Having decided to have a pet, the responsible owners immediately think about the consequences of this purchase.
Many are familiar with pet allergies. In people with hypersensitivity, interaction with allergens contained in salivary secretions, cornified skin particles and urine can trigger an allergic reaction. If you are allergic to other animals, most likely, rabbits will cause the same body reaction.
Unlike many animals, the rabbit's fur has no odor, so it does not cause irritation of the mucous membranes, but despite this, rabbits are still an allergen. The main reason, as we have already found out, is not wool. The cause is urine and protein from the pet's skin.
The animal is actually very cute and harmless. The composition of the hair of rabbits is different from the hair of dogs or cats, which is why they almost never have dandruff.
Nevertheless, scientists are still not fully confident in their safety due to the secretions that occur in males. Thus, the best way out for an allergic person is to buy a rabbit with short fur. In this case, you can be sure that no allergy threatens you. Yes, and with the walk you will not be.
According to statistics, allergy to ornamental rabbits occurs in 10% of allergy sufferers who have contact with animals.
Allergy to the rabbit can not be seen immediately, sometimes its first signs begin to appear after 2-3 days.
Symptoms of a rabbit allergy:
- allergic conjunctivitis,
- frequent sneezing
- breathing problems: shortness of breath, lack of air,
- copious nasal discharge
Children are more prone to allergic reactions. Allergy to rabbits in a child is accompanied by individual signs.
The most accurate way to determine allergies is a blood test. The level of immunoglobulins F 213 can be determined by blood. Based on its results, the doctor prescribes a treatment.
When treating allergies, I prescribe antihistamines to a person, and for more serious forms, corticosteroids.
Any treatment should occur after consulting a doctor, any use of pharmacological drugs not prescribed by a specialist is a great risk to your health.
Suppose you have not yet decided to buy a rabbit, but plan to start it. How to understand if your household is allergic? Visit friends or acquaintances who keep decorative rabbits. To understand whether there is intolerance, it is enough to be near the potential stimulus for 5-10 minutes.
What to do in case of confirmation of the diagnosis:
- If you do not want to get rid of the pathogen try to limit contact with the pet.
- Regularly clean in the cage and outside.
- Use chlorine solution when disinfecting your pet's home, it will kill proteins that produce glands of the allergy culprit.
- Get a dry cleaner in the house, the filter will kill the allergens in the air.
- Restrict the movement of the rabbit around the apartment, allocate a room / area on which the pet can not get.
- On the bed you need to wear special clothes against dust. Then allergens will not settle on the surface of your bed.
- Do not forget to clean / wash curtains and curtains.
- Put a mask on your face before talking to the rabbit.
- Do not let the animal climb on your bed.
- Carpets need to be replaced with more laundered surfaces, otherwise allergens will accumulate on them.
- Periodically change the hay and sawdust in the cage.
- Males should be castrated, because during the rut period they will definitely begin to mark the territory, because you can’t argue against nature, and this in turn will only aggravate the allergy.
If the listed methods of dealing with allergies do not help, it is better to find a new owner's pet. Tablets should be consumed only after the onset of an attack. In no case can not take medication on a regular basis and keep the rabbit in the house.
By the way, do you know how to care for down breed rabbits? Look, this is interesting!
Remember that the average life expectancy of a rabbit is 7-8 years; it is impossible to keep a source of allergy for such a long time. In many respects it still depends on the conditions of maintenance and nutrition, but there are a number of factors affecting the life span:
- genetic predisposition, heredity,
- health of producers, at the time of mating in particular,
- physical injuries and diseases sustained throughout life,
- lifestyle, care, food.
If you have got yourself a pet, you should understand that, in addition to pleasant emotions and joy, the animal can also bring trouble. For example, allergies.
(25,00 from 5)
Is there an allergy to ornamental rabbits?
Allergy - is an excessive reaction of the body to a foreign substance. Protective cells, lymphocytes, when they collide with an unknown substance, start a fight with it - they throw antibodies into the blood.
Allergy can be caused by rabbit meat, its urine and secretory secretions of the skin, which contain protein, which is the main allergen.
