Recently, unusual large fruits began to appear on the counters of markets and shops. This pomelo or pamela is sometimes called pompelmus, sheddok. Immediately he won the hearts of people with a delicate taste, pleasant aroma. What is this? Where did the fruit come from? Let's figure it out together.
Pomelo fruit of the citrus family. It is believed that he appeared in China (sometimes Malaysia is considered the birthplace), only at the end of the 17th century he first came to Asia, Indonesia, and then appeared in Europe. In the historic homeland is still recognized as a symbol of prosperity, wealth, well-being. It is customary to present it as an expensive gift. Maybe that's why the Chinese kept them away from foreigners.
Pomelo hybrid or not
Many people consider pomelo grapefruit, just very large, but this is a separate group of citrus fruits. Pomelo is not a hybrid, completely independent fruit, which is gaining increasing popularity.
Evergreen tree, height reaches 15 meters, gives a harvest all year round. Citrus has a thick dense four-centimeter skin, painted in light green, yellow, pinkish color. It weighs from one kilogram to six to ten kilograms.
- Red pomelo. This sort of fruit with a pleasant bitterness, red flesh, sourish taste, oval shape, resemble a small grapefruit, a crust of greenish color. By crossing a pomelo with an orange, grapefruit is obtained.
- Pink. A fruit of this type has a juicy, pink color, sweetish taste.
- White. Fruit reaches impressive size. The shape of a pear, white flesh, sweet.
How many calories in pomelo
In pomelo calorie content is not great, per 100 grams of fruit pulp - 31 - 32 kilocalories, 35 - along with the peel.
Calories in pomelo as fruit:
- One cup of fruit pulp contains 70 calories.
- when added to citrus salad, you will have 29 calories per serving,
- with daily consumption of 160 grams - 50.
In China, it is used in the preparation of desserts, thereby reducing the calorie content of dishes. In cakes, pastries also dried skin is used, as a flavoring.
In England, make it marmalade. Due to the low energy value, pomelo is a good substitute for expensive, fatty desserts.
The composition of the product
What is the composition of pomelo fruit?
The fruit is well protected. Peel pomelo 2-4 centimeters thick, has a pleasant aroma, are bioflavonoids, essential oils. Under the skin of the fruit is a white porous shell, in which there are 10-11 large cloves of pulp.
100 grams of the product contains:
- Protein - 0.8 -1.0 gr.
- Fat - 0 gr.
- Carbohydrates - 9.0- 9.8 grams.
- Dietary fiber - 2 gr.
- Water - 90 gr.
The energy ratio of BZHU - 7/2/92.
In addition to the basic composition in the fruit are micro and macronutrients: potassium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, calcium, copper, manganese, zinc.
It affects with its multivitamin complex: a large amount of ascorbic acid, vitamins B12 (cyanocobalamin), B2 (riboflavin), B6, (pyridoxine), B1 (thiamine), B9 (folic acid).
In addition, there are glycoside, limonin, pectin, lipase (an enzyme that breaks down fats). Although the energy value of the pamela is small, it is a unique product in many respects.
There is sugar in the product, but at the same time it can be eaten by diabetics. What is the secret of this product?
What is useful pomelo
The fruit is useful for people suffering from cardiovascular diseases. Regular use strengthens the walls of the heart muscle, reduces the risk of myocardial infarction, improves the contractile activity of the heart.
The presence of vitamins, including ascorbic acid improves the elasticity of blood vessels, normalizes blood pressure, boosts immunity, helps fight viral respiratory infections.
Calcium strengthens bones, normalizes the nervous system, relieves depression and fatigue.
Improves brain function due to the presence of phosphorus.
Due to the properties of pomelo fruit, it eliminates cholesterol plaques, improves blood circulation.
Sheddok is used to prevent the development of cancer, as limonoids inhibit the division of cancer cells. American scientists have noticed that with constant use of the pulp, there was a more pronounced effect than when taking medications.
The metabolism accelerates, therefore the diet including it, is used at weight loss. Promotes rapid breakdown of proteins and fats.
During considerable physical exertion, as it gives a surge of energy.
It is used for asthma, prolonged cough, and propensity for edema.
Characteristics, useful properties, the composition of the fruit can use it as a means against atherosclerosis.
What is useful for women
The benefits of pomelo for women are truly enormous. Bioflavonoids contained in the peel of pomelo have a positive effect on the hormones of the weaker sex and normalize the amount of estrogen.
If there is no allergy to citrus fruits, the product can be used by pregnant women, reduces the manifestations of toxicosis, helps protect against panic before birth. Folic acid (necessary in the first weeks of pregnancy) helps to properly form the placenta, fetal tissue. In the last months of pregnancy, women have increased thirst. The use of juice in a small amount will help to cope with this problem, thus the volume of the consumed liquid will decrease. It will save from edema.
It is important for women at any age to be beautiful and youthful. Problems with the stool instantly affect the skin, so eating fruit pulp (containing fiber) helps cleanse the intestines from toxins. The skin becomes smooth, velvety.
