All people have their own association since the summer of 2017. For some, it is the smell of freshly cut grass, for someone - the aroma of the sea breeze. But for most gardeners, summer is associated primarily with the rich aroma of freshly picked cucumber. And in this there are no equal cucumbers, which in recent years have gained great popularity among Russian gardeners. These are alligator cucumbers: F1 Alligator, F1 Crispy Alligator, F1 Emerald Flow, Chinese Sustainable F1 Series.
Now in all suburban forums on the Internet, controversy about unusual cucumbers is flaming up. Some people upload photos of their “long fruit” harvest, others wonder if such a crop can really be grown in Russia? So have you ever eaten the “meat” of such an “Alligator”? Believe me, it's worth a try!
What are they good for?
- they are fantastically unusual. The maximum length of cucumbers can reach 40 cm, and usually Zelentsi 25-30 cm long are removed from the bush. They are large-pupy, like real alligators. The mere sight of these cucumbers in the garden surprises those who are accustomed to standard Russian greens.
- they are very sweet, and this is one of their main qualities. The pulp on the cut is dense, without voids and very juicy: cut the cucumber and see how the juice from the pulp will flow. And if gherkins often unforeseenly have bitterness in taste, then this will not happen with the “alligator” - it is always sweet.
- active flavor. Many gardeners compare it with the aroma of watermelon - fresh, bright, instantly distributed around the house when preparing a salad or fresh aromatic okroshka.
- are good in salt. It is not necessary to spend “alligators” for long-term harvesting, but they are very good for low salted ones. Cut the cucumbers into small kegs, pickle, and within a few days you will have wonderful pickles ready. The brine through large tubercles is evenly distributed in the pulp, the "kegs" optimally salted.
- generous to harvest. This is a common “problem”. Gardeners do not know what to do with the crop. When “alligators” are at the peak of fruiting, then 6-8 fruits of “alligators” and as many small greens can be seen on one plant at a time. And from one plant for a season it is possible to collect up to 20 kg of fruits! From the experience of SeDeK Agrofirm: when we grow cucumbers “for food” in a separate greenhouse, we plant several varieties in the same quantity. And at the same time the impression is that “alligators” are planted 2-3 times more than other varieties. Basically, only they come to the table, the rest only complement the harvest. And note: when other varieties stop fruiting, the alligator continues to produce. They bear fruit very compactly, on the main stem. The crop is visible immediately.
(Material provided by the group Garden, kitchen garden: vk.com/intergarden)
- quick to harvest (25-30 days from germination to harvest). They can be planted several times per season. For example, we, at SeFeK Agrofirm, carry out the first sowing in March, and already in May holidays, several long fruits are hanging on the plant in the greenhouse. The last sowing can be done in August in order to be with your harvest of super-sweet cucumbers as long as possible.
- the fruits do not outgrow, which is very convenient for summer residents, rarely coming to their site. If the gherkin, overgrown, begins to turn yellow, "get fat" and lose taste, then the alligator for a long time retains its presentation on the plant and grows only in length.
- wherever you live, they will get used to the climate provided to them. On hot harvest days, the Chinese heat-resistant F1, it has become colder - Chinese cold-resistant F1 bears fruit better, at the end of summer a big return from the Chinese disease-resistant F1. A Chinese farmer F1, F1 Alligator, F1 Emerald Flux tolerant to any conditions.
Is it difficult to grow them?
Growing cucumber-alligators in essence does not differ from the usual agrotechnics of growing cucumbers. Moreover, agricultural technology is even more simple! These vigorous hybrids can bear fruit in both protected and open ground, but these cucumbers show the best results in the greenhouse and greenhouse. Each shoot on the plant must be pinned for 2-3 cucumbers, the main crop goes on the main stem.
Plant "alligator" should be supported and grow "in height." If you grow cucumber alligators without support and without a garter, beautiful long-fruited cucumbers can encounter obstacles during their growth and deform significantly.
These cucumbers are really more juicy than ordinary gherkins. While cooking vegetable salad, fresh cucumber flavor spreads throughout the house. Now, in early spring, one can only dream of such fragrant salads.
Growing alligators is not a problem. Agrotechnics is no different from the traditional for cucumbers. Do not forget about abundant watering and advanced fertilizing - these are high-yielding hybrids that need food for development. In the case of proper care, the fruits are smooth, dark green, juicy and fragrant.