If the pet's place and the animals themselves are not properly cared for, the microparticles of allergenic substances accumulate in the air, on fleecy surfaces (carpets, walkways), on upholstered furniture, and pillows and cause pronounced unpleasant symptoms.
Symptoms caused by urine and skin secretions
An allergic reaction to the waste products of rabbits appears suddenly and the symptoms quickly increase. It may be:
- persistent hysterical cough,
- feeling short of breath, severe shortness of breath,
- nasal congestion and abundant fluid discharge from the nasal cavity,
- swelling of laryngeal tissue,
- redness of the skin (characteristic red spots on the face, neck, body),
- asthma may cause asthma attacks.
In very rare cases, anaphylactic shock develops, which requires immediate medical attention. As a rule, it occurs when eating meat and is caused by alpha-galactose.
Whey protein and immunoglobulins contained in rabbit blood can cause problems in the gastrointestinal tract. It may be:
- severe abdominal pain
- strong feeling of nausea
The symptoms need to urgently respond by calling a doctor. The action of the allergen must be neutralized, otherwise the state of health may deteriorate sharply.
The reaction of the child to the allergen
Unlike adults, a child tends to contact with a pet much more often. Children ask their parents to arrange a rabbit “dwelling” right in their room.
And adults agree, not knowing how much trouble it may bring in the future.
It happens that nothing bad happens, but in other cases, after a few days, the parents observe how the child develops symptoms similar to the common cold.
It is important not to confuse allergies with acute respiratory infections and not to self-medicate, because it is not possible to treat this pathology at all, and valuable time will be lost.
Allergy symptoms in children are similar to the signs that appear in adults, but they are more acute and pronounced, and if you ignore a sick condition, it can lead to serious consequences. Children love rabbit meat no less than adults, and digestive disorders are much harder for them, and the recovery period lasts 2-3 days longer.
The reaction in infants manifests itself in the form of restless behavior, crying, the appearance of red spots on the body. Baby has little legs, refuses to eat, cries a lot. A rash may indicate signs of an allergy in infants, which disappears immediately after the allergen has been eliminated.
Reaction to the decorative rabbit
Among the decorative individuals there are many long-haired breeds.
During the period of molting from them a huge amount of wool falls, and the owners do not always have the opportunity to completely remove the wool from the interior and floor.
And since hairs contain particles of secretory skin secretions of the ornamental rabbit, and people who are prone to allergic reactions begin to feel unpleasant symptoms.
It is better to try to first “make friends” with a short-haired usastik. If this succeeds, despite another shedding, then fluffies do not cause allergies, and you can safely go shopping for a decorative “friend.”
Living conditions of the rabbit - the source of allergens
If the owners of the category of people who believe that they are responsible for those who have tamed, then you must comply with the following requirements:
- Ushastik should have its own "housing". This may be the cage from which the rabbit is released to walk daily.
- If a child has an allergy, contact with the animal should be limited.
- Do not allow dampness and dirt where the rabbit lives.
- In the period of molting eared need to carefully comb.
- In no case should not be allowed to pet slept with children or adults, climbed on sofas and beds.
If these precautions do not help to get rid of allergies in certain periods, then at least they will create the conditions under which the symptoms will be mild, and the coexistence of a rabbit and a person in the same room will become possible.
The pet must have a designated place to stay. If it is a source of allergen, walks around the house should be limited to 1 hour per day, or immediately remove feces and urine with a solution with a chlorine-containing drug.
- In the cage of a pet must be cleaned at least 1 time a day. It is imperative to remove litter with litter and urine, because they contain the main sources of allergy.
- If an allergy has arisen in a small child, then it is better to give the pet to someone, because the temptation to play with the pet will be overpowered by the instructions of the parents, who will again find the disobedient child in the cage.
- It is necessary to wash the floor as often as possible, to clean carpets, upholstered furniture and pillows from pet hair.
- If meat has become a source of allergy (which is rare, because during heat treatment the allergen is neutralized), then it is necessary to drain the broth 2-3 times during cooking and pour the meat again with fresh water.
