Planning the construction of rabbit cages, the first thing to think about is the choice of suitable building materials. In principle, for the construction of a simple structure that can protect animals from adverse external factors, any available means will do.
In the construction of rabbit farms, wood and metal, galvanized profiles, plastic elements, bricks, clay and even industrial pallets are used. Despite the fact that practically any materials are suitable for use, their choice should be approached with all responsibility.
Even a beginning breeder can handle a wooden cage
Wood in the construction of the cage for rabbits is used very widely. From it you can make any structural elements. It is from a wooden bar that the frame of the future cell is usually made. The floor of wooden slats is also popular with rabbit breeders.
The main advantages of the material are environmental friendliness and ease of processing.. Wooden elements can easily be given almost any shape. Do not lose sight of the excellent thermal insulation properties of wood: in the winter in a wooden rabbit, it will be warm, and in the summer - not too hot.
Among the shortcomings is to provide rapid destruction. Rabbits love to gnaw everything around, so the wooden elements of the internal decoration of the cage are quickly destroyed by rodents. In addition, wood, due to its porous structure, absorbs all odors and liquids, therefore it is not recommended to put a solid wood floor in a cage.
Important! Insects and humidity also contribute to the rapid destruction of wood, therefore, all the wooden elements of the structure must be treated with protective compounds. Choosing such a composition, make sure it is safe for animals.
Metal is much stronger than wood, but working with it requires a different level of skill.
Metal versus wood is a more durable material for construction.. Rabbits cannot gnaw through metal elements, they are easy to wash and insects are not afraid of them. True, metal processing requires special skills from the master, as well as the ability to handle special tools.
The skeleton of the future cell is created from metal pipes. Metal is also used for the interior decoration of wooden cells in order to prevent gnawing of natural material. But the roof and the outer walls of the metal cage are not recommended, as they can get very hot in the sun and freeze in the cold, which is fraught with danger to the health of eared residents.
Plastic is light and durable, but can release toxic substances in the heat.
Plastic pipes can be an alternative to wooden beams and metal pipes. Durable and lightweight material allows you to create universal cells for use in all conditions.
When working with plastic, it is important to remember about animal safety. Internal structural elements that can get "to the tooth" rabbits should not be made of plastic. An animal can injure the mouth or esophagus with splinters, and also poison itself with synthetic substances that make up the material.
Important! With strong heating (for example, in the heat), some types of plastic emit toxic substances.
Bricks and clay
Bricks and clay are used to build rabbit cages primarily in hot regions.. Bricks lay the grounds for the houses, and clay seams are coated with clay. Such a cage well protects animals from overheating, as the brick has excellent thermal insulation properties.
The walls of the cages for rabbits are made solid, in the form of a grid of slats, or made of mesh. The most convenient option is the one with a grid, which should have cells of medium or small size and be strong enough.
The most practical material for making a roof in a rabbit cage is slate. It will perfectly perform a protective function, while not overheating in the sun and not afraid of moisture.
Rabbits are not the most fastidious animals to care for. As temporary housing or in conditions of critical economy, suitable houses made of scrap materials. Inventive rabbit breeders adapt old barrels and containers for rodent maintenance, or they assemble multi-storey structures from industrial pallets.
Each material has special properties that can be both a plus and a minus. Guided in the choice should, based on the advice of experienced breeders, individual conditions (climate, breed of animals, etc.) and instructions to popular drawings, if you plan to use them.
Typical rabbit cage do it yourself
Choosing the cage option for rabbits, you can stop the choice on the cage Zolotukhin or Mikhailov
There are many variants of cages for rabbits, which differ in the number of tiers and sections, size and availability of "amenities" in the form of feeders and drinkers. On the Internet, it is easy to find author's drawings like designs of Zolotukhin or Mikhailov.
If we talk about a typical cage for adult rabbits, then the optimal parameters will be such sizes:
- Length - 120–150 cm,
- Width - 60–80 cm,
- Height - 60 cm.
For the purpose of rational consumption of material and for ease of maintenance, it is recommended to build paired cells. In this case, the length will increase to 3 m.
It is not necessary to save space and make smaller cells. Animals must have enough free space, otherwise they become sedentary, fall ill and cease to produce offspring.
