Feed for rabbits
If you feed the rabbits incorrectly, that is, what gets under the arm, then it will be impossible to get tasty meat and high-quality skin. Detailed information on how and how to feed rabbits at home can be found in this article.
A full-fledged diet for these animals should contain all the useful vitamins and trace elements that are contained not only in fresh and green feed, but also in feed.
Among the advantages of feeding feed should be highlighted:
- simple transportation and storage
- the right amount of nutrients
- optimal balance of energy-protein ratio,
- quick weight gain
- saving time on farm maintenance,
- minimization of funds for the purchase of feed.
In addition, the introduction of a combined feed into the diet reduces the risk of gastrointestinal diseases in animals, which develop as a result of ingestion of toxins affecting many vegetable and cereal crops.
What is better - grain or feed
Grain is one of the main food of rabbits. The best product for them is oats, it contains many nutrients.
In addition, oats are dietary, and taking it as a basis for feeding the animals can not be afraid of the development of obesity.
Rabbits can eat only grain. But, firstly, it will increase the cost of the feeding process, and secondly, it will complicate this procedure. In addition, the farmer will be difficult to obtain high-quality meat and skin.
And the next article tells about how to make a drinking bowl for rabbits.
Is it possible to feed rabbits with one feed?
The recipe for proper nutrition of the rabbit - quality feed
The composition of the granulated feed includes all types of concentrated feed, vitamins and mineral supplements..
Many farmers translate rabbits to feed only feed. To improve its composition, probiotics and coccidiostats (medicinal substances) are added to prevent the animals from developing coccidiosis (the liver and the intestines of the rabbit are affected).
Types and composition of feed
There is a lot of feed for rabbits. Some are used for fattening meat breeds of animals, others are acquired for young individuals, and still others for females on demolitions or during lactation. Feed concentrates are the main type of feed for rabbits.
Compound feed recipes for rabbits
The specific weight of concentrated feed in annual consumption reaches 50%. The group of concentrated combined feed includes the following grains:
Daily allowance of feed
The daily feeding rate of rabbits depends on the breed, season, and physiological characteristics of the animals. When mixed feeding in the normal state, females and males per day should:
- In summer: green food 450-550 g., Concentrated feed 50-60 g.
- In winter: fresh food 200-250 g., Concentrated 60-70 g. And hay 110-160 g.
When feeding with complete granulated feed, adults are fed 3-4 times a day. Consumption rate - 250 g per head. In the diet of pregnant rabbits should be present:
- fresh feed 600-750 g., concentrated feed 70-90 g.,
- during lactation: green fodder 1200-1500 g., concentrated feed 130-160 g., hay 250-300 g.
From the following video You will learn how to make feed for rabbits at home:
Compound feed for rabbits, in what proportions to give
- Compound feed in the diet of the decorative rabbit is only 20-30%, grass, hay, herbal briquettes - 70-80%.
- Compound feed in the diet of rural rabbits in a different ratio, they need to spend a lot of energy in the winter or summer.
The winter ration of a productive rabbit for intensive fattening consists of the following main components:
- concentrates (mixed fodder, grain of different types) - 65%
- rough (hay, branches) - 20%
- succulent feed (roots) -15%
The summer diet of the productive rabbit consists of the following main components:
- concentrates (mixed fodder, grain of different types) - 65%
- green mass (grass) - 35%.
Rabbit food, how to apply correctly
The ratio may vary, supplemented with succulent feeds, vitamins, may increase, within certain limits when fattening for meat, but the principle must be respected. It has the health of a rabbit, based on the physiological characteristics of the digestion of this animal. Feed for rabbits with grass meal is considered complete.
Compound feed and features of digestion of a rabbit
Rabbit is not important the amount of protein, carbohydrates, fats in the feed, more important is the quality of the components
The physiology of rabbit digestion is designed in such a way that it is better for him to have low-nutritional foods for health. But there are known cases of mass death of rabbits from the components contaminated with microbes, for example, when feeding with mixed feed with unroasted meal. It is well known that the basis of the rodent's diet is a large feed with low nutritional value. Therefore, the rabbit's digestion is peculiar, different from the digestion of other animals.
