Growing chickens on homestead lands allows supplying the family with ecologically clean and fresh meat and eggs. Chickens do not require daily labor-intensive personal care. Chickens are not eaten much. In food unpretentious. But 70% of the time and money for the maintenance of chickens goes to feed them.
Even if the food is on the surface, chickens have an innate habit of digging it. Therefore, they climb into the food with their feet, scatter it, overturn the feeder.
What it is?
This is a product that feeds chickens as the pan empties. Any feeder consists of a bunker where food is poured and a trayfrom where the hens peck him. The farmer drops the feed into the bunker, from where he independently moves portions to the feeding place.
The bunker must be tightly closed so that the chickens do not get to the feed and do not eat it all at once or do not scatter it in the hen house.
Having an automatic feeder, the farmer does not have to keep track of the feeding time and go to the chicken coop 3-4 times a day to pour a new batch.
Feeders are divided by the method of feeding:
- Tray. A flat product made of wood, iron or plastic with sides to prevent scattering of feed. Used for feeding chickens.
- Gutter. It is made for giving of different types of a forage. Consist of several branches.
- Bunker. Allows you to pour food once a day. Grain or feed wake up in the trough as emptying. The garbage does not get trash due to the closed design.
- In the feeder should be placed so much food that was enough for all birds in the farm. In the manufacture of trough feeders, plan the length so that each hen has 10-15 cm. For chickens half as much. The feeders should be provided with an approach from any side, so that they do not push aside the weaker and they do not remain without food.
- The feeder must have certain restraints so that the chickens do not have the opportunity to enter the bunker, scatter and soil food.
- Must be mobile, easy to fill, disassemble and clean.
Feeders with their own hands made from plastic buckets and bottles, from wood and iron. But the most inexpensive, easy-to-use and durable are feeders made of plastic PVC, or sewer pipes.
- Plastic tube feeder is the most reliable of all. It is attached to the wall and chickens; in the process of feeding and searching for food, they cannot turn it over and scatter grain. Grain is consumed more economically.
- One trough made of pipes is enough for 20 chickens.
- The longer the pipe, the more you can load feed there. Typically, such a structure holds up to 10 kg of dry food and will not need to run into the chicken coop several times a day.
- Plastic has no limit on operating life. The product is made in a couple of hours and can serve for many decades.
- Plastic pipes are very inexpensive and are available at any hardware store.
Feeders made of PVC pipes are: with holes, with cutouts and tee. The choice of feeding device depends on the size of the chicken coop and the location of the cages with the bird.
If you are concerned about how to make a trough with your own hands from polypropylene, plastic and other types of pipes, then you can see the photo:
Can I buy in stores?
The selection of feeders in stores begins from the simplest bunker to high-tech devices with a timer and the function of the spread of food.
The price for the most simple bunker feeders is about 500-1000 rubles, but for high-tech products you will have to pay 5000-6000 rubles. The feeder body material also influences the price.. ABS plastic feeder is 6.5 thousand rubles. From steel with powder coating 8.5 thousand rubles.
In the shops you can find troughs completely ready for installation and operation. They immediately have a feed tank and a tray.
And even better to make the feeder yourself out of scrap materials.. It will be much cheaper and will correspond to the population of birds.
Where to begin?
In order to make a feeder with cuts or holes you will need the following PVC parts and accessories:
- 2 PVC pipes. 60 cm and 80-150 cm. With a diameter of 110-150 mm.
- Knee. Accessory connecting pipes at right angles.
- 2 plugs for pipe diameter.
For feeders with a tee should be purchased:
- 3 PVC pipes of 10, 20, 80-150 cm. With a diameter of 110-150 mm.
- 2 plugs.
- Tee with an angle of 45 degrees under the pipe d = 110 mm. Tee can be two-way. Then more chickens can peck at the same time.
- Accessories for mounting the pipe to the wall.
For a vertical bunker trough, less materials will be needed.:
- 1 pipe up to 150 cm long.
- 1 corner at 45 degrees.
- 1 corner at 90 degrees.
How to do it yourself?
The feeder is similar in shape to the Latin letter L. The vertical tube serves as a feed hopper.. The horizontal tube will be the feeding place:
- On a pipe 80 cm long mark the centers of the holes.