In appearance, a typical cell resembles a block consisting of two sections, each of which can contain one adult individual.. In construction, wood and plywood are most often used for the frame and interior decoration, metal mesh with small cells for walls and partitions, as well as slate for the roof.
Gender cells are rarely made solid. It is usually harvested from narrow slats or used with a mesh, as this simplifies rodent care. Rabbits produce a lot of waste, which through a mesh or slatted floor into a specially installed tray. If the flooring is made solid, then it will have to be cleaned too often.
Necessary tools and materials
For the manufacture of a typical cage, you will need the following materials:
- Wooden beam - 10 pieces, size 300x3x5 cm,
- Plywood sheets - 2 pieces, size 150x150x0.1 cm,
- Metal mesh - 3 m with a cell size of not larger than 15 mm,
- Screws - about 2 kg. You will need sizes 3 and 7 cm,
- Hardware - door hinges and heck,
- Perhaps wooden slats for the floor as an alternative to metal mesh.
Tools for work:
- Hand saw or grinder,
- Scissors for metal or wire cutters,
- Cordless screwdriver or hammer with nails (instead of screws)
- Roulette, pencil, level.
Drawing of a typical cage for rabbits
In the drawing all the main structural elements are indicated and the dimensions are indicated in cm.
Instructions for making
- Construction should begin with the manufacture of the frame. Gather it from a wooden bar, which is cut according to size and fastened to screws or nails. If possible, the legs of the frame are recommended to go deep into the ground for greater stability of the structure.
- The floor of the future cell is collected from the slats, between which spaces of 0.5–1 cm are left, or metal mesh is put. Closed nesting compartments on the sides of the cage can be made solid by putting plywood.
- Plywood is also used to make the back and side walls of the cage, the feeder.
- Having made the doors with the help of a metal grid and the remains of wood, you should fix them with the help of fittings.
- At the end of the work, the cage is covered with a roof. Depending on the external conditions, they put a double roof (plywood and slate on top) or simply cover it with slate.
Cage for decorative rabbits
In addition to the covered part, there must be an open cage in the cage for decorative rabbits.
The larger the dwelling for the decorative rabbit, the better. The comfort of the animal is also provided by the construction of two-storey structures or open-air cages. Decorative rabbits, as a rule, are kept indoors, so the requirements for thermal insulation and protection from external factors are much lower for the construction of the dwelling..
The floor in a cage for decorative breeds of rabbits should be solid and soft. The surface of the paws of ornamental rodents is prone to inflammation and deformity, as it does not have soft pads. The ideal option is a wooden floor, covered with soft absorbent material (sawdust, special wood filler, soft straw, absorbent diapers, etc.).
All cages for rabbits are designed according to general principles, but different types of shelters have their own characteristics. The nuances of constructions depend mainly on the breeds and individuals that the rabbit farmer plans to contain. In any productive farm there are simultaneously several groups of rabbits of different ages or even breeds.
Depending on whether the rabbit cage will be outdoors or indoors, you should select suitable materials for construction and plan the dimensions of the structure. Cells can have from 1 to 3 tiers and an unlimited number of sections in length.
For rabbits of different ages (newborns, young animals, adults), special conditions of maintenance are required, respectively, and the cells for them will be different. For example, pregnant females with newborn baby rabbits are contained in special uterine cells with nests.
Cell size should be planned in such a way that animals have enough space and space. Obviously, the cages for giant rabbits and dwarf individuals will be very different from each other.
Depending on the size of the rabbits
The size of the cage is directly related to the dimensions of the future residents.
The optimal size for a spacious cage, which contain a pair of adult rabbits of standard dimensions:
- Length - 120–170 cm,
- Width - 60–80 cm,
- Height - 50–60 cm.
Dwarf and decorative (up to 4–5 kg) rabbits will have enough more modest conditions:
- Length - 70–90 cm,
- Width - 35–55 cm,
- Height - 30-50 cm.
Giant rabbits will need much more space:
- Length - 85–100 cm,
- Width - 70–80 cm,
- Height - 60–80 cm.