- In the intestine a crawl should always be “pressure” or peristalsis to promote the chyme - the contents of the intestines. Head creates a constant chewing hay, grass, branches. The rabbit's empty intestine stops. This rabbit is different from other animals.
- The rabbit is the only animal with a cecotrophic type of digestion, called coprophagy incorrectly. The contents of the intestine are repeatedly swallowed and digested in the intestines. The basis of the cecotrophe is made up of proteins, fats, vitamins, other important components, the nutrient part of the feed (compound feed, grain). The balance of coarse and grain components, creates the conditions for normal digestion of the rabbit. Additionally, about the characteristics of rabbit digestion - eating feces.
Rabbit health is hay, and satiety is grain.
A photo. Rabbits eat grain
What will happen to the rabbit if you feed only feed
Without going into the details of the Krebs cycle, the rabbit is unable to absorb a large amount of protein and fat. Feeding mainly mixed feed, with a lack of coarse fiber (hay) leads to a sad outcome, in stages.
- Rabbit obesity - a violation of the general metabolism, reducing the reproductive qualities of animals.
- High levels of protein in the blood - a strong smell of urine due to the accumulation of oxidized nitrogenous substances, components of proteins.
- Reduced intestinal motility - a disgusting smell of litter due to fermentation and rotting of the contents, damage to the liver.
- As a result - a disease of the digestive and urinary system, often death due to improper treatment. A person thinks that in this case it is necessary to give antibiotics, probiotics, but you just need to normalize feeding, reduce concentrates, increase hay, grass, branches.
The composition of feed for rabbits, how to determine the quality of the eye
Formula feed, this is the result of research in feed production. However, when buying, you need to quickly choose feed for rabbits, pay attention.
- The shelf life of the best feed not more than 1.5 months from the date of manufacture.
- Compound feed for rabbits of good quality should consist of durable granules of gray-green, resemble the color of grass meal, brittle and dust-like fractions of granules are dangerous to the health of rabbits sensitive to respiratory diseases.
- Instead of feed, you can offer a feed mixture, ask the seller whether the meal has been heat treated, without it it is harmful to the rabbit.
- The size of the granules matter, take the granules of medium size. It has been proven in foreign studies that the best granule size for a rabbit is 1.0 mm, however, granules from 4.7 to 7.7 mm are common in Russia. Choose a smaller, hard to break.
- The weight of the feed should correspond to the weight of the main components, if more, probably added mineral components.
- Pay attention to the amount of exchange energy of the compound feed composition, approximately 0.9 mJ or 210 kcal (for full-composition) and up to 300 kcal (for concentrate).
- If there are unknown components in the feed, ask them to explain their purpose, they may be poisonous to rabbits.
Is it possible to give pork rabbits feed
Giving pork feed for rabbits can be. The composition of the feed for piglets approximately corresponds to the physiological needs of rabbits. However, in the pig feed a little grass meal and not enough salt. When feeding rabbits with pork feed, be sure to give hay and salt as an additive. Good pork feed in the form of pellets is difficult to find. Piglets are usually fed with feed placers or pellets. Better yet find granulated feed.
Is it possible to give rabbits feed for fish
Pond carp is a herbivorous fish; in aquaculture grain based feed is used. Despite the similar parameters of feed for pond carp and rabbit, for example, cereals (barley, wheat), corn and wheat bran, grass meal do not use this type of feed. Perhaps soybean meal, sunflower, others are not subjected to heat treatment in carp feed, compound feed for rabbits does not allow this. In the literature there are references to the use of fish feed for rabbits, but the brand of recipes is unknown.
Is it possible to give the rabbit chicken feed
Observing the rules of feeding feed, added to the chicken diet shell rock, it is necessary for birds. Crushed shells are involved in the grinding of solid food in the muscular stomach of chickens. For rabbits the shell rock is a harmful component, litters intestines. Use chicken feed for feeding rabbits is not worth it. However, if you manage to find feed without shell rock or silicate, you can try.
