A new type of fence - a fence of gabions, which combines a grid and stones, can be called universal.
For his device you will need to buy a grid for gabion, fix it with special fasteners and fill with stones. Suitable as large cobblestones and pebbles.
Many generally dispose of construction debris in this way or fill the mesh boxes with wood sawn off.
Moreover, such a stone fence looks creative, and its price is much lower than that of a metal or brick fence.
Photos of fences from the gabion:
What is gabion?
And there is: In the process of building fences, special mesh boxes made of thick wire are filled with large cobblestones, sea “naked”, pebbles, rubble - with any natural stone.
The advantages of the structure are obvious:
- Stone and metal mesh - one of the most durable materials. In combination, they give a powerful wall.
- Stone is a natural material that is safe for the environment and humans.
- The fence does not need care.
- The fence of mesh boxes with stone "filling" looks very stylish and fits perfectly into any natural landscape.
- For construction do not need to use concrete, mortar, nails - no fastening and connecting elements.
- The cost of stones is low, mesh boxes are also inexpensive - this type of fence is one of the most economical in the segment.
- With minimal skill and a great desire to easily build a fence of gabions with their own hands.
First of all, you need to choose the right stones.
The following parameters are important here:
- Size - they can be from 7 to 40 cm in diameter, and the diameter of the grid cells is selected according to the size.
- Form - it can be oval or rectangular, but you should not get flat stones.
- Strength to is also important - a gabion from sandstone, for example, will not be as resistant to external influences as possible.
- Frost resistance - do not forget about this indicator, otherwise in winter the stones can crack from the cold and get enough sleep in the cells that have become large for their particles.
- The aesthetic look is also an important parameter, the gabion should look beautiful and fit into the environment.
Grid for gabions
Grid for gabions
Boxes from the grid, you can buy ready-made or make yourself. There is a third way - to tighten the grid on the support-pillars and fill with stones. In this case, the box will not be needed.
The pins are inserted into the spiral, which go into the ground and fix the structure.
The top of the resulting box remains open - stones will be poured into it. After the stones are filled, the mesh “cover” is attached to the box with a spiral.
The process of building a fence from gabions with your own hands can be divided into 3 stages:
- Stage 1 - marking the territory
Marking the area for the fence
This is a preparatory stage, in the process of which the territory of the future fence is designated and it is carefully marked.
After measurements calculations are made, and the necessary amount of materials is calculated.
- Stage 2 - installation of pillars or ducts
Further, depending on what method you have chosen, the installation of pillars is required (or not required).
On the marked ground digging holes, allowing to deepen the pillars by one third (for a two-meter fence pit should be 1.2 m). A rectangular or square pillar is installed in the pit. The base is filled with cement mortar.
This method requires additional costs, materials and time, but it allows you to stretch the mesh cloth directly onto the supports, skipping the stage of mounting boxes.
The net is fastened to the posts with hose clamps attached to bolts and nuts. Also for strength, tie brackets will be needed.
If you decide to install a fence of individual fragments, pay special attention to the fastening of the sections of the fence, gabions are attached to each other with special ties or spiral twist.
When buying ready-made mesh boxes fasteners are included.
Finished sections are installed on a flat stretch of soil and filled with stones.
Video: installation of gabion fence
Fence from the gabion do it yourself: step by step instructions
For the construction of fences in the construction of using various materials. The main selection criterion is reliability and durability. Special attention is paid to aesthetic characteristics. Based on these requirements, a particular popularity among other materials has acquired a stone. Mainly because it is quite simple to build a fence from a gabion with your own hands. How to choose the material, prepare the territory and build the fence, this article will tell.
The gabion fence looks elegant and blends well with the modern design of the site.
Fence from the gabion: advantages and features
Such a building material, like gabion, has become especially popular lately. Previously, it is not so often used. Landscape designers usually recommend using this material as a fence, as it not only creates a protective fence, but also is an original decoration of the site. The gabions won their positive rating due to their special characteristics:
- high degree of strength. The construction of gabions can withstand enormous loads,
- natural look design. The monolithic building looks harmoniously next to trees and shrubs, and also fits perfectly into the landscape,
Facilities from the gabion are simple and inexpensive.
- relatively low price. The total cost of building a fence made of reinforced concrete and brick will cost more than twice as much compared to the construction of a fence made of stone and mesh,
- ease and speed of construction. It is quite simple to build a fence from gabions; it can be done independently, without the involvement of specialists and in a short period of time. This fact also reduces the cost of construction,
- durability of a design. Durable galvanized metal frame and stone filler have a high degree of wear resistance, do not require regular painting, while maintaining their original attractive appearance for a long time,
- weather resistance. The stone fence does not collapse under the influence of various weather conditions,
- lack of foundation. For the construction of the fence from the gabion does not require pouring the fundamental base. It is enough to reinforce the supports with cement mortar,
- permissible construction on uneven terrain. This is possible due to the connection sections at different angles.
