and geranium has no blue flowers. Although it must be said that with the efforts of modern breeders, varieties with such color of flowers were bred.
Below is a small comparative table of geranium and pelargonium.
Geranium species and varieties with photos
Garden or real geranium, unlike its unlike sister, pelargonium was not so popular among gardeners. The reason for this unpopularity was not very large flowers, heavily carved leaves. But lately, the popularity of garden geranium has increased many times, because in the group design this shrub looks just great. Due to its qualities - frost resistance, unpretentiousness in care, it has become very popular in landscape design.