- Draw holes D = 70 mm. The distance between the edges of the holes is 70 mm. Holes can be in two rows.
- Electric drill with a circular crown make holes in the pipe.
- We process the holes with a file so that the chickens do not cut themselves on the burrs.
- On one side of the pipe we put on the cap, on the other side the knee.
- We put a vertical pipe into the knee.
- Attach the design to the wall.
- Along a pipe 80 cm long we draw two parallel lines at a distance of 5 cm from each other.
- We take a wooden block-piece with dimensions 10x5 cm and draw the places of future slots on the pipe. The distance between the slots is 5 cm.
- Drill a hole in the corner of each drawn rectangle.
- Use the jigsaw to cut out the slots.
- We clean the edges with a file.
- Dress the cap on one end of the pipe and knee on the other.
- Insert the vertical tube into the knee.
- Fasten the design to the wall.
Watch the video about making feeders for chickens from PVC pipe with slots:
How to design a feeder from a plastic pipe
Feeding birds is an important process that ensures their health and productivity. For convenient and economical food, you can make feeders from plastic pipes for chickens with your own hands.
Traditional bowls and troughs for feeding livestock are extremely inefficient. Chickens love to rake food, making it a large number on the ground. Open bowls also easily collect garbage and feces of other chickens, not to mention the fuss that the birds create.
It is very simple to organize devices for feeding chickens with your own hands from materials for the water supply, because it does not take much time, and the necessary tools are in every home. In addition, it is reliable, since such troughs are durable and can be used as automatic.
Tools and materials
To make such a system for birds with your own hands, you will need:
- PVC sewer pipe, the optimal length is 1 meter,
- tee with a slope of 45 degrees
- PVC plugs of the same size
- metal saw
- clamp (wire or nails).
Ready for chicken design
- First you need to cut the surface of the pipe with a saw into three parts: 10 cm, 70 cm and 20 cm.
- We put a cap on a 20 cm plane - this will be the basis of the finished structure.
- Upside set tee side knee.
- In this tee put a long PVC. It should be closed with a plug from the opposite end.
- A 10 cm length of pipe is inserted into the hole on the side.
- A handmade product is considered ready. From both ends (top and bottom) it is fixed to the wall of the chicken coop. It will be more convenient if you attach it to a bar or metal grid.
- The feeder is filled with bulk food.
When chickens eat part of the feed from a bent knee, it is automatically filled under the weight of the feed. The birdies will peck the feed through the side tee hole. It is necessary to close the top of the feeder at night so that no debris or dust gets into it.
Ready system for power
The disadvantage of this trough can be attributed to the inability to feed several chickens at once. Food can also be poured out here, but in small quantities. In this case, it is convenient to install several such structures, or use the second option.
You can make a feeder for chickens with your own hands from the same material in another way. This option is designed for a larger number of birds, so it is suitable for large farms. It also uses a different way to get food - the feeding holes are at a lower level, which can be convenient for growing birds. In such a system, food is saved, because birds cannot climb into a container to rake it.
Birds eat from plastic
Placement of the finished feeder
The design is attached to a vertical surface with a wire, as in the photo. It is wrapped on top and bottom to the pole or grid. The horizontal part of the feeder should be at the bottom, and feed should be poured into the top hole. It will automatically fill the plane below, as it is eaten. At night, such a feeder also closes to keep food clean.
A product made of pipes of this type does have a slightly cumbersome look, as well as more connecting parts, and therefore requires a roomy chicken coop. Stock feed will be enough for about a day - this is 10-15 layers. Sometimes the bottom of the structure is not lowered onto the floor, but kept on weight so that the chickens cannot insert their head completely into the holes. If an adult young is present in the hen house, he will be able to use such a system when it is on the floor.
Layers Peck Grains
Thus, using pipes you can make feeders for chickens with your own hands. This method will save the farmer time and money for the purchase of feed.
Feeder for chickens with their own hands from the pipe: photo and video master class
With the onset of spring at the end of autumn, our family lives in a country house. We grow vegetables, take care of the garden and shrubs, as well as keep chickens and rabbits. Chickens carry eggs all season, and rabbits produce offspring. Of course, every day there is a question of feeding. At first, we fed the bird, emptying the food into containers. They realized that this was an unfortunate idea: the hens turned over the containers with the grain to the ground, the sparrows pecked at the remaining grain. It is very expensive, because we buy food, and, quite expensive. The idea came to make a special device that will be sustainable, protect the grain from the effects of rain and faith, as well as from the encroachment of other birds.
