Today, an eggshell for a vegetable garden or a garden rarely finds use as a fertilizer, but even gardeners who have heard about the benefits of top dressing do not always bring it under the plants correctly.
What exactly calcium flour is useful, and how to grow vegetables and fruits with it for your own joy, and your neighbors for envy?
Why eggshell is an ideal fertilizer for plants
There is an opinion that the shell of store eggs is saturated with chemicals and contains almost no nutrients. It is not, the immune system of the egg-bearing bird neutralizes the shell from harmful substances so that the chick is healthy. In the shell of chickens (quails) industrial production is no more toxins than in products from poultry. It contains many natural micro-macro elements:
- more than 90% calcium carbonate
- 1.5% magnesium,
- other minerals as well as vitamins.
All this enriches the soil, makes the land fertile, breathable (the plant receives enough oxygen), loose and soft.
And more about natural fertilizers:
Often, inexperienced gardeners simply do not know how to use egg shells as fertilizer - they scatter the unwashed shells in large pieces on the ground, as a result, it attracts flocks of birds willing to feast on the product useful for their bone and muscular system, but the earth remains without additional feeding. Be sure to pre-clean the shells and chop
Adding an article to a new collection
Not everyone knows that an egg shell, inconspicuous at first glance, can be an excellent fertilizer for your vegetable garden. We will tell you how to use it properly and how useful it is for vegetable crops.
Eggshell has long been used as a fertilizer. It is based on easily assimilable calcium carbonate (92-95%) and trace elements important for plant development: potassium, silicon, magnesium, phosphorus, etc. All plants, such as onions, carrots, cherries, and currants, are fertilized with this fertilizer in any form. , leaf lettuce, solanaceous crops, flowers.
Application of egg shell in the garden
The shell is used in agriculture as in a ground form, and in the form of infusion. But keep in mind: the smaller pieces of eggshell, the easier the substances from it are absorbed by plants. Therefore, in most cases, the collected material is recommended to be converted into flour.
Dried egg shells are ground in a meat grinder, mortar or coffee grinder.
Root top dressing for garden cultures
Dry shells from 4-5 eggs are ground to a powder. Then pour boiling water and cover with a lid. Then allow to settle for 5-7 days. The mixture is stirred daily. Then the liquid is diluted with water 1: 3 and watering seedlings of peppers, eggplants, beets and other vegetables and root crops.
Means for improving soil structure
Eggshell powder reduces soil acidity and at the same time feeds plants. To do this, usually use 1-2 glasses of crushed shell per square meter. And if the soil is very acidified, then make more - up to 1 kg per square meter.
In the autumn digging of the plot, the shells of rough grinding are mixed with the soil. This makes the ground more friable and improves air access.
Before using the shell is recommended to calcine in the oven. This will help calcium to "go" into the soil faster.
Protective agent against diseases and pests
The powder from the shell powders the seedlings of plants for protection against the "black leg", and by introducing this agent into the soil they protect the roots of the plants from the invasion of moles.
In addition, the eggshell is a reliable means of fighting with Medvedka. To do this, grind the shell, add sunflower oil and bury it between rows of planted plants. After such a "treat" the pest dies.
You can simply chop the egg shells to a powder and sprinkle around the plants in the garden
And also the shell poured under the plants prevents the invasion of slugs, which rough surfaces are unpleasant.
Eggshell, even in large quantities, does not harm plants. Therefore, such a budget and useful dressing can be put in the wells just before planting any crops. Just sprinkle a small handful - and your green pets will respond with rapid growth and excellent harvest.
The composition and structure of eggshell
In general, calcium in its pure form is a metal, in nature calcium compounds are more common - bicarbonates and salts formed from it. These salts are the constituents of limestone, chalk, and the shells of any eggs. Calcium carbonate takes up to 95% of the content in the composition of the solid shells of the egg. In addition, another 27 elements of the chemical periodic table are present in it. These are magnesium carbonate, magnesium phosphate, phosphorus, potassium, iron, aluminum, sulfur. In percentage terms, they occupy a very small part, but with constant fertilizer they will not go unnoticed either.
The films accompanying the shells themselves from the inside are rich in organic matter. Predominantly mucin and keratin.