It is hard to believe: if gardeners complain about these cucumbers, it is only when they do not know what to do with an unexpectedly high yield. Imagine that with 10 plants of Beijing hybrid F1 hybrids, Crocodile Gene F1 it turns out simultaneous harvest in two buckets of "alligators".
"Surplus" can be presented to relatives and neighbors, surprising them with the appearance and taste of greenhouses. In addition, part of the harvest can be safely let in the workpiece. These cucumbers become salted faster if cut into small barrels. They are suitable for marinating, and for vegetable platter.
Try to preserve alligators with red currants! Sweet and sour berry will replace harmful preservatives and vinegar and give cucumbers a very pleasant and unusual taste.
Imagine and create! A good housewife "alligators" suitable for many dishes!
Alligator f1 variety cucumbers love to grow in a sunny place. The roots of the plant do not tolerate a large amount of moisture, so you need to ensure that there is no groundwater or the plant grows in the hole - after all, after each rain, the water will stay in the well for a long time, thereby harming the cucumber plant.
You can plant seeds only in heated soil. If the ground is cold, you need to bring it into the room and allow it to warm up during the day. For planting, it is preferable to use loose and light soil so that the air has access to the roots.
Do not rush to planting - the seeds need to be planted only when the ground warms up to 12 degrees, and the probability of night frosts disappears.
These cucumbers are well tolerated in transportation and do not lose their marketable appearance. Many gardeners recommend a seedling method of cultivation, in which a ready-to-plant a plant should not have less than 2-3 well-developed, true leaves. And adding sawdust and ash when planting in the hole, you can significantly increase the yield.
Chinese cucumber - the rules of cultivation and care
Juicy Chinese cucumber is a special subspecies, which includes varieties having 3 characteristics, namely:
- original form,
- glossy peel, no pimples,
- solid length of 500-800 mm.
This vegetable crop is suitable for experimental gardeners who are bored with ordinary cucumbers.
Brief description of the plant
Chinese cucumber looks very similar to the usual, familiar cucumbers, but besides the size and lack of pimples, cucumber differs from its garden “relative” both in taste and in a number of bio-features, but, in general, it has the same agrotechnical characteristics and also belongs to group of pumpkin.
If a person sees on a garden, or in a supermarket such a cucumber, then he will never confuse him with any other vegetable.
Tastes are also different, the Chinese variety is the most:
- has the smell of melon or watermelon.
In this case, the vegetable skin has a sweet taste, there is no bitterness in it.
The flesh is dense, looks like wax, with no empty areas. Small seeds are located in the central part. The flowers on the Chinese vegetable crop are mostly female, grow in several pieces.
The best yield is observed if the cultivation is carried out in greenhouse conditions, but, as practice shows, the vegetable grows well in the garden.
Moreover, it grows in both warm and northern territories.
It is also necessary to say that the variety is early ripening, it is necessary to wait only 25-35 days from germination to removal of the first fruits.
But the main thing is that for a traditional family there is no need to plant a whole garden, but a few seedlings will suffice, because you can make a big salad dish out of one cucumber.
The indisputable advantage of a cucumber representative is his:
- High yield.
- Self pollinability.
- Beautiful appearance.
- No fear of the shadow.
This cucumber culture is adored by gardeners, as this vegetable is cold-resistant and disease-resistant. However, there are some disadvantages to vegetable culture.
The first minus is a weak bulge.
Despite the fact that the vegetable is distinguished by its beauty and excellent taste, it should be consumed immediately after the fruit is removed from the bush, otherwise, after 24 hours, it will become soft.
Another disadvantage is the suitability of a number of varieties of types only for salad dishes.
Also, we can not say that the seeds have a small germination and the bushes should be tied up vertically (if this is not done, the cucumbers will become like hooks, they will lose aesthetics).
Chinese cucumber - Popular varieties
Basically, the cultivars of this cucumber culture were bred in Chinese territory, but there are also varieties of Russian seed production. The choice of course is individual.
But breeders recommend the following varieties:
- Chinese snakes. Early ripe and tasty.
- White delicacy. Resistant to adverse weather conditions.
- Chinese heat resistant F1 and F2. Best suited for novice gardening.
Very tasty and popular domestic grade Alligator. Thanks to him, some vegetable growers call this cucumber group cucumber-alligators.
Cucumber seeds are best purchased at the store, usually about 8 pcs. In a package. Seedlings are grown by those who want to get the harvest as early as possible.
Seeds from the store:
- already processed
- no need to soak them
- can immediately be planted in the substrate.
Plant seeds one by one in separate mini-glasses.