For the manufacture of homemade feeders for chickens needed the following material:
Connect the pipes in the sequence shown in the photo. Cut off the places marked with a marker with a saw, drill the holes.
Several simple options for the construction of feeders made of PVC pipes
Traditional chick feeders in practice are very inefficient and impractical, because birds often climb into them, scatter food, litter and eventually turn the dishes upside down. Poultry breeders have to constantly monitor the condition of the feeders and spend a lot of time cleaning them. Special devices will help to get rid of such problems - feeders made of PVC sewer pipes that can be made by hand. How? Let's consider.
Feeding trough for chickens from PVC pipes do it yourself
The people who breed in the countryside breeding chickens are well aware of how careless they feel about the feed poured into the open feeders, a quarter can simply be spread around the yard and trampled into the mud with their paws. Also, if the feeder stands in the open air (on the street in the courtyard of the house), migratory birds often fly up)) Do not disdain chicken food and rodents, they are mainly attached to the feeder during a quiet night, while chickens sleep on the roost) In general, feed losses go quite large, sometimes even half will go nowhere. For this reason, the author decided to create an economical and very easy to manufacture feeder from a plastic bucket and PVC pipes (corners).
The principle is as follows: we take a plastic bucket and drill holes in the side where the polypropylene corners are then inserted, they should be 2-3 cm away from the bottom. That is, when the bucket is completely filled with food, it will slowly settle as it is consumed its chickens, “Everything is simple, like a white day.” You can also make a viewing window at will, so that you can see the fill level of the bucket with food when the lid is closed.
And so, let's consider what exactly the author will need to create chickens feeders from PVC pipes?
1. plastic bucket 10-15 liters
2. polypropylene corners 70 mm
1. drill with 70 mm core drill
2. hot melt glue gun
4. gun for sealant
5. office knife
Step-by-step instructions for making chickens from PVC pipes and a plastic bucket with your own hands.
As already mentioned above, the loading bin is a regular plastic bucket, in this case 10 liters and three corners on the sides to penetrate the inside of the chicken head feeder) You can also use more capacity, for example, a 20 l bucket or a barrel. If you need a long-acting feeding trough, so that you once fell asleep the feed and forget for a week, then it’s wise to use a plastic barrel of 40-50 liters.
In general, the idea can be developed further and make improvements.
And so, first of all, the author prepared the following components: a plastic bucket of 10 liters, polypropylene corners for 70 mm and a sealant with a gun.
Next, you should try on the corner to the wall of the bucket and circle the circle with a marker.Attention Important!The corner should be located 2-3 cm from the bottom of the bucket, so that as the food decreases, feed goes to the feeding area.
Then the hole is drilled with a drill and a crown of 70 mm, a PVC corner is inserted into the hole made and fixed with hot glue, and for greater reliability you can also use a sealant.
In order to visually take control of the level of feed in the feeder without opening the lid, you should make a viewing window in the wall of the bucket. Everything is done very simply, namely with the help of a ruler and a marker, marking is made in the form of a strip 2-3 cm wide, and then along the contour is cut with a clerical knife. After that, you need a transparent plastic, which can be taken from an ordinary plastic bottle, also we cut a strip, but it should be 1–1.5 cm larger in length and width. We apply, drill holes and rivet, pass the edges with hot glue, and then another with sealant.
That's actually the feeder for chickens ready, pour food.
As a stand, the author used a couple of bricks to match the growth of the hen and she could walk freely and pick up the grain.
As you can see, the feeding trough from a plastic bucket and polypropylene corners turned out to be maximally closed, and the chickens no longer spread their forage, the grain losses will sharply decrease. Birds will also be overpowered and fed.
Materials for the manufacture of budget and publicly available, step by step instructions provided to you, so we take and do. Dare friends!
Advantages: minimal feed loss, ease and mobility, large bunker volume.
Disadvantages: when the feed is consumed, the feeder's weight will decrease and the chicken may turn it over, it is necessary to refine and make a stable stand.