The structure of calcium bicarbonate, which is present in large quantities in the shell, is different from the structure of the chemically obtained chalk.
PAY ATTENTION: Since the shell is created by nature itself, the calcium salts have a completely different crystalline form, which is better absorbed by plants.
Why shell is good for plants
Shelled eggs in ground form and in water infusions will benefit your garden, especially if it is on clay, heavy and acidic soils, because it contributes to:
- soil deoxidation. All over the world, soils with a pH level of 5.5 to 7 are considered fertile. Only with these indicators can the dissolution of nutrients surrounding the roots of a plant occur, and the absorption of these vital materials for photosynthesis and growth. And if the value is level 5, then this means that the soil is highly acidic, toxic to many plants, and you need to reduce acidity 100 times to lower this figure to an acceptable 6,
- mineral enrichment
- increase soil looseness. Plots allocated for gardens, are often clayey, heavy in structure. This (in addition to acidification) does not allow air to reach the root system, it leads to stagnation of water in the soil, and when the weather changes, it causes cracking of the soil and cutting off the roots. Adding egg shells significantly improves the aeration properties of the earth,
- repelling pests (medvedka, slugs, moles). If powder can be used for slugs and snails, then large pieces of shells are recommended for bearheads, shrews and moles. You can only slightly break it with your hands. The sharp edges of hard shells will prevent the spread of pests,
- protection against certain diseases (blackleg, vertex rot).
Using egg shells as fertilizer
Chemical composition and trace elements
Eggshell as an organic fertilizer is a suitable alternative to industrial feedings, a natural complex of microelements and organic compounds created by nature itself for feeding the embryo. This fertilizer, cooked at home, will be useful to many crops, fruit trees and shrubs, indoor and garden flowers.
Pure calcium (metal) is rare in nature. More often it can be found in compounds - bicarbonates and salts formed from them, which constitute chalk, lime, as well as the shells of any eggs. Their shell contains about 90% calcium carbonate. It is well absorbed, because calcium carbonate underwent a synthesis process in the body of the bird. In addition to calcium carbonate, the egg shell contains other micro- and macroelements indicated in the table:
100 g of raw shells
100 g of calcined powder
Useful properties of eggshell
Calcium carbonate not only activates the growth of foliage and shoots, but also plays an important role in the process of photosynthesis, metabolism and oxygen supply to the plant. The main benefit of this tool is to reduce the acidity of the soil and improve the quality of the earth. Excessive acidification of the soil adversely affects fertility, the plants develop poorly, become ill, their productivity decreases.
To bring the acidity of the soil to normal, per 1 m2 it takes 500 g of egg-dressing. For infertile, clayey, loamy, peaty and silty soils, this amount is doubled. Egg cleaning powder is an excellent baking powder that increases the breathability of the soil. As a result, the roots of plants receive more oxygen, during a drought a solid crust does not form on the surface of the beds, loosening can be carried out less often.
Crumbly ground absorbs water faster, leaving no channels through which the fluid goes deep. Moisture is distributed evenly - this reduces the amount of water consumed. In addition to improving the aeration properties of the earth, eggshells discourage pests - slugs, medars, moles. For the latter, you need to use large pieces of the shell, which will interfere with their movement. Protection against blackleg and top rot is another useful feature of natural fertilizer.
Egg shell fertilizer is produced in several ways. The first is to simply sprinkle the powder on the ground and then close it up with a rake. This procedure can be carried out before or after landing. Recommended applications:
- to feed in the wells when planting potatoes, onions, beets, watermelons, melons, zucchini,
- Sprinkle on top of the ground to protect against the clutches of cabbage butterflies, cruciferous flea, to reduce the growth of weeds and mulching,
- used in infusions and decoctions when watering,
- shallowly buried in the ground around the trees, so as not to harm the root system.
Eggshell powder can be scattered by hand, but it is more rational to use a special self-made invention - in a plastic bottle at the same distance from each other make small holes through which the flour will evenly crumble to the ground. In order to use the beneficial composition of regrettable films, it is possible to prepare infusions without removing them.