It is necessary to sow in the middle of April. Seedlings require light and heat, it is also necessary to water in a timely manner.
Grade Chinese Snakes
A variety of medium and early ripeness, which was bred for growth in greenhouse conditions.
Shrubs of this species:
- Well forked.
- Strong and strong.
- Actively grow.
- Fruit a long period.
The fruits are elongated (up to 500 mm), have the shape of an arc, a dark green shade, with large but rare tubercles and a small groove of seeds.
Lay the seedlings of this variety should be about a month before planting on the site.
In the greenhouse construction can be planted at the beginning of the spring period, and in a cold greenhouse or garden in late spring.
Seedlings important to necessarily thin out the bushes to gain power.
Sow the seeds should be in rows to a depth of 20 mm. On the square can be placed no more than 3 seedlings.
Land for this variety must be enriched, well permeable to air.
In order for the air masses to flow into the ground more, you can make a drainage layer of sawdust or foliage. Care for the bushes of this variety should be carried out qualitatively.
Therefore, it is impossible to ignore watering; it is necessary to replenish the liquid deficit systematically as needed, and the water should be warm.
Fertilizing the plant also needs time, and correctly water and feed the fertilizer together, as the healing elements in this way more actively penetrate the soil.
Attach shoots to the trellis is necessary.
How to grow Chinese cucumber?
In general, all the conditions for high-quality growth of vegetable crops coincide with the requirements of the usual varieties of green vegetable sown.
But due to the fact that the vegetable crop is formed mainly in one three-meter stem and practically does not shoot from the side (if they are present, it is very small), the rules are as follows:
- Ready seedlings need to harden.
- Plant Chinese variety can be thick.
- It is necessary to land on the lit places or in a penumbra.
- Follow the rules of care (below).
It is easy to grow cucumbers, the scheme is the same as for simple cucumbers we are used to.
How to care for a plant?
So, this vegetable crop:
- Not picky about the kind of soil.
- It is necessary to start growing from seedlings, which should be laid no earlier than the first numbers of the average spring month.
- Strong seedlings with 1-2 leaves should be dived into larger pots.
Care should be traditionally, that is, it is necessary to carry out regular watering, fertilize shop formulas, as well as organize seedlings a lot of lighting and heat.
When the seedlings become monthly, it can be sent to the open ground.
It should be replanted around May 15, or even in early summer, so that the soil can warm up.
If you want to get cucumbers early, then a week and a half before harvesting you need to cover the seedlings with black PE, which will keep you warm.
When the seedlings are planted on the plot, the place around them should definitely be covered with PE-film. Taking care of the bushes is easy.
Regular watering with warm water, spraying plants in bad weather are the main link in the chain of proper growth.
Systematic feeding with minerals, as well as processing with fungicides will not be superfluous for full growth.
But it is important not to overdo it with chemicals, otherwise cucumbers will become poisoned.
Like any shrub, Chinese cucumber must be fixed on a reliable trellis, it will be easier to maintain, and later to collect the fruit.
This green tasty vegetable will not disappoint the taste and original appearance.
As reviews of gardeners have shown, even a beginner can cope with growing, and the crop will delight with its size!
This hybrid was bred in Russia quite recently - in 2012. It should be noted that “Alligator F1” is an early ripe vegetable crop. In other words, the crop fully ripens 45 days after germination. Bee pollinating hybrid, characterized by prolonged fruiting. Bushes are vigorous, srednepletistye, with beam-like type of ovaries. The length of the main stem can reach 2.5 m.
Fruit characteristics and yield
The variety of cucumbers "Alligator F1" can be attributed to greenhouse plants, since the length of its fruit is 35-40 cm. At the same time, it has a rather impressive weight - 300-310 g. The surface of the cucumber is large-tubercle. The most interesting thing in it is the form: a long, elongated cylinder of saturated green color. Hence the name "Alligator" because of the appearance of a reptile.
With proper planting and care, this hybrid bears fruit for a long time and is unpretentious to the conditions.
Selection of seedlings
The correct choice of seedlings - the key to a good harvest. There is a pattern: the warmer the climate, the older should be the seedlings. The younger the plant, the longer you will wait for the fruit, but the easier it adapts to the soil and the climate, the better it takes root. When choosing seedlings pay attention to such moments:
- The roots. For plants sold in cassettes (without a pot), the roots should be clearly visible. But for potted cucumbers sticking root system is not always good. Assess the state of the roots. White, young shoots quickly take root when landing. However, if you see dried out, rotten, old or ragged roots, be prepared for the fact that the plant simply will not survive. The complete absence of roots should also be alerted - cucumbers have a rather developed root system during normal development.