The fence from the gabion for a long time keeps an attractive appearance and does not require special care.
Types of gabions: photos of various designs
Initially, gabions were used as fortifications during the war, then - to strengthen the banks of rivers and lakes, slopes and hills, and even later - for arranging terraces in a hilly area. As a decorative structure, retaining wall and fencing products began to apply relatively recently.
Interesting! In modern construction, gabions are most often used for decorating a territory, although initially such constructions served as redoubts to protect soldiers during hostilities.
There are three ways to classify gabions. Types of products are distinguished by one of the characteristic features: geometric shape, type of mesh and type of filler.
By itself, the gabion has a simple structure consisting of a metal grid filled with stones.
Depending on the shape of gabions are in the form:
- flat horizontal structures, referred to as "Reno mattresses",
- vertical structures, which are called Jumbo boxes,
- cylindrical products.
According to the type of mesh gabions share:
- on frames made of welded reinforcement,
- on the grid of twisted wire having the shape of a hexagon.
The filler in the gabion, except for stones, can be brick, tile, slate, glass and other materials.
For the construction of the fence mainly take vertical boxes made of pieces of thick wire, connected by welding. Cylindrical gabions in this case serve as decorative pillars that adorn the structure. Often in the fences make niches for embedding garden furniture. If the top layer is covered with fertile soil, you can supplement the design with a flower garden or a shrub.
The design of the gabion allows you to make a fence of any width and height
Fence of gabions do it yourself: choose the shape and material
The fence of gabions is a three-dimensional mesh structure, inside the frame of which different materials are poured. The most common filler is stone, but sometimes use broken brick, the remains of tiles and other materials.
In the process of filling the frame, you can give the product a variety of decorative design, complement the composition with bright elements and ornaments. For the construction of structures you need significantly less materials than in the construction of a classic stone or brick fence. You only need the mesh for the frame and the corresponding filler. Thus, gabions that do not require penetration and pouring with concrete are more profitable financially and in terms of labor costs.
Stone fence in the grid without the use of cement mortar is mobile, therefore, during the creation of the structure does not need to take into account the shrinkage and raising the soil. If the soil rises or falls within 10 cm, the fence will not collapse or deform. Just a redistribution of stones.
Gabion combines perfectly with other materials: wood, concrete and metal.
Considerable weight of the design excludes the possibility of creating gates and wickets. However, other entrance options are suitable for such a fence, artistic forging looks especially beautiful against the background of gabions.
Gabion DIY: the choice of filler
When choosing a material for the filler, you need to take into account a number of factors. In particular, it is necessary to take into account the taste preferences of the owners of the house, the financial possibilities of the family, the location of the object. Most specialists in this field prefer stones. In this case, fit both artificial and natural breeds.
Color, weight and shape do not matter. The main criterion is size. Stones should be large. A great option for filling - basalt and granite stones. Fragments of diorite and quartzite also look good. The most popular in this series is ordinary sandstone. The material is financially beneficial, and also not inferior in quality and appearance to more expensive counterparts.
Small stones and pebbles also look great in gabion
When planning the construction of the fence from the gabion, you should pay attention to certain nuances and apply a number of tricks:
- The cost of large-sized stones is quite high, so the outer parts can be decorated with large stones in a wide fence, and the middle of the structure can be filled with gravel or construction waste, wrapped in geotextiles.
- The fence of gabions does not require pouring the foundation. In the case of use in the lower part of small pebbles, the framework of the structure should be deepened into the ground by 30 cm.
- The product will have a high degree of rigidity if large stones are carefully used as a filler. The photo of large-size stone fences shows that it is possible to build them without the use of a barrier net, erecting directly on the ground, removing only the top layer of tillage.
- If lightweight materials such as wood cuts serve as a filler in gabion, then it is advisable to use a denser material as the lower support layer. Crushed stone is suitable for this purpose.
Size and price of gabions
Factory gabions can be of various sizes. Usually galvanized wire with a diameter of 2.7 / 3.4 and 3.0 / 3.9 mm and with a PVC coating of 3.7 / 4.4 mm is taken as the basis. The width of almost all structures is 1 m. The length and height vary accordingly.
Table of standard dimensions of gabions
Helpful advice! Choosing a filler, you should pay attention to the fact that the size was more than 1/3 mesh cells. Otherwise, the stone will simply spill out through the holes.
Designs with a two-meter width can reach six meters in length, while having a height of only 30 cm.
The price of gabion intake includes the cost of the filler and the frame itself. They are sold by the piece. At the level of prices wag the quality of the material and method of manufacture. The classic version of the twisted mesh, as a rule, is much cheaper than the gabions made by the welding method. The value of the price is also influenced by the seasonal factor. Cost rises with increasing demand from March to June. In late summer, the price gradually decreases. The minimum size reaches the end of autumn.