Can rabbits feed cows?
The classic example is when supplements to some animals are very useful, and to others deadly poison. Dry feed propylene glycol, glycerin, feed urea, for cows are sources of protein, and for rabbits in large volumes - a threat to health. If these additives are not in the feed, you can use.
Daily norm of compound feed for different groups
The daily need of rabbits for compound feeds changes significantly in a different season of the year, in a different physiological state (sukolnost, okrol, lactation, fattening). Below are the average norms of the daily need for animal feed in pedigree rabbits and males feeding rabbits, fattening rabbits and repair rabbits.
Approximate rate for females and males during rest
It has been scientifically proven how much feed feed a rabbit eats per day. For an adult rabbit, in the dormant period, 180 grams of feed are required, and in the period of rest 230 grams of feed per day. The source of protein for the enrichment of diets are cake, bran, meat and bone and fish meal, they are included in the composition of animal feed. Barley, potatoes, and corn should not be given to food for males during the period of mating. Good quality hay must be kept at the trough.
Approximate rate for nursing rabbits
The rabbit's milk contains a record amount of protein -16% and fat 11%, the maximum milk loss in the third week of lactation. The amount of milk excreted by the rabbit, by the third week of lactation increases from 50 to 200 ml per day. In order for the rabbit to double its body weight by the sixth day of life, to have a high growth rate in the future, the rabbit needs to be fed feed per day:
- 1-10 day of lactation approximately 300-330 grams of feed,
- 11-20 day of lactation is about 400-450 grams
- 21-30 days of lactation give about 500-550 grams of feed,
- 31-45 day of lactation give about 650-700 grams of feed.
Hay must be given plenty, constantly must be in the manger. It is proved that the optimal type of feeding rabbits at home is a combination of feed, coarse (hay, grass) and succulent feed (roots). In winter and summer, the little rabbits who received the indicated ration were many babies, they had enough milk to feed their offspring.
Approximate rate for fattening youngsters
It is known how much the rabbit needs to feed feed per day when fattening for meat to ensure a high level of weight gain. The average daily weight gain for fattening rabbit is about 35-40 grams. Consumption of feed for rabbits, can be reduced by reducing the time for fattening, adding cheap feed from the backyard.
- a rabbit aged 46-60 days should consume 120-140 grams,
- a rabbit at the age of 61-90 days should consume 190-200 grams,
- A rabbit aged 91-120 days should consume 260-280 grams.
Hay must be given without restriction. The total need for 45 days of fattening (from 46 to 120 days) amounts to approximately 16 kg of complete feed per rabbit. It is better for young animals to give hay or green mass from alfalfa, and for adult animals it is better to combine mixed fodder with timothy.
Approximate rate for young stock
Repair is called the young rabbits, which are left to check the breeding qualities. Young animals older than 70 days (the largest, corresponding to the exterior of the breed) are selected from the females that have shown the best results after fertilizing (multiplicity, milkiness). The need for feed replacement stocking is 200 grams per day, excluding hay. Repair rabbits are considered to be from 70 to 150 days old. Next, the young are assessed, rejected, or left as breeding.
Annual turnover of a herd of rabbits
The calculation of the annual turnover of the herd of rabbits primarily involves the calculation of the need for compound feeds for different age and gender groups. Rabbits during the year can be included in different groups:
- young stock (chopped, fattening)
- breeding males
- breeding females alone
- females are pregnant,
- Females are lactating.
There are different methods of calculating the turnover, we offer a simplified.
The method of calculating the annual consumption of feed for one conditional rabbit
The daily need of rabbits in the feed differs from the annual need of the rabbits in the feed. The annual calculation of the need for rabbits in the feed is not complicated, but it needs to be understood. In rabbit breeding, calculations are made based on 5 conditional pregnancies of the rabbit per year. There are 365 days in a year, of which 15 days is the rabbit period, 150 is the rabbit's pregnancy, 200 is the rabbit's lactation.