Productive rabbit breeding involves the simultaneous maintenance of a large number of rodents of different sex and age. To help the breeders come multi-tier structures for keeping animals. Cells are installed in two or three tiers. Cages in several levels for rabbits are capital constructions which, nevertheless, it is rather simple to build independently.
Popular with owners of rabbit farms are multi-tiered cells according to Zolotukhin’s drawings. They have several advantages:
- The ability to keep in one place all the representatives of rabbit families (females, young and males),
- It is convenient to care for animals,
- Zolotukhin's cells are rather mobile - they can be moved from place to place.
Depending on the destination
If the rabbit with rabbit dwells in the cage, then they definitely need to arrange a secluded place
Depending on the purpose, the rabbit cells are divided into several types, each of which has its own design features:
- Standard cage for permanent maintenance. The drawing of such a cage is easy to find on the Internet and build a home for rodents yourself. Pay attention to the size of the cage, which should not be too small, and the safety of materials
- The breeding cage should be much more spacious, since it will simultaneously contain several individuals
- A special type of house for a rabbit with rabbits or a pregnant female is called a mother liquor. A lonely place and warmth - these are the two main components of the comfort of a pregnant rabbit and her newborn rabbit. As a rule, the mother liquor has solid walls, a kind of house that mimics a cramped hole, and devices for feeding the mother,
- The cage for young stock meets the standard requirements, but is often equipped with an additional paddock for walking. The opportunity to warm up a little has a positive effect on the growth and development of young sturdy cubs. The walking area is made of metal mesh and often gives animals access to fresh grass.
Depending on the climate and time of year
The optimal temperature around for normal well-being rabbits - 14-16 degrees. Maintaining a normal climate in the houses and protecting animals from rain and wind are basic requirements for the design of rabbit cages..
In large rabbit farms, rodent maintenance in winter and summer provides for various types of cages. Winter is insulated with OSB or other fiber, sometimes they carry out water heating.
In regions with a temperate climate without sudden temperature changes, year-round rabbits can be kept in the same portable structures, which are transferred to a closed room when the first cold comes. In the summer, these cells are again transported to the open air.
Choosing a place to install
You can place rabbit cages both indoors and outdoors. Street maintenance is recommended only for regions with a warm climate, or in the case of the construction of well-insulated heated structures.
Rabbits do not tolerate high humidity, so the place should be chosen in the open air away from water bodies, preferably on high ground. Direct sunlight can also harm the health of rodents, so future breeders need to provide a special shed or shrub fence.
Placing the cages with the rabbits indoors, the open part of the structure should be turned to the windows. This will increase the daylight for animals and give them more warmth. Light day is generally very important for breeding, especially for young individuals. Therefore, in the autumn-winter period, it will be necessary to install additional lamps for lighting up and heating the cells.
Do not forget about the general hygiene in the premises where animals are kept. Rabbits produce a lot of waste that must be cleaned in a timely manner. At least once a year it is recommended to thoroughly clean the entire structure and the room itself. This will prevent the multiplication of bacteria and viruses.
Options rabbit cage feeders
In addition to the walls, floor and ceiling, housing for the constant maintenance of rabbits provides for the supply of fresh water and feed.. Now you can buy ready-made drinkers and feeders in stores or through specialized sites. However, simple feeders and drinkers can be made independently.
Some drawings of rabbit cages provide built-in structures, and for some feeding devices they must be installed separately.
The floor covering for decorative domestic rabbits must necessarily be soft, to prevent the animal from developing trapmatitis. The best options are sawdust or absorbent textile diapers.
How to teach the rabbit to the cage
If the cage is comfortable, the rabbit will get used to it quickly enough.
In the wild, rabbits live in burrows. With the productive content of animals to provide them proper privacy is very difficult. If a rabbit cage is designed incorrectly, has internal sharp corners, a small space or is located in a noisy place, animals will experience stress that will adversely affect their health and reproductive function.
To accustom the rabbit to a new dwelling is quite simple: you just need to provide him with the most comfortable conditions for life.
Breeding rabbits is a popular and profitable business in the countryside. Animals are kept in special cages that can be made independently. Using the information and advice from this article, any, even the most inexperienced breeder will be able to construct the correct cage, which is ideal for his rabbits.