What vegetables, berries, fruits "love" egg shells
For which plants is the calcium groove feeding especially useful? Approximately 2 cups of calcium flour from the shell is used per square meter of soil. It is very beneficial to make it into the soil of the garden to improve the growth and development of the following vegetables and melons:
- tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, eggplants. As well as carrots, beets, cabbage, potatoes. Melons, watermelons,
- shrubs and fruit trees adore this dressing: raspberry, apple, gooseberry. Currant, pear, viburnum, apricot,
- adding eggshell increases the yield of strawberries, strawberries,
- Calcium stone fruits are especially needed (cherries, bird cherry trees, plums, and others), since a lot of mineral is spent in bone formation,
- citrus, legumes, conifers and green crops also need calcium fertilizer.
From its pieces an excellent drainage is obtained when growing seedlings in disposable cups. However, a surplus of calcium can harm young seedlings.
Chicken or quail eggshells are commonly used as fertilizer, because geese or turkeys have a very dense structure that is difficult to process into flour.
Calcium Flour Preparation
First you need to thoroughly wash the shells, and then immediately dry (put in the sun or warm in the oven). The main thing is to prevent the remnants of proteins on the walls, otherwise the future fertilizer will deteriorate.
The cleaned product can be crushed in a meat grinder, coffee grinder or other convenient way.
It is best to walk on it with a rolling pin, and afterwards to grind. Large pieces decompose long enough, and do not act on plants as quickly as small crumbs.
You should not save huge bags of powder, it is better to grind a little.
Finished calcium flour can be laid out on the banks, tightly closing the lid. Or stored inside paper bags. It is better not to use plastic bags - moisture is condensed inside the air, which causes rotting of the product.
How to make a liquid calcium solution
For infusions, you can use small pieces of shell and powder.
Lay out on glass jars, pour water and, tightly sealing the lid, put in a cool place without light.
After a week and a half - two weeks, when the tincture becomes cloudy, it will smell unpleasant, it's time to shed vegetable plants and fruit trees. Pre-dilute the liquid with plain water (1: 3 ratio).
Such feeding will help to grow a great crop.
Tiny cups for seedlings from the shell
You can use the halves of the egg for the distillation of plants from seed - it immediately receives the necessary calcium and other trace elements.
You can plant such seedlings together with egg "cups", at the same time fertilizing the soil.
Most often, this method is used in the cultivation of cabbage, pepper, tomatoes and melons.
Some simply burn the particles of the shell with the ashes, getting rich in trace elements fertilizer without washing, drying and grinding. Eggshell as a fertilizer produces a wonderful effect when used in any form.
Protective abilities of the shell
Use it in the garden can be to repel pests.
How to do it:
- against the moles will help pieces put in the hole,
- fine powder, scattered next to the culture, protects from slugs and medvedki.
In addition, the ground eggshell is not only natural calcium fertilizer, it is used to protect (alkalinity) souring soil in clay or marshy structures.
To reduce the acidity and increase the fertility of the site is enough for 1 square. m. pour the crushed flour from 30 chicken to 50 quail eggs. If we consider that an average family consumes from 30 to 100 eggs per month - 5 to 10 kg of unique useful calcium fertilizer is thrown into the garbage per year.
It is easier to determine the acidity: with a special device or by pouring a lump of earth with vinegar - if foam or bubbles appear, it means that there is enough alkali in it. If there is no reaction, the soil turns sour, it's time to lime it with a calcium dressing. When fertilizing the soil with eggshell, in spring or autumn, there is no difference.
The use of egg shells in the garden increases the yield by 2 times greater than it was before. Its origin is completely unimportant: material was taken from a domestic chicken coop or from a local poultry house.
It is pleasant to evaluate the result of our efforts, understanding that such a high yield was achieved without the use of chemical pesticides and nitrates.
For which plants can be used as a fertilizer shell
As you know, each plant has its own individual preferences. Some of them love the greater acidity of the soil, some less. Therefore, trying to feed the infusion from the shells or pour into the ground the powdered powder from them to violets (Saintpaulias of the Saints) is not only useless, but even harmful.
It is not necessary to make an excess of alkaline additives in the planting of asters. Seedlings of tomatoes, peppers and eggplants would rather be glad of watering from the shells, than direct to the substrate.