Calculate the need lactating rabbit
One lactation of a rabbit lasts 40 days on average. We have planned 5 okrolov. 40x5 = 200 days. Thus, the total period of all lactations per year is 200 days. The need for 200 days is 36.5 kg of feed (established empirically).
The annual need for feed, one conditional rabbit, is 67 kg
How many eat young fattening before slaughter
Separately, we consider the annual need of young for fattening in animal feed. Fattening of young stock lasts 70 days, begins from 40 days (weaning from the lactating female) and ends at 110 days (time of slaughter for meat). For feeding 40 days requires 14.5 kg of feed. If one rabbit is taken up to 8 rabbits, it turns out that for 8 fattening rabbits you need 116 kg of feed.
What kinds of feed can be made for rabbits with your own hands
Sometimes readers ask a question how to make compound feed with their own hands. The easiest advice is to take a ready-made recipe for feed for rabbits and mix all the ingredients. Making food for rabbits, granulated with your own hands at home is almost impossible. Too many technological intricacies and expensive equipment. A completely acceptable, home-made compound feed for rabbits is called feed mixture and mash.
- Feed mix - feed for rabbits with their own hands without a granulator, includes a mixture of feed for a rabbit in proportions close to the complete feed, but without some technological steps and components.
- Blender is a type of semi-wet food, the basis of which is rabbit food that is steamed in hot water.
Simple recipes, feed for rabbits do it yourself
Recipe feed mixture №1. The composition of the feed do it yourself for rabbits. For 100 parts of the mixture take rolled or coarsely ground oats and barley 64 pieces. Avoid finely ground grains; rabbits should not be given pulverized food. Sunflower oilcake or soybean meal (pre-fry) in an amount of 20 parts. Wheat bran is added in an amount of 15 parts. Table salt 1 part. Be sure to additionally give hay or grass in plenty, as well as root crops up to 200 grams per day.
Recipe feed mixture №2. Composition of feed for rabbits with your hands For 100 parts of the feed mixture take barley and coarse corn 15 parts, wheat bran 14 parts, sunflower oil cake 10 parts, salt 1 part, grass-legume hay (timothy and clover) 60 parts, and root crops daily The rate of 200 grams per day.
In personal subsidiary farms, a good substitute for expensive feed can be semi-wet feed - mash. Они достаточно сытные, изготавливаются непосредственно перед раздачей кроликам. Практически всегда изготавливают из трех компонентов, соотношение 60:39:1.
Рецепт мешанки №1. Запарить в горячей воде любой вид корнеплодов (картофель, кормовая свекла, брюква), к распаренным овощам добавляют комбикорм или дробленое зерно (один –два вида), в остывшую до 30 градусов смесь добавляют премикс типа «Ушастик» или «Здравур».
Рецепт мешанки №2. Steamed out beet pulp, shredded (oats, corn), wheat bran, meat and bone meal or premix (indicated above).
Recipe mash №3. Steamed cleaning vegetables, wheat bran, grass meal, milk whey or premix.
The advantages of using feed for rabbits
Mixtures representing a complete, balanced diet include all the nutrients necessary for the growth and development of the animal. Among the ready-made compositions there are both universal ones, on which it is possible to build a menu of rabbits of all ages, as well as specialized ones designed to meet the needs of animals during a certain period of life, for example, for the growth of young animals or for females awaiting posterity.
If necessary, compound feed for rabbits is changed or supplemented with vitamin and mineral supplements at the rate of necessary consumption, and hay and succulent feeds are given in parallel.
In this case, the dry type of feeding has several significant advantages. It not only helps to optimize the diet of animals on the content of proteins, fats, vitamins, fiber and other food components, but also:
- greatly simplifies the feeding procedure,
- saves time on livestock maintenance,
- helps to quickly calculate the daily rate when feeding rabbits feed,
- allows you to reduce the amount of harvested and stored in the farm feed,
- provides fast fattening
- reduces the risk of intestinal infections due to the animals eating poor quality stale or moldy food.