Such houses are used when growing rabbits indoors - their compact size saves space. In its manufacture, only metal mesh is used, and the structure itself is installed on a stand, for example, a table or a window sill.
Street cells have a more complex structure - a skeleton made of wooden beams or metal rods is added. Be sure to install a canopy under which animals can shelter from the weather.
What is the best cell to do
Despite the large selection of nets in hardware stores, not every option is suitable for our purposes. For example, the walls of plastic mesh will be easily gnawed by the sharp teeth of animals, and if you lay the floor with it, then over time it will sag under the weight of rabbits. The best option is steel mesh, the cells of which are firmly fixed with the help of spot welding. Additional metal coating with hot-dip galvanizing will help your cell avoid corrosive processes and extend its life.
Металлическая сетка без защитного слоя оцинковки будет стоить немного дешевле, однако она значительно уступает в прочности оцинкованной и более подвержена гниению. The mesh, made of aluminum, is also not recommended for use - this metal is too soft, and during operation it can become so thin that a rabbit can fall through the holes formed.
Sizes of cells and diameter of rods
Experienced rabbit growers, when building rabbit cages of any design, recommend using two types of mesh:
- square cells - 2 * 2 cm, diameter of the rods - 0.4 cm,
- rectangular cells - 2.5 * 5 cm, diameter of the rods - 0.2 cm.
You should know that the size of the cells depends on the size of animals and their breed. For large breed rabbits, a large mesh should be selected.
The cage for one adult should be of the following sizes:
- length - 128 cm
- width - 80 cm
- height - 44 cm.
If you plan to keep several rabbits in one cage, then each pet should have at least 120 square meters. cm from the total area. The crowding of animals in tight spaces can lead to fights among males, crushing of young animals and the spread of various diseases in rabbits.
Required materials and tools
Before starting construction of the cage, prepare the following materials:
- metal grid,
- Metal sheet,
- foam sheet or plywood,
- wooden bars
- nails or screws.
In the process, you will need the following tools:
- hammer or screwdriver,
- scissors for cutting metal.
Construction of cell walls
The construction of the walls can begin with the manufacture of the frame. The order of work is as follows:
- Prepare the wooden boards and cut them to the desired size with a saw.
- Focusing on the dimensions of the structure, install them along its perimeter.
- Using a metal grid, hug a wooden frame. For reliable fastening, use nails and a hammer or screws and a screwdriver, respectively.
- Using scissors for metal, cut two rectangles of the desired size from the grid - these will be the ceiling and the floor in the cage. The ceiling can be immediately attached to a wooden frame with fixing materials. Be sure to handle all sharp corners with emery paper.
We make the pallet
Before fixing the floor in the cage, you need to install a metal pan, which can significantly speed up the process of cleaning the rabbit dwelling.
- To do this, fix the rectangular floor slightly above the bottom of the structure - usually enough space for one or two cells.
- Using scissors for cutting metal, cut a rectangle from a metal sheet - it will be a pallet. It must be installed in the resulting space after installing the floor.
- The pallet is fastened with nails or screws, like other construction details.
One of the main features of the winter rabbits is the warming of their cells with various insulating materials. The floor of the cage is usually covered with natural insulation - moss, straw, small twigs or dry foliage. For wall insulation, you can use sheets of plywood or foam. Cut rectangles of the required size and attach to the wooden frame. For fasteners use nails or screws.
In the cool season warm walls will protect your pets from drafts and cold air. As you can see, every fan of these animals will be able to cope with the construction of the grid house for rabbits. Using our recommendations, you can easily make a home for pets on your own.
Types of mesh
Many are puzzled, wondering which mesh is best for rabbits. The mesh used in the construction of poultry houses is unsuitable, as it is not strong enough to support the weight of an adult animal. The usual metal mesh quickly porzhaveet, which is fraught with injury, infection pads on the legs of the animal. Aluminum mesh is too soft for rabbit cages, over time it deforms and breaks the design.
Experts advise to use a hot-dip galvanized welded metal mesh. This material has a high, compared with other types, strength, reliably protected from corrosion by a protective layer. Advantages of galvanized welded mesh:
- animal safety
- easy operation
- affordable price.