Some impact in the price plan has external factors, such as the growth or collapse of world prices for metal and energy resources. Taking advantage of demand, suppliers can create an artificial stir, spreading false reports that products will be more expensive. Thus they get rid of excess stocks in warehouses.
The cost of gabion intake depends on the quality of materials, the type of wire and the type of filling.
We build a fence with our own hands: we prepare tools
In the construction of the fence will need a number of consumables, in particular:
- brackets for connecting parts of gabions. A simple wire in the shape of a spiral may come up,
- geotextile material
- steel pins for fixing the structure in the ground,
- steel braces performing the function of tightening walls located on opposite sides.
In order to secure work and reduce construction time, it is advisable to prepare additional tools, among which should be the following:
Construction of the gabion is used not only for the construction of fences, but also for other decorative elements of the site.
The main components of the building - stones and mesh. Choosing stones, you should consider the following factors:
- The size of the cobblestones. This value can be up to 40 cm. In this case, the width of the holes in the grid should be smaller.
- Density and strength of the material. It is necessary that the stone is strong enough and uniform.
- The shape of the stones. They can be oval, round or quadrangular. Stones of irregular shape for this purpose will not work.
- Resistance to temperature extremes and weathering.
- Aesthetic look. Stones have a decorative function, so they must be attractive in appearance and harmoniously fit into the overall design.
Choosing granite, you should take into account such an aspect as the radioactivity of stones.
The gabion constructions make wonderful decorative obstacles.
Fence from the welded mesh do-it-yourself: stages of work
The process of building a fence of mesh and stones does not require special skills or additional knowledge. It includes only four simple steps:
- Preparatory work, consisting of the selection and marking of the territory, the selection of materials and tools, budgeting.
- The erection of pillars. In the marked-up area, they dig holes and establish supports, which should go down one third to the ground. Columns are installed strictly vertically and fixed with cement mortar. Take into account the additional period of time required to harden the cement.
- The tension of the grid is carried out by fastening it to the posts with special fasteners made of zinc. It is desirable to coat the joints with a special anti-corrosion compound.
- Filling stones. Stones must be laid out manually, creating a presentable look.
The use of stones of various sizes in the gabion also looks very impressive.
Interesting to know! Translated from the French word "gabion" literally means - stones in the nets. Thus, the name fully characterizes the design features of the structure. The main advantages of such a fence are the safety of materials for a person and the absence of the need to care for them.
These are the main stages of the construction of fencing from gabions. Below we consider each of them in more detail.
Fence from the gabion do it yourself: preparatory work
Preparation begins with a choice of a place under the future fence. To this end, the surface is maximally leveled, cleaned of debris, weeds, including the roots of plants. Next, make calculations of all sizes, quantities of materials and make an estimate for which they acquire the grid and filler.
For accurate marking fit stretched string or fishing line. which will help to distinguish the entire perimeter of the proposed construction. After that, remove the top fertile soil layer and dig a trench of the desired size. To prevent the growth of grass, the bottom of the pit is covered with geotextile.
Gabion is excellent for building a fence on a rough surface.
The next step is to install the pillars on which the entire structure will be mounted. To this end, dig a few holes at a distance of 2 m from each other. Supports immersed in a third in the ground. For example, for a two-meter building take columns with a height of more than 3 m, dropping them to 120 cm in depth. After this support is poured cement mortar. Для его застывания и полной фиксации столбов понадобится минимум 2 дня.The pole must have a strictly vertical position. To do this, use a plumb line or level.
Fence made of stones: mounting design
Direct installation of the fence is the installation of the construction of the grid. To do this, first measure and cut out all the component parts and carry out their stretching on the supporting pillars. The fixation is provided by zinc fasteners.
The use of special brackets for the screed will help to create the necessary density of the joint parts. After fasteners, the mesh is treated with a special substance that prevents the formation of corrosion in places where the wire is cut.
Only after the fastening of the fastener properly and the processing of the grid proceed to the final stage - filling gabions. Each stone must be carefully laid in its place, creating a harmonious design. It is on the method of laying and distribution of the filler will depend on the appearance of the finished fence.
Reliability and stability of the design depends on the quality of the metal mesh and fasteners
Stones should be laid in layers, as close as possible to each other. If the construction is wide, then large stones are placed near the walls, and the middle is filled with sand or rubble. After the structure is filled with stones, its upper part is covered with a grid of the appropriate size.
Helpful advice! As a basis, you can buy gabions to collect industrial production from galvanized wire, use a grid of twisted wire with hexagonal cells, or weld a grid of thick steel rods.
Thus, it is quite simple to make a fence from gabions on your own. The main thing is to correctly select and calculate the amount of materials, as well as to strictly follow the given installation instructions. Compliance with all the rules will help to get a beautiful design, which will serve not only as a reliable fence, but also to please the eye for many years. Gabions are excellently suited as a territory decor. With their help, you can create a beautiful design near the pond or flower beds, build benches or strengthen the slopes.