- Pot. Pay attention to its size. The older the sapling, the greater the capacity should be, and vice versa.
- Parasites. Naturally, it is necessary to inspect the plant for the presence of pests. In particular, special attention should be paid to the back of the leaf - the favorite place of many insects. The bad signs are deformed leaves (viruses), spiderwebs on the leaves (spider mites), black small insects on the stems (aphids), eggs on the leaves (other parasites).
- Growing conditions. If the seedlings are germinated incorrectly, this will affect the viability of the plant and the yield in the future. Light small leaves, a rare tall bush, sluggish and fallen leaves - signs of violation of the lighting and watering regime, freezing is possible. Dark stem at the base appears as a result of excessive watering and decay of the root system. But the curved and twisted leaves of a bright green color - a sure sign of growing plants in turbo mode and overfeeding it with nitrogen fertilizers. Such plants can give no fruit at all.
Choosing seedlings, try to pick up plants with the minimum difference of "age". Сажая так называемых сверстников, вы упростите себе процесс ухода, а также обеспечите одновременность появления урожая. Нелишним будет уточнить, закалённые ли саженцы продаются. Это не является обязательным фактором, но подготовленные таким образом растения более стойкие к непогоде и дают больше урожая.
Почва и удобрения
Огурцы «Аллигатор F1» довольно прихотливы по отношению к грунту. Choose a place to disembark should be very careful. The soil should be sandy or loamy, that is, light or medium in texture. For cucumbers, a primer is better suited, it is easily absorbed and retains water long enough for the plant to absorb it. At the same time make sure that the earth was not too heavy. If the soil in your area is clayey, it can be diluted with sand: per 1 sq. M. m soil add 2 buckets of sand.
VIDEO: HOW TO PREPARE GROUND FOR GROWING Best of all, cucumbers grow in places where they used to be: potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, cabbage, eggplants. But the places where pumpkin crops were grown before should be avoided.
Of great importance is the acidity of the soil. It is best suited for cucumbers to be slightly acidic or neutral, which means that the pH level should be in the range of 6-7.
At home, the acidity of the soil is very easy to determine:
- In the hardware store we buy a special Alyamovsky device and litmus paper.
- We make a uniform cut of the soil with a depth of about 30 cm.
- The resulting sample is wetted and thoroughly mixed with distilled water.
- This mixture together with the litmus paper is clamped in the hand for 1 minute.
- Litmus paper attached to the scale (included) and determine the level of acidity.
VIDEO: HOW TO DETERMINE SOIL ACIDITY BY PEOPLE'S METHODS
During growth, the Alligator loves heat and light. The temperature should be within + 23-30 ° C. A small short-term decrease in degrees is permissible, although undesirable. However, if the temperature drops below +15 ° C, growth will stop. The place should also be light, although penumbra will do. It is very important to protect the shoots from the wind. Therefore, it is possible to grow young seedlings in film greenhouses or to protect sprouts with improvised means.
Take away large seeds without damage. Before disembarking, they should be warmed up. To do this, hold them for about a month near the heaters. The optimum temperature for them will be +25 ° C. It is proved that the heated seeds give early, amicable shoots and reduce the number of barren flowers. Hybrid seeds do not need other types of preplant preparation.
Content and location
Cucumber seeds should be sown in small containers with a height of 10-12 cm. For the best seedlings, it is necessary to prepare in advance a soil mixture of small and old sawdust, humus and peat in a ratio of 1: 2: 2, and also add (per 10 l) 1.5 Art. l nitrofoski and 2 tbsp. l ash. Thoroughly mixed mixture is ideal for sowing.
Seed planting process
If the preparation of soil and seeds was carried out correctly, the planting process will not cause any difficulties:
- Tanks should be filled to the top with the previously prepared mixture.
- Then seeds are sown, strictly one by one into the container.
- Pour over a small amount of water.
Transplanting seedlings to ground
If you did everything right, then the plants will be ready for planting in an open area in 27-32 days. Here, too, everything is simple. We prepare the beds in advance, namely - we make holes 3-5 cm deep with a distance of about 60 cm from each other. Transplant the shoots into the ground. We carefully dig in the ground in order not to damage the sprouts. We water.