You can buy it in any hardware store or on the market. It is presented in the form of rolls or sheets. The welded galvanized grid differs from other types by characteristic overflows at welding sites.
Choosing a grid, you should pay attention to the correctness of the shape of the cells. Any curvature indicates low quality of the material, as well as possible damage to the protective layer.
Types of construction
To collect cages for rabbits from the grid with your own hands, first of all you need to determine the place of keeping animals. From this will depend on the construction of the house. There are two types of mesh cells:
- indoor cage - frameless construction, made entirely of metal mesh, mounted on supports,
- street - frame construction with a roof or covered with a canopy. It is made with use of a wooden or metal basis, with a partial covering of walls.
Having decided on the type of construction, you should make a drawing of the future dwelling. The optimal size of the cage from the grid for rabbits for a single individual:
- width - 800 mm
- height - 440 mm
- length - 1280 mm.
In the drawing, it is necessary to take into account not only the dimensions of the cage, but also the support to which it will be installed. It is also important to indicate the location of the doors, feeders for bulk feed, water mains, drinkers, hay feeders.
If we are talking about a street cage, in the drawing it is necessary to note the size of the shed or roof.
To make a cage with your own hands, you need two types of mesh:
- with square cells 20 × 20 mm, diameter of rods not less than 4 mm,
- with rectangular cells 25 × 50 mm, diameter of rods not less than 2 mm.
In addition to the grid, you need to stock up:
- fixture: brackets, rings,
- metal sheet for pallets,
- plywood sheet
- wooden beam for the construction of the frame under the cage,
- nails or screws,
- metal corners,
- plastic edge or any other seal that protects sharp cuts on the mesh,
- roofing materials for roofing
- lock on the door.
Tools that are useful in the process of work:
- wire cutter for cutting the mesh,
- file for smoothing sharp cuts,
- scissors for cutting metal sheet in the manufacture of the pallet.
Even if the mesh cages for rabbits are designed for keeping one individual, they need to be made large: rabbits are mobile animals, they need space. It should be clarified that the proposed construction of the mesh cell is not suitable for the mother liquor, it is recommended to attach it to a separate structure.
After all measurements are made, you can proceed to assembly.
- The back and front walls make the same size, the same applies to the side parts.
- If the design is frameless, then the floor and ceiling are also cut the same size.
- The side parts are fastened together with fastening rings, galvanized brackets.
- The bottom of the cell is strengthened with a bar, which is inserted every 40 cm.
- On the floor, the grid is used only partially, the mother liquor and the bed are made of solid wood or wooden slats, so that during frosts the feet of the animal are not frozen to the rods.
- Street dwelling needs warming. The plywood is cut according to the size of the sides and fastened with canopies to the frame. Thus, in cold weather the walls will close the dwelling, and during the heat they can be opened for ventilation.
- To prevent the cell from falling out of the frame, clamps in the form of wooden corners are placed on all sides except the front one.
- Racks of such length are fastened to the box so that the floor of the cage is above the ground not less than 1.2 m.
- The cage for the cage is made of such a size that the mesh construction is easily accommodated in it. A box is knocked together from wooden bars, the attachment points are reinforced with metal corners.
- The floor of the cage is fixed with a space from the bottom to one cell. In the lower part of the front wall the rods are cut off. The resulting gap will serve as a niche into which the litter tray is inserted. It can also be made with your own hands or purchase plastic. If the floor area is large and the bottom is divided by reinforcing bars, separate pallets are made for each section.
- If necessary, install a partition from the same mesh or plywood inside the cage. Fastened to the adjacent walls with mounting brackets, rings. In the process of making cells, the sections in the reticular wall are leveled with a file, protected with an edge so that the animal does not get hurt by sharp edges.
- To make a rabbit cage tray yourself, you will need a galvanized iron sheet. The size should be greater than the cell bottom by a distance equal to one and a half cells in length and width. Clearances are needed to form the sides of the pallet. The edges of the iron on each side are bent perpendicular to the plane in the form of a trough. The height of the curved edge on all sides should be less than the width of the cell so that the pan can be easily inserted and extended.