Although the price of feed for rabbits is higher than the cost of self-made fresh feed, but with a large population, as well as the off-season, when roots and herbs are not available in sufficient quantities, the combined mixtures will even help to save a lot.
The composition of feed for rabbits
Today trade offers a lot of options for ready-made feed mixtures with different composition, food and energy value. How to choose the best option? What is the best feed for rabbits?
In nature, the basis of the diet of animals is herbs, cereals, roots and all sorts of fruits. Therefore, it is the vegetable raw materials that make up the basis of specialized feed for rabbits of meat and fur breeds grown in home gardens and farms.
Cereals, among them corn, oats, wheat and barley, in crushed form make up from 30 to 45% of the volume of the finished product. Moreover, young, actively growing animals and a female stock of females feel the greatest need for this component of the feed. In addition to grain, the composition of compound feed for rabbits includes bran-rich protein, cake and meal, meat and bone meal or fish meal, yeast. The volume of herbal flour, if the animals do not receive a sufficient amount of hay, vitamin-herbal flour, can be up to 50% of the total number of ingredients that are used for compound feed.
Do not forget about the mineral and vitamin composition of the product. Especially important is the rational intake of calcium, indispensable in building the skeletal system, and phosphorus.
If the rabbits in the farm receive feed, it is extremely important to provide pets with fresh and clean drinking water. Its deficit threatens the violation of water-salt balance, exhaustion, and the development of diseases of the digestive system, and even the death of animals.
The composition of feed for rabbits, proposed by industrial manufacturers, provides for the presence of all the most important components for the growth of the animal, as evidenced by the appropriate recipe. Selection of a specific mixture is carried out taking into account the age of the animals, from the state, breed and conditions of detention.
Granular concentrates are easy to handle and can easily be mixed with the usual feed composition based on grain, grass and hay. Fall asleep food in the feeders.
Compound feed for rabbits with their own hands
In order not to overpay for ready-made feed, owners of rabbit breeding farms and farms can master the manufacture of compound feed for rabbits with their own hands. It is cheaper, in addition, allows you to more accurately select the composition of the product to the taste and needs of fluffy pets.
For large-scale production, it is necessary to stock up not only all the components of the future compound feed, but also some equipment for harvesting, drying and grinding grass, crushing grain, mixing and producing pellets.
In the production of compound feed for rabbits, they themselves adhere to the composition and proportions indicated in the recipe. In this case, all ingredients of plant origin must be thoroughly cleaned from foreign inclusions and dried.
Vitamin-herbal flour is made on the basis of wild herbs, tops of garden plants, foliage collected from fruit bushes and deciduous trees. To give the feed mixture the necessary elasticity and viscosity, warm water is added to the compound feed for rabbits. Mixed to the consistency of thick dough, the feed is passed through a household meat grinder or a special extruder, and then dried.
Store well-dried granules in a dry, ventilated room at room temperature, regularly checking the quality of the product.
Daily rate when feeding rabbits feed
The rabbits contained in succulent feeds can approach the feeding trough up to 80 times a day. In feed, the nutritional value is significantly higher, so the animals are saturated faster and grow well. How much feed does a rabbit eat per day?
The amount of food the animal needs depends on the composition of the product, the age and size of the rabbit, as well as the sex and time of year. During the cold period, during pregnancy, feeding and active growth, the daily rate for feeding rabbits with compound feed increases.
Feeders are replenished 2–3 times a day for adults, and rabbits are fed in fractional portions more often, up to 5–6 times a day.
If the rabbit breeder uses a mixed type of feeding, giving, in addition to the combined mixtures, hay and succulent feed, in the morning the animals feed half of the feed norm, during the day the livestock receives natural products, and in the evening the second half of the mixture gets into the feeders.
So you think about it - do rabbits need such hay?