But they will respond very positively to the introduction of the shell into the ground:
- leaf salad,
- all kinds of cabbage
- watermelons, melons,
- greens (parsley, dill, celery),
- legumes (peas, beans, beans),
- stone fruit cultures (cherry, plum),
- seed trees (apple, pear),
- Bushes of raspberry, currant, gooseberry,
- citrus and conifers.
To find out what kind of soil prevails on your site, you can use the official method: take samples and take them to the laboratory, where after the research you will be given the exact numbers.
Recently, indicator tapes have become popular. A strip of such a tape is moistened with wet soil and immediately determined indicators of acidity.
But there is a faster and more affordable way: about 50 g of soil is collected in a bottle, and water is added up to 200 ml. Instead of a cap, use a compressed (rolled) rubber nipple (napalechnik). After a few minutes of vigorous shaking, bubbles from a chemical reaction will begin to form in the bottle. If this rubber on the nipple stretch a little, the soil is slightly acidic. But if gas formation is strong, then most likely liming you will not escape.
Gardeners recommend to determine the acidity of the soil simply look at the weeds growing in your garden.
On the neutrality of the soil will say:
Sour soil denote:
On alkaline grow:
DO NOT FORGET: one shell for a good development of garden plants is not enough!
Shells can be combined with purchased fertilizers, and you can combine this natural delicacy with the same natural fertilizers as onion peel, ash, banana skins, orange peel, nettle, walnut shells, potato peels. Известны данные, что картофель не болел и вырастал крупный и ровный, если в лунки при его посадке добавляли золу, скорлупу и луковую шелуху в сухом виде.
Синтез яичной скорлупы и луковой шелуху дадут максимальный эффект
Из банановых шкурок и цедры любых цитрусовых лучше делать отвары (настои). For example: 10 egg shells and a peel of 2 oranges are crushed, boiled for about half an hour in 3 liters of water, after infusing and cooling for several hours you can water not only seedlings, but also any indoor plants that suffer from a lack of fertilizers, especially in spring.
Eggshell as a fertilizer for the garden
For top dressing of garden plants, it is better to use homemade chicken egg cleaning - they have a higher concentration of nutrients, but you can also use store. At the end of winter, in the new clutch, egg shells contain the maximum amount of calcium and other nutrients. Cleaning brown eggs is more beneficial than whites. For high-quality fertilizer one sq.m. soil in the garden need to use powder from 100 shells. This method is not rational, so from the egg shells prepare feeding or nutritional infusions.
For indoor flowers
Plants that grow at home on the windowsill need to be supplemented with additional water, but many growers neglect this factor. Limited housing environment for succulents, flowers is unfavorable, especially in winter - they do not have enough light, oxygen and humidity. It is not necessary to feed the plants with industrial fertilizers. For indoor flowers the egg shell is perfect, from which they prepare a nourishing infusion:
- It is necessary to grind the workpiece blender, pour water.
- Leave for 2-3 days, stirring occasionally.
- During this period, the nutrients will go into the water.
Another way to use egg waste is to create drainage. For this, the dried and calcined shell is broken into large pieces and laid on the bottom of a flowerpot in several layers, with a total thickness of up to three centimeters. This layer ensures the removal of excess fluid from the roots, the normal circulation of water, does not allow it to stagnate, wander or rot.
To find out what the soil on the site, you can take the soil in the laboratory, where they will issue a conclusion with the data. If you are using an indicator tape, wet it with wet earth and immediately recognize the result. There is another way: put a few spoons of earth in a bottle, pour a glass of water. Instead of a cap, use a rubber nipple. Intensively shake the bottle for a few minutes until foam appears. If the rubber on the nipple stretches a little, then the soil is alkaline, strong gas formation is an indicator of acidified soil.
What is a useful shell for plants?
About the indisputable benefit of the shell of eggs, in whatever form it was not used, milled or liquid, our far ancestors even asserted.
- The unique product deoxidizes the soil. The acidity in the indicator 5.5–7 is considered to be generally accepted for fertile soil cover. Only due to such conditions it is possible to ensure the absorption of nutrients by the root system of plants, which is important for such processes as growth and photosynthesis.