- If you are allergic to animal meat in a child? You can replace it with beef or poultry. As a rule, an allergic reaction is manifested only in one type of meat, and the other is perceived by the body normally.
- The cage of the animal should be located at a distance from the areas where people constantly live: children's room, living room, kitchen room. There is definitely no place for a rabbit.
It is not always possible to resolutely abandon the pet to which everyone is accustomed, as a member of the family. Sometimes it has to be done reluctantly. But, listening and following the above recommendations, it is already possible to avoid insidious allergies.. therefore you should not throw tamed fluffs, without first trying to comply with measures of protection from allergies.
Allergy to ornamental rabbit
Often are the cases when parents give their child rabbit decorative breeds. Such pets are owners of long hair, which contains particles of skin secretion, which causes the strongest allergic reactions. To avoid this, you should pay attention to smooth-haired animals.
If an adult or a child is already diagnosed with an allergy to wool, then keeping a decorative rabbit at home is quite dangerous for an allergic person. In this situation, the risk of cross-allergic reactions increases.
Allergic symptoms for rabbit meat
Hypersensitivity to whey protein and immunoglobulins, which are contained in rabbit blood, is accompanied by the appearance of the following allergic reaction from the gastrointestinal tract and the nervous system:
- the emergence of a strong feeling of nausea,
- flatulence and bloating,
- increase in total body temperature
If you find the above signs, you should immediately protect the contact of the patient with the allergen. Otherwise, the well-being of an adult or child may deteriorate dramatically.
If the rabbit is already purchased
If the pet is already purchased, and the child in the family has turned out to be hypersensitive, then parents should worry in advance about the following rules:
- The place where the rabbit lives should be constantly clean and dry.
- Contact a child with an animal should be limited.
- During the molting period, a rabbit of a long-haired breed should be well combed out.
- Pet should not sleep with children and adults who suffer from allergies.
- It is advisable to keep the animal in a cage and only a few times a day to allow walks within certain limits (without contact with personal belongings, allergies and furniture).
Disease treatment rules
The effectiveness of therapy directly depends on a well-constructed algorithm for treating allergies to rabbit meat and its metabolic products, namely:
- Minimize contact with the irritant (with animals, food, care products).
- To carry out wet cleaning in the room.
- Adhere to the course of drug treatment.
- Increase immunity by taking vitamin complexes and well-built diet.
- Further exclusion of contact with fur-bearing animals.
If an allergic person lives in the family, then doctors recommend regularly airing the rooms, as well as monitoring the permissible level of humidity in the rooms.
It is completely impossible to get rid of the disease, but doctors recommend taking a course of drug therapy to alleviate the symptoms of allergy to rabbits. At the first sign, doctors recommend:
- Antihistamines of the second generation, which are able to block histamine production, while reducing the severity of allergy symptoms.
- In order to remove toxins from the body, the doctor prescribes the use of enterosorbents, allowing to neutralize the negative effects of stimuli on the body.
- To improve immunity, immunopreparations are prescribed, which not only restore the body's natural defense, but also prevent ARVI.
- In severe conditions, corticosteroids can be prescribed.
The dosage, duration of treatment and type of drug should be selected only by a qualified doctor. Before you take the prescribed means, you should study in detail the side effects, among which may be drowsiness and lethargy. In the course of treatment with such medicines, it is worthwhile to limit driving the car directly behind the wheel.
Recipes of traditional medicine
Relieve the condition of allergies will help traditional medicine, namely:
- Eliminate skin rashes will help bath on the basis of a series of tripartite, St. John's wort, sage, valerian root and chamomile flowers.
- To remove the redness on the skin, you can use infusion of nettle leaves, succession, oregano, licorice root.
- Tincture of valerian and hawthorn on the basis of vodka will help strengthen weakened immunity.
- For relief of itching, a mixture of propolis tincture with walnut extract is used.
- Resist allergies to rabbits will help infusion of calendula flowers.
Before you apply a certain means of traditional medicine, you should consult with your doctor. This will avoid cross-allergy or deterioration of health.