- Cutting holes for metal on the places of the future door, feeders.
The sections on the grid must be smoothed down with a file to avoid injuries.
- For the manufacture of the door is taken grid for rabbit cages. The height and width of the segment should exceed the size of the doorway. Attach the door with two rings. The outer part is equipped with a deadbolt.
- For a street cage frame covered with additional materials: plywood, slate. Then the upper part is made with gaps from all sides of at least 40 mm.
- The final stage is the installation of feeders, water supply and drinkers. Experts recommend making them outdoor, it facilitates the care of them and simplifies the process of feeding.
In the manufacture of cages for rabbits is not recommended the use of mounts, mats and other items made of plastic. The animal will certainly nibble these parts and fill the stomach with plastic chips.
Summarizing, we should highlight a few important points.
- Rabbit netting is the most suitable material for making cages.
- For the manufacture of rabbit cages need to choose a welded galvanized mesh.
- To avoid injury, the floor grid is selected with smaller cells, and the cuts are aligned.
- Do not use plastic.
- Street cells outside are insulated with plywood.
To make a high-quality rabbit cage that will last a long time is easy if you apply your work and adhere to the recommendations given.
Rabbits, despite the fact that they are resistant to most diseases, are unpretentious in food and living conditions, still need a properly equipped house. Housing must be constructed according to the number of individuals, gender and age.
The cost of ready-made houses from imported materials can be paid back quite soon, so many come to the decision of self-built housing. This is a much better option. In this case, the question arises of how to make a rabbit cage out of the net. Making housing for eared does not require any special skills, it is enough to follow all the tips and correctly make calculations.
What mesh is needed for rabbit cells?
The main criterion for building a literate house for eared is the choice of material.
A galvanized metal mesh for a rabbit cage, which has a number of indisputable advantages over its counterparts, is best suited.
This material is famous for its durability, due to this, the need to periodically replace the walls of the house is lost. In addition, galvanized material provides resistance to rust and corrosion, which also affects the service life of the product. Due to the small size of the cells, the hares will not be able to gnaw the net, which also increases durability.
How to choose the diameter of the grid cells?
Metal mesh for rabbit cages with a cell diameter of 1.5-2 cm is best suited for construction. There is a grid with rectangular and square cells, it is preferable to choose the second option, because then the material is more stable, the possibility of sagging is excluded. You can use large cells with the purpose of arranging the roof, but for the floor it is better to take small ones so that the legs of the pets do not fall through.
Experienced rabbit breeders prefer hot-dip galvanized welded metal mesh. You can distinguish this look from others with the help of sagging on the weld seams. Such a mesh for a rabbit cage will last you for many years, thanks to a thick layer of zinc, it will please with resistance to corrosion and rust.
When choosing a grid, it is necessary to pay attention to the geometry of the cells; if the curvature is noticeable, then there is a poor fixation at the welding points. Also, if the rods are thin (less than 2 mm), then the mesh does not fit.
There are many options for building a house for breeding and keeping eared. Which option to stop is only for the owner of the animals, but it is necessary to pay attention to the convenience of housing.
Most often two variants of buildings are used, in which the grid is used for the rabbit cage:
- frameless cage on backwaters (more suitable for keeping animals indoors),
What you need to know to build a house for rabbits?
To make a house by yourself, it is necessary to acquire the necessary materials:
- grids with cells 25 x 50 and 10 x 25 mm,
- mounting rings
- tin sheets for pallets,
- plywood for walls and wall insulation,
- bars 50 x 100 mm for the frame,
- nails / screws,
- metal corners for the frame,
- canopies (7 pieces),
- plastic edge,
- bolts (1-2 pieces) for doors,
- materials for the roof, you can use slate / sheeting,
- tape measure
- a pencil
- with a hammer
- screwdriver / screwdriver
- a hacksaw,
- scissors for metal
- by file.
What is metal mesh
In the market of building materials there is a huge number of different types of mesh, and a person who has never had experience in keeping animals can accidentally get confused before such an impressive choice.
The most popular option for subsidiary farming is the chain-link. It will be used almost everywhere: it is used for finishing works, or a variety of fences are erected from it. Such popularity lies in the low cost and ease of use.