Vitamins, minerals, which are contained in the composition of the pompelmus help to strengthen the hair roots, make them beautiful and healthy.
What is useful for men
Useful fruit for men.
The use of pomelo increases sexual activity, is an excellent aphrodisiac. Scientists have proven a beneficial effect on the process of spermatogenesis in men.
In Asian countries, it is believed that if a man receives a sheddok as a gift, then he wants longevity and male power. Thanks to vitamin C, blood vessels are strengthened, the blood flow of the pelvic organs is enhanced, it has a beneficial effect on intimate function, it is used as a means for potency.
Still worth remembering, the pulp reduces the symptoms of poisoning, so it can be useful to fight a hangover after a good meal.
Pomelo what harm to health
As you can see, the benefits from the use of this citrus product are great, but the harm to the pomelo can also be caused.
Contraindications in the use of pomelo:
- Definitely not those who are allergic to citrus.
- With the exacerbation of gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer.
- With the existing diseases: colitis, hepatitis, nephritis, urolithiasis, increased acidity during gastritis.
Given that the use can be harmful to human health, you need to consult a doctor if you can eat it in your case.
How to eat pomelo
Properly consumed fruit should be in small portions, especially if you are a beginner. Despite the fact that we know how it tastes (sweet, pleasant) you do not need to eat the whole fruit at a time, divided into 4-5 receptions.
You can eat it as a separate dish, or as part of salads, decorating its cakes with cake decorations, cakes.
In conclusion, I would like to say, if you saw this exotic in the store, do not hesitate to purchase, because once you try, it will be impossible to refuse.
Conclusion: eat healthy foods, expand your daily diet, but there should be a measure in everything. Be healthy!
Pamela - description and types of fruit
Few people know that pomelo is the largest of all known citrus fruits. Fruit weight can reach 10 kg, it is only in stores that fruits up to 1 kg are mainly sold. A distinctive feature of the product is a fleshy, very thick skin, which may be greenish, yellow, light orange or pink. Although the skin and complicates the process of cleaning the pamela, it is thanks to her that the fruit can be transported over long distances without fear for their integrity.
There are several varieties of pamela that differ in the color of the pulp:
- Red Sour option, with obvious bitterness. Usually it is small in size, about a grapefruit, covered with green peel.
- Pink It has a lot of seeds, which is the only drawback of the variety. This is the sweetest and most juicy kind of pomelo. It is actively used in folk medicine as an anthelmintic agent.
- White This is usually the largest fruit in size. Their flesh is not so juicy, but rather sweet.
Pamela, crossed with an orange, gave us a grapefruit. The unique fruit is able to maintain its appearance, taste and chemical composition, being at room temperature for a month. It is difficult to find a fruit that could boast such a skill.
The composition and useful properties of pamela
Exotic fruit contains a lot of vitamins, minerals, pectins, antioxidants, essential oils, vegetable fibers, organic acids and fiber. Unlike other citruses, there is not much citric acid in it. Because of this, the product can sometimes be used by people with gastritis and peptic ulcer disease (of course, in remission). Like all citruses, pamela is rich in ascorbic acid. To cover the daily need of the body for this substance, it is enough to eat 100 g of fruit pulp.
The abundance of useful components gives the pomelo an impressive list of useful properties:
- Fight against inflammatory processes. In Thailand, a unique product is used to prevent diseases of the genitourinary system.
- Stimulating the work of the kidneys without creating excessive load on them.
- Strengthen immunity, increase body resistance to viral and bacterial infections.
Interesting fact: In some countries, pamela is considered a symbol of wealth and well-being. This fruit is even considered the best gift for the New Year.
- Strengthen teeth and improve gums. Unlike other citrus fruits, pamela does not destroy tooth enamel.
- Prevention and treatment of anemia. In the pulp of the fruit a lot of iron, which is under the influence of ascorbic acid qualitatively absorbed by the body.
- Normalization of blood pressure indicators, if they are elevated.
- Prevention of rickets in children and osteoporosis in adults and the elderly.
- Improvement of the digestive system due to active bowel cleansing. This allows not only to eliminate toxins and slags from the body, but also to increase the absorption capacity of the intestinal mucosa.
- Pamela is able to resist the formation, growth and spread of cancer cells. It must be included in the diet of people with oncology in the family history.
- Pomelo is an indispensable product in the prevention and treatment of atherosclerosis. In just a couple of months of regular use of the fetus, one can count on a decrease in the indices of harmful cholesterol in the blood and an improvement in the texture of the vascular walls.
- Among other things, pamela stimulates the heart, improves memory, increases concentration and performance.
- Antioxidants in the composition of the fruit actively fight aging, which allows you to count on the improvement of external indicators and an increase in life expectancy.
- On the introduction of pomelo in the menu is worth thinking about pregnant women. The fetus does not cause a negative response from the female or child’s body, and the tissues are saturated with the much-needed fetus with folic acid.
With all this, pamela is low in calories - only 50 kcal per 100 g of product. Therefore, it is often used as a mandatory component in the diet of people with obesity or overweight.