Level 5 warns of excessive acidity and toxicity of the soil. For a number of representatives of the flora is disastrous. It is required to reduce the acidity to about 6.
- The soil composition is enriched with minerals.
- The soil is becoming looser. Zones occupied by a vegetable garden are usually located on clayey and heavily structured areas. On plants, this factor is reflected negatively, because the air is not easy to reach the roots. The result is stagnant water in the ground, and if the weather changes, the soil cracks and the roots break. The use of the shell leads to the fact that the aeration properties of the soil are improved.
- To such pests of cultures as a bear, slugs, and moles from an egg-shell try to keep as far as possible. To combat slugs and snails, it is recommended to take this product, pre-milled. But shrews, bears and moles are more afraid of this product, scattered pieces.
- The unique product is endowed with protective properties against a number of ailments (it fights against vertex rot, black leg). Especially acceptable for tomato seedlings.
We collect and store the shell correctly
The main problem faced by gardeners, collecting shells for a year, is their smell. But there are two ways to properly store such fertilizers.
- The first option is washing with cold water before putting it into storage. So you can get rid of the remnants of organic matter and films.
- The second method is roasting in the oven at high temperature.
When the shells are washed, gardeners can dry them near the battery, and they will not smell. But the disadvantage is that the films contain valuable substances that are simply removed during washing.
Calcination is a more troublesome option, since you will still have to collect a certain amount of shell. But then it will be easier to grind fertilizers and crush into powder.
Preparing the tincture is simple:
- A liter jar should be filled with a shell that you need to knead beforehand. You can use a meat grinder.
- Cover the jar to the top with warm water, close tightly with a lid and leave to infuse for 5 days.
- Every day the contents need to shake.
- Determine the readiness of the tincture can be on the appearance of smell and strong turbidity of water.
The liquid from the canister is drained and refilled with water. Drained water can already be used. Pour the shell 3 - 4 times.
The tincture should be infused in a warm and dark place, and use immediately after preparation.
The bank must be closed, because the shell because of the remnants of organic matter will emit.
Eggshell as a vegetable garden fertilizer is traditionally used ground into fine fraction powder. It is permissible to make it in any way, and then just scatter it across the beds.
How to use egg shells for plant use
It is important to learn how to properly make such nutrient fertilizers in the ground.
- Powder should be scattered on the beds in small portions. The first time powder sprinkled beds when planting seeds or seedlings. This is the primary feeding. It is advisable to apply fertilizer directly to the planting pits, as it often does not happen much. It is usually enough to deposit about 300 g of powder per square of earth per season to enrich it.
- The tincture is diluted with water at the rate of 1: 5. She just poured a little bit of seedlings or plants in the garden.
What plants can be harmed by fertilizer
Fertilizing with egg shells, despite all its beneficial properties and high content of micro and macro elements, can not all plants. For some crops, such ecological supplements are even harmful.
The shells of any eggs saturates the soil with calcium, and individual cultures do not tolerate this element at all.
As a result, plants can hurt or develop badly, the quality of the harvest is reduced, or the plants cease to bear fruit.
- Do not tolerate such fertilizers cucumbers of all varieties, as well as strawberries and strawberries. These cultures react to such dressing very violently.
- Dislikes calcium and beans of all varieties, as well as cabbage.
- Does not tolerate such additives and spinach.
As for the cultivation of indoor plants, some indoor flower cultures also do not like calcium. This hydrangea, which is planted for the summer in the garden, as well as delicate violets, pelargonium and azalea.
Help in the fight against pests
The insect shells can even be used in greenhouses. On the site just crumbles powder. Especially well protects the shell of tomato seedlings from diseases and insects. You can scatter not crushed shells, but simply put them as a whole near the bushes.
Summing up, I must say that it is possible and necessary to use egg shells in the garden and in the garden. This is a budget version of the mineral dressing, which is too expensive in the store. In addition, this fertilizer is completely natural, which allows you to grow organic crop.
So, without spending a penny on the purchase of fertilizers, you can, using waste from the kitchen, fertilize berries, garden, vegetable garden and houseplants.