Yes, and the rabbit grower, perhaps, such GOLDEN HAY is also not necessary. After all, if you count, it turns out the fabulous price that the breeder pays for hay. Hay costs, for example, 5.5-6 thousand rubles per ton, plus delivery of 1,500 rubles. If the hay is not very good, then after you have sifted through it, a part of it was thrown out, it was already left less and its price became higher. Well, the last stage of counting: rabbits do not eat up all the hay - part of the hay remains under the cages or in the cages. So it turns out that hay costs rabbit breeders of 10-12 thousand rubles per ton. If not more! And this is not counting the time spent on unloading hay, its bulkhead and unfolding it in cages. By the way, from under the cells, it is also necessary to harvest two to three times more manure due to hay.
We decided to conduct an experiment on our farm and from April 24, 2013, we began to feed the rabbits only with rabbit feed, not giving hay to rabbits. The probiotic is added to compound feed which we give, for the best digestion. As well as coccidiostatics, so that there is no coccidiosis on the farm. Two weeks have passed since we don’t give hay to rabbits and rabbits feel normal. After a while we will write - how our rabbits are doing and whether it is worth switching to feeding with one compound feed.
Today is the 25th of May 2013. A month has passed since we keep rabbits and rabbits without hay. Nobody died, everyone is alive and well. In the cells it became cleaner, because. the floor in the cells does not become clogged with hay and the peas of the feces fall through the gaps of the rails and through the cells of the grid. Time for feeding began to leave much less. Let's continue the experiment. By the way, our friends on a neighboring farm, whose rabbits are four times more, also began to feed their rabbits with only one rabbit feed and do not regret it. You can feed two thousand much faster, and the kids from the hay have stopped swelling up, because hay in the feeders is missing.
What to feed rabbits
And decorative. and ordinary rabbits are fed almost the same. The difference is only in the amount of feed. If meat breeds can eat a little over a hundred grams of feed per day, then pets are limited to a maximum of half of this weight. Rabbits eat often (up to 80 times a day), so there should always be fresh hay in the feeder. That it is the basis of their diet. Rabbits have no muscles that peristaltic, and hay is just the kind of food that helps the intestines work. Those. if rabbits do not eat hay every day, they can start having problems with the digestive and excretory systems.
Hay should be green with lots of leaves. It should be dry, not wet. In spring and summer, fresh grass and leaves should also be given. For example, nettle, dandelions, clover, plantain, aspen leaves, rowan, linden. But grass (fresh and dried) should not make up the entire diet of animals, especially young ones, because because of this, they can stay in development.
Rabbits also need to be given fruits, vegetables, and root vegetables: potatoes, pumpkins, apples, beets, carrots (in principle, you can only clean them). Rinse and dry thoroughly before giving your pet food. Dust and soil can damage the rodents' digestive system. Also, rabbits definitely need to be given concentrated feed: peas, oats, corn, lentils, bran, feed. Soak food in water for 10 minutes before feeding. Several times a week, pets can be given dairy products: yogurt, milk, reverse. To the animal did not hurt, add vitamins and mineral feed, as well as salt and chalk.
Regularly give the young rabbits the bark of trees: mountain ash, oak, willow, linden. It is this food that will help them grind their teeth. Decorative animals can also be given a little special feed. Before purchasing it, read the mixture on the package. A quality product should contain about 20% crude fiber, 15% protein and a maximum of 1% fat.
How to feed the rabbits
To make rabbit meat tasty and healthy, rich in vitamins and minerals, you need to know how to feed the rabbits properly.
Once, their friends rabbit experts were asked: What can you feed the rabbits? In response, they heard that they only give them hay in summer and in winter. At the same time, rabbits on their farm grow and multiply well. But in order to make rabbits grow better, they can be slaughtered for meat and skin earlier. in the diet add them to feed and cereal. Reading the articles of rabbit scholars, as well as, based on my own experience, I made a list of 6 points about how to feed rabbits:
- Food waste. Cucumber pruning, pepper residues, potato peeling, top cabbage leaves, and many more rabbits love it.
- Compound feed. It can be different, some feed the rabbits with feed for pigs and pick them up (CK-58, CK-7). But they grow fat from it, and the cells do not always allow them to run a lot. We buy special compound feed for rabbits, which will allow rabbits of meat breeds to gain the desired weight in a significantly short time.