When self-fabricating cells, the chain-link is assigned the role of a “transparent” fence on the sides and along the top of the structure. It is worth considering that the material has a high mobility, and therefore will have to use a frame made of wood.
The use of this particular grid depends largely on what breed will live on the farm. In some species (giants), a disease develops — poddermatit, if animals are kept on floors made of chain-link.
It is recommended for large breeds to use a grid having cells of 20x20 mm. The maximum weight that the described material is capable of withstanding is 5 kg. Therefore, the owner needs to pay attention to the weight of rabbits. Excessive mass acting on the net causes it to sag, and as a result animals receive injuries of the extremities (sprains or fractures). To prevent such a situation, special slats are stuffed on top of the chain-link.
The next option is an all-metal mesh: it must be used, observing the same restrictions as with the first option. In addition to the aforementioned livestock breeder, it is worth considering the presence of burrs on the selected material, which lead to the formation of wounds on the legs of rabbits. If this option is suitable for farming, then before using the entire mesh is carefully inspected, and the burrs are removed with a file or sandpaper. It should be noted that the material has strength and durability, and therefore mounted cells can serve faithfully for more than one year.
Most breeders prefer galvanized nets, considering it to be the most acceptable option, but rather expensive. If there are a lot of animals on the farm, you will have to spend an impressive amount, but this is the option that can be said that the price corresponds to the quality. The advantages of the grid include the following:
- Rabbits are rodents that will try everything on the tooth. Rabbits can easily ruin thin aluminum wire, but galvanizing will become an insurmountable obstacle.
- Promotes penetration of lighting. Rabbits need light, like other animals. For the sun's rays will not be difficult to get through the thin grid.
- Corrosion and decay caused by high humidity will not affect galvanizing. It will not rust or rot, making the cells more durable.
- Easy to wash and disinfect. Keeping the farm clean is the key to animal health. Chemicals do not affect the integrity of the material.
Subtleties of choice
About the abundance of materials already mentioned above, now it remains to add only a few words. От пластикового варианта сеток лучше отказаться, поскольку для кролика не составит труда прогрызть материал и устроить себе побег.The question arises: is it possible to use plastic for flooring? Also not worth it, because the grid is very quickly stretched, torn and comes into complete disrepair.
The best option is a metal mesh, where fastenings are made by spot welding. Thanks to this treatment, the durable properties of the material increase. Special attention is paid to the thickness of the selected option, the minimum figure for a rabbit is not less than 2 mm.
Steel mesh is often equipped with a protective coating. This may be galvanized or polymers. There are stainless mesh or no coating at all. It is worth noting that the polymer coating, as well as the stainless network, are very expensive materials that owners are not always ready to acquire. The absence of a protective layer will lead to rapid deterioration of the cell from weather conditions.
Using aluminum is not the best option either. The material is very soft and easily deformed, which makes it impossible to use the cage for its intended purpose due to the significant risk of injury to animals.
Self-construction of the cell
As mentioned above, you can buy a cage or make it yourself. In order to make an animal-friendly design, one should adhere to the following recommendations:
- Initially, the dimensions of all designs are calculated. Even with a small number of animals, you should immediately make spacious cages, because rabbits will successfully reproduce, and animals will need free space. The approximate parameters of the cell: 50x40x120 (in width, height, length).
- For the manufacture of doors is wood, immediately it is necessary to equip the door with latch bolts or other locking devices.
- It is necessary to tamper with wooden slats on the net that serves as a floor covering, which will help prevent a number of animal health problems arising when keeping rabbits on the mesh floor.
- Cut mesh pieces of the right size and attached to the frame.
- If it is necessary to create a partition in the inner space of the cell, then you can also take a wall that will play the role of a wall.
- The ceiling is made of plywood or all the same mesh. If the cell is supposed to be placed indoors, then the use of roofing materials is impractical.
- The design for keeping rabbits is almost ready. It remains to place the tank for feed and water.
- Sheet metal is used to manufacture pallets where animal waste will accumulate.
So, the manufacture of a metal cage is completely over. All that is now required of the owner is to set the cage in the right place, put in the feed and transplant the animals.