As we have already found out, the Alligator F1 cucumber loves light, heat and water. In this regard, it is proposed to choose the southern side for its cultivation. Of great importance is also the climate of the region. So, if you live in the northern strip, these cucumbers will be better in greenhouses.Do not forget that These plants have a long main stem, so strong winds can be disastrous for them. Remember that fruits must hang to full maturity, otherwise they may be deformed. From the above, the conclusion follows: before planting cucumbers of this hybrid, you need to carefully examine the soil on your site and the weather conditions in your region. If both are suitable, the “Alligator F1” cucumbers can be safely grown in open ground.
Soil loosening and weeding
As mentioned above, it is very important that the roots get the moisture they need. To do this, periodically need to loosen the soil. You can do it this way: take pitchforks and do them with neat punctures between rows to a depth of 2-4 cm. At first, this should be done after each watering. When the plants grow - loosening can stop. But remember that the beds must be clean of weeds, regardless of the stage of plant growth.
Ganging - cutting off excess shoots (stepchildren), which take away power from the whip, which leads to the loss of fruit. In order to enjoy the first harvest by mid-June, it is necessary to properly and carefully make a pasynkovanie.
As a rule, the first 5-6 leaves should be removed, as well as the ovaries in the axils of the first 3-4 leaves. But be very careful and careful not to damage the main trunk and the flowers on it. To do this, slightly pull off the leaf with one hand, and with the other, carefully pinch off the stepson at the stem itself. But this can be done not earlier than the stepsons become 3-6 cm in size.
Since the plant is quite tall, with a long stem, as well as long and heavy fruits, it must be tied up. It is recommended to grow this hybrid on trellis heights up to 2 m. A double sliding knot will help not to damage the whip, but securely attach it to a trellis.
The process of feeding takes place in several stages. The first time the procedure is carried out after 7-10 days after planting. The mixture is prepared from such ingredients: 10 liters of water, 10 g of superphosphate, 10 g of ammonium nitrate, 10 g of potassium salt. This dosage is designed for 10-15 bushes.
After 2 weeks, you need to repeat feeding, doubling the amount of fertilizer on the same volume of water. But during the fruiting period, it is worth 1-2 times to fertilize with mineral fertilizers (per 1 sq. M): 15-20 g of urea or a mixture of ammonium nitrate, superphosphate and potassium sulfate in a ratio of 1: 2: 1.
To make the cucumber grow faster, it needs a lot of carbon dioxide - for this, the bushes are covered with a mullein. At the same time, it is necessary to be extremely careful that the fertilizer and the plant do not come into contact, since the mullein can cause a plant burn.
VIDEO: SUPPORTING CUCUMBERS DURING FLOWERING
Pests, diseases and prevention
The basic rules for the prevention of disease in cucumbers:
- choose only quality seeds,
- sow the seeds only in heated soil,
- remove all residues from previous plants from the soil,
- regularly weed beds from weeds.
As for parasites, cucumbers may be subject to the following scourges:
- spider mite - braids the leaves below, pierces the skin and drinks the juice of the plant,
- melon aphid - a small insect that also likes to settle on the back of the leaf,
- gray rot - on the stalk forms large gray or brown spots, and on the fruit - gray fluffy bloom.
Please note that no desinsector provides a 100% guarantee if you use it one-time. Follow the instructions, carry out processing several times, destroying not only the resistant individuals, but also their possible offspring.
Harvesting and storage
If everything was done correctly, then after 45 days you can wait for the harvest. Morning and evening are considered to be the best time to pick fruit. To keep the fruits fresh longer, they should be placed in a dark, cool place. It is not necessary to wash the green leaves before putting it in storage, because they have their own protection against rotting. But when washing the fruits get microdamages (scratches, plucked hillocks and tails), in which an infection appears and the product starts to deteriorate.
Possible problems and recommendations
In the process of growth, plant leaves may have problems in the form of powdery mildew, copperskin and yellowing. One of the causes of powdery mildew may be calcium deficiency or an excess of nitrogen in the soil. To combat this disease, a 1 percent solution of Bordeaux liquid or a 4 percent solution of ferrous sulfate is used. To prevent the spread of vermilion (anthracnose) on vegetables, you need to use fungicides (“Fitosporin”, “Topaz”).
The most common cause of yellowing leaves is temperature drops and lack of potassium. To protect the plant, simply cover it with a film for the night, and add potassium directly to the top dressing.
A hybrid variety of cucumber called "Alligator F1" gives large and juicy fruits, easy to grow. With a little effort to care for him, you can get excellent results.