- Grain cereal. They can be given mixed with feed. Oats, corn, and wheat can be used as grains.
- Legumes You can also mix with feed. You can feed the rabbits peas, soybeans, beans.
- Hay. This is the most important element in the diet of rabbits. It allows for better absorption of other products.
- Fresh greens, tops from carrots, from beets. Dandelion, plantain.
Thanks to this list, you know how to feed the rabbits correctly.. Do not forget, we feed them once a day.
Knowing what rabbits are fed, you also need to know how to feed the rabbits. Some rabbit experts believe that swans are poisonous, but they are not. In no case should we give the rabbits grass with dew, also tomatoes and nightshade.
All of the above simple rules will help you when breeding rabbits for meat.
I would be grateful if you share this article in social networks:
Types of feed The best feed for rabbits and their preparation for feeding
Green food - grass, fresh woody shoots and leaves are necessary for rabbits from early spring to late autumn. By including green foods in your diet, you can almost halve the amount of grain concentrates. Products from such rabbits will be much cheaper.
For feeding rabbits they use not only seeded, but wild grasses, and the more diverse the set of herbs, the better the rabbits eat them. With great gusto the rabbits eat the dandelion, plantain, meadow grass, sagebrush, field sow thistle and garden, yarrow, willow-herb, nettle, burdock, colza, wheat grass, sorrel, meadowsweet, shepherd's purse, clover, vetch, tansy and other wild grasses . But feeding them must be alternated or given as a mixture. Alfalfa, vetch, peas and other legumes are introduced into diets little by little, so as not to cause bowel disease. It is better to feed them in a mixture with cereals. It is not recommended to feed the rabbits all the time with the same grass, it is noticed, for example, that rabbits, which are fed only with dandelions, noticeably lag behind in growth. Rabbits well eat tops of carrots, beets, cabbage leaves and stalks, rhubarb, strawberry leaves. Adult to rabbits can be given and potato tops.
The earliest green food is nettle. It can be collected as soon as it appears. So that the rabbits do not “burn” with nettles, the plants are cut into small pieces (2-3 cm), put the cutting into a saucepan and pour boiling water on it. After the nettle subsides, it is flavored with a small amount of animal feed or bran and given to rabbits. It is useful to mix the chopped nettle with boiled mashed potatoes and steamed. This mash is also sprinkled with bran, cooled and distributed. From this feed, rabbits get well, the young grow rapidly, and the amount of milk increases in lactating females.
Sources: www.zol.ru, krolikoved.ru, www.kakprosto.ru, ferma-na-urale.ru, razvedenie-krolikov-v.narod.ru
The advantages of using feed for feeding rabbits
Compound feed - is, in fact, dry food, produced in domestic or industrial environments. Choosing such type of food for rabbits, it is possible to provide them with a proper diet and a balanced diet. In addition, the combined feed has several other advantages:
- together with such food, the amount of proteins, minerals and vitamins that an rabbit needs to take per day for the healthy functioning of its body enters the body of an animal,
- if a monotonous diet can lead to a decrease in immunity, then feeding animals with combined feed, on the contrary, increases it, which is why they gain weight and get sick much less often than when feeding with monotonous feed,
- feed is easy to use and prepare,
- combined feeds are generally inexpensive,
- the use of animal feed eliminates the risk of infectious diseases in animals, since this type of food, unlike natural food, is not affected by toxic fungi,
- Easy to store and transport.
For setback stock
Combined feed for young stockers aged from 30 to 135 days, should consist of:
- 30% herbal flour,
- 19% from ground oats or wheat,
- 19% from chopped barley or corn,
- 15% from wheat bran,
- 13% of soybean or sunflower meal cake,
- 2% from fish or meat meal,
- 1% of hydrolyzed yeast and meat and bone meal,
- 0.5% from table salt,
- 0.5% of bone meal.