Regular consumption of fruit will help improve health, improve the functioning of organs and body systems, as well as improve the appearance of any person, regardless of gender and age.
Due to the rich composition of the fruit has a beneficial effect on the health of pregnant women:
- helps to eliminate toxins
- has a calming effect
- removes panic mood before childbirth.
Folic acid in the composition helps to properly form the tissues of the unborn child, as well as the placenta.
Since the fruit is quite juicy, it can be used as a source of juice that has a pleasant taste and quenches thirst perfectly.
Recipes of traditional medicine
The best way to use a fruit to obtain a healing effect is to eat it raw, as it does not long retain its healing properties.
The best option is to eat about 150 grams of pulp daily. This will satisfy the daily need for vitamin C.
During illnesses, in coordination with the doctor, the portion can be increased, and also in addition to make juice which needs to be drunk during the whole day up to a recovery.
The use of fruit in cooking
The fruit is actively used as an ingredient in fruit salads, cakes and pastries. It is used to create various desserts, juices and sorbet.
- Juice can be consumed by itself, it is well refreshed due to a slightly sour taste.
- The peel is used to prepare a variety of desserts, in the manufacture of marmalade and candied fruit.
- Also pomelo is used as a normal citrus, having previously cleaned from the dense skin and internal membranes.
- In the traditional cuisine of the Asian region, the fruit is added to soups and desserts to give a special flavor to the dishes.
- Often the flesh is consumed, having previously been dipped in a pepper-salt mixture.
Use in cosmetology procedures
Pomelo fruit is often used as a skin care product, as it contains a huge amount of nutrients. An important note is that in this capacity it can be used by those who do not have allergic reactions to citrus fruits and vitamin C. Otherwise, it is better to abstain from such experiments with the broom.
The most popular way to use an Asian fetus is to make face masks.
- Take crushed pulp of pomelo and liquid honey in equal quantities.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to them.
- The mixture is gently distributed over the pre-cleansed skin and left for 15 minutes.
- After this time, the composition is washed off with warm water.
- Then the skin should be blotted with a soft towel and apply your usual skincare cream.
Another way is to use juice as a tonic. To do this, the pulp is ground in a blender, the slurry is squeezed, and the liquid is poured into a clean, dry container and stored in the refrigerator. This self-made tool can wipe the face after washing. As a result, the skin will acquire a more uniform shade, and dead cells will peel off more quickly.
Pomelo has the following contraindications to use:
- The presence of allergic reactions to citrus and vitamin C. Since the fruit contains it in excess, severe reactions may develop in sensitive people.
- If there are problems with the gastrointestinal tract, such as ulcers, gastritis, colitis. The acidic taste of the fetus can cause an increased production of hydrochloric acid, which will lead to heartburn and aggravate the patient's condition.
- While breastfeeding a baby, the use of the fetus should be abandoned, as it can affect the child's well-being.
- If you eat too much pulp, it will lead to intestinal upset and cause a diuretic effect.
- Exotic fruit should not be combined with some varieties of medicines, as it can reduce their effectiveness.
In any case, the use of fruit should begin with caution, in order to avoid negative reactions. In the presence of chronic diseases, as well as regular medication, it is useful to consult with your doctor.
Pomelo is a delicious and healthy Asian fruit that will bring invaluable health benefits. It is important to observe some precautions when using it, and then you can enjoy its positive effects without the risk of complications.
Salad with pomelo and shrimps:
Ingredients: shrimps - 15 - 20 pieces, depending on the size, half of the fruit pomelo, 2 eggs, olive oil, a little lemon juice.
Boil eggs, peel and cut into strips.
Shrimp boil, peel off the shell.
Pomelo peel, divide the slices into small pieces.
All this mix, add a little lemon juice, one teaspoon will be enough, season with olive oil. If desired, the salad can be decorated with mint leaves or lettuce.
Pomelo can be consumed during fasting days.
Due to its low calorie content, pomelo, like many fruits, is great for holding fasting days and short mono - diets.
Just in case, I remind you how you would not want to lose weight, but any mono - diet should not last more than three days. More information about diets can be found on our website Sizhu-doma.ru. It is imperative to stop the mono - diet in case you become ill, your health worsened, weakness and discomfort appeared.
For a fasting day: pomelo is used without restrictions for one day. Как правило, на один день будет достаточно двух крупных плодов.
С помощью помело можно сбросить как минимум 2 – 3 килограмма веса, за пару месяцев, если два раза в неделю вместо обычного ужина употреблять помело. Thus, the feeling of hunger will not, and your body will get low-calorie and vitaminized food.
Small storage advice Pomelo
If you need only half of the fruit for eating or cooking salad, clean only the desired part of the film.
The rest of the fruit must be put in a plastic bag and put into the refrigerator. This way you can avoid the drying of the film, and it is very difficult to scrape off the dry film and save the slices for a long time.
In principle, Pomelo, which has no damage to the skin, can be stored for a long time, especially if you keep it in the refrigerator.
If you have never tried Pomelo - try it, I am sure that you will like it, and you will discover a little bit of exotic, even if there is a bitter cold outside and multimeter drifts