The concentrate for adults should include:
- 30% oat and chopped wheat,
- 45% barley and ground corn,
- 12% wheat bran,
- 12% of cake and sunflower meal,
- 0.5% chalk,
- 0.5% salt.
For pregnant and lactating rabbits
In this case, it is important to provide enhanced nutrition, so the food of rabbits during pregnancy or feeding should consist of:
- 30% herbal flour,
- 20% barley,
- 20% oats,
- 13% sunflower meal,
- 12.5% wheat,
- 2% fish meal,
- 1% bone meal,
- 1% feed yeast,
- 0.5% salt.
The recipe for feed for animal breeds is almost no different from the usual recipe feed for adults:
- 35% oat and chopped wheat,
- 40% barley and ground corn,
- 12% wheat bran,
- 12% of cake and sunflower meal,
- 0.5% chalk,
- 0.5% salt.
For meat breeds
For animals raised for meat, the feed should consist of:
- grass meal (40%),
- barley (30%),
- sunflower meal (10%),
- wheat bran (5%),
- peas (8%),
- hydrolysis yeast (2%),
- molasses (2.5%),
- meat and bone meal (1.4%),
- feed phosphate (0.8%),
- salt (0.3%).
Among the advantages of granulated feed are the following:
- convenient to transport,
- can be stored longer than bulk food,
- granulation significantly reduces the amount of feed, reducing the surface area that may be adversely affected by microorganisms,
- easier to control the amount of food.
Most owners rarely use loose rabbit food, preferring granulated. The fact is that bulk food produces a lot of dust, which can cause lung diseases in animals. Однако, есть кролиководы, которые используют и такую разновидность комбикорма.
Давать такую пищу, как и гранулированный корм, лучше в кормушках. Предпочтительнее — в бункерных кормушках, чтобы пища не рассыпалась по клетке.
There are no direct contraindications to feed the rabbit with feed intended for pigs, but if you do, you need to monitor the composition of the feed: it is important that such food does not contain a lot of dust and animal protein, because an excess of these substances is harmful to rabbits.
Chicken feed, in addition to other elements that are also in the composition of feed for rabbits, contains shell rock. This component does not benefit the rabbits. Moreover, eating chicken food, these animals receive less substances necessary for their growth and development. Therefore, in order for all pets to stay healthy, it is better to buy specialized food for each species.
How to cook feed for rabbits yourself
In order to save, control the quality and freshness of the mixture, as well as to be able to regulate its composition, feed can be prepared independently.
For this you will need:
- Herbal Blend: pre-dried and shredded stalks of field plants.
- Cereals. Almost every type of grain can be used: barley, wheat, corn. You can also add beans: peas, soybeans, sunflower seeds.
- A small amount of animal and vitamin supplements: whole milk powder, meat and bone meal and fish meal, fodder yeast.
- Minerals: As a rule, use crushed chalk.
- Instruments: hay chopper, feed mill granulator (or meat grinder), mixer, drill.
- Pre-stock all the necessary ingredients in the right ratio (depending on which individuals such food is intended for).
- Grind cereals with a crusher or mixer.
- Combine all the ingredients together and stir well. To do this, you can use a drill, however, it is necessary to cover the tank with something so that the feed does not crumble while stirring.
- Add water to the mixture (in such quantity that it looks like dough by its consistency), stir again.
- Pass the mixture through the granulator (it allows you to determine the size of the granules) or the meat grinder (then it will take a long time to bring the granules into a condition suitable for the rabbit's teeth).
- Let the feed dry.
Seasonal differences in feeding
The diet of rabbits may differ not only depending on gender, age, etc., but also on the season. For example, in the fall, in addition to animal feed, it is necessary to give carrots to rabbits, cabbage leaves, beets, potato tops, turnips. And for winter feeding it is necessary to prepare pellets with a greater concentration of barley.
Thus, mixed feed is a key component of the daily diet of rabbits, because it contains all the necessary animal substances for normal growth. You can prepare such food for your pets at home, which will save you a lot of money and give you the opportunity to monitor the quality and freshness of food.